David Lapham Fans NEED to read this!!!!!!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Welcome David!! Outstanding offer! I will definitely let my LCS know to get me on board with Young Liars and looking forward to it. As a 35 year old comic geek, Harbinger came along at the right time to remind me that there were still comics with quality stories. Thanks for your part in making Valiant what it was which helped ultimately create this community of great people. :thumb:

DL
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DL »

Thanks again for all the responses.

A quick note. FYI Some of you know I periodically list original art on Ebay. Tonight I'm going to put up a bunch of pages. Unfortunately I've gone through all my Valiant stuff the last three years and am now left with only my first ever cover (Rai Flip #1) which I'm not selling unless I get cancer, and the complete Harbinger #1 interiors, which I hope to sell as one unit to some rich and lucky fan.

But there'll be plenty of other stuff Warriors of Plasm, Daredevil vs. Punisher, American Splendor, Silverfish, and maybe a Stray Bullets sticker piece.

A couple of comments on posts I saw:

There is no fourth Stray Bullets Hardcover. You can stop looking. Hopefully someday soon. I know it was once solicited but it's an expensive book to produce. Honestly, it does make $, but initially you have to lay out a huge sum then make your dollars as the months roll on. You hope the initial orders cover most of your costs. At the time it was a little to steep. Sorry.

I really liked Plasm, too. Fun to draw. It was always a Dr. Seuss world to me. The problem there was the market was peaking when we were developing Defiant and collapsing as we started to release. Combined with the #0 issue card project (which would have been cool if the greedy card *BLEEEEEP* didn't try and rake the fans over the coals) engendering a lot of bad will....Well, the company folded. We were scrambling so much, too, I never felt we 100% pulled the concept together. If it would have lasted though it would have gotten better and better.

I have the art to the last issue I drew which was never published. Maybe if I start a blog I'll post it.

I think that's it.

Let's hear it for the Dad Squad :D !

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

DL wrote:I bring my love of music, violence, female protagonists, effed up male protagonists, frustrated love, violence, midgets, drugs, freaks, violence again and finally castration...all in one book! Now doesn't that sound like fun? Believe you me, if you were me that would be fun.
"One of us! One of us!"

Especially the midgets. :thumb:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:
DL wrote:I bring my love of music, violence, female protagonists, effed up male protagonists, frustrated love, violence, midgets, drugs, freaks, violence again and finally castration...all in one book! Now doesn't that sound like fun? Believe you me, if you were me that would be fun.
"One of us! One of us!"

Especially the midgets. :thumb:
....dino...you paying attention here??? MIDGETS!

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

great to have you here dood!

i also really dug warriors of plasm, along obviously with the valiant work you did.

gotta be honest, SB wasn't really my thing but i can certainly appreciate wonderful art when i see it.

i'm always a big fan of great people, especially folks with the same interests as me (and seeing as how you were involved in the creation of some of the things i dig i'll assume we share those interests...lol) so a hearty "how do ya do sir!" is most assuredly in order.

also, your willingness to share a little of your talent with us personally is top notch.

as for the complete harbinger #1 interiors you have i'll be amazed if you haven't received a PM from a well-known member named "dino" yet...lol

i hope your time here is enjoyable and that YL is the success everyone seems to think it'll be.

i also feel comfortable enough with my standing here to say the following...if anyone gives you any crap just know that we as a community are very thankful of the interactions we have with the creators that are here...and we don't put up with any shenanigans towards them.

you're willingness to come here and hang out with us is much appreciated and you will be treated with respect here...this is absolutely not an ordinary internet message board.

greg and all the mods do a fantastic job making this a wonderful place to hang out...so if you have any problems then let them know.

as a wise man named officer john maclane once said..."welcome to the party pal!"
WWSLJD, MF?

VHMMV
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by VHMMV »

DL wrote:I really liked Plasm, too. Fun to draw. It was always a Dr. Seuss world to me. The problem there was the market was peaking when we were developing Defiant and collapsing as we started to release. Combined with the #0 issue card project (which would have been cool if the greedy card *BLEEEEEP* didn't try and rake the fans over the coals) engendering a lot of bad will....Well, the company folded. We were scrambling so much, too, I never felt we 100% pulled the concept together. If it would have lasted though it would have gotten better and better.

I have the art to the last issue I drew which was never published. Maybe if I start a blog I'll post it.
Or if that fails, you could always post it here.

I'm sure no one would mind. :D

UnknownTales
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 2005
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Smith

Post by UnknownTales »

I'm a big Defiant fan. Would love to see the unpublished art...

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Ditto.

Chuck
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!

Post by Chuck »

DL wrote:Yes it is a Vertigo book, and I'm trying my G#$damn hardest to make sure it's not cancelled. I'm putting my heart and soul into this thing and I'm trying to spread the word.

Thus here I am. Being a novice at posting I hope I'm in the right spot. (Who knew there were so many Valiant fans gathered in one spot? I guess you all did, but ask the checkout lady at Vons. I bet she didn't....) But I just wanted to thank anyone spreading the word about Young Liars and everyone who will give it a try. It would mean everything to me to make this book a success. Not only because it's my living and my passion but also because it would allow me the freedom to get back to Stray Bullet, if even only on a limited basis.

