Only The Valiant Podcast

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Re: Only The Valiant Podcast

Post by hawkeyeps »

Just listned to the new podcast, glad to see the return to the old form. The last episode was a bit of a clinker.

A couple of my thoughts and comments on the podcast-

Lee Garbett did the art on Harbinger #8 and I also thought it was very good.

With regards to Torque- I don't think he "hulked out" I think the Torque body he inhabits is a psychic (psiot) structure made from his mind, one tip off is the clothes change. Little John is wearing shorts and a black shirt. When big Torque blows out of the building he is wearing his full Torquehalla outfit. If little John "hulked out" his little shorts and shirt would be ripped up at best and it's unlikely he just had a Totque sized outfit ready to go in his room.

Shadowman's mask- I think it is capable of showing emotion as it is a manifestation of the Loa, you see his outfit kind of shimmer away when turns back to Jack. It's definetly not an ordinary mask and costume.

Darque- I think Darque was not in the Deadside but rather Lyceum, he made it back to Deadside in issue #4 and Deadside is the gate way back to our dimension (earth). Josiah might have driven him to Lyceum for the safety of seperation to earth now Darque has managed to get back to the Deadside so now his threat is more immenent as he just on the other side of the door instead of two rooms away. I think the introduction of the Bretheren will set up more New Orleans based adventures revolving around their efforts on earth to return Darque and Jack combatting this and learning more of the history and legacy of Shadowman. Like Sean I am really loving this book and think a lot is set up for great future issues.

One minor complaint (and not to be "that guy") but I really didn't care for Elveen referring to Dox as "the Midget", it's some what de-humanizing. If you need to refer to the character call him Dox not "the Midget". It's ok to draw attention to the fact that he is a little person when reviewing the story but after that use his name. Nobody would call Alyssa "the black chick".

Again minor complaint and please don't take offence, a very good life long friend of mine has this condition so maybe I am little sensitive.

Thanks again for the podcast, looking forward to the future episodes you guys have a lot of ground to cover :thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

hawkeyeps wrote:J

One minor complaint (and not to be "that guy") but I really didn't care for Elveen referring to Dox as "the Midget", it's some what de-humanizing. If you need to refer to the character call him Dox not "the Midget". It's ok to draw attention to the fact that he is a little person when reviewing the story but after that use his name. Nobody would call Alyssa "the black chick".

Again minor complaint and please don't take offence, a very good life long friend of mine has this condition so maybe I am little sensitive.
I do appreciate the comments.
I can tell you that when I said that (which I did not remember until you mentioned it), the reason is most likely due to the fact I did not remember his name. The same reason I called Alysaa "Nettie".

My strategy is to not be totally "planned" with what I say, as off the cuff as possible (I have thoughts and points, but I leave the details to the moment). that can lead me to sometimes forgetting the small details. I did not mean to offend, but it will probably not be the last time I misspeak.

I am a tall man, and meant no offense to those vertically challenged.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Elveen wrote:

I can tell you that when I said that (which I did not remember until you mentioned it), the reason is most likely due to the fact I did not remember his name. The same reason I called Alysaa "Nettie".

My strategy is to not be totally "planned" with what I say, as off the cuff as possible (I have thoughts and points, but I leave the details to the moment). that can lead me to sometimes forgetting the small details. I did not mean to offend, but it will probably not be the last time I misspeak.

I appreciate that Elveen and don't think it was in any way malicious on your part, everybody is probably a "midget" (don't like the word) to you. I hear you are 15 feet tall and and have a blue bull for a pet :kidaround:

You only did it twice but it burned my ears when you did it, the character's name was Dox and you mentioned it several times in the podcast. It's ok to call Jaunty "the Monkey" but it's not ok (IMO) to call Dox "the Midget". I hope you see where I'm coming from and don't mean to be d!ck about it but it just brings back bad memories of Randy Newman from the 70's (if you get that reference you're as old as me).

