Creepiest moment of comic collecting

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Creepiest moment of comic collecting

Post by kevinbastos »

So, I was brushing through quarter bins at a local shop. I got word that a shop owner was blowing through his inventory, on account of... well... a fire at his house. Yeah, I'm a big jerk... So, I was feeling a little down on myself... I'd been trying to fill in a few slots in my collection... Had bought a few big old valiant runs, but couldn't locate last issues, the Shadowman glow-in-the-darks, etc. I was at a crummy life point with my job, and working all the time... My wife couldn't find her 'ideal' teaching job, etc. Anyhoo, I'm flipping through books, and not really finding much of anything. Someone near me asks, "What are you looking for?" At that moment, I find the gem of the collection so far - a copy of the Wonder Man one-shot. Yes, that tells you how awful this hunt was. I look him in the eye, and I say, "It's pretty obscure. A comic company, Valiant, went out of business, and I'm attempting to fill in holes..." I'm being a bit of a tool with him, but certainly trying to translate: "I CAN DO THIS ON MY OWN!" He prods again, "Can I help you?" All I'm thinking is, "MOST likely, any junk in here, I've got 14 copies of already. NO! I don't need any more Harbinger 27. The comic stunk after 25. I'm looking for 41. Or X-O 68. Turok 47. Do you wanna write this down? Of course not. If we had an afternoon of training, I'd get you up to speed, then you could look for me. Not interested, kid. Sorry." :roll: So I try a few more polite conversation enders with him... He's not catching my subtleties. So, finally, he gets it. I don't need or want his help. LONG PAUSE. Then he inserts, "I'm looking for comics where girls fight." I stop flipping. Turn my head. Look him in the eye. He holds up a comic of She-Hulk or some such person drawn in Liefeldian manner, throttling some other mammarically outrageous person to the ground in a completely suggestive manner. He opens the book, passionately describing some battle, and I think, "I need to help him find comics. Be nice. He may also have an interest in following people and turning them into zombies." I smile, help, then think - FIND AN EXCUSE TO GET OUT! I leave, and am grateful. First and foremost, I'm not that guy. Second, for what I DO have. Beautiful wife, job, etc. I'm a happier dude. Next shop I go in the week after? X-O 68. Bloodshot 51. Healthy appreciation for life.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Re: Creepiest moment of comic collecting

Post by depluto »

kevinbastos wrote:He holds up a comic of She-Hulk or some such person drawn in Liefeldian manner, throttling some other mammarically outrageous person to the ground in a completely suggestive manner.
Sounds OK to me.

:? :lol:

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

depluto wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:He holds up a comic of She-Hulk or some such person drawn in Liefeldian manner, throttling some other mammarically outrageous person to the ground in a completely suggestive manner.
Sounds OK to me.

:? :lol:
Bomb Queen has a special place in my bathroom. :thumb:

sanman
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

We have one at my LCS, but I’m usually nice if not tolerant. However, last month I was on a date guess who I see walking up the street…

I was able to avoid welcoming the guy over, but my date saw that I was avoiding him and was curious about the situation.

Long story short, I told her that he was this socially awkward guy from the comic book shop...

Yeah, I outed myself as a comic book enthusiast, but she was more curious abut my hobby as I don’t wear my fandom on my selves—usually.

Anyway, she has been very supportive and understanding about so many things, besides comics and my involvement here, so it was nice to get my reading/collecting out in the open.

This weekend we have a family reception on Friday, at the Angola Rodeo on Saturday, and dinner with my family Sunday—she’s a keeper bros!

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

It's a hit and miss sometimes when you visit comic shops. Once in awhile you find a person that genuinely loves the business and is glad to help though. I remember my brother and I going to a shop and couldn't get anyone to run the cash register because the owner and his employees were too busy playing a game of pool in the adjacent room (which had a clear view of the register). After waiting patiently at the counter for 5 -10 minutes, we just set the books down and left. He went out of business a short time later... (imagine that)

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

sanman wrote:
Anyway, she has been very supportive and understanding about so many things, besides comics and my involvement here, so it was nice to get my reading/collecting out in the open.

