ValiantFans.com Message Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Newest Books |
It is currently Nov 20, 2017 12:13:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:17:34 am 
Harbinger rank: Nensei
Harbinger rank: Nensei
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12:15 pm
Posts: 57
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Duane Swierczynski
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
I know Punk Mambo got a #0 (in 2014) & she has been a supporting player in both Ninjak & Shadowman; but has there been any plans to give her her own series (even a mini)?


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30:26 am 
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:01:36 am
Posts: 2382
Location: Saint Louis
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
I don’t think there has been anything out there for us to speculate on. It seems Valiant is content having her available to appear in whatever series needs that supernatural element as the plot demands.

_________________
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...


Top
  Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42:48 am 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03:41 pm
Posts: 1617
Location: Tacoma
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
During an interview I assisted in with David Baron (regarding his book STAINED on WhoDooTV) we asked him if he has done any writing for Valiant. He did mention that he did put in a script of Punk Mambo, one that involved a great deal of emotion and angst. Unfortunately, nothing came of it. I don't know if there has been any other interest in writing even a 4-part, but I would surely be interested!

_________________
Moose


Top
  Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:50:06 pm 
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:07:56 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Woods of Southeastern NC
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
During an interview I assisted in with David Baron (regarding his book STAINED on WhoDooTV) we asked him if he has done any writing for Valiant. He did mention that he did put in a script of Punk Mambo, one that involved a great deal of emotion and angst. Unfortunately, nothing came of it. I don't know if there has been any other interest in writing even a 4-part, but I would surely be interested!

I'd be interested in that story too!

_________________
***Support your local farmers!***


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24:09 pm 
Harbinger rank: Nensei
Harbinger rank: Nensei
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12:15 pm
Posts: 57
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Duane Swierczynski
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Cool, I was curious as I am new & she has been intriguing me. I do hope that she will get a mini in the future.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24:21 pm 
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:43:01 pm
Posts: 35
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
You know with all of VEI's one shots, it's a shame they don't try to create a yearly Halloween special (with better results than Shadowman #11). Something like a 3-story Shadowman/Mirage/Punk mambo anthology. Build a 'Treehouse of Horror' type reputation where we expect one every year and are ready to fork over the $3.99- $4.99. Get one acclaimed horror writer to dabble each year...or maybe some horror filmmakers.

A lot of people (I got duped) forked over $10 for DC'S HOUSE OF HORROR special last month--which amounted to making the justice league monsters. Some of the art was worth the purchase. But I do think there is a market...more so than Shadowman and a rap group rehash a story told too many times.

Punk Mambo could be a fun crypt keeper.

And if not, she should lead the VEI version of Justice League Dark. Rapture was pretty much just that. She's VEI's John Constantine (and the zero issue did little to deny that). Right now, Constantine's book is struggling (really since it left Vertigo), so I know they could steal away some of his fans if they tried. The key is to keep it dark and twisted.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49:42 pm 
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:07:56 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Woods of Southeastern NC
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
And to clarify, I don't mind crossovers between characters at all as long as it's organic and doesn't seem forced. If Punk Mambo and Mirage were roommates and went on adventures together, then it would work for me a long as there was a logical organic reason why they were roommates.

That's a big part of why I liked the Acclaim Quantum & Woody so much. The personal and organic connections between the main characters.

_________________
***Support your local farmers!***


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:49:57 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 9796
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
geocarr wrote:
And to clarify, I don't mind crossovers between characters at all as long as it's organic and doesn't seem forced. If Punk Mambo and Mirage were roommates and went on adventures together, then it would work for me a long as there was a logical organic reason why they were roommates.


That would be interesting but as you say, it'd have to be well done. But some Punk Mambo backstories of any variety would be welcome.

_________________
A man is what he thinks about all day.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:58:45 pm 
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:58:17 pm
Posts: 630
Location: The Faraway
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
I wouldn't mind a Punk Mambo mini but am not overly fussed if she continues to pop up as a supporting character. Given she's had relatively high visibility in other titles (and will appear in Bloodshot Salvation too) I'm thinking she'll play a part in the Shadowman series slated for March 2018.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09:14 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 5119
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Currently Ninjak
I'd like to see a bit more development before giving her a mini. Now Savage II, that's what I'm waiting for!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:03:52 am 
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:43:01 pm
Posts: 35
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
nycjadie wrote:
I'd like to see a bit more development before giving her a mini. Now Savage II, that's what I'm waiting for!