Any advice from anyone about how I can get the word out within this forum and elsewhere, please let me have it.

I don't know if this sounds like a swell idea to anyone, but let me throw out this offer:

Anyone who tries out Young Liars and sends it to me with a SASE will have the comic returned signed (personalized or not) along with a headshot sketch of any character you choose. Could be a Young Liars character, Stray Bullets character, Your favorite Valiant character, etc.

If anyone's willing to risk sending me a Valiant comic I can sign those, too, but other than promising not to rip, fold, or crumple your comic personally and packing it back in your mailer, I can't take any other responsibility for what the good folks at the PO might do to it. So be careful.

Spread the word on this. I'll do this for anyone who tries out YL.

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

Much thanks to eternalwarrior for his wise advice and for getting this post going.

I'll check back here if anyone has any questions about the book. And I apologize in advance if this is not the best or proper place for a post like this.
HOLY CHRIST :o

err I mean DAVID LAPHAM :clap:

Man your P.O. is gonna get flooded.

If your gonna take up David's offer, I would like to remind YOU (my fellow VALIANT FANS) that David is being super generous, so we should make sure our SASE has the proper postage amount :thumb:

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

DL wrote:Yes it is a Vertigo book, and I'm trying my G#$damn hardest to make sure it's not cancelled. I'm putting my heart and soul into this thing and I'm trying to spread the word.

Thus here I am. Being a novice at posting I hope I'm in the right spot. (Who knew there were so many Valiant fans gathered in one spot? I guess you all did, but ask the checkout lady at Vons. I bet she didn't....) But I just wanted to thank anyone spreading the word about Young Liars and everyone who will give it a try. It would mean everything to me to make this book a success. Not only because it's my living and my passion but also because it would allow me the freedom to get back to Stray Bullet, if even only on a limited basis.

Any advice from anyone about how I can get the word out within this forum and elsewhere, please let me have it.

I don't know if this sounds like a swell idea to anyone, but let me throw out this offer:

Anyone who tries out Young Liars and sends it to me with a SASE will have the comic returned signed (personalized or not) along with a headshot sketch of any character you choose. Could be a Young Liars character, Stray Bullets character, Your favorite Valiant character, etc.

If anyone's willing to risk sending me a Valiant comic I can sign those, too, but other than promising not to rip, fold, or crumple your comic personally and packing it back in your mailer, I can't take any other responsibility for what the good folks at the PO might do to it. So be careful.

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

Much thanks to eternalwarrior for his wise advice and for getting this post going.

I'll check back here if anyone has any questions about the book. And I apologize in advance if this is not the best or proper place for a post like this.
David,

Thank you for the generous offer and would you be okay if I post it in other forums to try and get the word out for Young Liars?

I have really enjoyed your Spiderman: With Great Power, though as much as I have enjoyed Tony Harris's pencils, I still wonder how your rendition of Spiderman would work with the story.

Thanks Again

-Neil Cameron

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

DL wrote:
There is no fourth Stray Bullets Hardcover. You can stop looking. Hopefully someday soon.
:lol: :lol:

Thank god . . I was going crazy trying to find it . . . :)

If it ever comes to pass I am here ready and waiting . . . :thumb:

Oh and please post a link to your auctions . . . or maybe one of us can do it for you . . 8-)

Thanks again,

Mike

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

JustCallMeAric
...remember that they are just paper.

Post by JustCallMeAric »

Really glad to hear you're hanging on to the Rai cover, its awesome. I know it was up for auction a while ago.

Squirrel
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by Squirrel »

Chuck wrote:

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

HOLY CHRIST :o

err I mean DAVID LAPHAM :clap:

Man your P.O. is gonna get flooded.

If your gonna take up David's offer, I would like to remind YOU (my fellow VALIANT FANS) that David is being super generous, so we should make sure our SASE has the proper postage amount :thumb:
Nah, I think I wanna see what he'd do to my books if i short him :?

I kid, I'm gonna be sending some stuff off with a 'little extra' to make sure I dont get a 'Smurf' or something 'cuz i shorted him in postage and made him mad!

Greeting sir, and I too am one of your fans and have most of the Stray Bullets run. I do have a question. Would it be best to just send you the amount to cover postage and bit more for postal supplies with what we send in what form? paypal? Check? Money order? Hiden cash? Food stamps? Savings Bonds? :?

Cheers! :thumb:

JustCallMeAric

Post by JustCallMeAric »

Yeah I am wondering about return shipping too. Can someone explain to me how to do a SASE for comics? (I know its a retarded question but it is me) :!:

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

Squirrel wrote:
Greeting sir, and I too am one of your fans and have most of the Stray Bullets run. I do have a question. Would it be best to just send you the amount to cover postage and bit more for postal supplies with what we send in what form? paypal? Check? Money order? Hiden cash? Food stamps? Savings Bonds? :?

