Bloodshot Series

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
Bloodshot Series

Post by BloodShot »

lorddunlow wrote:Any opinion that differs from mine is obviously wrong. :kidaround:
I completely disagree.

But don't worry; if I actually need your opinion, I'll just give it you :wink: .
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Re: Bloodshot Series

Post by xodacia81 »

BloodShot wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Any opinion that differs from mine is obviously wrong. :kidaround:
I completely disagree.

But don't worry; if I actually need your opinion, I'll just give it you :wink: .
You can't give it to him until I've approved what it will be in the first place :twisted:

BloodShot
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
Bloodshot Series

Post by BloodShot »

xodacia81 wrote:
BloodShot wrote:
I completely disagree.

You can't give it to him until I've approved what it will be in the first place :twisted:
Fair enough 8-) .
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

:thumb:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I'm getting uncomfortable with all of this talk of people "giving it to me".

I'm scared now.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I loved issue 5, and issue 6 had some sweet action.

I don't mind Chainsaw so much, especially since Bloodshot is basically handing their @$$es back to them on a platter.

Issue 7 was cool enough, but didn't feel as relevant to me as the rest of the issues. To me, it has been the slowest of the series.

Bloodshot leading an army of Psiot children he releases from PRS? How can you not like that!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Dr. Solar wrote:I loved issue 5, and issue 6 had some sweet action.

I don't mind Chainsaw so much, especially since Bloodshot is basically handing their @$$es back to them on a platter.

Issue 7 was cool enough, but didn't feel as relevant to me as the rest of the issues. To me, it has been the slowest of the series.

Bloodshot leading an army of Psiot children he releases from PRS? How can you not like that!
I'll say that I enjoyed this incarnation of Chainsaw, even if they do have a bit of a retro-90's feel ['Gunner' in particular, the rest aren't too bad]. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to them in #8 next week. Could they have been re-designed a little better? Maybe... but they work for what they are, as is.

I really liked #7 as well - it maybe didn't live up to the 'Harbinger Hunter' hype surrounding it, but thats more due to having an over active imagination on my part as to the many possibilities, and not a lot of info to go on from the teases at the time. It was a well written look at a piece of Bloodshots past, and I look forward to more of that to come.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

kevinbastos wrote:I may be in the minority on this - but I loved issues five and six. A great roll of a time. Active and re-introducing concepts from the 90's in a fresh form and forum. I thought they were fun.

On the other side, I thought the seventh issue was much worse.

I may be in the minority, but I will defend my opinion.
I'm with you.

I loved issues 5 & 6 too.

but I also really enjoyed 7.

Bloodshot is tied with Harbinger for my second favorite Valiant book.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

Man-of-The-Atom
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar Man of The Atom
Favorite writer: Kevin Vanhook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by Man-of-The-Atom »

Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:28:10 am A friend of mine on Facebook, Michael Sacal is claiming he created the chainsaw character.
So, to clarify; once upon a time Dinesh asked me to reimagine Chainsaw (a group of characters that appeared in VH 2 Bloodshot), for their inclusion in VEI.

Though the team did appear in the comic, I cannot take credit for THAT iteration. I don't recall off-hand how much or how little what appeared in the comic resembles what I came up with. It was probably nothing at all.

I did get authorization from Dinesh to make this public, which I have.

Likewise, I got permission to take credit for two ideas of mine making it to print in the first VEI issues of X-O Manowar and Archer & Armstrong.

In the latter, I suggested that Mary-Maria give Archer his journal. As for the former, it may have been one thing of significance (though in all likelihood that was already in play at VEI) or just the panel when Aric puts a piece of broken sword in his mouth when the Vine aliens capture him.
Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be...

Man-of-The-Atom

Blood of Heroes wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:58:15 pm
Bubba wrote:A friend of mine on Facebook, Michael Sacal is claiming he created the chainsaw character.
:bigeyes:

really?

Was MOTA given credit in the book?
No, because of what was stated before.

My name does appear in two VALIANT comics, though; one was an anniversary issue that listed everyone ever involved with VALIANT and the other was the FCBD 2014 VALIANT Universe Handbook, where I'm given "Special thanks" in the credits page.
Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be...

