Only The Valiant Podcast

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2
Re: Only The Valiant Podcast

Post by Dr. Solar »

Chiclo wrote:After a certain point, you just get used to famous people having a different political orientation. It is almost surprising when someone famous turns out to be right-wing.
Like when we found out Quantum is a Republican.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

The lantern-eyed monk that doesn't stop bleeding.

Yeah, what's his deal?

We try to figure it out as we discuss Bleeding Monk #0.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Dr. Solar wrote:The lantern-eyed monk that doesn't stop bleeding.

Yeah, what's his deal?

We try to figure it out as we discuss Bleeding Monk #0.

Nice one guys :thumb:

I gotta re-read Bleeding Monk zero again to fully absorb it too - but I can relate to the cool idea that once he was inpaled, he transcended what he was and instead of just seeing visions he permanently existed in all points of time, no longer linearly attached to the passage of it. Like an Omega level psiot power was triggered by the trauma of what should have been his death.

Are any of you guys fans of classic Doctor Who? There was a great story from the late seventies called City Of Death (co-written by Douglas Adams, author of Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy), about an alien who simultaneously existed as fragments of himself in all points of time.

Kudos to Elveen for the sing-song commentary :lol:

Chiclo, you mentioned William Jennings Bryant & the infamous Scopes Monkey Trial. Have any of you ever seen the new show Drunk History? It's awesome & hilarious - people get hammered & talk about famous people/events in American history. The best part is they get famous actors to act out what the drunk person is saying, using the original soundtrack of the drunk person.

In any case, they actually had a guy on who talked about the Scopes Monkey Trial. Seriously, check out this clip of it here (it's not the whole thing, unfortunately, but it is hilarious);

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SlbNlvAKDW8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And for Jonsey, good job hosting, sir! A short answer to your question - I stack my comic boxes three high! They are mostly quite sturdy & I don't have a serious issue with bending books. There are a few older, flimsier boxes that I really should replace though.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Jonsey- Basket weave for increased stability, first layer vertical next layer horizontal etc. :thumb:

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Jonesy great job in the hotseat bro :clap:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

Awww, thanks guys for the support! We're changin' it up on OTV and I'm excited for you guys to hear more!!!!
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

This is cool...I should listen more. I did listen to one of your comic con interviews with Jim Shooter, JayJay Jackson, and Bernard Chang, and I enjoyed hearing you guys. I thought it was very entertaining. :thumb:
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Bamaphilosopher,

Definitely check out episode 100 and some of our most recent ones. While Sean and Chiclo were still hosting back in the day during those interviews, myself and Elveen joined as co-hosts about two and a half years ago at this point. Check us out and let us know what you think after listening to some more :)

http://www.onlythevaliant.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

bamaphilosopher wrote:This is cool...I should listen more. I did listen to one of your comic con interviews with Jim Shooter, JayJay Jackson, and Bernard Chang, and I enjoyed hearing you guys. I thought it was very entertaining. :thumb:
:o
Great stuff in these podcasts, Bruce. Seriously, these guys rock and I 'm not saying it because they're lurking around :P.
100 was my favourite ep. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

grendeljd wrote:Chiclo, you mentioned William Jennings Bryant & the infamous Scopes Monkey Trial. Have any of you ever seen the new show Drunk History? It's awesome & hilarious - people get hammered & talk about famous people/events in American history. The best part is they get famous actors to act out what the drunk person is saying, using the original soundtrack of the drunk person.

In any case, they actually had a guy on who talked about the Scopes Monkey Trial. Seriously, check out this clip of it here (it's not the whole thing, unfortunately, but it is hilarious);

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SlbNlvAKDW8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't get Comedy Central anymore. Viacom tried to bully my cable provider so they pulled all the crappy Viacom channels and replaced them with more interesting alternatives. The former Comedy Central has been replaced by a sports channel from the Fox stable that shows a lot of soccer. It is an alternative I gladly take!

Nonetheless, it was Elveen that dragged the early 20th century's great perennial American loser into the podcast. I was initially flabbergasted to be compared to the great dud that was William Jennings Bryant and that is why my initial reaction was a denial! Bimetallism may be the only thing we share in common.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

I tell you...the supreme minds that are Chiclo and Elveen make podcasting on OTV freaking awesome!!! Might I also add that I do not hold a candle to either of your intellects gentlemen...lol. But that's okay. I can shred a mean guitar lick and unearth crazy voices to add flavor to the experience. Why do I feel like I'm the Joker to y'all's Batman and Robin? What would that make Sean?

