Bad Idea 2 (Pt. 1) Late 2022 Slate Revealed!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Bad Idea 2 (Pt. 1) Late 2022 Slate Revealed!

Post by TheFerg714 »

I'm having trouble with the formatting here, so I'm just gonna be lazy and copy/paste the posts I made on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/valiant/commen ... _revealed/

They're All Terrible (Matt Kindt/Ramon Villalobos)
The Ends (David and Maria Lapham)
Escape From Wyoming (Robert Venditti/Jorge Monlongo)
The Finder (Christos Gage/Tomas Giorello)
Werewolf x The Society of Fearless Frontiersman (Peter Milligan/Robert Gill x Robert Venditti/Tomas Giorello)
Orc Island (Joshua Dysart/Alberto Ponticelli)
Burning Man (Peter Milligan/Juan Jose Ryp)

Cover gallery: https://www.reddit.com/r/valiant/commen ... r_gallery/

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Bad Idea 2 (Pt. 1) Late 2022 Slate Revealed!

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Think I’m in on all of this! David Lapham doing writing is maybe the highlight. My only reservation is Christos Gage as his effort in Bad Idea 1 was abysmal which surprised me as his Valiant work was ok.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992

Post by possumgrease »

What in the Holy name of Org's Phlegm does this mean? Let's hope they don't reach their goal.

From the latest email:
Two equal and opposite forces were created on February 6th, 2020. BAD IDEA was announced for the first time, and instantly, the BAD IDEA haters were born.

BAD IDEA is returning this winter with a slate of awesome books kicked off by ESCAPE FROM WYOMING and ORC ISLAND. We're also, once again, only in select stores, not releasing variants and forgoing digital, among other things. The haters are, once again, hating.

BAD IDEA is not for everyone. But some are not content with loving what they love and letting others do the same. For some, ignoring BAD IDEA is not enough, they must see its flame extinguished.

Well haters, now's your chance. We've partnered with Kickstarter to build a campaign just for you. Beginning October 5th you can get everything you want -- you can STOP BAD IDEA -- but it's gonna cost you. If the STOP BAD IDEA Kickstarter campaign reaches its stretch goal of 2.6 million dollars then, outside of the Kickstarter offerings, BAD IDEA will cancel everything we've announced, scrap all future plans, and pack up shop for good.

Don't worry, we're gonna help you meet the challenge by offering the BAD IDEA fans a ton of cool books they can fund. That's right haters, to stop BAD IDEA you're going to have to fund a little more BAD IDEA.

If we cross our campaign goal of $10k, we'll create the long-awaited, much demanded sequel to THE HERO TRADE by David Lapham and Matt Kindt. Who exactly is this mysterious figure driving around selling superhero body parts under the cover of night? What's the deal with Captain Fabulous? How did he end up in the trunk anyway? Perhaps the answers lie in THE HERO TRADE 2. Seriously, it's finally here.

Want more? How about a 100+ page, brand-new HERO TRADE story entiitled PROJECT CHIMERA. Still more? What if it was part of a Complete HERO TRADE ultra-deluxe hardcover that included every series, one-shot, standalone, special and short story in the saga of THE HERO TRADE thus far?

Even more? MEGALITH. The legendary book is indeed real. We'll prove it by making issue #1 available in two sets of five copies each. Two lucky backers will be the first to witness Lewis LaRosa's magnum opus, and even get to share it with four of their best friends.

All this plus original art, toys, the first BAD IDEA merchandise, BAD IDEA debuts for two A+ level, monster talents and much, much more. Not to mention a sweet bonus for anyone that backs the campaign on Day One and a tie-in for New York Comic Con that could have only come from BAD IDEA (details on NYCC next).

But haters be warned, if the strength of your conviction fails you, if there are not enough of you, if you shrink in the spotlight, you will have succeeded only in delivering even more BAD IDEA to the world. And of course, your tireless roaring disapproval once more helped spread word of our comics.

It all starts this Wednesday!

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

No idea what all that means?? :?

