Board Top
| Main Website
Price Guide | New Comics

ValiantFans.com Message Board - Tenth Anniversary 2004 - 2014

An online community for fans of the Valiant Universe
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:24 pm 
not unlike me
not unlike me

Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
I just talked to Dinesh, and he thinks it would be cool if WE could come up with questions for Warren Simons, Executive Editor for Valiant Entertainment.

It's now up to us... what do we want to know about Valiant that Warren might answer?

I'm sure they won't reveal EVERYTHING right now, but it sounds like they're ready to know what we want to know.

So, what do you want to know?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
  Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:36 pm 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

greg wrote:
I just talked to Dinesh, and he thinks it would be cool if WE could come up with questions for Warren Simons, Executive Editor for Valiant Entertainment.

It's now up to us... what do we want to know about Valiant that Warren might answer?

I'm sure they won't reveal EVERYTHING right now, but it sounds like they're ready to know what we want to know.

I hope it hasn't been listed somewhere already, but is the "new" valiant "new" or is it going to pick up where VH1 left off?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:59 pm 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

FormerReader wrote:
greg wrote:

I hope it hasn't been listed somewhere already, but is the "new" valiant "new" or is it going to pick up where VH1 left off?

http://blog.newsok.com/nerdage/2011/06/17/full-qa-with-valiant-comics-executive-editor-warren-simons/

According to a previous interview it will be a New Valiant Universe - I posted a link to this interview so we can come up with some new questions and not just rehash ones already asked.

I want to know if Acclaim character Joshua Fireseed can be used in the new Valiant as he is not a Gold Key character. :hm:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:17 pm 
...formerly mjm00014
...formerly mjm00014

Question: The previous Valiant universe had it's highs and lows, what has been the biggest creativity challenge for Valiant this past couple years?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:49 pm 
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Warren,

One of the things that was so attractive about Valiant in the 1991-1993 timeframe was the "house style." No matter who the artists were you could rip a page out of any of those books and anyone could see it was unmistakably Valiant. From the hand watercolors to the panel layouts, it was all clean, crisp, and beautiful to look at.

Modern comics are the antithesis of this style. Stylized figures, computer coloring, and layout madness are typical.

Can you reveal to us your plans in this area? How can you avoid a situation like the failure of the Gold Key Dark Horse line? I'm sure they thought they were doing great stuff in regards to style and art, but it really did not resonate at all.

Thank you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:03 am 
not unlike me
not unlike me

Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Warren --- I doubt if you want to completely rule anything out before you've started, but surely there are some old Valiant things that are not part of the plan.

Which characters or concepts should we expect to be omitted or radically different from the original Valiant universe?
For example, is it safe to say that Punx are not part of the plan? If PSI-Lords are used at all, should we expect them to be completely re-imagined? Dr. Eclipse? Etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 am 

greg wrote:
Warren --- I doubt if you want to completely rule anything out before you've started, but surely there are some old Valiant things that are not part of the plan.

Which characters or concepts should we expect to be omitted or radically different from the original Valiant universe?
For example, is it safe to say that Punx are not part of the plan? If PSI-Lords are used at all, should we expect them to be completely re-imagined? Dr. Eclipse? Etc.

Along those lines Mothergod was the Ultimate Darksied/Thanos type villian for the Valiant Universe, but how could she be incorporated into any new stories when her origins are so tied into Solar?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 am 
I'm Chiclo.
I'm Chiclo.

Favorite character: Kris
Warren - I am sorry to say that I am unfamiliar with your work. Have you mostly worked as an editor? Have you done any work as a creator? Is there any of your previous work that you would recommend I read to become more familiar with your work?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:18 am 
Special Agent Inadvertent Spoiler
Special Agent Inadvertent Spoiler

Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
FormerReader wrote:
greg wrote:

When we talked to the dudes at The Poker/Jeopardy game it was clear that it will NOT be a continuation of VH1, more like Ultimate Valiant.