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

JonesyAZ wrote:What would that make Sean?
Overworked and stressed out :P

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

JonesyAZ wrote:I tell you...the supreme minds that are Chiclo and Elveen make podcasting on OTV freaking awesome!!! Might I also add that I do not hold a candle to either of your intellects gentlemen...lol. But that's okay. I can shred a mean guitar lick and unearth crazy voices to add flavor to the experience. Why do I feel like I'm the Joker to y'all's Batman and Robin? What would that make Sean?

I'd say Doc is Barbara Gordon? :? and I'm probably like...... Mister Mxyzptlk

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Elveen wrote:
JonesyAZ wrote:I tell you...the supreme minds that are Chiclo and Elveen make podcasting on OTV freaking awesome!!! Might I also add that I do not hold a candle to either of your intellects gentlemen...lol. But that's okay. I can shred a mean guitar lick and unearth crazy voices to add flavor to the experience. Why do I feel like I'm the Joker to y'all's Batman and Robin? What would that make Sean?

Hahahahaha, nice!

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Elveen wrote:

I'd say to me you are more like Kilowog, Elveen. You do not suffer poozer's lightly! (plus you are a big dude)

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Jace wrote:
Elveen wrote:

I'd say to me you are more like Kilowog, Elveen. You do not suffer poozer's lightly! (plus you are a big dude)

The OTV dudes might be thinking I'm like Bat-Mite.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Elveen wrote:
Jace wrote:
Elveen wrote:

The OTV dudes might be thinking I'm like Bat-Mite.
LOL...no way! Bat-Mite is crazy, and I don't think you're crazy in the slightest. Unless we're talkin' comics, of course :)

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I don't know if it says anything about you, Jonesy, but I got behind on my listening right around the time you took your hiatus, and I just recently started listening again. I actually have skipped most of the ones you weren't involved with.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:

I don't know if it says anything about you, Jonesy, but I got behind on my listening right around the time you took your hiatus, and I just recently started listening again. I actually have skipped most of the ones you weren't involved with.

J is like your Tapatillo...... everything is just a little better with him.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
JonesyAZ wrote:Rage should be an opener to one of our episodes. Know Your Enemy is a personal fave of mine. What a riff!
Do I want to have a godforsaken Communist open for my podcast?

:hm:

No.
Paul Ryan is a big fan even though the feeling isn't mutual.
Of Zach de la Rocha?

Paul Ryan has always shown bad taste in the past. This continues the trend.
Yeah I remember seeing a thing where Paul Ryan was saying he loved RATM and worked out to it all the time, then they talked to Tom Morello and he was a little mortified. He said their music was completely against everything Paul Ryan stands for.

This happens to Republicans a lot, artists often say don't associate yourself with our music.

I guess they're stuck with Ted Nugent and Toby Kieth :lol:
They will always have the Mister T. Experience.

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:

you skipped OTV episodes?

blasphemy :kidaround:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Chiclo wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Chiclo, you mentioned William Jennings Bryant & the infamous Scopes Monkey Trial. Have any of you ever seen the new show Drunk History? It's awesome & hilarious - people get hammered & talk about famous people/events in American history. The best part is they get famous actors to act out what the drunk person is saying, using the original soundtrack of the drunk person.

I don't get Comedy Central anymore. Viacom tried to bully my cable provider so they pulled all the crappy Viacom channels and replaced them with more interesting alternatives. The former Comedy Central has been replaced by a sports channel from the Fox stable that shows a lot of soccer. It is an alternative I gladly take!

Nonetheless, it was Elveen that dragged the early 20th century's great perennial American loser into the podcast. I was initially flabbergasted to be compared to the great dud that was William Jennings Bryant and that is why my initial reaction was a denial! Bimetallism may be the only thing we share in common.
Right, Elveen started it! My bad - I wouldn't want to be compared to him either.

I don't get Comedy Central either, but the show Drunk History is available up here in LoS Chiclos Del Norte territory. I think that you would be a fan of it, Chiclo (and anyone else interested in the idea of seeing history portrayed by famous people to varying degrees of inaccuracy based on consumption level of alchohol by the random average people who narrate).

Did you watch the YouTube clip?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Hey grendeljd and hawkeyeps...thank you for the advice about collecting!!! I want to add you guys to the contest, so could you send me an email at onlythevaliant@gmail.com with your suggestions? That way, i'll remember that you gave this advice when I'm tallying up the entries.

Thanks guys!!!

- Jonesy

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

JonesyAZ wrote:Hey grendeljd and hawkeyeps...thank you for the advice about collecting!!! I want to add you guys to the contest, so could you send me an email at onlythevaliant@gmail.com with your suggestions? That way, i'll remember that you gave this advice when I'm tallying up the entries.

Thanks guys!!!

- Jonesy
Done! :thumb:

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Hey all,

My bros. have released a new episode, WonderCon-style :) Check it out here!:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/onlytheva ... ode142.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;