David Lapham Fans NEED to read this!!!!!!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

dellamorte wrote:Welcome David. That is a very generous offer you've made and I'm sure you have a few hundred people here who will take you up on it.
Agree (on "welcome", on "generous" and on the estimated number), the sketches are both nice and fun. This is a very special offer.

/Magnus

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

Welcome! Nice to see another Valiant legend joining the boards. :clap:

Fanboy375
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Fanboy375 »

DL wrote:Yes it is a Vertigo book, and I'm trying my G#$damn hardest to make sure it's not cancelled. I'm putting my heart and soul into this thing and I'm trying to spread the word.

Thus here I am. Being a novice at posting I hope I'm in the right spot. (Who knew there were so many Valiant fans gathered in one spot? I guess you all did, but ask the checkout lady at Vons. I bet she didn't....) But I just wanted to thank anyone spreading the word about Young Liars and everyone who will give it a try. It would mean everything to me to make this book a success. Not only because it's my living and my passion but also because it would allow me the freedom to get back to Stray Bullet, if even only on a limited basis.

Any advice from anyone about how I can get the word out within this forum and elsewhere, please let me have it.

I don't know if this sounds like a swell idea to anyone, but let me throw out this offer:

Anyone who tries out Young Liars and sends it to me with a SASE will have the comic returned signed (personalized or not) along with a headshot sketch of any character you choose. Could be a Young Liars character, Stray Bullets character, Your favorite Valiant character, etc.

If anyone's willing to risk sending me a Valiant comic I can sign those, too, but other than promising not to rip, fold, or crumple your comic personally and packing it back in your mailer, I can't take any other responsibility for what the good folks at the PO might do to it. So be careful.

Spread the word on this. I'll do this for anyone who tries out YL.

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

Much thanks to eternalwarrior for his wise advice and for getting this post going.

I'll check back here if anyone has any questions about the book. And I apologize in advance if this is not the best or proper place for a post like this.
What a CLASS ACT!!! I can't wait to send mine out to you!!!

Jonathan :thumb:

DL
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DL »

Thanks all for the response.

Bring it on. As many sketches as I do I figure I'm getting someone to try the new book. So I get something out of it too don't forget. Plus the SASE makes it easy. Getting stuff in a box or envelope, stamped, addressed, taped, and to the PO is the toughest part for me. The rest is like having a mini-con in my house. I sit my *SQUEE* down and sketch.

So I'll take all comers. If you've got a friend who's not on here but might dig this and would like a sketch bring 'em on.

I have a three kids and don't really get out to signings and cons anymore so...

I've done a bunch of superhero freelance work the last few years and though I'm proud of what I've done--(I know the reviews are mixed and I also see how not all projects come out as intended.)--this is the first book that's 100% me. I know I may not attract all Valiant readers because I can get pretty dark and brutal like Stray Bullets. Despite that, SB does come from a lot of the dark stuff in my life, where YL, though it has amazing amounts of brutality (y'know, for kids) it does play more to my fun and absurd side.

For SB fans I can describe it like the merger of Stray Bullets and amy Racecar into the same reality based world. I bring my love of music, violence, female protagonists, effed up male protagonists, frustrated love, violence, midgets, drugs, freaks, violence again and finally castration...all in one book! Now doesn't that sound like fun? Believe you me, if you were me that would be fun.

Thanks all for the warm greetings.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
DL wrote:Yes it is a Vertigo book, and I'm trying my G#$damn hardest to make sure it's not cancelled. I'm putting my heart and soul into this thing and I'm trying to spread the word.

Thus here I am. Being a novice at posting I hope I'm in the right spot. (Who knew there were so many Valiant fans gathered in one spot? I guess you all did, but ask the checkout lady at Vons. I bet she didn't....) But I just wanted to thank anyone spreading the word about Young Liars and everyone who will give it a try. It would mean everything to me to make this book a success. Not only because it's my living and my passion but also because it would allow me the freedom to get back to Stray Bullet, if even only on a limited basis.

Any advice from anyone about how I can get the word out within this forum and elsewhere, please let me have it.

I don't know if this sounds like a swell idea to anyone, but let me throw out this offer:

Anyone who tries out Young Liars and sends it to me with a SASE will have the comic returned signed (personalized or not) along with a headshot sketch of any character you choose. Could be a Young Liars character, Stray Bullets character, Your favorite Valiant character, etc.

If anyone's willing to risk sending me a Valiant comic I can sign those, too, but other than promising not to rip, fold, or crumple your comic personally and packing it back in your mailer, I can't take any other responsibility for what the good folks at the PO might do to it. So be careful.

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

Much thanks to eternalwarrior for his wise advice and for getting this post going.

I'll check back here if anyone has any questions about the book. And I apologize in advance if this is not the best or proper place for a post like this.
HOLY CRAP! David Lapham...? HERE???

We're not worthy....we're not worthy....

How freakin' cool is it to have you on these boards...???

FREAKIN' COOL, MAN!!