Yes! How do you end a mini like that and then not have any follow up announced? It's like if you went to see a Spider-Man movie and it ends with him winning the wrestling match.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:46:33 pm 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:40:14 am
Posts: 2903
Location: Utah
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
I'd like to see a bit more development before giving her a mini. Now Savage II, that's what I'm waiting for!


Yes! How do you end a mini like that and then not have any follow up announced? It's like if you went to see a Spider-Man movie and it ends with him winning the wrestling match.


I loved Savage, but if I remember correctly the sales on that title weren't good enough to warrant an immediate announcement of a follow-up. Hopefully, TPB sales are enough now to warrant one.

_________________
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.


Top
  Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:41:20 am 
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:43:01 pm
Posts: 35
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Quote:
I loved Savage, but if I remember correctly the sales on that title weren't good enough to warrant an immediate announcement of a follow-up.


:cry:

I feel like announcing a SAVAGE #0 or the next mini would do wonders in encouraging the TPB sales. Secret Weapons has been handled wonderfully. I guess this is the problem with this safety net mini-series style of publishing. You can't really create a market if people forget about a character. And it's a shame because his book is a good 'intro' to Valiant since it doesn't seem connected until the very end. In my descent into VEI, it was probably the 3rd book or so and part of the reason I kept going. It's an easy one to recommend.



Punk Mambo's character showing up in places has been great though, and I think they could certainly use her continued presence to help sell a future mini. Hopefully she'll be in the new Shadowman quite a bit.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:31:26 am 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Posts: 6661
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
jmatt wrote:
geocarr wrote:
And to clarify, I don't mind crossovers between characters at all as long as it's organic and doesn't seem forced. If Punk Mambo and Mirage were roommates and went on adventures together, then it would work for me a long as there was a logical organic reason why they were roommates.


That would be interesting but as you say, it'd have to be well done. But some Punk Mambo backstories of any variety would be welcome.

Yep, more Punk Mambo would be welcome if done right! I'm all for interconnected universe stuff happening when its done 'organically' as you say. The events and crossovers at VEI have often been described that way, and generally are well done in that fashion [Harby Wars, Armor Hunters, & The Valiant come to mind].

I have felt that over the last year or so, things are feeling more & more haphazard, with numerous characters slapped together at random for mini-series or one-shot adventures that have less & less importance, just to parade all the characters at once to the mythical New Reader. Continuity is slowly leaking out of the books. It feels like the whole VU is shrinking rather than growing.

There have been massively good books in that mix - don't get me wrong here - its just an overall impression on my part. I'm probably ranting too much again :lol:

_________________
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:02:12 am 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03:41 pm
Posts: 1617
Location: Tacoma
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
geocarr wrote:
And to clarify, I don't mind crossovers between characters at all as long as it's organic and doesn't seem forced. If Punk Mambo and Mirage were roommates and went on adventures together, then it would work for me a long as there was a logical organic reason why they were roommates.


That would be interesting but as you say, it'd have to be well done. But some Punk Mambo backstories of any variety would be welcome.

Yep, more Punk Mambo would be welcome if done right! I'm all for interconnected universe stuff happening when its done 'organically' as you say. The events and crossovers at VEI have often been described that way, and generally are well done in that fashion [Harby Wars, Armor Hunters, & The Valiant come to mind].

I have felt that over the last year or so, things are feeling more & more haphazard, with numerous characters slapped together at random for mini-series or one-shot adventures that have less & less importance, just to parade all the characters at once to the mythical New Reader. Continuity is slowly leaking out of the books. It feels like the whole VU is shrinking rather than growing.

There have been massively good books in that mix - don't get me wrong here - its just an overall impression on my part. I'm probably ranting too much again :lol:


I don't think many of the one-shots could be considered true canon, I dunno about mini's either. Maybe what they are trying to do is see if, when slapped together, it gets a fan's reaction. Re-introduction of Shadowman to a large population of (hopefully) new Valiant fans. Silly spin off of the three brothers adventures back in the middle ages just to keep them in people's minds. Faith's Christmas special, etc. I don't think these were meant to carry much weight, and probably shouldn't be considered cannon.

I think they are trying to find new paths, new adventures for our characters to go on. Bloodshot in the Deadside? Who would have thought Shadowman working to get Ray out would fit, but we are starting to see that the story line kind of works. We may never have had this development without a few of the one-shots.

_________________
Moose


Top
  Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18:21 am 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Posts: 6661
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
geocarr wrote:
And to clarify, I don't mind crossovers between characters at all as long as it's organic and doesn't seem forced. If Punk Mambo and Mirage were roommates and went on adventures together, then it would work for me a long as there was a logical organic reason why they were roommates.