As I say I don't think you are a bad guy at all, I'm a big fan (well 5'10" anyway) :wink:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Elveen wrote:

I appreciate that Elveen and don't think it was in any way malicious on your part, everybody is probably a "midget" (don't like the word) to you. I hear you are 15 feet tall and and have a blue bull for a pet :kidaround:

You only did it twice but it burned my ears when you did it, the character's name was Dox and you mentioned it several times in the podcast. It's ok to call Jaunty "the Monkey" but it's not ok (IMO) to call Dox "the Midget". I hope you see where I'm coming from and don't mean to be d!ck about it but it just brings back bad memories of Randy Newman from the 70's (if you get that reference you're as old as me).

As I say I don't think you are a bad guy at all, I'm a big fan (well 5'10" anyway) :wink:
All good :high-five:

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Elveen re: the Dox thing. Permit me to make a suggestion to overcome the issue of forgetting the names of characters during the lively OTV discussions? Why not use 'prompt cards' ie 1 x card for each title containing the name of the writer, artist and main characters at hand at all times. Just an idea. :?

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

One thing I realized while editing the recent episode is that we are really bad with the names, especially with creator names, and remembering who worked on which book.

It's something I plan on doing better in the future.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Dr. Solar wrote:One thing I realized while editing the recent episode is that we are really bad with the names, especially with creator names, and remembering who worked on which book.

Yeah, you guys suck! :kidaround:

Seriously, though I love listening to the podcasts, especially the old ones since they have a wider range of topics since the books weren't new.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Dr. Solar wrote:One thing I realized while editing the recent episode is that we are really bad with the names, especially with creator names, and remembering who worked on which book.

My memory is horrendous so I use all kinds of stuff to keep me on track! If I was doing what you guys do I'd have the walls plastered with 'reminders' including my name! :P

Anyway, thanks for another enjoyable podcast. I agree with MarkFX's comment on twitter that the 'whhassuuuuuurpp' piece was very funny..nearly up there with the Shadowman rap! :lol:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Elveen re: the Dox thing. Permit me to make a suggestion to overcome the issue of forgetting the names of characters during the lively OTV discussions? Why not use 'prompt cards' ie 1 x card for each title containing the name of the writer, artist and main characters at hand at all times. Just an idea. :?

Good idea.
I want to maintain the balance between planned and ..... well, me. But I could for sure have a card with the names.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

I'm listening to the Covers episode. Some random thoughts as I listen to the first half:

- You guys are some arguing / tangent going fools.

- IMO, Rai #0 and Solar #10 are probably the only "iconic" covers from VH1.

- X-O #1 QR could be VEI's EXCEPT, there aren't enough of them out there for people to realize it. Maybe, maybe that Bloodshot cover with the Harby symbol on the front.

- I agree with Sean about Shadowman #1 (VH1) being a terrific cover. It's probably one of my favorites, if not my favorite, from VH1. It's very much underrated.

- Yes, James Jean does the Fables covers. I've always thought it was "James John".

- Yanick Paquette on a X-O cover with the Vine on it would be great.
- Cliff Chiang on an X-O cover would rule your face.
- Why not Rob Liefeld on Bloodshot? They already have a crappy 90s villain in Chainsaw.

- Ummmm. Elveen, Greg Land. No. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

- David Mack is a good choice. He would probably be good for any title.

You guys should do a variant episode. Sounds like you guys still have alot to say about them. Maybe have people leave VMs with their opinions and play them and discuss or something.
ASM Crossover Home

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

400yrs wrote:- Cliff Chiang on an X-O cover would rule your face.
That would rule everyone's face. All at the same time.
You guys should do a variant episode. Sounds like you guys still have alot to say about them. Maybe have people leave VMs with their opinions and play them and discuss or something.
I was hoping this would cover it and we could move on. I'm pretty tired of the discussion about variants. I think it's a pretty small minority of folks that care about variant madness.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Who ever was the artist for Sojourn was great on sojourn

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Dr. Solar wrote:
I was hoping this would cover it and we could move on. I'm pretty tired of the discussion about variants. I think it's a pretty small minority of folks that care about variant madness.
"Rule your face"!? Never heard that expression before but it's quite amusing! :lol:

I agree with Sean on the variant thing, let's give it a swerve for a bit, it's been pretty full on since the launch.

