What kind of incentive stuff...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Do you want new incentive/variants?

Yes, bring 'em on
24%
Nope, can't stand 'em
16%
Maybe, but only as long as they don't go overboard
57%
Only if they are offered to members for a discounted price
No votes
I only like Ice Cream variants
3%

Total votes: 37

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
What kind of incentive stuff...

Post by Daniel Jackson »

...would you like to see from the new Valiant? More Golds, reds or send away coupon issues? Or should they have cool things like the Magnus uncut sheet or the limited edition box for the VE cards? Or maybe like some of the stuff Acclaim did like the Valiant Voyeurs or the Turok Raptor claw? What do think?
Last edited by Daniel Jackson on Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:46:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

How about something for this board, or better yet, none at all.

Incentives are part of what brought on the crash of the 90's, I don't particularly want that to happen again. I'm as guilty as anyone of tracking down variants, but it's mostly because hunting them is fun. I can still read the story without them and don't lose much if anything if I don't get them.

I'm not trying to torpedo the idea, I'm just nervous about the way things are going right now.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I am in the middle... I liked the variants (golds) but I don't want the new company to go overboard....

The magnus cards were cool, I happen to think that incentives are part of VALIANT... but only just a bit....

First establish great story telling.... then throw in some variants....

IMO :thumb:

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

MagnusRF wrote:How about something for this board, or better yet, none at all.

Incentives are part of what brought on the crash of the 90's, I don't particularly want that to happen again. I'm as guilty as anyone of tracking down variants, but it's mostly because hunting them is fun. I can still read the story without them and don't lose much if anything if I don't get them.

I'm not trying to torpedo the idea, I'm just nervous about the way things are going right now.
I say NONE. I like tracking the old ones down now, but I didn't buy them when they came out. I've never bought a variant when it first comes out. Ever.
ASM Crossover Home

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

Elveen wrote:First establish great story telling.... then throw in some variants....

IMO :thumb:
Wow....that sounded much more positive than my post. :P

It's a great philosophy, though! :thumb:

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

400yrs wrote:I say NONE. I like tracking the old ones down now, but I didn't buy them when they came out. I've never bought a variant when it first comes out. Ever.
That's a good philosophy too. They generally spike, then drop like a rock, so waiting is the smart way to do it. I'm afraid I'll forget them if I wait too long though..... :hm:

That probably say a lot about how much I really want them. :|

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

None just great stories,and great art. Works for me.

David

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Until the crash, I wasn't interested in the golds and variants because of the huge price tags they had. Most likely I'm not going after any new variants if it's going to be same way.

With that said though do you think it would be cool for the new VU to have a "members club" where fans could get first dibs on items like that at a substantial discount? Personally, I think this idea would be work well because it would give the new owners a feel for how well a new book will be received.

k_c_collectibles
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!

Post by k_c_collectibles »

I think lots of cool items would be nice. You could do a number of different things relating to the characters.

X-O Manowar - gold colored plastic rings, spider alien autopsy kits (like the ones that Taddeo did for Zoom Suit), etc

Shadowman - Shadowman masks, Master Darque temporary tattoos, etc

Bloodshot - Vials of the Blood of Heroes, etc

These are just a few examples of cool stuff that can probably be produced fairly inexpensively.

Incentive books sould be cool! I think that send-away books could be done like John Taddeo did by entering codes from all the books needed to qualify for a free comic (plus shipping charges). That way you do not have to physically remove something from your comics to qualify for a send-away book.

Gold books could be done for comic shops, but in a lower quantity given the smaller market these days. Probably a gold book for every 15 copies of a regular book ordered or so.

These are just my ideas - Anyone else have any? :hope:

Chris
Last edited by k_c_collectibles on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:02:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hundreds of Valiant and Acclaim comics for GREAT prices! http://www.webstore.com/shop.php?user_id=96791

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Until the crash, I wasn't interested in the golds and variants because of the huge price tags they had. Most likely I'm not going after any new variants if it's going to be same way.