That would be interesting but as you say, it'd have to be well done. But some Punk Mambo backstories of any variety would be welcome.

Yep, more Punk Mambo would be welcome if done right! I'm all for interconnected universe stuff happening when its done 'organically' as you say. The events and crossovers at VEI have often been described that way, and generally are well done in that fashion [Harby Wars, Armor Hunters, & The Valiant come to mind].

I have felt that over the last year or so, things are feeling more & more haphazard, with numerous characters slapped together at random for mini-series or one-shot adventures that have less & less importance, just to parade all the characters at once to the mythical New Reader. Continuity is slowly leaking out of the books. It feels like the whole VU is shrinking rather than growing.

There have been massively good books in that mix - don't get me wrong here - its just an overall impression on my part. I'm probably ranting too much again :lol:


I don't think many of the one-shots could be considered true canon, I dunno about mini's either. Maybe what they are trying to do is see if, when slapped together, it gets a fan's reaction. Re-introduction of Shadowman to a large population of (hopefully) new Valiant fans. Silly spin off of the three brothers adventures back in the middle ages just to keep them in people's minds. Faith's Christmas special, etc. I don't think these were meant to carry much weight, and probably shouldn't be considered cannon.

I think they are trying to find new paths, new adventures for our characters to go on. Bloodshot in the Deadside? Who would have thought Shadowman working to get Ray out would fit, but we are starting to see that the story line kind of works. We may never have had this development without a few of the one-shots.


I completely agree with you that this is what they seem to be doing - one-shots & mini-series stories that are meant to be fun, simple adventures with as many different characters as they can comfortably squeeze together [or uncomfortably, in the case of that recent Faith mini-series], no weight to them & and some indifference toward a larger canon so that no new reader feels alienated. Nothing wrong with carving out new paths for these characters to travel on, I'm all for that [personally I'm not the sort of fan who needs to see them doing the same thing they were doing back in 1992 just to feel like the company is being true to their fictional world]. And nothing wrong with humorous adventures either [I loved the new Thor movie, and both Guardians Of The Galaxy movies, by way of example].

Its just that trying to make 'new reader friendly' the most imperative drive behind the storytelling often makes for a watered down piece of entertainment that has a sameness across all of the attempts. This kind of thing doesn't appeal to me, especially with the number of titles they are doing it in lately, in an already small line-up. I recognize that they need to be doing something to pull in some new fans at all times, & I don't begrudge them that [even if it sounds that way] - I'm just not a fan of spending too much money on reading that kind of thing.

_________________
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:25:49 am 
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:43:01 pm
Posts: 35
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Quote:
I have felt that over the last year or so, things are feeling more & more haphazard...


I can see what you're saying.

Not having read HARBINGER/XO/BLOODSHOT/ARCHER&ARMSTRONG/XO(2012) as it came out, in retrospect it works together really well establishing different threads with different tones. Nothing steps on the other's toes and as the connections are realized it made it all that much more vital to read everything.

The previous years of Valiant/Book of Death/BS Reborn/Wrath all feel like natural progression. But the focus of 2017 seemed to be 'get more people reading'. It's worked (that's what got me in). But XO, NINJA-K, Massacre, Rapture, Secret Weapons, BS Salvation, War Mother, soon Q&W...all positioned as jumping on points. They've been great additions but....

There's been no event to tie all those stories (and the one shots) together yet. With HW2, we should at least understand Renegades better, and possibly how or why XO left/returned and I'm sure Lemire's got BSS lined right up to HW2. One or two stories could make this year's output look brilliant in retrospect.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32:10 am 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03:41 pm
Posts: 1617
Location: Tacoma
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
grendeljd wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
geocarr wrote:
And to clarify, I don't mind crossovers between characters at all as long as it's organic and doesn't seem forced. If Punk Mambo and Mirage were roommates and went on adventures together, then it would work for me a long as there was a logical organic reason why they were roommates.


That would be interesting but as you say, it'd have to be well done. But some Punk Mambo backstories of any variety would be welcome.

Yep, more Punk Mambo would be welcome if done right! I'm all for interconnected universe stuff happening when its done 'organically' as you say. The events and crossovers at VEI have often been described that way, and generally are well done in that fashion [Harby Wars, Armor Hunters, & The Valiant come to mind].

I have felt that over the last year or so, things are feeling more & more haphazard, with numerous characters slapped together at random for mini-series or one-shot adventures that have less & less importance, just to parade all the characters at once to the mythical New Reader. Continuity is slowly leaking out of the books. It feels like the whole VU is shrinking rather than growing.

