How was Unity 2000 supposed to unite the Valiant universes?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

RobInOttawa wrote:so the ending doesn't really count.
No ending every really counts...that's why they invented the RetCon.

:thumb:
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

MProyas wrote:

But does that mean retcons are a good thing, or not?

Consider:

1. A good fix may arise (can't think of any good major examples at present).

2. A more confusing status may ensue (DC being the masters of this of course).

Got to admit that generally I am not a fan of retcons. However previous events can be shown to be undone without invalidating them - ie the dream in X-O 68 doesn't really invalidate the preceeding issues and stories, being more a coda to the series (that could be simply explained away itself).

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

WARNING drunken SPOILERS

Enter the Valiant universe... ONE earth, and a lost land that enabled some play.

ENTER XO68... :!: :mad: A dream?!? A DREAM!??!?! In the words of Jedi: FU!!!!!11

:!: :!: :!:

Enter Ack-Lame. A series of independent comics tied together by a publisher's name, BTE's letters, and Magnus' letters. :wink: (hehe)

:|

Then comes the end of Acclaim. (TWT has more on this.) And there was one last ditch effort to make some $$$$ from the comics division.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

"I think so Brain, but how much would we have to pay Jim Shooter and how much control would we have to give him for the project?"

THUS, after sitting on the sidelines since 1992, JS gets a chance to "make it right", he goes all out. Jack was killed, resurrected, and killed again in 99. (Rai 0 Bible thumpers appeased. :roll: ) In Unity 2K #4 we start to see the "I'm gonna get you sucka" mentality of Jim come out.

ANOther dimension?

WFT? I mean WTF?!?!?!?!

Some OTHER place is in control if it all?!?!?!?! THIS IS VALIANT!?!?!?!!

So, where does VALIANT exist? it's the pages of the books themselves. They are magic. It's the "magic Ink" that holds and binds the universe together.

There you have it. :roll:

Now you can go burn some comics to try and get the above out of you mind.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Unblessed wrote: a bunch of boozy ramblings
Anyone who read that (and understood it) - don't say I didn't warn you!!! Last post of pg. 1 in this thread.......

:P

-slym

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

slym2none wrote:
Unblessed wrote: a bunch of boozy ramblings
Anyone who read that (and understood it) - don't say I didn't warn you!!! Last post of pg. 1 in this thread.......

:P

-slym
Can you translate Unblessed's last post for me please! :?

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Unblessed wrote:So, where does VALIANT exist? it's the pages of the books themselves. They are magic. It's the "magic Ink" that holds and binds the universe together.

There you have it. :roll:
I think if UB had just posted this, it would have been a lot clearer to anyone who hasn't read the scripts.

-slym

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

slym2none wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Unblessed wrote:"Magic Ink"

And this was to be Mr. Shooter's F U to all those that destroied his universe, not the fans.
Sorry if I'm being a bit dense - 'magic ink'? :?
Trust me - you are better off not knowing.

:|

-slym ( :thumb: )
There - now that I understand. thanks to slym and unblessed both.

RobInOttawa
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by RobInOttawa »

I love Unblessed's summary of the entire Valiant universe, Acclaim, and the Unity 2000 story written by Jim Shooter.

Purely awesome and to the point :D

The "magic ink" refers to the developing plot in the unwritten Unity 2000 issue #6. There is an Adobe PDF of Jim Shooter's script that I read before I started this thread.

In Jim Shooter's script, he essentially undoes the Valiant Universe by the lamest plot ever. However since Jim Shooter's writing is always quality work, the plot actually makes sense and is fun (for 98% of the way) to read. It is like visiting old friends whom you've missed.

Near the end of the script, you come to the realization that Unity 2000 seems to be written out of revenge or vindication.

Essentially, the Acclaim VH3 version of the Valiant universe is the true universe. The VH2 (Acclaim's first reboot of the Valiant characters) and VH1 (the classic and best) versions of the Valiant universes are not genuine and need to be destroyed. Jim Shooter undoes all of the great work that he contributed to in order to validate the Acclaim VH3 universe.

It is only at the end of the script that I have a problem with, and therefore am grateful that the ending was never published. The Valiant universe that I really enjoy is undone, never to exist, still leaving the mess that is VH3.

To be fair, maybe VH3 would have been interesting. We'll never know because Acclaim went bankrupt.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

RobInOttawa wrote:I love Unblessed's summary of the entire VALIANT universe, Acclaim, and the Unity 2000 story written by Jim Shooter.

Purely awesome and to the point :D

The "magic ink" refers to the developing plot in the unwritten Unity 2000 issue #6. There is an Adobe PDF of Jim Shooter's script that I read before I started this thread.

In Jim Shooter's script, he essentially undoes the VALIANT Universe by the lamest plot ever. However since Jim Shooter's writing is always quality work, the plot actually makes sense and is fun (for 98% of the way) to read. It is like visiting old friends whom you've missed.

Near the end of the script, you come to the realization that Unity 2000 seems to be written out of revenge or vindication.

Essentially, the Acclaim VH3 version of the VALIANT universe is the true universe. The VH2 (Acclaim's first reboot of the VALIANT characters) and VH1 (the classic and best) versions of the VALIANT universes are not genuine and need to be destroyed. Jim Shooter undoes all of the great work that he contributed to in order to validate the Acclaim VH3 universe.

It is only at the end of the script that I have a problem with, and therefore am grateful that the ending was never published. The VALIANT universe that I really enjoy is undone, never to exist, still leaving the mess that is VH3.

To be fair, maybe VH3 would have been interesting. We'll never know because Acclaim went bankrupt.
When I first read the phrase 'magic ink' I was worried it was something else - like a guy's y'know, 'special ink'...or something. I am naturally reassured now.

Having read the proposed ending to U2000 #6 I agree that it would have undone all that made VALIANT great it seems. In an earlier post thread (somewhere) I asked if this was something JS was doing becasue he had to (told to do so by bosses) or if there was a revenge motive involved, much as you suggest. I wonder what the thoughts of others on the forum are on this matter.

RobInOttawa

Post by RobInOttawa »

Having read the proposed ending to U2000 #6 I agree that it would have undone all that made VALIANT great it seems. In an earlier post thread (somewhere) I asked if this was something JS was doing becasue he had to (told to do so by bosses) or if there was a revenge motive involved, much as you suggest
I personally don't suggest that there is a revenge motive involved. Jim Shooter's writing is always top-notch, but it is disappointing to see the Valiant VH1 universe undone. If you read the previous thread on Unity 2000, there is a long discussion on whether it is out of a sense of revenge or whether Jim Shooter was following the direction of the Acclaim editors.

In an ideal world, the people in charge of Valiant, after Jim Shooter left the company, would not have decided to do huge runs of comic issues. 1,000,000 copies of Bloodshot #1, Rai #9, etc :!: and also expand the number of titles too quickly. Also, Acclaim would not have decided to change the demographic to appeal to different readers than their primary audience.

Who knows what Valiant could have been like today :?

Zaphod
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

leonmallett wrote:
MProyas wrote:

But does that mean retcons are a good thing, or not?
No, I am never suggesting retcons are a good thing. just that no ending is sacred anymore.
:?
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter