Bloodshot Series

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Bloodshot Series

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

So, I have to admit. When I first was reading Bloodshot as it is coming out, I had no idea what was going on. I really wasn't caring for it much. However, I have re-read all the issues after learning of the Harbinger Wars, and I must say, it all makes much more sense to me, and it has climbed the ranks to become a favorite book of mine. so, I implore anyone else who felt that Bloodshot was over their head, or they didn't understand what was going on to re-read with this new knowledge, and I believe you will see how well this has all been pieced together. Hopefully, Harbinger Wars will really set the Valiant Universe on fire!
Oh, and I re-read A&A #4 again (still my favorite issue). They make reference to the fact that Archer is a Harbinger, or Psiot, or whatever we are calling them nowadays. Not sure if his parents "picked him up" from Project Rising Spirit, but they definitely elude to something along those lines. Could make for an A&A/ Bloodshot tie-in.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Bloodshot Series

Post by greg »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote: Oh, and I re-read A&A #4 again (still my favorite issue). They make reference to the fact that Archer is a Harbinger, or Psiot, or whatever we are calling them nowadays. Not sure if his parents "picked him up" from Project Rising Spirit, but they definitely elude to something along those lines. Could make for an A&A/ Bloodshot tie-in.
I'd guess all the "brothers and sisters" of the Archer family are going to be connected to psiots and possibly from "the nursery" of PRS.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Bloodshot was my favorite series up until the lame Bonesaw villain thing or whatever that was. Bloodshot in classic valiant was really bad IMO and I was very much enjoying EVERYTHING about the book until they threw in that 90s villain concept (and a lame one at that). That instantly turned me off and I haven't felt bad about not buying the book since then. They took something fresh and threw it back into the 90s.
ASM Crossover Home

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

400yrs wrote:Bloodshot was my favorite series up until the lame Bonesaw villain thing or whatever that was. Bloodshot in classic valiant was really bad IMO and I was very much enjoying EVERYTHING about the book until they threw in that 90s villain concept (and a lame one at that).
I completely agree. Through issues 1-4 Bloodshot was becoming my favorite series. Issues 5 and 6 were terrible. The concept was stupid. Issue 7 was better and I hope from here on out it gets back on track because as the first story shows the book can be really good.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

FormerReader wrote:
400yrs wrote:Bloodshot was my favorite series up until the lame Bonesaw villain thing or whatever that was. Bloodshot in classic valiant was really bad IMO and I was very much enjoying EVERYTHING about the book until they threw in that 90s villain concept (and a lame one at that).
I completely agree. Through issues 1-4 Bloodshot was becoming my favorite series. Issues 5 and 6 were terrible. The concept was stupid. Issue 7 was better and I hope from here on out it gets back on track because as the first story shows the book can be really good.
They were in 1 1/2 issues...and now half of them are dead. The rest will be dead by the end of the next issue, guaranteed. It's not like they will be part of the supporting cast. I don't get all the hate over it...I mean, Bloodshot himself is a cheesy 90s concept :?

Chainsaw are just cannon fodder that poses slightly more of a threat than generic PRS guards with machine guns and have had no negative impact on the story--which continues to be very good, IMHO.

My only complaint about the book is that Bloodshot ends up shirtless more than Matthew McConaughey.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

BugsySig wrote: They were in 1 1/2 issues...and now half of them are dead. The rest will be dead by the end of the next issue, guaranteed. It's not like they will be part of the supporting cast. I don't get all the hate over it...I mean, Bloodshot himself is a cheesy 90s concept :?
I don't hate it. It just really, really absolutely threw me out of the story. The thing is that yes, Bloodshot WAS a cheesy 90s concept. HOWEVER, this early version of Bloodshot transcended that big time moreso than any of the other VEI books. Then, they throw in this crapily thought out 90s knock-off group of villains?

I don't know if they really thought that Chainsaw was well thought out and well-designed or if it was meant to be a homage to the 90s, but either way, it took something that had moved beyond the 90s crap and threw it right back into that era which was sooooooo terrible.

I'd bet that orders on Bloodshot decrease here in the next few months simply because of that mistep.

BugsySig wrote:Chainsaw are just cannon fodder that poses slightly more of a threat than generic PRS guards with machine guns and have had no negative impact on the story--which continues to be very good, IMHO.
Yeah, but they were elevated beyond a generic PRS guard within the story which is the problem I had. They were focused on too much for a crappy villain.
ASM Crossover Home

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

400yrs wrote:
BugsySig wrote: They were in 1 1/2 issues...and now half of them are dead. The rest will be dead by the end of the next issue, guaranteed. It's not like they will be part of the supporting cast. I don't get all the hate over it...I mean, Bloodshot himself is a cheesy 90s concept :?
I don't hate it. It just really, really absolutely threw me out of the story. The thing is that yes, Bloodshot WAS a cheesy 90s concept. HOWEVER, this early version of Bloodshot transcended that big time moreso than any of the other VEI books. Then, they throw in this crapily thought out 90s knock-off group of villains?

I don't know if they really thought that Chainsaw was well thought out and well-designed or if it was meant to be a homage to the 90s, but either way, it took something that had moved beyond the 90s crap and threw it right back into that era which was sooooooo terrible.

I'd bet that orders on Bloodshot decrease here in the next few months simply because of that mistep.

BugsySig wrote:Chainsaw are just cannon fodder that poses slightly more of a threat than generic PRS guards with machine guns and have had no negative impact on the story--which continues to be very good, IMHO.
Yeah, but they were elevated beyond a generic PRS guard within the story which is the problem I had. They were focused on too much for a crappy villain.
Its just the biggest issue I keep hearing with them is the design. Bloodshot is an albino with a giant red circle on his chest...different strokes for different folks, I guess. I thought the disfigured look of Chainsaw worked as an insight into the base nature of PRS and how far they are willing to go in their experimentation just to produce these soldiers. So the one guy has a giant gun? XO has a blue and yellow suit of living armor that shoots lasers :?

