"Byrneout's Shriner's Toy Drive"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
"Byrneout's Shriner's Toy Drive"

Post by Knightt »

OK guys, lets start on another VERY important fund raiser... and that is Ric's (Byrneout's) fund raiser for the the Shriners Burn Unit where we donate cash cash and comics. This has been done for years to a great deal of success first starting off by buying the KIDS that are in the burn unit during Christmas an Xbox 360 (and a slew of controllers/games, TV, TV cart) one year and a PS3 w/ controllers/games, TV, TV cart the next.

Well this year, we are going for a slew of PSPs for the kids along with games. You can also donate as many comics as you can. These are VERY good 'ways' to donate for giving children a break from their pain from their burns for a while as well as when they use the controllers or turn the pages of a comic book, they are doing a form of 'physical therapy' as well. So, your donations during this time of year are CRITICAL to the further restoration of a child's life or even more important SAVING a childs life. So please be as generous as you can.

Ric is a MAJOR supporter of the CF fund raiser EVERY year (more on that in a seperate post as the man deserves his own thread) and as a community, we can again get behind something that makes the world a better place... the world will be made a better place for a certain group of children who have suffered very painful and sometimes life threatening burns on Christmas of all days !!!! Some of these children (to my understanding) will be alone during this time because sometimes the world is just a bad place to live in and if we can make the holidays a bit brighter, make a few kids get lost in a video game for a while and hopefully make some forget their pain during Christmas... then by God, I am behind this 100% and nothing tears at my heart more than children in pain.

For those of you that do not know this, the same Shriners Unit treated Ric when he was a child after a horrible crime was allowed to be commited against him. You would think that after going through an ordeal such as what Ric went through, it would make him a bitter person but I have met the man and have been his Friend for many years and I do not know of a purer soul on the face of the planet.

So men, lets get behind this and donate as much as we can...

I am starting this off with $150. If you wish to donate, please send anything that you can afford to donate to me at roguesf333@cox.net, I will inform Greg (to keep the numbers above the board) of all the donation amounts (no names if requested) and then I will also pay the Paypal fees. I will end this fund raiser on 15 December, so that gives Ric a chance to make the rounds and pick up what those kids need to have a GREAT Christmas. Just like we have done for two years running. Lets do it again. Donation notifications can be done via PM, email or right here in this thread and can also be done privately if you do not want your name to be mentioned.

RIC !!! The first $150 is mine... the rest is up to the great board members of ValiantFans.com (and don't be surprised at what we finally come up with... you know how these guys are :thumb: )

So... it has begun.

Knightt $350
worldsbestcomics $150
GJB $90 (transparently of course :wink: )
anonymous board member $50

$640
Last edited by Knightt on Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:45:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

The last few times we've organized this thing, we've recognized that in some way or another we were giving something extraordinary to the children in the Burns Institute. Although I help organize the massive effort that goes into this, I can't really take any of the credit for what we do - it's the collective generosity of ALL on this board and elsewhere that makes this a success, a moment to ease the pain of those who are suffering from crippling burns during the holiday season.

Most of you know that this is a very personal storyfor me. I was admitted into the Cincinnati Shriner's Hospital after a family member had set me on fire, when I was 7 years old. This easily could have been the end of me - 30% of my body was burned to the point that even muscle and tendon were damaged, and skin was nonexistent in several areas. Instead, I came out of this through the incredibly positive and nurturing environment that these hospitals foster. My first exposure to comics (in fact, my first Magnus comic book) was here, along with how I learned to play poker (you don't KNOW serious until you're playing for Halloween candy and someone drops down a Reese's Cup - going "all in" for thousands is FAR less serious), and I learned that most of all, I was lucky to have survived, and to have a chance at a normal life - something that most of the people who entered that hospital during my stay will never have.

That said, I think it's time to re-christen what many call "Byrneout's Shriner's Toy Drive" to a name more reflective of what it really is - our chance to give a "Special Gift" to those who are in the hospital during this time of year. Already, several of you have begun supporting the "Special Gift Comic & Toy Drive", and I can't tell you how much this means to those who are in the hospital during the holidays. I'll take one last moment just to remind you of our past success in pictures by going HERE and HERE.

Again, this is something that happens on a much smaller scale without you guys. With all of you, this becomes the chance to have one of the biggest positive influences of someone else's life I have ever known.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

BOO YAA to that...

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by GJB »

I'm with you guys. I'll donate some cash and comics for auctions after I get organized here.

You guys are awesome for the work you do to make this a better world. Cheers!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

GJB wrote:I'm with you guys. I'll donate some cash and comics for auctions after I get organized here.

You guys are awesome for the work you do to make this a better world. Cheers!
THANKS G !!! I'll hold ya to that ! :thumb:

As always, you come through when needed GJB and believe me, I have not forgotten 'The Olive Garden'. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

stone384
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by stone384 »

Who do I send comic to? Knight or byrne?

m

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

stone384 wrote:Who do I send comic to? Knight or byrne?

m
Please send those directly to Ric... PM for the address in which he likes to use.

