Very FRUSTRATED!!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Very FRUSTRATED!!!

Post by caniac »

Well off to the comic store I went for my lunch break to get my hands on XO. 30 mins each way. I get there and don't see any on the shelf so I ask the owner, "did you sell out of XO Manowar?" He was like huh? I said that it was released today. He looks at his sheet and says yeah it's in this box and just stares at me so I'm like okay can I get one. He looked at my like I was crazy. He said No, I need to get my subscribers out. I said that I'm here now just get it out of the box. Wouldn't do it. He said I can hold one for you. I'm like I took my whole lunch to come and get a comic that I have been waiting years on and you won't let me have it. I said don't worry about holding it for me, I will never be back here. I also said that VALIANT is releasing multiple titles and I would have been a monthly subscriber for all of them. So he says well I can set you up. I'm like are you serious, why would I want to do that, you have no idea about customer service. He said oh okay and I walk out in total amazement.

:? :? :?

:!: :!: :!:

The wait continues :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Last edited by caniac on Wed May 02, 2012 11:54:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan
Re: Very FRUSTRATED!!!

Post by MarrowMan »

caniac wrote:Well off to the comic store I went for my lunch break to get my hands on XO. 30 mins each way. I get there and don't see any on the shelf so I ask the owner, "did you sell out of XO Manowar?" He was like huh? I said that it was released today. He says yeah it's in this box and just stares at me so I'm like okay can I get one. He looked at my like I was crazy. He said No, I need to get my subscribers out. I said that I'm here now just get it out of the box. Wouldn't do it. He said I can hold one for you. I'm like I took my whole lunch to come and get a comic that I have been waiting years on and you won't let me have it. I said don't worry about holding it for me, I will never be back here. I also said that VALIANT is releasing multiple titles and I would have been a monthly subscriber for all of them. So he says well I can set you up. I'm like are you serious, why would I want to do that, you have no idea about customer service. He said oh okay and I walk out in total amazement.

The wait continues :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
facepalm

dude, suckage.

Sorry.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

That sucks bro. What a plug that dude is.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Typical LCS owner, not surprised one bit !

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

maraxusofkeld wrote:Typical LCS owner, not surprised one bit !
Sadly, this can be true.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

Wow... just wow. facepalm

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

What a jerk,he could have had allot of sales.His loss..Reminds me of a lcs i went to years ago.It went out of buisness
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

facepalm

Paul Nolan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Paul Nolan »

eeek...... the bloke sounds like he didn't handle it very well.

If he does the same as my comic shop he could have simply explained that he needed to count out the comics, check 'em off against the Diamond invoice to make sure they weren't shorted / had all the variants due etc. or such like.

There are ways to go about things without leaving a bad taste in the mouth.

MrBigFeathas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by MrBigFeathas »

I feel you. I now have to try my luck at the closest LCS to me. I have a subscription with scifigenre.com and I asked them about it today because I didn't see X-O added to my shipment. Sorry, we didn't order enough, none for you even if you added it to your sub as soon as you could. So, hopefully I can still find the regular and pullbox covers somewhere.
Last edited by MrBigFeathas on Wed May 02, 2012 12:52:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I'm not going to say that DCBS has never disappointed me but I can certainly say that DCBS has disappointed me alot less altogether than every LCS I have ever worked with or for.

That said, I still miss having a close relationship with an LCS, but for me the 90's are gone and whether I like it or not, we are entering a digital era anyway.
***Support your local farmers!***

etos45

Post by etos45 »

MrBigFeathas wrote:So, hopefully I can still find the regular and pullbox covers somewhere.
I suspect that if getting the comic on day of release isn't an issue, it should be pretty easy to come by around here. :wink:

orbitalshift
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by orbitalshift »

Where did you go, if I may ask?

Rufusharley
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!

Post by Rufusharley »

Elveen wrote:That sucks bro. What a plug that dude is.

Ditto

caniac

Post by caniac »

Book Mart in Atlantic Beach NC. I went in there 4 hrs after they opened. More than enough time, IMO, to sort their books (they are not that large).

Trenton Sy
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Trenton Sy »

Dude that is a horrible story.
If anyone is located outside of Philadelphia there is a great LCS called "Showcase Comics" right on Lancaster Ave - they have been around forever and are a staple out here. Great with pulls and know the industry well enough to have plenty of what is hot in stock - no problems getting Saga, Thief of Thieves, any of the early sell out new 52, X-O etc I have honestly never stopped in on a Wednesday where they didn't have at least 5 copies of an "instant sellout" book. Great guys and actually frequented by a lot of females so that says something about the lack of a creep factor.
"Life is one's oppurtunity to change that which aflicts them" ~ Dr. Doom

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

I owned my own retail establishment for 22 years and I'll tell you, you need to learn how to deal with a needy customer and make him happy. The guy might have like 25 people bugging him to open the boxes early, but when a new customer says he just drove 30 minutes specifically to your place of business and you didn't make him happy because of a technicality, well, good luck, cause someone is gonna compete with you someday and your gonna get your *SQUEE* handed to you.

