Collecting difficulties

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Collecting difficulties

Post by xodacia81 »

I've been wondering this for a while now, but how many other people are like me, in that they can locate the "harder" issues but often, the "regular" ones seem to elude them? I'm talkling about finding the lower prints and or variants, but that finding simple things like Bloodshot # 5, Solar # 36, Magnus # 37 or XO #23 become hunts that end up with you guys finding other issues...in fact, every issue but those you've found? I mention the above because I had trouble finding all of them, and have yet to get Solar # 36. If I did, I'd have everything in Solar through #55. I'm just curious-how many others have had trouble finding those simple issues? Honestly, I laugh at my own misfortune. If I didn't, I'd cry. Anybody else have stories like this they'd want to share?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I finally broke down and bid on a single issue of Harbinger 7 on eBay. I bought it and several other single issues from one fellow.

And then I got a package of 10 or so in a long box that I bought on eBay.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Oh man. That sounds like when I spent 4 dollars for a late issue of XO, at a convention, only to find it not 10 minutes later in good condition in the 50 cent bin of another stall that had just finished putting up the bins. Yes, I bought it, and yes, I kept both copies. I don't mind doubles, but I do mind paying too much.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2
Re: Collecting difficulties

Post by Dr. Solar »

xodacia81 wrote:I've been wondering this for a while now, but how many other people are like me, in that they can locate the "harder" issues but often, the "regular" ones seem to elude them? I'm talkling about finding the lower prints and or variants, but that finding simple things like Bloodshot # 5, Solar # 36, Magnus # 37 or XO #23 become hunts that end up with you guys finding other issues...in fact, every issue but those you've found? I mention the above because I had trouble finding all of them, and have yet to get Solar # 36. If I did, I'd have everything in Solar through #55. I'm just curious-how many others have had trouble finding those simple issues? Honestly, I laugh at my own misfortune. If I didn't, I'd cry. Anybody else have stories like this they'd want to share?
Sometimes all you have to do is post on VF.com.

I have extras of Bloodshot 5, Solar 36 and Magnus 37 if you want them. Your's for the price of shipping.

PM me if interested. Maybe you like the thrill of the hunt...

You're on your own for X-O 23. I only have one copy.

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

If I had any of them I would gladly give them to you. Alas, I don't.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Chiclo wrote:I finally broke down and bid on a single issue of Harbinger 7 on eBay. I bought it and several other single issues from one fellow.

And then I got a package of 10 or so in a long box that I bought on eBay.
Yep, that's generally how it happens.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

There are a few early issues that I am struggling to get and that seem increasingly bid on by others on ebay. I am still working toward a full reading set with variants coming as they may, and upgrades of well, grade, as and when.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

It is kinda funny how one goes to track down, say, Bloodshot: Last Stand, finds two mint copies, but if they were looking for it, could not find a simple issue like Solar 36. I definitinly feel ya, Leon. If my budget allowed, I'd probably already have a few double sets. I may be in luck, however, as one of the shops in my area has a 70% off sale this weekend, while another is having 50% off backissues, plus reduced-5,10,15%-discounts off backissues. Normally, the guy gives you 10,20 and 30% off depending how much one purchases. So, knowing the one store has some of what I need and knowing the other is going to look in the archives to see if they do have some of the ones I'm looking for-they already looked for Rai 0-5, with no dice-I may clean up.