WOW.

Welcome to the border!

DL
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DL »

"Mr. Lapham, I see you recently did a story for the new American Splendor comic from Vertigo. Any stories about working with Harvey Pekar?

I will definitely be buying your new book, Young Liars and hopefully take you up on your kind offer. I haven't been to a local comic shop in months so that's saying something in my case."

It's funny, everything goes through an editor so I never even spoke to Harvey, but I did learn he was very happy with what I did.

He works in an interesting way in that his stories are written on blank unlined paper. He divides the paper with a lie down the middle and vertical lines to make 12 panels or so (more) then basically draws in stick figures with dialogue. It's great. It also leaves a ton of room for the artist to visualize and interpret the story however they want. I felt that I was responsible for the subtext of the story. For instance, my first story (I did 2) was about an awkward teen who comes to visit Harvey because he saw the movie and isn't even really a fan. I had to read the story and basically come up with who I thought that kid was. What's his problem, why is her doing this? What, based on what I know about Harvey through his comic, is Harvey's reason for even seeing the kid, and what is his reaction to the kid? What does the kid want from Harvey and what does Harvey want from the kid? I also bring a lot of my "young awkward dysfunctional" self to the kid and my "wise older awkward self" to the mix. In my case I determined it to be an awkward affair (no shocker) with a lot of silence and little eye contact. Harvey's looking for an ego boost from a fan and he's not getting it. The kid is looking to connect with someone "famous" outside his miserable life and he doesn't get it. Or maybe he does....

Believe me, this is a lot of freedom for an artist.

Anyway, the reason Harvey's stories are so great is because he gives a real slice of life. A comics Raymond Carver. A simple story but fun to interpret.

Fanboy375
From DC Comics Website

Post by Fanboy375 »

YOUNG LIARS #1

Written by David Lapham; Art and Cover by Lapham

Indie comics auteur and SILVERFISH creator David Lapham hasn't embarked on a monthly series since STRAY BULLETS, his magnum opus that garnered industry awards and international acclaim. Now Lapham's back with YOUNG LIARS, his first full-color monthly series, about a group of misfits and their desperate attempt to salvage their crushed dreams.

"I haven't had this much fun since my Uncle Chuck took me on a crime spree in the fourth grade." — David Lapham

At the core of YOUNG LIARS is the disturbing relationship between Danny Noonan, a habitual liar and crap guitar player from Texas, and Sadie Dawkins, the object of his desire. Sadie was a poor little rich girl until a bullet lodged in her brain turned her into an adrenaline junkie who only listens to Danny.

But who shot Sadie only part of the mystery that drives YOUNG LIARS, from the twisted club scene of lower Manhattan to absurdist hijinx on the high seas. And from the hot shores of Ibiza to the haunted castles of Spain, Danny, Sadie and their entourage of losers will run from poorly disguised assassins, demented billionaires, and psychotic midgets — not to mention each other — in an absurd quest to get rich and famous. Or kill each other trying. YOUNG LIARS will provide relentless action, suspense, sex and murder in the way that only David Lapham can deliver.

"It's got a great beat and you can dance to it. Grade: A-"
--VARIETY

Vertigo | 32pg. | Color | $2.99 US | Mature Readers

On Sale March 5, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOUNG LIARS #2

You may think you know everything there is to know about Danny Noonan. You may think he's just a normal, gun-toting, angst-ridden kid with a hot girlfriend who has a bullet in her brain. Well, you'd be wrong.

Before he was all that, Danny Noonan was a normal, angst-ridden kid without all those other things. Then he met Sadie. And something so wonderful happened to him, it could only end in unimaginable horror.

--VARIETY

On Sale April 9, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOUNG LIARS #3

I suppose you were wondering what happened when we left you hanging at the end of issue #1. Well, wait no longer. The hunt for a priceless painting begins! See a grown man cry. See a grown man light himself on fire. And finally, see a grown man cry again! In between, Sadie abandons everyone, Danny shoots people, Don Diego O.D.s, and Runco can't find shampoo. There'll be more running, hitting, chopping and shooting than you would've thought possible without attracting the military. Come and find out why it's such a Hard Knock Life for this gang of would-be not losers.

--VARIETY

On Sale May 14, 2008

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

Firstly, weclome to the board, Mr. Lapham!

Secondly, already have the first two issues. Convincing other to do so as we speak, as I love it (see previous "brilliant and cancelled") comment. :)

Thirdly, good move on the generous offer you posted here! You made the right move by getting these forums involved - we'll be sure to get the word out about Young Liars.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

DL wrote:"Mr. Lapham, I see you recently did a story for the new American Splendor comic from Vertigo. Any stories about working with Harvey Pekar?

I will definitely be buying your new book, Young Liars and hopefully take you up on your kind offer. I haven't been to a local comic shop in months so that's saying something in my case."

It's funny, everything goes through an editor so I never even spoke to Harvey, but I did learn he was very happy with what I did.

