BRETT RATNER MOVES TO PARAMOUNT

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Knightt wrote:hehe, ah I think it'll work out all in due time. I bet the VEI boys gotta plan and once it's unleashed... stop yer grinnin and drop yer linen, I bet it will be pretty cool.

I sure do need something FRESH to read.... Marvel's been p!ssing me off these days so I keep myself afloat with DUs. :thumb: Can't go wrong there fellas, finite universe, 99.7% of the issues are CHEAP and it's a blast trying to find some of this stuff. Besides, me and the guys in the basement are pretty good at handing stuff out. :thumb:
That is the thing - exactly.

I am very dissatisfied with DC and Marvel. I have dropped around half a dozen titles between the two in the past couple of months with more to follow. I am looking for new ongoings to fill the void and have picked out a few from other publishers, so now is the time I most want to see new choices available.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

Knightt wrote:Good Lord... how long can you guys hold your breath for new comics ? :wink:
It would be really terrific if there are comics out before the movie so that fans can enjoy both the old stuff and jump onboard with "new" stories.

If I know anything, it's that people's attention spans are very, very, very short, and you need to be on the ball to grab them and keep them.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Knightt wrote:Good Lord... how long can you guys hold your breath for new comics ? :wink:

-slym

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

leonmallett wrote:
Knightt wrote:hehe, ah I think it'll work out all in due time. I bet the VEI boys gotta plan and once it's unleashed... stop yer grinnin and drop yer linen, I bet it will be pretty cool.

I sure do need something FRESH to read.... Marvel's been p!ssing me off these days so I keep myself afloat with DUs. :thumb: Can't go wrong there fellas, finite universe, 99.7% of the issues are CHEAP and it's a blast trying to find some of this stuff. Besides, me and the guys in the basement are pretty good at handing stuff out. :thumb:

I am very dissatisfied with DC and Marvel. I have dropped around half a dozen titles between the two in the past couple of months with more to follow. I am looking for new ongoings to fill the void and have picked out a few from other publishers, so now is the time I most want to see new choices available.
If you are looking for new books...I don't know if you've already read these/dropped them...but try Fables-and later, Jack of Fables-and Ex Machina. Two of the best, most original things in the medium these days.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

slym2none wrote:

-slym
No Mr. Wonka, I didn't take any of your gum....honest.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

xodacia81 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

If you are looking for new books...I don't know if you've already read these/dropped them...but try Fables-and later, Jack of Fables-and Ex Machina. Two of the best, most original things in the medium these days.
I tried Ex-Machina a while back... really didnt care for it. I have heard nothing but 10s in reference to Fables. But just added Epic and AC and maybe another one, I'm not sure hehehe I am going to get a good list going before I start anything new up (yeah, I say that now, right ?) :wink:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

steverino wrote:
It would be really terrific if there are comics out before the movie so that fans can enjoy both the old stuff and jump onboard with "new" stories.

If I know anything, it's that people's attention spans are very, very, very short, and you need to be on the ball to grab them and keep them.
Timing would be very important.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Knightt wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

I tried Ex-Machina a while back... really didnt care for it. I have heard nothing but 10s in reference to Fables. But just added Epic and AC and maybe another one, I'm not sure hehehe I am going to get a good list going before I start anything new up (yeah, I say that now, right ?) :wink:
Fables is worth a 100. It's simply the best thing going right now, as far as I'm concerned. The writing, the art, the continuity...fantastic. And, once you get to Jack of Fables, and once that series really gets under way-about 10 issues or so in-you realize just how large the "universe" is that Willingham has created.

JustCallMeAric
...remember that they are just paper.
...remember that they are just paper.

Post by JustCallMeAric »

Knightt wrote: I tried Ex-Machina a while back... really didnt care for it. I have heard nothing but 10s in reference to Fables. But just added Epic and AC and maybe another one, I'm not sure hehehe I am going to get a good list going before I start anything new up (yeah, I say that now, right ?) :wink:
Bummer Ex Machina is my favorite book.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

steverino wrote:

I would hope to God that VEI is publishing by the time the Harbinger movie sees the light of day. With everything I've been reading on here it looks like it could be as far away as 2011, if it even comes out at all... or did I miss something?

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

etos45 wrote:
steverino wrote:

I would hope to God that VEI is publishing by the time the Harbinger movie sees the light of day. With everything I've been reading on here it looks like it could be as far away as 2011, if it even comes out at all... or did I miss something?
No movie is much more likely. Rattner has talked about doing many other projects, but not Harby. I wouldn't be surprised if the option has already lapsed.
ASM Crossover Home

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I can't see a movie coming out either. A no name group of superheroes amidst Marvel and DC characters out the ying/yang in the coming years.

I can just see it now... "Harbing... what?"

Besides, a movie before books is putting the cart before the donkey, I mean really... who would go see it when you've got Spidey, Wolverine, FF, Batman... if I were new to the comic book movies scene, I might think wow a copycat movie for the X-Men.

Besides, movies and movie deals are talked about ALL THE TIME, until one goes into production, you can pretty much rest assured something will come out, but then again other movies have lost funding in the past.