There have been massively good books in that mix - don't get me wrong here - its just an overall impression on my part. I'm probably ranting too much again :lol:


I don't think many of the one-shots could be considered true canon, I dunno about mini's either. Maybe what they are trying to do is see if, when slapped together, it gets a fan's reaction. Re-introduction of Shadowman to a large population of (hopefully) new Valiant fans. Silly spin off of the three brothers adventures back in the middle ages just to keep them in people's minds. Faith's Christmas special, etc. I don't think these were meant to carry much weight, and probably shouldn't be considered cannon.

I think they are trying to find new paths, new adventures for our characters to go on. Bloodshot in the Deadside? Who would have thought Shadowman working to get Ray out would fit, but we are starting to see that the story line kind of works. We may never have had this development without a few of the one-shots.


I completely agree with you that this is what they seem to be doing - one-shots & mini-series stories that are meant to be fun, simple adventures with as many different characters as they can comfortably squeeze together [or uncomfortably, in the case of that recent Faith mini-series], no weight to them & and some indifference toward a larger canon so that no new reader feels alienated. Nothing wrong with carving out new paths for these characters to travel on, I'm all for that [personally I'm not the sort of fan who needs to see them doing the same thing they were doing back in 1992 just to feel like the company is being true to their fictional world]. And nothing wrong with humorous adventures either [I loved the new Thor movie, and both Guardians Of The Galaxy movies, by way of example].

Its just that trying to make 'new reader friendly' the most imperative drive behind the storytelling often makes for a watered down piece of entertainment that has a sameness across all of the attempts. This kind of thing doesn't appeal to me, especially with the number of titles they are doing it in lately, in an already small line-up. I recognize that they need to be doing something to pull in some new fans at all times, & I don't begrudge them that [even if it sounds that way] - I'm just not a fan of spending too much money on reading that kind of thing.


I agree, as I have dropped many of the one-shots. Still like the mini's, but I agree, the Faith mini was kind of torture! But, maybe (just maybe, somehow) it spawns an amazing series with Bloodshot and Faith, where Faith's constant optimism gets shattered and she get real REAL dark! Maybe (and I think this is more likely, and is my wish) War Mother gets an ongoing with Rai where first they are against each other, then team up to defeat the young kid that War Mother is raising, who is really...FATHER! :o :o

This is more realistic, and would have been spawned from War Mother's current mini, and from the one shot. I could dig that type of story as an ongoing.

I agree though, save the one shots for something more special, make the mini's have more weight, or just don't write them

_________________
Moose


Top
  Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10:39 pm 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Posts: 6661
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
Quote:
I have felt that over the last year or so, things are feeling more & more haphazard...


I can see what you're saying.

Not having read HARBINGER/XO/BLOODSHOT/ARCHER&ARMSTRONG/XO(2012) as it came out, in retrospect it works together really well establishing different threads with different tones. Nothing steps on the other's toes and as the connections are realized it made it all that much more vital to read everything.

The previous years of Valiant/Book of Death/BS Reborn/Wrath all feel like natural progression. But the focus of 2017 seemed to be 'get more people reading'. It's worked (that's what got me in). But XO, NINJA-K, Massacre, Rapture, Secret Weapons, BS Salvation, War Mother, soon Q&W...all positioned as jumping on points. They've been great additions but....

There's been no event to tie all those stories (and the one shots) together yet. With HW2, we should at least understand Renegades better, and possibly how or why XO left/returned and I'm sure Lemire's got BSS lined right up to HW2. One or two stories could make this year's output look brilliant in retrospect.

Always good to hear that new fans are still coming into the fold, and I'm glad to see the efforts are working. Cool to hear your breakdown perspective reading all the 5 years worth of the VEI library in a shorter period of time. :thumb:

I'm certainly looking forward to Harbinger Wars 2 next year!

_________________
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:12:18 pm 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Posts: 6661
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
geocarr wrote:
And to clarify, I don't mind crossovers between characters at all as long as it's organic and doesn't seem forced. If Punk Mambo and Mirage were roommates and went on adventures together, then it would work for me a long as there was a logical organic reason why they were roommates.


That would be interesting but as you say, it'd have to be well done. But some Punk Mambo backstories of any variety would be welcome.

Yep, more Punk Mambo would be welcome if done right! I'm all for interconnected universe stuff happening when its done 'organically' as you say. The events and crossovers at VEI have often been described that way, and generally are well done in that fashion [Harby Wars, Armor Hunters, & The Valiant come to mind].

