Is Rob Liefeld calling BS on the Valiant sales numbers?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Is Rob Liefeld calling BS on the Valiant sales numbers?

Post by jmatt »

kevinbastos wrote:Mahoney.

I am laughing out loud. Unable to stop. facepalm
Ya. I even laughed out lud the second time I saw it. Good one!

Ross2
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Ross2 »

Are there really people who came into comics because of Liefeld?

I'm thinking more people left comics because of him. At the very least, certainly his actions have caused more heartache to his business partners.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Tim wrote: And the art on X-Force and New Mutants was and still is tremendous. If you were around then you know full well that it was like nothing you'd ever seen before. You loved it, and bought it. Do not even front.
Of course we did, still, Rob is being a douchbag right now, for no apparent reason.
#StayValiant

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

I love how rob says on his twitter feed how he created Cable, Deadpool and others.

What about Fabian Nicieza, didn't he have just as much input?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

MarrowMan wrote:I love how rob says on his twitter feed how he created Cable, Deadpool and others.

That argument could be applied to anybody who was in a writer/artist team and claims the creation of any character. Stan Lee - how much input did Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko have on the creation of pretty much anything Stan goes around claiming relevancy over?

Paul Nolan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Paul Nolan »

MarrowMan wrote:I love how rob says on his twitter feed how he created Cable, Deadpool and others.

Fabian is only credited Scripts in the issues. Which implies that the plotter (IE Liefeld) did everything but the text you find in the issues, which Fabian did.

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

Ok cool, was just wondering what the thoughts were on it. :thumb:

rjrjr

Post by rjrjr »

paradise wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
paradise wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I can barely stop laughing. Nothing funnier than someone who doesn't know they are being made fun of, then add to the reason they are made fun of.

And to top it all off:
“@robertliefeld: I will be buying a crap load of XO's from @cparadize because he will have TWO THOUSAND copies available next Wed.”
Guess he knows where all those orders are coming from now...chump.
NO, Rob does not know about the deal we had offered here. I did tell him on twitter that we ordered 2,000 copies (something I have stated before, not a secret) and he went off saying that it was payola and that now it's all proven. To which I told him that I can (privately) tell him how I already sold enough copies to make my money back. He has my number, he can call me and I will tell him. I just don't want to discuss this type of stuff in an open forum, details. This deal was made because I am a member (since 06) here to other members, it's not something I am going to scream about to everyone.
I just meant by being informed by a retailer such as yourself that has purchased a very large number, it serves to inform him as to some of the reasons for XO reaching such high numbers. And your simple explanation of having already sold enough to pay for that order, further serves to inform him of the public interest in XO and Valiant. I applaud your efforts and in no way was suggesting you informed Rob of the deal you offered here.
Thanks, man. If you keep reading our conversation on twitter, it goes a lot further with me explaining that I had at least 40 people buy between 14 and over 100 copies of the book before it even came out. I am trying to explain to him that while he understands an Image customer or a Marvel/DC Customer, he does NOT understand a Valiant fan, which is a totally different animal, and you CAN'T understand it unless you ARE a Valiant Fan. I bought 10 copies of each issue in 1992, I tracked down every freaking Unity cover in every color and every silly pink variant in 9 pocket pages. I know something not many other retailers know.

Speculating on comics is clearly back.

Glad Valiant is doing good numbers. Wish there were 42,000 different readers getting these books, not 20,000 which is more likely.
RJRJR
http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Ross2 wrote:Are there really people who came into comics because of Liefeld?

I'm thinking more people left comics because of him. At the very least, certainly his actions have caused more heartache to his business partners.

He was one of the reasons that when was 14 years old that I tried titles like X-Force and Youngblood looking back I think part of the reason I liked his and the other Image founders (except for Marc Silvestri who I never did and I still don't like his work) was the stupid rebellious nature of youth.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

BugsySig wrote:
greg wrote:Image
The only thing that would make this more amazing is if he had cut off his feet.
There still aren't any feet in that picture however - lol
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

MarrowMan wrote:
greg wrote:I would guess that he honestly thinks Image was better than Valiant and that the fact Image survived and Valiant didn't is proof.

He can't believe Valiant was better then and that it could possibly be better now.
It's kind of sad, like those tryout kids on American Idol who won't believe how much they suck.
Peter David said that Rob Liefeld is the Ed Wood of comics. I'd say he's also the William Hung of comics
Peter David is the Shakespeare of Modern Comics :clap:

Damn right.

He also got two jokes out of Liefeld's hissy fit over Shatterstar and Rictor's relationship in X-Factor #200 and in the X-Factor: Nation X one-shot.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

Cyberstrike wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:
greg wrote:I would guess that he honestly thinks Image was better than Valiant and that the fact Image survived and Valiant didn't is proof.