This weekend we have a family reception on Friday, at the Angola Rodeo on Saturday, and dinner with my family Sunday—she’s a keeper bros!
:thumb: I can remember the first time seeing a 'regular' girl in a comic book shop. She attended often enough, and I found out, was dating one of the (rather homely) guys who owned the shop. I thought, "DAMN!" even though she WASN'T one of those terrifyingly stunning women.

Made the switch - and saw more in people beyond the surface. Also brought my own dorkitude out to the forefront. Made me a much crazier, and I found out, more desirable ( :gossip: let him go with it... he's on a roll, here) person. Met the woman of my dreams shortly thereafter - stunningly beautiful, of course. But the best thing about her was that I WAS MY FULL CRAZY SELF, and she loveeess it. Still not a comic girl, but I'm raising three cuties that are, and I can love it and her.

Sanman, if she knows and stays, you win. Prost!

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

BruceReville wrote:Bomb Queen has a special place in my bathroom. :thumb:
:lol:

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

kevinbastos wrote: Then he inserts, "I'm looking for comics where girls fight." I stop flipping. Turn my head. Look him in the eye. He holds up a comic of She-Hulk or some such person drawn in Liefeldian manner, throttling some other mammarically outrageous person to the ground in a completely suggestive manner. He opens the book, passionately describing some battle, and I think, "I need to help him find comics.
Here's one for the guy:

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

kevinbastos wrote: Next shop I go in the week after? X-O 68. Bloodshot 51. Healthy appreciation for life.

Ding, ding, ding,... we have a winner!! :thumb: :clap:

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

kevinbastos wrote:So, I was brushing through quarter bins at a local shop. I got word that a shop owner was blowing through his inventory, on account of... well... a fire at his house. Yeah, I'm a big jerk... So, I was feeling a little down on myself... I'd been trying to fill in a few slots in my collection... Had bought a few big old valiant runs, but couldn't locate last issues, the Shadowman glow-in-the-darks, etc. I was at a crummy life point with my job, and working all the time... My wife couldn't find her 'ideal' teaching job, etc. Anyhoo, I'm flipping through books, and not really finding much of anything. Someone near me asks, "What are you looking for?" At that moment, I find the gem of the collection so far - a copy of the Wonder Man one-shot. Yes, that tells you how awful this hunt was. I look him in the eye, and I say, "It's pretty obscure. A comic company, Valiant, went out of business, and I'm attempting to fill in holes..." I'm being a bit of a tool with him, but certainly trying to translate: "I CAN DO THIS ON MY OWN!" He prods again, "Can I help you?" All I'm thinking is, "MOST likely, any junk in here, I've got 14 copies of already. NO! I don't need any more Harbinger 27. The comic stunk after 25. I'm looking for 41. Or X-O 68. Turok 47. Do you wanna write this down? Of course not. If we had an afternoon of training, I'd get you up to speed, then you could look for me. Not interested, kid. Sorry." :roll: So I try a few more polite conversation enders with him... He's not catching my subtleties. So, finally, he gets it. I don't need or want his help. LONG PAUSE. Then he inserts, "I'm looking for comics where girls fight." I stop flipping. Turn my head. Look him in the eye. He holds up a comic of She-Hulk or some such person drawn in Liefeldian manner, throttling some other mammarically outrageous person to the ground in a completely suggestive manner. He opens the book, passionately describing some battle, and I think, "I need to help him find comics. Be nice. He may also have an interest in following people and turning them into zombies." I smile, help, then think - FIND AN EXCUSE TO GET OUT! I leave, and am grateful. First and foremost, I'm not that guy. Second, for what I DO have. Beautiful wife, job, etc. I'm a happier dude. Next shop I go in the week after? X-O 68. Bloodshot 51. Healthy appreciation for life.
That was you? Sorry if I came on a little strong. :lol:

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

sanman wrote:We have one at my LCS, but I’m usually nice if not tolerant. However, last month I was on a date guess who I see walking up the street…

I was able to avoid welcoming the guy over, but my date saw that I was avoiding him and was curious about the situation.

Long story short, I told her that he was this socially awkward guy from the comic book shop...

Yeah, I outed myself as a comic book enthusiast, but she was more curious abut my hobby as I don’t wear my fandom on my selves—usually.