Retail is retail, I don't care if your selling comic books or tires, bad customer service is a negative that is hard to overcome.
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Trenton Sy wrote:Dude that is a horrible story.
If anyone is located outside of Philadelphia there is a great LCS called "Showcase Comics" right on Lancaster Ave - they have been around forever and are a staple out here. Great with pulls and know the industry well enough to have plenty of what is hot in stock - no problems getting Saga, Thief of Thieves, any of the early sell out new 52, X-O etc I have honestly never stopped in on a Wednesday where they didn't have at least 5 copies of an "instant sellout" book. Great guys and actually frequented by a lot of females so that says something about the lack of a creep factor.
Yep, Showcase is a great store, they also have a location at the Granite Run Mall in Media, PA. A great store if you like back issues (not just recent stuff) and they also have a lot of bargain books. I don't get to either location regularly, but always spend a bunch of money when I go there.

MarrowMan
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

I sold comics from about 1987/88 to 1998/99.

Customers came hundreds of miles to see me, I never turned a single one away! Even if I didn't have what they wanted, I would suggest an alternative or promise to reorder or find what they wanted! Apparently the LCS owner of this shop is super rich and doesn't want people's money! What a Dingus!

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

went to the one local shop that is on the way between home and work. They had a space for X-O, but it was empty. I asked about it, and was told they were sold out. I asked how many copies they ordered, and the guy behind the counter mentioned they probably had about 7 or 8 copies on the shelf after they doled out the subscriber copies. Since this is a rinky dink shop in the middle of nowhere, I was surprised (and impressed) they ordered and sold that many in less than a day.

Savant

Post by Savant »

caniac wrote:Well off to the comic store I went for my lunch break to get my hands on XO. 30 mins each way. I get there and don't see any on the shelf so I ask the owner, "did you sell out of XO Manowar?" He was like huh? I said that it was released today. He looks at his sheet and says yeah it's in this box and just stares at me so I'm like okay can I get one. He looked at my like I was crazy. He said No, I need to get my subscribers out. I said that I'm here now just get it out of the box. Wouldn't do it. He said I can hold one for you. I'm like I took my whole lunch to come and get a comic that I have been waiting years on and you won't let me have it. I said don't worry about holding it for me, I will never be back here. I also said that VALIANT is releasing multiple titles and I would have been a monthly subscriber for all of them. So he says well I can set you up. I'm like are you serious, why would I want to do that, you have no idea about customer service. He said oh okay and I walk out in total amazement.

lol, what's hilarious is, after the wonderful customer service you were treated with, he assumed you would want to be a monthly subscriber with his store. That guy must be in his own world.......In more ways than one, if the store was open for 4 hours and he hadn't finished sorting new comics (Let alone opening the box with X-O).

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

I have to wait for my DCBS order...but I am going to a store this Saturday with my daughter for free comic book day. If they have a copy there, I will probably pick it up.

Chris

wokuya
Valiant fan since: the beginning
Favorite character: Shadowman

Post by wokuya »

Caniac, it might be a hike, but Memory Lane Comics off of Oleander in Wilmington is awesome! Stopped by last weekend and they had X-O posters in the front windows!

I only get to go by a few times a year but the owner, Jake, recognizes me every time. Just that speaks volumes (not issues!).

Good luck!

toddyboy
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by toddyboy »

Elveen wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:Typical LCS owner, not surprised one bit !
Sadly, this can be true.
have to say i'm not surprised either.

one time i stood at the counter of an lcs wanting to ask if they had a book in stock, right in front of the owner and a worker while they rambled on about geek nonsense. after several minutes, they never even acknowledged my presence, so i walked out and never went back.

also, whenever i walk into a new place i always look the owner in the eyes and say "hi, how's it going?" and 9 times out of 10 i get a blank stare back, no response. like wtf, am i speaking japanese? don't they understand plain *SQUEE* english? i guess i'll try klingon or wookie next time.

caniac

Post by caniac »

wokuya wrote:Caniac, it might be a hike, but Memory Lane Comics off of Oleander in Wilmington is awesome! Stopped by last weekend and they had X-O posters in the front windows!

I only get to go by a few times a year but the owner, Jake, recognizes me every time. Just that speaks volumes (not issues!).

Good luck!
I've been there a couple of times. Grad of UNCW but back then I was looking for back issues...they were always cool. Dang, that makes me want to go see some peeps that way...X-O in the window :)

I will go there next time I'm in Wilm.