The Question for the ages.....

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Magnus #1-8 or Solar #1-10

Magnus
35%
Solar
59%
Bowl of ice cream.... with choclate
6%

Total votes: 51

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
The Question for the ages.....

Post by Elveen »

welll maybe not... but here it is....

So I read Magnus #1-8 earlier this summer...

and I am currently reading Solar #1-10 (I'll finish tonight)

...and here is the question...

which is a better comic book run?

(this is kinda like the DeNero vs. Pacino, who is the better actor question)

[if this has been asked before, sorry, I looked for it, but I couldn't find it]

So boys.... which one is it??????
Last edited by Elveen on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:16:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Just depends on who you like better. Magnus would be my choice, but Solar wouldn't be far behind. Both are excellent reads.

Ben(inabox)
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Ben(inabox) »

For some reason, I never really liked Magnus all that much :bugeyed: So I would have to go with Solar... Plus, I just like Barry Windsor-Smith!

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

I vote Rai 1-5

no, I mean Solar...

wait, really it's Magnus....

or was it Harbinger 1-7 :hm: :lol:
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

RobInOttawa
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by RobInOttawa »

I would vote for Magnus, although Solar comes up extremely close. Of course all the pre-unity books are awesome.

acc205
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by acc205 »

tough choice.

Solar should really go to 11 because of that fight with the eggbreakers and gilad.

I think Magnus just beats out Solar (even with the alpha and omega inserts, the solar splittings and mergings, the first harada, the death of the penguins, the first xo armor and the fight with the armor AND the whole erica pierce thing).

Magnus has Steel Nation and the Rai Invasion story and Rai is just too cool.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

acc205 wrote:tough choice.

Solar should really go to 11 because of that fight with the eggbreakers and gilad.

I think Magnus just beats out Solar (even with the alpha and omega inserts, the solar splittings and mergings, the first harada, the death of the penguins, the first xo armor and the fight with the armor AND the whole erica pierce thing).

Magnus has Steel Nation and the Rai Invasion story and Rai is just too cool.
magnus also has the card inserts....

but Solar 1-10 contains all the most important plot lines on the early Valiant universe... including some MAJOR 1st apperances....

...right now I can't decide... (I just re-read solar 7 & 8...) :hm:

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

I never got into the Magnus books, but I did just read Solar 0-12 for the first time ever; I recently started collecting books that were out of my price range 12 years ago. Holy crap! I never imagined it would be that good. I was confused by the by the two Seleski's and Solar, but then it just all came together, literally, and blew me away. What an amazing piece of writing.That said, I vote for Solar! :atomic:

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

It's like asking who your favorite child is.

speedracex
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by speedracex »

yeah I really enjoyed both storylines, cant make that decision :thumb:

k_c_collectibles
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!

Post by k_c_collectibles »

I vote for Alpha and Omega. That story is in the early Solar issues :thumb:

Chris

P.S. I would have chosen X-O if it was one of the choices though... :P
Hundreds of Valiant and Acclaim comics for GREAT prices! http://www.webstore.com/shop.php?user_id=96791

Chuck
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!

Post by Chuck »

Solar.

The character has so many possibilities :atomic:

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

jedimarley wrote:It's like asking who your favorite child is.
That's exactly what I was going to say.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

this is kinda like the DeNero vs. Pacino, who is the better actor question
Definitely De Niro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHT9XVMW3LE

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

After reading Solar #10 today.. I am going to go with....

Solar. Solar over Magnus....

Here is why:
-BWS
-What a great begining to a comic... there are two Solars.. then there are 3 of them, (all three are shown in one pannel in Phil's apartment)
-The creation of Mothergod (she does'nt even know she is the Mothergod yet!)
-Spider Aliens (when Solar first uses his "X-ray" vision and sees the anachroid skeleton .... sweet!
-Toyo...
-Buck Mchenery and Geoff Mchenery (Geomancers)
-The Eternal Warrior (even with a dorky haircut)
-Erica's baby (then Solar "killing" the baby)
-The development of Solar figuring out how to be a hero...
-The spider alien champion in the XO-Manowar almost defeating Solar
-Solar hooking up with the fat chick.... then moving on to the hottie Gayle.
-Contnuinity (with the mention of the Harby kids fighting the Eggbreakers)
-Solar #10 cover .... I still hold it with reverence!

and last but not least.....