He can't believe Valiant was better then and that it could possibly be better now.
It's kind of sad, like those tryout kids on American Idol who won't believe how much they suck.
Peter David said that Rob Liefeld is the Ed Wood of comics. I'd say he's also the William Hung of comics
Peter David is the Shakespeare of Modern Comics :clap:

Damn right.

He also got two jokes out of Liefeld's hissy fit over Shatterstar and Rictor's relationship in X-Factor #200 and in the X-Factor: Nation X one-shot.
I know, I been collecting X-Factor since David started his run, it's pure genius.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Paul Nolan wrote:Fabian is only credited Scripts in the issues. Which implies that the plotter (IE Liefeld) did everything but the text you find in the issues, which Fabian did.
Yeah, I think Rob has always done a good job of realizing his writing limitations and leaving the finer details that to others. Nicieza with X-Force and Eric Stephenson, Alan Moore and others with Youngblood & Supreme. I'm not a fan of Todd McFarlane's art, but I have to admit that his run on the adjectiveless Spider-man was his best work. Imagine if he had let someone who could actually right a coherent story help with the script?

The concept of Youngblood was way ahead of it's time when it came out. The whole idea of celebrity superheroes in the media and tabloids started there and is still being explored today and anyone can read the away team side of the Youngblood #1 flip book and see how it influenced The Authority. The concept for Youngblood was actually based on a pitch that DC rejected for Teen Titans, who I imagine felt pretty stupid after all was said and done.

Ross2

Post by Ross2 »

Paul Nolan wrote:

Fabian is only credited Scripts in the issues. Which implies that the plotter (IE Liefeld) did everything but the text you find in the issues, which Fabian did.
I thought Louise Simonson was the full-writer on New Mutants when Cable appeared? And Nicieza was the full-time writer when Deadpool appeared? Wasn't the "Liefeld plots/Nicieza scripts" later in X-Force?

Certainly as the artist, RL had a huge hand in creating them. But I am thinking that the writer has to have at least equal impact.

stp1503

Post by stp1503 »

Every once in a while I'll have spare time and go through my non Valiant comics. Every single time I run across a Liefeld book 2 things always happen.
#1-I always ask myself "Why do I own this book?"
#2-I always make the mistake of actually opening some of these books up and reading this garbage.

No comic books bring out the reaction in me like his books do. I can't believe that he's still able to have a job in the industry. Almost every character in his books is a rip off of a well known character in other peoples books. I swear that I remember reading one of his early books and there was more than 1 Wolverine clone in the exact same book. He copies even his own creations over and over! The first time I saw the poster advertising Youngblood the only thing I was thinking was why was Marvel allowing its characters to appear in another companies book. Shatterstar and Shaft are almost identical!

Rob Leifeld could never in his life hope or dream to create a universe so rich in storytelling and characters like the Valiant universe.

Ross2

Post by Ross2 »

I thought this was a funny thread about Deathmate. I especially find humor in the First poster's conclusion that "Deathmate definetly killed Valiant". Huh?

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?624 ... r-happened" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chainnball
banned on my iphone
banned on my iphone
Location: What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about??

Post by chainnball »

paradise wrote:Rob's comment was snarky but he's not a bad guy. Know the guy personally, and he's actually a cool guy, VERY passionate about the industry.

And if you look at the new Extreme relaunch, it's mostly fantastic stuff. He's let go of most of the "I am ROB" mentality and has let the new writers do their own thing. Joe Keatinge's Glory is FANTASTIC and you should all check it out. Prophet is AMAZING, one of my favorite reads right now.

People take Rob's internet comments to heart, but if you had received as much hate tweets as Rob does, you'd be snarky too. I have had to straighten a few idiots out in my time, specially when Rob is at my store doing a signing and they get out of hand.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

stp1503 wrote:Every once in a while I'll have spare time and go through my non Valiant comics. Every single time I run across a Liefeld book 2 things always happen.
#1-I always ask myself "Why do I own this book?"
#2-I always make the mistake of actually opening some of these books up and reading this garbage.

No comic books bring out the reaction in me like his books do. I can't believe that he's still able to have a job in the industry. Almost every character in his books is a rip off of a well known character in other peoples books. I swear that I remember reading one of his early books and there was more than 1 Wolverine clone in the exact same book. He copies even his own creations over and over! The first time I saw the poster advertising Youngblood the only thing I was thinking was why was Marvel allowing its characters to appear in another companies book. Shatterstar and Shaft are almost identical!

Rob Leifeld could never in his life hope or deán to create a universe so rich in storytelling and characters like the Valiant universe.
:thumb: my sentiments exactly
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Ross2 wrote:I thought this was a funny thread about Deathmate. I especially find humor in the First poster's conclusion that "Deathmate definetly killed Valiant". Huh?

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?624 ... r-happened" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Someone dissing Deathmate?