THANKS for the donation. :thumb:

stone384

Post by stone384 »

pm sent....
m

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

I think I'll put together another box of books for ya, Ric...and I'll leave the Ash comics out this time. :oops:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Brother J wrote:I think I'll put together another box of books for ya, Ric...and I'll leave the Ash comics out this time. :oops:
Boo yaa !!! THANKS Brother J !!!!! You rock !!!

We also need a few cash donations folks !!! A slew of PSPs are going out to the kids this year, lets try and purchase ALL of them for the kids.

worldsbestcomics
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set? Done.
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set?  Done.

Post by worldsbestcomics »

All right Ric and Knightt. I'll match the $150 and kick in a box of Valiants.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

worldsbestcomics wrote:All right Ric and Knightt. I'll match the $150 and kick in a box of Valiants.
BLIZZAM !!! Now THATS what I am talking about... see right there, we have $300 and even more comics !!! But not just any comics, VALIANT comics. Even better.

THANKS WBC !!!! MAN, I love this message board.

:thumb:

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by GJB »

The OG was my pleasure Knightt. You and your wife deserve it.

OK, I normally like to be covert about what I do, but for the sake of driving this fundraiser, I'll be transparent. I'll donate an additional $90.00 with the $60 I bid on ZWH's auction. That's another $150 for the kids.

We've got some folks donating cash and comics for this cause, it's cool to see people give. :thumb: :thumb:

Being that I'm pretty direct, who's next?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

GJB wrote:The OG was my pleasure Knightt. You and your wife deserve it.

OK, I normally like to be covert about what I do, but for the sake of driving this fundraiser, I'll be transparent. I'll donate an additional $90.00 with the $60 I bid on ZWH's auction. That's another $150 for the kids.

We've got some folks donating cash and comics for this cause, it's cool to see people give. :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah, go bid on some Voyeurs. :)

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by GJB »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:

Yeah, go bid on some Voyeurs. :)
Isn't it amazing the variety of stuff Valiant put out in the day? I mean Valiant Voyeurs? Beer? Postcards? Amazing. And what the heck, I will bid on a few. :thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Cool, I'll still count ya as $90 over here, bringing us so far to $390 !!!!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Bump... doing good so far. Please donate what you can. I will take care of the Paypal fees.

I know it is a hard time of year to donate even MORE cash but it is going towards an incredibly worthy cause.

Hell, I blow $40 on fast food and strippers... so anything you can afford right now, please donate. We need cash to pick up those small yet very important items for those kids. Two years ago, I ran a similiar auction and we went well over $1,000 bucks which totally squared those wide eyed and happy kids on Christmas morning. What I woudnt do to be able to be there when Ric rolls in all those goodies... a course, I might cry while doing it but I would be willing to let that be seen just to bring some joy to kids who are in pain and alone on Christmas.

k_c_collectibles
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!

Post by k_c_collectibles »

Unfortunately funds are a bit tight right now with the trip to NY so I will be unable to donate any funds. However, I just sent Ric over 1,000 comics to give to the kids. The VAST majority of them are Valiant so hopefully there will be a few new readers once VEI starts putting out monthly titles. :hope:

Chris

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

boo yaa... just got in $150 from worldsbestcomics (whom I will be meeting up with and going LCSing this coming Saturday !!!)

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

viewtopic.php?t=18266

Just wanted to take a second and recognize what Stu and Chris did over here!

Oh, and I just received books from several members (quality stuff, too) - and THE FIRST PSP FOR SHRINER'S!

We are on a roll! Now, more than ever, I believe that we will accomplish this!

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

Sent what I could. I will send more in a couple weeks along with some comics.

Thanks for the bump on this one, I was out of town whenever this thread began and completely missed it on my return.

I am happy to see people helping out on this one. :thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Byrneout wrote:viewtopic.php?t=18266

Just wanted to take a second and recognize what Stu and Chris did over here!

Oh, and I just received books from several members (quality stuff, too) - and THE FIRST PSP FOR SHRINER'S!

We are on a roll! Now, more than ever, I believe that we will accomplish this!
I've got cash to be coming yer way, probably worth two PSPs at least.

Please PM me your Paypal addy.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...

Post by Byrneout »

Oh, and as a note - for those who want to purchase a PSP and send it along, the best deal I've found is at Wal-Mart (*sigh* I know, I know) - but the deal is for the PSP, a movie, and a game, for less than the price of a PSP and a game. Details are:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5733771

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I think that I have a couple of of donations to add but seeing as there has not been any update lately.... I am upping my donation to $350 !!!

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...

Post by Byrneout »

Just FYI...

Our current PSP count:

These were both donations by members of the board, and will bring us *that* much closer to pulling this one off!