-Laying the groundwork for the Unity Crossover... :thumb:

AND....

I haven't even read Alph and Omega yet (I just got Solar #7 and #8 so it will be my first time reading the entire, complete story..... I am going to read all ten parts all together.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

So, for me, ..... I'll take Solar.....

until next time I read Solar first, then Magnus #1-8 :D

(By the way.... I take DeNero over Pacino... by a nose!)

RobInOttawa

Post by RobInOttawa »

You make a really strong and convincing argument for Solar. I'll play devil's advocate and argue for Magnus.

1) Magnus is the first Valiant superhero book
2) There is tight continuity throughout (also for Solar).
3) First book to introduce the idea of coupons for a Zero issue book (good and bad idea).
4) First to have a flip book that introduces Rai.
5) Magnus is not a traditional superhero and usually beats his opponents by using his brain and outsmarting them.
6) Magnus questions his role in being a "robot fighter"
7) Battles are not pointless and the villains don't always come back for no apparent reason.

Magnus is also the first book that showed me that there are better comics than Marvel. Although I like "the big three" in the DC universe, I never really collected DC comics.

Leeja seemed like a really spoiled daughter of president Claine, but the writers grew her character naturally over several issues. Usually, only superhero women are strong willed and tough, although still need to be saved occasionally by the male super hero. Leeja saved Magnus a few times after she naturally became a better person.

Magnus also took Russ Manning's original thought provoking ideas and emphasized real world dilemmas in a distant future. In some ways we are are like North Am where technology is taking over our lives. Today, instead of robots, we have computers, cell phones, ipods, and even the 'crackberry' to always be connected.

Magnus also takes place in the "Ottawa Sector" so this is kind of cool. Like Zepher joked to Magnus, he must be "Canadian"

The Rai flip-book also showed Japan transform into a dragon and lift into space.

I have to point out that the art work in both Solar and Magnus is top-notch and natural looking. In most of the later Valiant (Acclaim) comics, the characters look like they've been injected with steroids are always posing.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

RobInOttawa wrote:You make a really strong and convincing argument for Solar. I'll play devil's advocate and argue for Magnus.

1) Magnus is the first VALIANT superhero book
2) There is tight continuity throughout (also for Solar).
3) First book to introduce the idea of coupons for a Zero issue book (good and bad idea).
4) First to have a flip book that introduces Rai.
5) Magnus is not a traditional superhero and usually beats his opponents by using his brain and outsmarting them.
7) Battles are not pointless and the villains don't always come back for no apparent reason.

Magnus is also the first book that showed me that there are better comics than Marvel. Although I like "the big three" in the DC universe, I never really collected DC comics.

Leeja seemed like a really spoiled daughter of president Claine, but the writers grew her character naturally over several issues. Usually, only superhero women are strong willed and tough, although still need to be saved occasionally by the male super hero. Leeja saved Magnus a few times after she naturally became a better person.

Magnus also took Russ Manning's original thought provoking ideas and emphasized real world dilemmas in a distant future. In some ways we are are like North Am where technology is taking over our lives. Today, instead of robots, we have computers, cell phones, ipods, and even the 'crackberry' to always be connected.

Magnus also takes place in the "Ottawa Sector" so this is kind of cool. Like Zepher joked to Magnus, he must be "Canadian"

The Rai flip-book also showed Japan transform into a dragon and lift into space.

I have to point out that the art work in both Solar and Magnus is top-notch and natural looking. In most of the later VALIANT (Acclaim) comics, the characters look like they've been injected with steroids are always posing.
Rob NICE post!

Let me comment...

First I agree, Magnus #1-8 is an A+, top notch book, but for the sake of a double devil's advocate... allow me....

Remember, I agree with all you wrote ( but like the DeNero vs. Pacino debate, there has to be awinner, but both are GREAT)...

But I will make a few comments...