For example Pete will be a teenager, not an adult.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:28 pm 

Elveen wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
greg wrote:

When we talked to the dudes at The Poker/Jeopardy game it was clear that it will NOT be a continuation of VH1, more like Ultimate Valiant.

For example Pete will be a teenager, not an adult.

I like that idea. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:34 pm 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!

Boxers or briefs?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:08 pm 
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

cplsimon wrote:
Boxers or briefs?

Or (X-O) Commando

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:13 pm 

Valiant fan since: 1991
Who are some of the artist and writers VALIANT has been working with in creating the new books for 2012?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:19 pm 
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Will Mike LeRoi still play a role in the Shadowman storyline (hopefully as a third Shadowman) and are there any plans to merge the Deadside theme into the original version? Also, I really like the V3 Acclaim Shadowman logo, have you considered using it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:23 pm 

BruceReville wrote:

I want to know if Acclaim character Joshua Fireseed can be used in the new Valiant as he is not a Gold Key character. :hm: [/b]

Good question, I would like to know about this as well. I really enjoyed the premise of the Fireseed lineage and light burden.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:53 pm 
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok

Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
Solar seemed to be the 'linchpin' of the old Valiant, will there be a central key figure to the New VU? A centralized event that sparks/holds the uni together?

Thanks for the willingness to do this. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 pm 

Will there be digital as well as traditional comics? If so, what is the pricing and will there be any delay in the digital release?

Any update on any of the movie options?

Thanks and looking forward to the new Valiant.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:23 pm 
Harbinger rank: Nensei
Harbinger rank: Nensei

This may have been answered somewhere already but I would like to know if the covers will use the same or similar layout/style of the pre unity stuff. Things such as the Valiant star in the corner, title placement, title design for each character etc.

for me, the covers of Magnus, Rai, Solar etc are one of the main reasons I became interested in Valiant.

thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 pm 
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?

Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Classic Valiant Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart (duh)
Favorite artist: Tom Fowler
Warren,

From looking at the list of books you've edited (I used Comicbookdb.com which may or may not be accurate), you've had long editorial runs on many of Marvel's heavy hitters such as ASM, DD, Thor, Invincible Iron Man, etc. as well as some of the smaller, but excellent books such as The Immortal Iron Fist and Magneto Testament.

What strikes me about this list is that I recall them mainly sticking to a pretty regular release schedule with the exception of Thor by JMS and Coipel. From your experience, what is better for the livelihood of a book, to ensure a regular release schedule with possibly a lower caliber of creators or to permit delays with very talented creators in order to tell the best possible story?

Also, along the same lines of creator consistency in a series, will the new Valiant stories be written with an eye toward the trade format or will the best possible stories be told regardless of whether they are one issue, two issues or six issues long?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:23 pm 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.

Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
I'm looking for all of the biggies, of course - which, when, and plans...

But in line with that - how can we help? Something more than talk it up or even pre-order would be great. This is a line we all love - and want to help along - so how - specifically - can we help this company be as successful as it can be?

I also want to know WHEN we can expect to know - and how the roll-out is planned - months, years, etc.

Valiant also did some great things - on both launches. We hesitate to compliment Acclaim as much as we should - some are throwing compliments to Shadowman, for example. Will we see homages to the mutual - or expansive past? What portions of each can and will be retained? I know questions have already been raised over premium issues - and I am still uncertain how I feel about that path - but what does the new Valiant plan to change/retain/retell/or restart?

Thanks!

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:01 am 
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.

Will I ever be able to read any new Quantum & Woody material written by Christopher Priest?
Please tell us anything you can about Quantum & Woody and/or Vincent the Goat.
Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 am 
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
Warren,

What will the general pricing be for the books? Will there be regular editions and deluxe editions available? Are you planning on creating variants of the first released books?

- JonesyAZ

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 am 

Will we see the return of Tohru Nakadai as Rai and will Grandmother and the Dragon City be brought back?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:48 pm 
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

New Valiant... got goat?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:25 pm 

Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite writer: BWS
:hope:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Will we see the return of Tohru Nakadai as Rai and will Grandmother and the Dragon City be brought back?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next