He works in an interesting way in that his stories are written on blank unlined paper. He divides the paper with a lie down the middle and vertical lines to make 12 panels or so (more) then basically draws in stick figures with dialogue. It's great. It also leaves a ton of room for the artist to visualize and interpret the story however they want. I felt that I was responsible for the subtext of the story. For instance, my first story (I did 2) was about an awkward teen who comes to visit Harvey because he saw the movie and isn't even really a fan. I had to read the story and basically come up with who I thought that kid was. What's his problem, why is her doing this? What, based on what I know about Harvey through his comic, is Harvey's reason for even seeing the kid, and what is his reaction to the kid? What does the kid want from Harvey and what does Harvey want from the kid? I also bring a lot of my "young awkward dysfunctional" self to the kid and my "wise older awkward self" to the mix. In my case I determined it to be an awkward affair (no shocker) with a lot of silence and little eye contact. Harvey's looking for an ego boost from a fan and he's not getting it. The kid is looking to connect with someone "famous" outside his miserable life and he doesn't get it. Or maybe he does....

Believe me, this is a lot of freedom for an artist.

Anyway, the reason Harvey's stories are so great is because he gives a real slice of life. A comics Raymond Carver. A simple story but fun to interpret.
Thanks for answering my question! I remember when they were showing Harvey drawing his stick figures in the American Splendor movie, great to see he still works that way. I'm also glad to see Harvey getting regular work with DC for his American Splendor stories.

Now you've really got me looking forward to getting back to the comic shop! :thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Hola compadre.

I have loved everything that I have seen from you.

My favorite parts of all of your posts is that you have 3 kids so no longer do many signings or cons anymore......

For what it is worth I commend you on being such a dedicated father.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a great offer with the sketches. I expect you might be getting a few packages in the mail. :D

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

Welcome to the boards.
:clap:

You will find that there is a lot of us that have also collected your artwork over the years and have had the pleasure of getting the free head shots. Great stuff. :thumb:

I thank I have 3 or 4 now and will post them for others to see.

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

I bought YL, but haven't read it....it just moved to the top of the stack!

JustCallMeAric
...remember that they are just paper.
...remember that they are just paper.

Post by JustCallMeAric »

Now I will have to check out YL. I don't branch out too much but when Lapham comes on and says please read it how can I not? Will definately be sending him a Valiant in the mail.

worldsbestcomics
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set? Done.
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set?  Done.

Post by worldsbestcomics »

Welcome to the Boards!

I loved Harbinger and Stray Bullets. I don't get to the LCS as oftens as I used to but I will head there and pick up Young Liars. The decriptions sound great.

Your generous offer of the sign/sketch will put some stress on your postman's back unless I'm very mistaken.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Woohoo!! Lapham is in the house! :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's a great offer David, and I hope your book does well. :)

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

Very, very cool . . .

I already recommend your work to friends and will now upgrade that to actively posting on other boards to help get the word out . . .

Vertigo is a great imprint to be putting your book out on . .

I love the layout of your covers on YL and the logo (the gun/guitar) is perfect . . .

I really miss Stray Bullets and almost have all the HC collections as well as the books (that #4 hardcover is proving to be a PITA to find . . .)

It is so great to have you posting here . . Harbinger had a huge affect on me and a lot of us here . . so thank you . .

-Mike

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Welcome! :clap:
Love your work and had fun bidding in your recent art auctions!
Young Liars sounds awesome and has been added to my pull list!
DAN

Lightning Strike

Elveen wrote:Hola compadre.

I have loved everything that I have seen from you.

My favorite parts of all of your posts is that you have 3 kids so no longer do many signings or cons anymore......

For what it is worth I commend you on being such a dedicated father.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Agreed. It's nice to see that and I echo Elveen's words David :thumb:

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Well, I was gonna pick up the eventual trade paperback of this series, but this is quite a nice incentive to go pick up the individual issues.

it's nice to have you around here!

VHMMV
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by VHMMV »

I just have to jump in here and say how much I loved, loved, loved Warriors of Plasm. I do this because I don't think that it ever got the love which it deserved.

Lightning Strike

VHMMV wrote:I just have to jump in here and say how much I loved, loved, loved Warriors of Plasm. I do this because I don't think that it ever got the love which it deserved.
:thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Lightning Strike wrote:
VHMMV wrote:I just have to jump in here and say how much I loved, loved, loved Warriors of Plasm. I do this because I don't think that it ever got the love which it deserved.
Agreed.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

For sure.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

:o Totally awesome! I already have enjoyed (is that exactly the right word, I don't know, they're pretty intense) the first two issues. And am totally excited to take you up on your awesome offer! Real stupid question that you may not be able to answer: I've been holding off on purchasing the fourth hardcover, in the hopes that when there are enough issues to collect, there will be another slipcase with the fourth through sixth hardcovers. Any likelihood of this one day? Either way, it's really cool to have you drop in. From Murder Me Dead to Warriors of Plasm (range, not chronological), great work!