I enjoy the random discussion topics from time to time though, for example when you guys discussed DC's New 52. Even though I don't read DC/Marvel I still follow what goofy marketing ploys they're up to ('WTF' from DC?), so I'd like to get a view from the OTV crew occasionally.

I'd also like to see more podcast crossovers. In all seriousness there's one called 'Comic Book Queers' and those guys are funny (and know their stuff)! They even like some Valiant!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Dr. Solar wrote:
What's a variant?

:twisted:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Dr. Solar wrote:
I can tell you are sick of it. :lol:
ASM Crossover Home

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

400yrs wrote: - Cliff Chiang on an X-O cover would rule your face.
best comment ever. :thumb:

and yes it would definitely rule all of our faces
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Was so totally pumped to hear you talk about my personal Best of 2012 list on the podcast! For some reason it was such an incredibly gratifying experience, like I got a gold star in grade school or something. Very cool to hear my name on a podcast I listen to religiously.
Keep up the discussions on the comics as they come out. It's great hearing other people's opinions.
My only question is, why graze over Harby 8, and then spend so much time on Shadowman 4? I thought there was much more to discuss in Harbinger,but you guys said you wanted to discuss the arc, not the current issue.... hmmmm?
Love the podcast, I go into withdrawal the minute I finish one, and there's not another one to listen to.

And I may be in the minority, but I do like hearing about other comics as well. It's a great way for someone like me to learn about other books out there. Although, I generally don't care about a single thing DC does. But that's just me.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I do also enjoy the recent reads. I would like to find more time
To do them.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I feel ashamed - I'm getting really behind on tuning in here... The last one I got to listen to was #90!!

Gotta catch up when I'm off for a day or two & doing some freelance work at home. You guys are a blast to listen to :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Alright homebizzies and homebizzettes!

It's time for another Only The Valiant!

This time, we talk about Bloodshot, in all its awesome gruesomeness.

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/95/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Nice turn around time Doc. :clap:

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Thanks again for another episode guys :)

Here is something I was thinking while listening to the podcast-

The Psiot kids from Bloodshot 7&8 are obviously activated and it has been stated that only Pete, Darpan and Harada (sort of) were the only ones born activated.

If this is the case the Generation 0 kids would have had to been activated some how and as of now we only know of 2 methods of doing this- Harada's machine and Pete's ability to pop latents.

It could be that the Harbinger activation machine was developed by PRS and later appropriated by Harada. Either that or Harada is the only one with the machine and the only way PRS could aquire Psiots would be to take them from Harada.

I think who controls the ability to activate latents and how will be a central theme in the story, up till now all the new psiots have been activated by Harada or PRS in a very controlled way. Now Pete is out there rogue with the ability to activate Psiots as he sees fit.

An interesting future story might be Pete acitvates a Psiot and they turn out to be major villian :hm:
Last edited by hawkeyeps on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:01:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

hawkeyeps wrote:The Psiot kids from Bloodshot 7&8 are obviously activated and it has been stated that only Pete, Darpan and Harada (sort of) were the only ones born activated.

If this is the case the Generation 0 kids would have had to been activated some how and as of now we only know of 2 methods of doing this- Harada's machine and Pete's ability to pop latents.
Yeah, wow, that's a very interesting point. What's the deal here?

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

I've been wondering about those kids, too. I suppose some of them could have been accidentally activated by trauma - look at Faith. I don't have the issue in front of me, but isn't it likely she survived the crash due to her own abilities kicking in like a reflex? Of course, she didn't seem to keep them until Pete popped her. :hm:
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Great point about the "popping". Not sure why I did not think about that.

The other possibility is........

This new generation of psiots are born activiated like Darpan and Pete? I'm thinking this is not it, but could be.

The power to "pop" is the single reason that Toyo did not kill Pete right away.