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:21:29 pm So, to clarify; once upon a time Dinesh asked me to reimagine Chainsaw (a group of characters that appeared in VH 2 Bloodshot), for their inclusion in VEI.

Though the team did appear in the comic, I cannot take credit for THAT iteration. I don't recall off-hand how much or how little what appeared in the comic resembles what I came up with. It was probably nothing at all.

Likewise, I got permission to take credit for two ideas of mine making it to print in the first VEI issues of X-O Manowar and Archer & Armstrong.

In the latter, I suggested that Mary-Maria give Archer his journal. As for the former, it may have been one thing of significance (though in all likelihood that was already in play at VEI) or just the panel when Aric puts a piece of broken sword in his mouth when the Vine aliens capture him.
That's awesome. I still have all the VH2 Bloodshot issues but haven't read them in ages. I remember a lot of people on here really liking it. That sounds really fun though, I'd like to give that a reread.

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:15:08 pm
Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:21:29 pm So, to clarify; once upon a time Dinesh asked me to reimagine Chainsaw (a group of characters that appeared in VH 2 Bloodshot), for their inclusion in VEI.

That's awesome. I still have all the VH2 Bloodshot issues but haven't read them in ages. I remember a lot of people on here really liking it. That sounds really fun though, I'd like to give that a reread.
VH 2 Bloodshot was probably the best VH 2 series.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:20:32 pmVH 2 Bloodshot was probably the best VH 2 series.
Wow. Could not disagree more. It was down there with Ninjak and Eternal Warriors as the worst VH2 series for me.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Man-of-The-Atom

SwiftMann wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:25:36 pm
Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:20:32 pmVH 2 Bloodshot was probably the best VH 2 series.
Wow. Could not disagree more. It was down there with Ninjak and Eternal Warriors as the worst VH2 series for me.
How come?

What I like is that it could have built up from where the original left off, with the "reveal" that Angelo Mortalli was an undercover agent all along.

Sure, some things were absurd, like Simon Oreck, and some things made it impossible to be considered a true sequel, such as the revised origin. But all in all, it could have worked as part of VH 1 far better than most of the rest.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

What were your favorites? Q&W, Shadowman? I'm blanking, it's been forever since I read those.

I did like Ninjak at the time. Not because it fit in with VALIANT at all, I guess I just have a soft spot for the early Spider-Man type stories.

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

I did not like VH2 Ninjak, X-O or anything with the Immortal Brothers. Oh, and the Harbinger one-shot was not great. I had the Bloodshots out a couple years back to get signed by Sal and I remember liking the series. I feel like I'd give a nod to Turok as I did like a lot of that when it came out but I've not re-read any Valiant Turok in many years.

Man-of-The-Atom

Joshua wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:50:09 am I did not like VH2 Ninjak, X-O or anything with the Immortal Brothers. Oh, and the Harbinger one-shot was not great. I had the Bloodshots out a couple years back to get signed by Sal and I remember liking the series. I feel like I'd give a nod to Turok as I did like a lot of that when it came out but I've not re-read any Valiant Turok in many years.
Agreed.

Ninjak re-imagined as Spider-Man and X-O Manowar re-imagined as Flash did not work at all. What didn't help is that given the writers involved (Astro City Busiek and Kingdom Come Waid) expectations were high.

It was like they just recycled what they were doing with Spider-Man and Flash expecting to get paid twice for doing the same thing.

Just imagine what might have been had Busiek done VALIANT in the style of Astro City. It would have been the perfect approach.

What also didn't help were jabs like this one by Busiek himself. It showed how little faith there was in the success of VH 2.

As for Eternal Warriors, yeah, it went terribly off the rails, turning into a bad pastiche of Highlander.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Joshua wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:50:09 am I did not like VH2 Ninjak, X-O or anything with the Immortal Brothers. Oh, and the Harbinger one-shot was not great. I had the Bloodshots out a couple years back to get signed by Sal and I remember liking the series. I feel like I'd give a nod to Turok as I did like a lot of that when it came out but I've not re-read any Valiant Turok in many years.
It's weird that there wasn't an ongoing Turok series, just some one-shots and a mini series. The whole Turok being a lineage hero thing actually isn't a bad idea, better than most of the Turok reboots we've had.
Last edited by Ryan on Sun May 15, 2022 3:31:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:56:31 pm Agreed.