With that said though do you think it would be cool for the new VU to have a "members club" where fans could get first dibs on items like that at a substantial discount? Personally, I think this idea would be work well because it would give the new owners a feel for how well a new book will be received.
The members club idea would be pretty cool, seems like an idea that hasn't been used much if at all before in comics. I'd just rather not see 50 different covers for each issue or incentive variants. Everyone is doing those to death nowadays.

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

Brother J wrote:The members club idea would be pretty cool, seems like an idea that hasn't been used much if at all before in comics. I'd just rather not see 50 different covers for each issue or incentive variants. Everyone is doing those to death nowadays.
If it's economically feasable, I could get onboard with something like that.

There were a variety of clubs in the 40's, some even stretching into the 50's but not like this. They were more like fan clubs that would send out a ring or a pin and a certificate.

cobra_commander
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!

Post by cobra_commander »

A picture of a dinosaur drawn by Bob Layton in every issue?

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Daniel Jackson wrote: With that said though do you think it would be cool for the new VU to have a "members club" where fans could get first dibs on items like that at a substantial discount? Personally, I think this idea would be work well because it would give the new owners a feel for how well a new book will be received.
I'd sign up.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Maybe make this a poll???

-slym

HDB
2 posts down, 2 million to go
2 posts down, 2 million to go

Post by HDB »

I would like to see, maybe 2 covers for each issue. Printed in equal quantities, much like the Red Sonja or Xena books. I like to see how different artists portray characters with their different styles. You can decide which cover you like best or grab them both.
"Relax, everything will work itself out."

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

HDB wrote:I would like to see, maybe 2 covers for each issue. Printed in equal quantities, much like the Red Sonja or Xena books. I like to see how different artists portray characters with their different styles. You can decide which cover you like best or grab them both.
That's the most sensible idea I've heard yet.

:thumb:

-slym

cobra_commander

zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz

:D

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I just see that as a ploy to get readers to buy 2 of the same issue. Make the stories good enough so that gimmicks aren't necessary and the company will last longer than hype and speculation will carry it.
ASM Crossover Home

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

400yrs wrote:I just see that as a ploy to get readers to buy 2 of the same issue. Make the stories good enough so that gimmicks aren't necessary and the company will last longer than hype and speculation will carry it.
I am thinking maybe Golds of #1's FOR FANS (not to be distributed to dealers for any reason) and maybe a few months down the line, a "red" of some sort as a dealer incentive, say... maybe when/if they have their first big crossover?

-slym

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

HDB wrote:I would like to see, maybe 2 covers for each issue. Printed in equal quantities, much like the Red Sonja or Xena books. I like to see how different artists portray characters with their different styles. You can decide which cover you like best or grab them both.
Xena didn't get out of control on that, but Red Sonja sure did. What are they up to now, issue #6 and they have 1389 different cover? :P

I'm a one issue, one cover kind of guy.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

MagnusRF wrote:
Xena didn't get out of control on that, but Red Sonja sure did. What are they up to now, issue #6 and they have 1389 different cover? :P

I'm a one issue, one cover kind of guy.
I am one of those that has no problem picking up the cover (out of two) I like best and leaving the other alone. Maybe I'm in the minority there...

:wink:

-slym

RobInOttawa
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by RobInOttawa »

None just great stories,and great art. Works for me.

David

I agree with David. If there is no quality story telling and strong continuity, then no incentive in the world would make me want to buy a weak comic book.

cobra_commander

Actually, the best idea Valiant had in the past was giving out GOLD issues for fans that promoted their product in an unusual way. Like local baseball teams with the VALIANT logo or whatever.

That instilled a bit of fun and community in VALIANT and thats what VALIANT is all about after all isn't it?

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

cobra_commander wrote:Actually, the best idea VALIANT had in the past was giving out GOLD issues for fans that promoted their product in an unusual way. Like local baseball teams with the VALIANT logo or whatever.

That instilled a bit of fun and community in VALIANT and thats what VALIANT is all about after all isn't it?

Ayup, and no one has more fun than we do at keeping Valiant alive....so bring on the free golds Dino!!!

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

If Dino makes some midget mexican variants, I might be down for that. Say like ash-can sized, with the original coloring for the title changed to white red and green or something.
ASM Crossover Home