Value of VVSS without COA and/or Valiant sleeve?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

elektrokuter
2 posts down, 2 million to go
Value of VVSS without COA and/or Valiant sleeve?

Post by elektrokuter »

Hey all, random question about VVSS-
Do you consider the value lessened if it is missing the COA and/or the Valiant sleeve? I'm not looking to sell but to purchase to fill out my collection.

Years ago, over a decade probably I was looking to fulfill a childhood dream and complete a VH1 set. I came pretty close! But life/financial issues made me have to stop. Was only missing pricey books and some rare ones I knew I'd never get (BH 0 platinum).

Anyways I decided to see if I could fill some of those holes. Unfortunately unlike back then most of the VVSS I'm missing seem to be off the market and the last many years of comic shows here dealers stopping bringing any old Valiant- or currently if they have them they are much pricier.
I used to be super picky about having to have a COA AND the sleeve. I realize now that is probably not possible and Ill have to settle, but I'm curious about perceived insight about the value of the comic without it.

I saw a shop had a Shadowman 0 with no sleeve, no COA and the owner didnt want to open it to see if there was the stamp inside. The price seemed to high to take the risk with no coa/sleeve (the sigs were in the right spot but Im not sure about FMK on that book). Just looking for some insight from the experts. Thanks!

tford1972
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: Rai 0
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Re: Value of VVSS without COA and/or Valiant sleeve?

Post by tford1972 »

In my opinion the COA is absolutely crucial and I wouldn’t purchase one without it. I don’t care as much about the sleeve. Most of them are cracked and yellowed and have not fared well over time anyway.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Welcome to the boards!

Not every VVSS had a Valiant-branded sleeve. I don't have an accounting. As noted, they are often yellow, brittle and cracked. Those expensive 90's novelties cost a fortune and ruined more comics than I can count. The sleeves are interesting, but not integral, in my view. That's why I've never worried about which ones came in the sleeve and which didn't.

The COAs are key. There are many signed Valiant books from that era, some signed en masse. The COA and the signed book are hand in hand.

I buy a lot of really old books. I have a couple where they are the lowest graded condition found. I have them because they are rare, possibly less than 20 known copies in some cases. I get them because I don't have much choice. Maybe they will eventually be a temporary placeholder. Maybe not. We shall see.

You might take the same position for a VVSS without a COA. That being said, I don't typically buy coverless comics, and a VVSS without a COA is kind of the same, in my opinion. It's just a placeholder, and the value is probably fractional. Like the EW27. Instead of $150+, maybe it's $10.

elektrokuter

Post by elektrokuter »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:13:47 pm Welcome to the boards!

Not every VVSS had a Valiant-branded sleeve. I don't have an accounting. As noted, they are often yellow, brittle and cracked. Those expensive 90's novelties cost a fortune and ruined more comics than I can count. The sleeves are interesting, but not integral, in my view. That's why I've never worried about which ones came in the sleeve and which didn't.

The COAs are key. There are many signed Valiant books from that era, some signed en masse. The COA and the signed book are hand in hand.

I buy a lot of really old books. I have a couple where they are the lowest graded condition found. I have them because they are rare, possibly less than 20 known copies in some cases. I get them because I don't have much choice. Maybe they will eventually be a temporary placeholder. Maybe not. We shall see.

You might take the same position for a VVSS without a COA. That being said, I don't typically buy coverless comics, and a VVSS without a COA is kind of the same, in my opinion. It's just a placeholder, and the value is probably fractional. Like the EW27. Instead of $150+, maybe it's $10.
Thanks for the insight both of you! Its funny I swear Ive posted here before back in the day based on my account creation date too. Even bought from the bst I thought, who knows lol.

Yes I do feel similar about the COA, if this copy of Shadowman was cheap I could probably do what you said and just have one in my collection in case I never come across one again, But in this case Ill probably have to pass based on the asking price.

And youve reminded me why I dont have Bloodshot 6 and XO database. Was hard for me to find b/c they were missing tells the other real vvss copies had like the seal.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

My advice is don’t settle without the coa, these books do pop up from time to time! I have a geomancer on eBay right now I’ve you’re interested, shoot me an offer! I’ve had two complete sets twice, just need another EW to complete it again…if anyone has one they’d like to sell! . If I saw that book without the coa id pay more than $10, but probably not a lot more, it’s still has the notarized stamp but finding the coa on itself won’t be possible…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tford1972
Valiant fan since: Rai 0
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O

Post by tford1972 »

Psi Lords VVSS on eBay today. These don’t pop up very often.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385520320715?m ... name=11021

riftt
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by riftt »

I find it incredibly strange that you would consider a VH1 set incomplete without stuff like a printer error copy of Bloodshot 0 or some signatures on an extremely common book. I assure you you can have a complete VH1 set without them, and that your childhood self cared about what was between the covers, not printer errors.