Hey squirrel,

I think he is saying that the SASE saves him the time of packing, labeling and getting postage. That way all he has to do is sign the book, slip it in the SASE and let the PO pick it up. Less work for him for doing something really cool . . .

:thumb:

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

siren3-4 wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

Hey squirrel,

I think he is saying that the SASE saves him the time of packing, labeling and getting postage. That way all he has to do is sign the book, slip it in the SASE and let the PO pick it up. Less work for him for doing something really cool . . .

its 1 am...on a Saturday..I'm 'tarded...sorry :lol:

thats what i was thinking, but I seem to always second guess myself, thanks for being my wing man :thumb:

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

JustCallMeAric wrote:Yeah I am wondering about return shipping too. Can someone explain to me how to do a SASE for comics? (I know its a retarded question but it is me) :!:
Your best bet is using prioity mail flat rate envelopes so there is no postage questions and it should arrive in good shape. Just put the books betwen cardboard and write Do Not Bend on the packages.

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

siren3-4 wrote:
JustCallMeAric wrote:Yeah I am wondering about return shipping too. Can someone explain to me how to do a SASE for comics? (I know its a retarded question but it is me) :!:
Your best bet is using prioity mail flat rate envelopes so there is no postage questions and it should arrive in good shape. Just put the books betwen cardboard and write Do Not Bend on the packages.

GET OUTTA MY HEAD!!!!! Thats what i was just thinking to do :P

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

DL wrote:Not only because it's my living and my passion but also because it would allow me the freedom to get back to Stray Bullet, if even only on a limited basis.
I think I like that even more than a free sketch. I miss Stray Bullets.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

DL wrote:Thanks again for all the responses.

A quick note. FYI Some of you know I periodically list original art on Ebay. Tonight I'm going to put up a bunch of pages. Unfortunately I've gone through all my Valiant stuff the last three years and am now left with only my first ever cover (Rai Flip #1) which I'm not selling unless I get cancer, and the complete Harbinger #1 interiors, which I hope to sell as one unit to some rich and lucky fan.

But there'll be plenty of other stuff Warriors of Plasm, Daredevil vs. Punisher, American Splendor, Silverfish, and maybe a Stray Bullets sticker piece.

A couple of comments on posts I saw:

There is no fourth Stray Bullets Hardcover. You can stop looking. Hopefully someday soon. I know it was once solicited but it's an expensive book to produce. Honestly, it does make $, but initially you have to lay out a huge sum then make your dollars as the months roll on. You hope the initial orders cover most of your costs. At the time it was a little to steep. Sorry.

I really liked Plasm, too. Fun to draw. It was always a Dr. Seuss world to me. The problem there was the market was peaking when we were developing Defiant and collapsing as we started to release. Combined with the #0 issue card project (which would have been cool if the greedy card *BLEEEEEP* didn't try and rake the fans over the coals) engendering a lot of bad will....Well, the company folded. We were scrambling so much, too, I never felt we 100% pulled the concept together. If it would have lasted though it would have gotten better and better.

I think that's it.

You'd post art for a Defiant comic I haven't read yet?

If I had tear ducts, I might cry.

DL
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DL »

Yeah. Definitely send me the actual envelope. Priority mail or otherwise (though the priority mail is the perfect size). If as you all think, I'm going to get a ton of mail, all I want to do is like the song says...Here I am, baby...draw, sign, seal, and deliver. (or something like that.)

Also thanks, Siren3-4 for posting the link to my auctions. I have no idea how to make a link.

DL
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DL »

Chiclo wrote:
DL wrote:Thanks again for all the responses.

I think that's it.

You'd post art for a Defiant comic I haven't read yet?

If I had tear ducts, I might cry.
Yeah. Like I said I just put up the ones of a myspace page and I want to get a blog going so I can lie about myself. It'd probably be cool to post. You won't be able to read it though as there's no dialogue, and the way we did things then, and least on my books, was I'd draw a bunch of stuff from my head based on a vague idea we talked about, then the dialogue would be scripted.

Also call this number (RTE) G23-ZZH4 and ask for tear duct repair. They do a nice job for not a lot of money. Tell 'em Marty sent you.

DL
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DL »

Forgot to mention a shout out to my good friend whom I've never met Steve from World's Best Comics. Though I wouldn't know you if I ran you down in my monster truck I don't own. I feel you are the brother I never had and the sister I never knew you wanted.

Say hi to mom and the boys and brush your teeth every day. Now that your seven they have to last you your whole life through.

Nighty night. As you can tell I'm sleepy. Thanks to everyone for all your great advice and support. I hope you all hit the lottery and drag yourself out of this horrendous muck we call muck, but I call life.

worldsbestcomics
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set? Done.
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set?  Done.

Post by worldsbestcomics »

DL wrote:Forgot to mention a shout out to my good friend whom I've never met Steve from World's Best Comics.
:thumb: :lol:

Just don't hold my suggestion to post here against me when you start getting all the books in the mail...

p.s. your flipcover Magnus/Rai was beautiful and Harbinger was something special. Thank you.