I just dont see Harbinger making it as a movie... or making it's money back. Just my opinion which means squat. :wink:

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Knightt wrote: I just dont see Harbinger making it as a movie... or making it's money back. Just my opinion which means squat. :wink:
I agree. They'd probably be better off doing cartoons with their stuff money wise.
ASM Crossover Home

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

400yrs wrote:
Knightt wrote: I just dont see Harbinger making it as a movie... or making it's money back. Just my opinion which means squat. :wink:
I agree. They'd probably be better off doing cartoons with their stuff money wise.

Last edited by robb77 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:32:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

400yrs wrote:
How bout just focus on COMICS ? Then test the field and see if more things would options to expand the proprieties.

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

Sadly I don't see much of anything coming from VEI at this point, I don't even know if we will see another HC.

It's too late now but I think the money spent on recoloring the old comics and the new short stories would have given a much better return had it been spent on releasing new books.

The only plus side is that they haven't blown it yet. They still have the one chance to put out new comics and capture an audience. But as I said above, I don't even think monthly comics or even a mini series are in their plans.

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

Ive never been a fan of the hc's (maybe if they had a full story not a couple of pages) more new material would have been great. fingers crossed they do something productive
Last edited by robb77 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:21:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

dellamorte wrote:Sadly I don't see much of anything coming from VEI at this point, I don't even know if we will see another HC.

It's too late now but I think the money spent on recoloring the old comics and the new short stories would have given a much better return had it been spent on releasing new books.

The only plus side is that they haven't blown it yet. They still have the one chance to put out new comics and capture an audience. But as I said above, I don't even think monthly comics or even a mini series are in their plans.
Well, in all honesty, I'd say it's easier to say that the money would have been better spent on new comics, but I think the reality is that it was much, much cheaper to recolor old comics and throw in a new short story than it would be to launch a new line. I also assume, with no real knowledge of the industry, that the dollar spent to dollar earned ratio would be much higher on the HCs. Now, it might be said that publishing new material would bring in a larger amount of new readers IF it were received well, but the HC was a lower risk, profit maker. Just my opinion.

As for the movie, I'll repeat what I said before in that I think if and when the Harbinger movie ever sees the light of day, VEI will be well into production of new comics.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I think that VEI had plans for new comics. Now if the plans do not happen that would be too bad.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Knightt wrote:I can't see a movie coming out either. A no name group of superheroes amidst Marvel and DC characters out the ying/yang in the coming years.

I can just see it now... "Harbing... what?"

Besides, a movie before books is putting the cart before the donkey, I mean really... who would go see it when you've got Spidey, Wolverine, FF, Batman... if I were new to the comic book movies scene, I might think wow a copycat movie for the X-Men.

Besides, movies and movie deals are talked about ALL THE TIME, until one goes into production, you can pretty much rest assured something will come out, but then again other movies have lost funding in the past.

I just dont see Harbinger making it as a movie... or making it's money back. Just my opinion which means squat. :wink:
To be honest the need for comic books in order to launch a comic book-based movie isn't so major.

Blade was a franchise success without a regular book at the time or an A-list character.

The best selling comic book has about 100k readers or so per month, whereas a movie taking $300,000,000 USD is likely to be seen by (I guess) 20-30 million people worldwide. Or to put it another way, for each issue sold, 199-299 people might not read the book regularly but do see the movie. Even if ten times that number have read of the character(s) in the past (a generous estimate I'd say), then you are still looking at one in twenty/thirty movie-goers actually reading/having read the material. In essence most people watching superhero movies may not have read about the characters they are going to see. Look at the sales bumps for the successful movie-realted comic books: they do not jump by the millions of readers that see the movie.

The audience isn't comic book fans. The audience is comic book movie fans.

Just my thoughts of any perceived necessity of monthly ongoings being required for movies.

I don't think VEI are going to launch a line of monthlies any time soon. They have been too quiet, there have been no leaks, and their announcements too long ago. In fact I think their primary motivation all along has been product ownership to develop other media licensing rather than regular comic book publication (and the hardcovers serve as neat packages to show off properties - actually there may be more to it, such as focusing on the grwoing area of the market in collected editions, whilst neglecting the 50% of the market from which most collected editions come from: monthly books). Which is fine, but may not be as they represented themselves to people on this board. Now if I am wrong I would not object, as long as they offer evidence to show I am wrong. In which case I would happily apologise.

The comic book market is a shrinking niche that is often the vehicle to package movie options, but really they are two largely (though not entirely) seprate media strands. In any given month hundreds of different comic book tiltes are pumped out. In any given year a handful of movie properties based on comic books make it to cinemas.

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

TKWill wrote:No mention of Harbinger?

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=13059
Looks like Ratner would rather talk about making lame movies like Beverly Hills Cop IV.

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
TKWill wrote:No mention of Harbinger?

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=13059
Looks like Ratner would rather talk about making lame movies like Beverly Hills Cop IV.
I really hope this doesn't surprise anyone. To be fair to Ratner, I bet he has a dozen other "developmental hell" movies that he isn't talking about either.

Blade didn't have a top comic book, A list actor or property but it did have a production house that had the capital to help advertise for it.

Plus, lets keep in mind the budget for the first Blade movie was not alot. Harbinger won't do well with a Blade budget, IMO.

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

I may have sensationalized my headline a little. I really didn't know if he would mention it but I thought people would want to read the article.

yardstick
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by yardstick »

slym2none wrote:

-slym

just a little longer....