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

The line-up is appealing. Limited distribution continues to be a deterrent. The entire Kickstarter thing is unbearably obnoxious.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:48:56 pm The line-up is appealing. Limited distribution continues to be a deterrent. The entire Kickstarter thing is unbearably obnoxious.
Yeah but what are the rules of the Kickstarter? Seems to say if they reach $2.6 million dollars then they will produce nothing but if they get to $10k it unlocks a bunch of stuff…obviously they won’t get to $2.6 million but if they get to $50k do you still get the stuff?? :?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

SwiftMann wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:48:56 pm The line-up is appealing. Limited distribution continues to be a deterrent. The entire Kickstarter thing is unbearably obnoxious.
Which part is obnoxious? Looks like every other kickstarter from a publisher except for the last stretch goal

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:07:14 am
Yeah but what are the rules of the Kickstarter? Seems to say if they reach $2.6 million dollars then they will produce nothing but if they get to $10k it unlocks a bunch of stuff…obviously they won’t get to $2.6 million but if they get to $50k do you still get the stuff?? :?
It was funded in the first 7 mins so at this point everything is getting made unless they raise 2.6 million

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

$5000 for 1 of 5 comics. :o
both sold. :o
People are keen.
This edition will never be reproduced again.
So does that mean it can be reprinted in a different format?

I was going to by into it, as in the kickstart campaign, for a hardcover and some books - but it just felt, well overpriced and over hyped. Still even then I was was going to, its only money and I have spare plus I get some nice books. In the end I may still. But unlikely, the whole premise just rubs me wrong, the kickstarter as an idea to put out their comics? I thought it was all about promoting comic shops, and getting people back into comic shops. Doing it differently and bypassing diamond distribution? Now they are bypassing the comic shops with a kickstarter and shipping direct? Oh well.

Anyway, hope the books distributed through comic shops are as good as previously. Something to look forward to.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

It really is. How do these companies/creators get off on selling single comics for $20-40? People will really pay way more than they should, just because they're using the Kickstarter/GoFundMe model. It makes no sense.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

I took a look at the campaign but it confused me. I cannot actually make out how many different books are being offered versus how many are just the same book in the a different format. It would be a lot less confusing if they used numbers instead of the "Hero Trade" for everything. I'm not sure how many "trades" are new stories. I've not pledged as I can't immediately figure it out and I don't think I should have to invest a bunch of time to decide which comic to buy. I'd rather spend spare time reading comics

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

magnus20009 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:48:46 pm I took a look at the campaign but it confused me. I cannot actually make out how many different books are being offered versus how many are just the same book in the a different format. It would be a lot less confusing if they used numbers instead of the "Hero Trade" for everything. I'm not sure how many "trades" are new stories. I've not pledged as I can't immediately figure it out and I don't think I should have to invest a bunch of time to decide which comic to buy. I'd rather spend spare time reading comics
Yeah that confused me too, I did tier 5 on hope it is multiple books :hope:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

My understanding is that the 2.6 million funding is treated as an intentional joke stretch goal for the sake of marketing.

You guys should all be getting whatever pledge material you’ve ordered as the project is funded already - and if for some bizarre reason they actually achieve 2.6 million in stretch goal pledges, they would literally release everything in the works including the Hero Trade… trades… & “stop” doing anything else.

I mean, if they actually made 2.6 million, why not close up shop and take the money, eh? :lol:

(Mind you, I suppose if they were actually able to rake in that much cash in for this, they would be fools to not keep publishing more to meet that astronomical demand :lol: )
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I do hope they will eventually get around to publishing the Megalith series as one of their “regular” line up releases. I imagine that is the plan. Those specially limited versions that were available in this Kickstarter campaign will be cool collectibles for those who care about that sort of thing. Whoever landed that will make a mint off selling the extra copies, if they didn’t already have a pre-arranged agreement with multiple people in order to afford the 5k…

I’m just looking forward to reading that comic whenever it comes out.
Last edited by grendeljd on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:40:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

double post

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

The only books that are of interest to me from this latest round of releases are Orc Island and possibly the Finder one-shot.

There are less stores in my area that are planning on carrying Bad Idea, so it’ll be more inconvenient for me to get them. I have to check and see, but I think one of the stores will be doing mail-orders. I’m not excited about paying shipping fees for brand new comics, but I suppose it’s better than eBay aftermarket prices plus shipping.