Mine just thinks its coins, cars, and Lego... :D HAHAHA!
Last edited by Unblessed on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:27:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

sanman wrote:—she’s a keeper bros!
Sweet bro. Congrats.

sanman

Post by sanman »

Elveen wrote:
sanman wrote:—she’s a keeper bros!
Sweet bro. Congrats.

Veen, you’d approve—she's also a school teacher with much experience on the mission field, including a year in China.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

sanman wrote:We have one at my LCS, but I’m usually nice if not tolerant. However, last month I was on a date guess who I see walking up the street…

I know this post wasn't intended to be funny, but there are parts that are. So much of it sounds like it could have come from an AA meeting. Ah, our beloved hobby; and secret shame. :P

Ax
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Ax »

kevinbastos wrote:"I'm looking for comics where girls fight."
That's so awesome. At least he had his priorities straight.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Ax wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:"I'm looking for comics where girls fight."
That's so awesome. At least he had his priorities straight.
Sadly, I think that was his comic book friend 'pick-up line.'

Sorta... This guy looks cool. I'll let him know I'm awesome, too.

Or, perhaps... This guy looks like a total freak. I'll say something that will make him feel at home.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

kevinbastos wrote:
sanman wrote:

:thumb: I can remember the first time seeing a 'regular' girl in a comic book shop. She attended often enough, and I found out, was dating one of the (rather homely) guys who owned the shop. I thought, "DAMN!" even though she WASN'T one of those terrifyingly stunning women.

Made the switch - and saw more in people beyond the surface. Also brought my own dorkitude out to the forefront. Made me a much crazier, and I found out, more desirable ( :gossip: let him go with it... he's on a roll, here) person. Met the woman of my dreams shortly thereafter - stunningly beautiful, of course. But the best thing about her was that I WAS MY FULL CRAZY SELF, and she loveeess it. Still not a comic girl, but I'm raising three cuties that are, and I can love it and her.

Sanman, if she knows and stays, you win. Prost!

It's a bit of a rarity, but I've seen attractive females at comic shops. Thing is, female comic readers are miniscule, in number, compared to male comic readers. Then you have to factor in that, more likely than not, they'll be somewhat similar to their male counterparts (Let's face it, there are quite a few dorky comic book readers, including social rejects as described by the TS).

Here's one situation I remember from years back, involving attractive females in comic shops. I was at UT Austin, and there was a comic shop on-campus. While I'm in there, I see two surprisingly attractive girls. I'm not talking moderately attractive, they were pretty damn hot. They were checking me out, I thought about talking to them, I'm about to go in for the kill......And a friend of mine, whose English wasn't every good, walks over and says loudly, "What are you doing in here looking at cartoons?" .....The two girls give him a look and just walk away, lol.

My ex-wife would occasionally read comics. She wasn't that into them, though.

My current girlfriend looks pretty good......I lent a hardcover trade of Supreme Power to her and she likes it quite a bit. I'll probably lend her a few other books/runs over time.

Going back on the social rejects aspect of comic shops, the shop I've been going to the past few years has quite a few normal people going in there. You'll get a few odd people strolling in, but, for the most part, it doesn't fit the cliche comic shop stereotype at all.

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Savant wrote: Going back on the social rejects aspect of comic shops, the shop I've been going to the past few years has quite a few normal people going in there. You'll get a few odd people strolling in, but, for the most part, it doesn't fit the cliche comic shop stereotype at all.
I can believe people have the power to fly, but this, I simply cannot believe. :lol:

Chuck
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!

Post by Chuck »

dave wrote:
Savant wrote: Going back on the social rejects aspect of comic shops, the shop I've been going to the past few years has quite a few normal people going in there. You'll get a few odd people strolling in, but, for the most part, it doesn't fit the cliche comic shop stereotype at all.
I can believe people have the power to fly, but this, I simply cannot believe. :lol:
Yup. It's been about 25 years since I've shed my comic book dorkyness.

Now, I keep my comicbook hobby to myself.

Most people I've worked with care nothing for comic books or to talk about it.

With you guys and others that collect, I would not doubt we could talk comics all day long.

However, the non comic book collector could careless that Spiderman joined the Fantastic Four (Freedom Foundation). Any level of comic book details will just put them to sleep.