2) There is tight continuity throughout
Yes, but I define continuity as, what happens between different books is consistent, in Magnus Robot Fighter, there were no other books happening at the same time (in the future), but With Solar, we have Harby (as one expample, not mention XO, where Solar goes to Orb ind.)... the Harby kids got into a fight with the eggbreakers, and it is mentioned/dealt with in the Solar book... I consider that continuity....
Very true, (one of the best parts about the early Magnus books IMO), but I believe this is even stronger in the Solar books... while Solar is UNQUESTIONABLY the most "Powerful" entinty... he constiantly has to use his brain to defeat his enemies... the XO alien, the baby, the "other" Phil (Phil of the future :P :lol: [if you don't have kids, you don't get it]) So while magnus is not the "Incredible" Magnus "Magnus....killl... Magnus ... smash" I believe Solar is written as a more cerebral Hero...
Yes.... but again I find this ("who am I?" "Do I belong here")more strongly written about in the Solar books... Magnus questions his defending North Am., and infact, turn against No. Am. and becomes a goph... but Solar even ponders SUCIDE! That is a person questioning his role... it is not untill #7 and #8 where Solar decided, ...Yes, I will kill the spider aliens.. they deserve it. And even after that in issue #9, he does not know what he should do about Erica and her baby... (Solar says something like.... maybe He, erica, and the baby should leave the earth and live "somewhere" where they could not do any harm... Nine issues into his book.... the main character is still questioning himself... Magnus questioned his role... but made a decision, to become a goph... Solar has no idea what his role is....
Nothing to say here... PERFECTLY SAID... leeja kicks butt! (although there is a similar development in Erica, execpt she becomes a "bad girl" that sexually mollests her son...)

So I agree with all that you said... I just think (IMO) that Solar has some of the points you listed as postivies for Magnus... as even BIGGER positives for Solar.

But Rob.... an excellent post!

That was fun.....

(if me stealing ZWH's posting style doesn't bring him back.... nothing will, just kidding Z)

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Heath wrote:
jedimarley wrote:It's like asking who your favorite child is.
That's exactly what I was going to say.
I don't have kids - but ditto!

-slym

Rufusharley
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!

Post by Rufusharley »

I'd have to say Solar. I really dig a comic that has physics and space-time at it's heart.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

RobInOttawa wrote:
I also like the fact that Magnus questions why he is "killing" freewills. The dilemna of persecuting freewills is a parallel to racism. I really liked the that in Magnus you had predjudices being fought against. Magnus was cool because it addressed a broad range of social issues in addition to being a good superhero comic.

The Mighty Drew

Post by The Mighty Drew »

Definitely a tough choice, but I have to go with Magnus. The "Steel Nation" storyline from the first four issues is, in my opinion, one of the greatest comic stories ever written.

I can't say much more than what's already been said about this character. But it should be pointed out that Magnus, unlike Solar, was written without any changes to his origin. Jim Shooter was able to take the original Gold Key concept from the 60's and show that Russ Manning's creation was still as relavant and timely for a 1990's audience. That's really saying something considering how dark comics had become by then.

Don't get me wrong about Solar. The early Solar run is probably among my personal Top 20 of the greatest comic storylines ever. But the early Magnus run is in the Top 5.
19) VALIANT WILL RETURN.
It'll be a celebration of complete chaos and destruction.
It'll be a glorious time of weeping. The earth will shift on its axis.

cobra_commander
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!

Post by cobra_commander »

Ben(inabox) wrote:For some reason, I never really liked Magnus all that much :bugeyed:
GET. OFF. THIS. MESSAGE. BOARD. NOW !

:lol:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Solar and Magnus in those runs were both absolutely incredible...there are very few comics that are as well done as them, but for some reason I would choose Solar...maybe because it's slightly more cerebral and provokes more thought?...I don't know...

why don't you make this a poll Elveen... :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

cobra_commander

Post by cobra_commander »

Thought provoking and cerebral though Solar is...

My choice is for MAGNUS

Why?

Its so good, after you've read STEEL NATION, you get the feeling like its gone BEYOND a comic.

And like ALL great comics,
WATCHMEN, DARK KNIGHT, SANDMAN, KILLING JOKE...

it doesn't just STAND OUT in your memory years and years after you've read it...But it HAUNTS you...

MAGNUS hands down. F*ck the kids!

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Ok, so now it is a poll... so vote fellas!