I have felt that over the last year or so, things are feeling more & more haphazard, with numerous characters slapped together at random for mini-series or one-shot adventures that have less & less importance, just to parade all the characters at once to the mythical New Reader. Continuity is slowly leaking out of the books. It feels like the whole VU is shrinking rather than growing.

There have been massively good books in that mix - don't get me wrong here - its just an overall impression on my part. I'm probably ranting too much again :lol:


I don't think many of the one-shots could be considered true canon, I dunno about mini's either. Maybe what they are trying to do is see if, when slapped together, it gets a fan's reaction. Re-introduction of Shadowman to a large population of (hopefully) new Valiant fans. Silly spin off of the three brothers adventures back in the middle ages just to keep them in people's minds. Faith's Christmas special, etc. I don't think these were meant to carry much weight, and probably shouldn't be considered cannon.

I think they are trying to find new paths, new adventures for our characters to go on. Bloodshot in the Deadside? Who would have thought Shadowman working to get Ray out would fit, but we are starting to see that the story line kind of works. We may never have had this development without a few of the one-shots.


I completely agree with you that this is what they seem to be doing - one-shots & mini-series stories that are meant to be fun, simple adventures with as many different characters as they can comfortably squeeze together [or uncomfortably, in the case of that recent Faith mini-series], no weight to them & and some indifference toward a larger canon so that no new reader feels alienated. Nothing wrong with carving out new paths for these characters to travel on, I'm all for that [personally I'm not the sort of fan who needs to see them doing the same thing they were doing back in 1992 just to feel like the company is being true to their fictional world]. And nothing wrong with humorous adventures either [I loved the new Thor movie, and both Guardians Of The Galaxy movies, by way of example].

Its just that trying to make 'new reader friendly' the most imperative drive behind the storytelling often makes for a watered down piece of entertainment that has a sameness across all of the attempts. This kind of thing doesn't appeal to me, especially with the number of titles they are doing it in lately, in an already small line-up. I recognize that they need to be doing something to pull in some new fans at all times, & I don't begrudge them that [even if it sounds that way] - I'm just not a fan of spending too much money on reading that kind of thing.


I agree, as I have dropped many of the one-shots. Still like the mini's, but I agree, the Faith mini was kind of torture! But, maybe (just maybe, somehow) it spawns an amazing series with Bloodshot and Faith, where Faith's constant optimism gets shattered and she get real REAL dark! Maybe (and I think this is more likely, and is my wish) War Mother gets an ongoing with Rai where first they are against each other, then team up to defeat the young kid that War Mother is raising, who is really...FATHER! :o :o

This is more realistic, and would have been spawned from War Mother's current mini, and from the one shot. I could dig that type of story as an ongoing.

I agree though, save the one shots for something more special, make the mini's have more weight, or just don't write them


Now that's some great Crazy Theory Time material! OTV:VCR approved!! :thumb: :clap: :lol:

_________________
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Mambo?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04:21 pm 
Harbinger rank: Nensei
Harbinger rank: Nensei
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12:15 pm
Posts: 57
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Duane Swierczynski
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
Quote:
I have felt that over the last year or so, things are feeling more & more haphazard...


I can see what you're saying.

Not having read HARBINGER/XO/BLOODSHOT/ARCHER&ARMSTRONG/XO(2012) as it came out, in retrospect it works together really well establishing different threads with different tones. Nothing steps on the other's toes and as the connections are realized it made it all that much more vital to read everything.



I like how small the Valiant Universe is & how everything is written with the long term goal of creating awesome stories & a slower expansion of the Universe in a organic fashion. I also like how each book is it's own thing & when each event does occur it fuses with the individual ongoing stories unlike at Marvel/DC they are inorganic & often hamfisted in execution. Since there are less books to follow it is easier for me to follow books I might not originally do so at first glance. It also doesn't hurt that Valiant keeps the titles between 8 - 10 a year shifting focus to help keep things from snow balling out of control if I desire to I can follow ALL the given titles Valiant publishes a year & not feel forced to do so.

I am still not sure about Faith but will likely decide on her title once I've delved into Harbinger & gotten to know her character better. I am hoping Savage & Eternity comes out in GN & my local Libraries carry them. I know that I'll likely slowly collect my favorite Valiant books in HC if I can afford them so I can reread them later when I desire to - it'll depend on what they include & if they are not cost prohibitive compared to SC GN trades.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Keith, kinggirlfriend, TheeBaldMoose and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group