Bubba
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: Sting

Post by Bubba »

A friend of mine on Facebook, Michael Sacal is claiming he created the chainsaw character.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

I loved that issue with him breaking into PRS headquarters ... And facing off against chainsaw.

As bugsy states - it's further insight to the lengths of how far PRS will go to create their super soldiers. I think they fit into the dark nature of this comic to a tee. I think they are great disposable freak villains for Bloodshot to have his way with. I loved the scene where he stick his elbow bone into the monsters neck. How can you not have LOVED that? One of the best scenes of the valiant relaunch.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

I can see what you're saying, but it didn't throw me like it did you. And yes, we were treated to an AWESOME kill by the half arm/ neck stab. That was EPIC! But yes, I did understand the relevance of them being there, and really continue to enjoy the book.

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
Bloodshot Series

Post by BloodShot »

"Bloodshot", huh?

Yeah, I guess maybe I'll have ta' give that series a try sometime :hm: ...
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

BloodShot wrote:"Bloodshot", huh?

Doood it's really really good you should check it out for sure :lol:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

BloodShot
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
Bloodshot Series

Post by BloodShot »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
BloodShot wrote:"Bloodshot", huh?

Doood it's really really good you should check it out for sure :lol:
Man, I'm just not convinced yet.

I know you're probably right. But I'm awfully busy still tryin' ta' finish the iconic space opera otherwise known as Star Watchers. It's soooooo awesome :P !
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Bubba wrote:A friend of mine on Facebook, Michael Sacal is claiming he created the chainsaw character.
:bigeyes:

really?

Was MOTA given credit in the book?

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
Bubba wrote:A friend of mine on Facebook, Michael Sacal is claiming he created the chainsaw character.

really?

I just bumped an old thread for you that has the info.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14

Post by David_Cody »

I didn't have any problems with the chainsaw issues. I thought that last Bloodshot where the entire issue was nothing but a back-up story was a snoozer. I'll keep reading it though as overall it's been an entertaining book.

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Bubba wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:

really?

I just bumped an old thread for you that has the info.
Thanks. I missed that thread.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

:thumb:

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

I was just rereading Busiek's run on Avengers. Then I noticed a Manuel Garcia doing art in betwen the Alan Davis and the Kieron Dwyer issues. Is this the same Garcia of Bloodshot? I can not quite make the connection from the art style alone.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I hate to say it, but I really dislike the Chainsaw team too.

In fact, I'm even going so far as to buy the Hairsine and Crain variant cover of Bloodshot this month even though I never bother with variant covers, because I just hate the cover that has the Chainsaw team on it.

I do understand what they're 'about', insofar as "this is how far PRS will go to create super soldiers" and I'm happy with that idea, but artistically there's almost nothing that I personally like about them, and their punctuation-free method of communication seriously, seriously annoys me. The way their 'casual comments' appear no different from their 'solider drill speak' really doesn't 'add' to their character at all and just serves to confuse readers into what type of 'people' these characters are, in my opinion.

I think, all in all, if any of the Valiant staff read these forums (and probably more specifically, this thread) then they may realise that they didn't *quite* hit the nail on the head here with these particular enemies, and will hopefully become more determined to come up with something a little better, or cooler, or more exciting, or whatever else, for the next baddy :) I for one wouldn't dream of dropping the series just because of this one little hiccupp, and will be looking forward to seeing what/who crops up as Bloodshot's next big nemesis after the Harbinger Wars :)

By the way, the arm-bone stab was awesome!

And personally, Bloodshot's topless image is the 'definitive' way that I think of him, so it's not really a problem for me. What I do really like is the way that he manages to die and come back to life at least once per issue. I think that's very funny. I haven't read the original comic series, but think it's funny to imagine the creative team sitting in a meeting going:

Director - "We have this old character called 'Bloodshot' who can move faster and is stronger than any human and who shoots guns and stuff... But I think he needs a superpower too. Any ideas guys?"
Someone else - "Oo! I know! DYING!" :clap:

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I may be in the minority on this - but I loved issues five and six. A great roll of a time. Active and re-introducing concepts from the 90's in a fresh form and forum. I thought they were fun.

On the other side, I thought the seventh issue was much worse.

I may be in the minority, but I will defend my opinion.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

kevinbastos wrote:I may be in the minority on this - but I loved issues five and six. A great roll of a time. Active and re-introducing concepts from the 90's in a fresh form and forum. I thought they were fun.

On the other side, I thought the seventh issue was much worse.

I may be in the minority, but I will defend my opinion.
I don't know why everyone hates them so badly. I have like every issue to Bloodshot so far. It tied for #2 with X-O in my opinion, and I see it edging X-O out if it continues to improve.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

kevinbastos wrote:I may be in the minority, but I will defend my opinion.
Dude, you're welcome to do so: Nobody can *ever* claim that someone else's opinion is wrong. So worry not ^_^

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Shadowman99 wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:I may be in the minority, but I will defend my opinion.
Dude, you're welcome to do so: Nobody can *ever* claim that someone else's opinion is wrong. So worry not ^_^
Any opinion that differs from mine is obviously wrong. :kidaround:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

For me personally Bloodshot has been the biggest surprise - in a good way. I probably had the lowest expectations for this series (wasn't a big fan of Bloodshot in VH1 and didn't even bother to pick up the Acclaim series) but right now it is competing with X-O as my favorite series for VEI. The art has been great IMHO (Garcia) and the story has kept my attention month in and month out. Cannot wait to read the next issue, and then see what happens in the Harbinger Wars for Bloodshot.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t