Ninjak re-imagined as Spider-Man and X-O Manowar re-imagined as Flash did not work at all. What didn't help is that given the writers involved (Astro City Busiek and Kingdom Come Waid) expectations were high.

It was like they just recycled what they were doing with Spider-Man and Flash expecting to get paid twice for doing the same thing.

Just imagine what might have been had Busiek done VALIANT in the style of Astro City. It would have been the perfect approach.

What also didn't help were jabs like this one by Busiek himself. It showed how little faith there was in the success of VH 2.

As for Eternal Warriors, yeah, it went terribly off the rails, turning into a bad pastiche of Highlander.
Never seen that Spawn page lol. It's really bothered me since Birthquake when big name creators come to VALIANT and treat it like a 3rd string place to phone it in and save their best stuff for the Big 2 or Image.

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:15:17 pm
It's weird that there wasn't an ongoing Turok series, just some one-shots and a mini series. The whole Turok being a lineage hero thing actually isn't a bad idea, better than most of the Turok reboots we've had.
There was a Turok ongoing, but it only lasted four issues that ended on a cliffhanger before VH 2 imploded.

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:21:43 pm
Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:56:31 pm Agreed.

Never seen that Spawn page lol. It's really bothered me since Birthquake when big name creators come to VALIANT and treat it like a 3rd string place to phone it in and save their best stuff for the Big 2 or Image.
It was from an Image crossover called Shattered Image from when Top Cow split off from the Image Universe.

And yeah. We've seen creators to that sort of thing at other publishers like Wildstorm too, such as like when Morrison didn't really care that much about the WildC.A.T.S reboot.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:34:58 pm There was a Turok ongoing, but it only lasted four issues that ended on a cliffhanger before VH 2 imploded.
I forgot that was ongoing. Seems like VH2 only started making Turok comics after they did the video game.
Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:36:10 pm It was from an Image crossover called Shattered Image from when Top Cow split off from the Image Universe.

And yeah. We've seen creators to that sort of thing at other publishers like Wildstorm too, such as like when Morrison didn't really care that much about the WildC.A.T.S reboot.
Good that VALIANT isn't alone at least. I do think the VALIANT characters aren't very respected in industry circles, and that's partly why there's even more of a tendency to ignore or just skim what has come before. Just my feeling though.

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:09:38 pm I forgot that was ongoing. Seems like VH2 only started making Turok comics after they did the video game.
Yeah.
Ryan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:09:38 pm Good that VALIANT isn't alone at least. I do think the VALIANT characters aren't very respected in industry circles, and that's partly why there's even more of a tendency to ignore or just skim what has come before. Just my feeling though.
No doubt.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:35:26 pm
How come?

What I like is that it could have built up from where the original left off, with the "reveal" that Angelo Mortalli was an undercover agent all along.

Sure, some things were absurd, like Simon Oreck, and some things made it impossible to be considered a true sequel, such as the revised origin. But all in all, it could have worked as part of VH 1 far better than most of the rest.
Copying and pasting from my re-read post a couple years ago... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53143

Bloodshot – I read a couple issues of this a long time ago. Didn’t like it. Still don’t. It’s more of an approach problem* than an actual story problem. Although the story doesn’t seem terribly different than the original and (despite appearances by X-O and Shadowman) feels like it’s happening in its own universe.

*Babbling narrative boxes of random words attempting to sound literate – from #12: ”What’s left mewls flops jabbers in a swamp of tears agony excrement until the Triad’s offer. Let us help. Remake rebuild faster stronger better: the sins of Steve Austin.” WTF?!?
Last edited by SwiftMann on Mon May 16, 2022 9:31:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Ryan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:04:22 pm
What were your favorites? Q&W, Shadowman? I'm blanking, it's been forever since I read those.

I did like Ninjak at the time. Not because it fit in with VALIANT at all, I guess I just have a soft spot for the early Spider-Man type stories.
Q&W for sure. And, to my surprise, most of the other new concepts like Troublemakers, which was the emotional spine of VH2, and Trinity Angels, which was absurdist fun.

As for the legacy characters, I think they were getting somewhere good with Turok, but started far too late. Magnus, X-O, Shadowman, Solar, and Bloodshot were all various levels of meh for me.