Underrated Scarcity in some VEI's 1:50s

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: Underrated Scarcity in some VEI's 1:50s

Post by kjjohanson »

Ramses818 wrote:Right now there is no accepted such guides. Soch on collect what you like and as word of mouth spreads sit back and reap the benifits when the rest catch on :wink:
It seems like Bleeding Cool is trying to be the new Wizard. I flipped through a copy in the store the other day, and there was a price guide section focusing on recent Indies that have been experiencing (in their words) the "Walking Dead effect"; that is, books that are commanding much higher price on the secondary market. I remember seeing Über and Nowhere Men in there, as well as some other, but it doesn't appear that eBay results are showing anything near what BC is listing (unless the price list was including only the highest price that books have sold for).
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

slimydog
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by slimydog »

From what I've heard from a couple of local retailers here is that stores, who are associated with Bleeding Cool (maybe listed in the issues), are providing their price and sales figures as a litmus for secondary market values. I don't think that eBay is being taken into consideration.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I overheard a dealer at a con, who recorded sold prices for Overstreet, tell his assistant to record the listed sales price for Overstreet, and not the actual sales price. The guy talked down a book listed at $400 to $150. I can't recall the dealer, but he was one of the NYC regular s.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

slimydog wrote:From what I've heard from a couple of local retailers here is that stores, who are associated with Bleeding Cool (maybe listed in the issues), are providing their price and sales figures as a litmus for secondary market values. I don't think that eBay is being taken into consideration.

That is a shame. Ebay IS the price guide that matters.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:I overheard a dealer at a con, who recorded sold prices for Overstreet, tell his assistant to record the listed sales price for Overstreet, and not the actual sales price. The guy talked down a book listed at $400 to $150. I can't recall the dealer, but he was one of the NYC regular s.
If this is a widespread practice then Overstreet is useless. And unfortunately it's in a dealer's best interest to do this, if they're sitting on a stock of back issues.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

kjjohanson wrote:
nycjadie wrote:I overheard a dealer at a con, who recorded sold prices for Overstreet, tell his assistant to record the listed sales price for Overstreet, and not the actual sales price. The guy talked down a book listed at $400 to $150. I can't recall the dealer, but he was one of the NYC regular s.
If this is a widespread practice then Overstreet is useless. And unfortunately it's in a dealer's best interest to do this, if they're sitting on a stock of back issues.
But any buyer with a brain can log onto ebay and see what something is selling at...

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

GGSAE wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
But any buyer with a brain can log onto ebay and see what something is selling at...
...and think that anyone offering to pay less than CGC 9.6 price for a VF- raw copy is trying to cheat them.

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

GGSAE wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

with the advent of smart phones you can now look it up right in front of them . . .

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Elveen wrote:
slimydog wrote:From what I've heard from a couple of local retailers here is that stores, who are associated with Bleeding Cool (maybe listed in the issues), are providing their price and sales figures as a litmus for secondary market values. I don't think that eBay is being taken into consideration.

Good post.

My father always said it is only worth the money people are prepared to pay.

Like houses, the bank nominates what it thinks your house is worth, you have your opinion, so does the real estate agent, and the buyer has theirs. But what does it actually sell for?
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

siren3-4 wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

with the advent of smart phones you can now look it up right in front of them . . .
So can the dealer!
How many dealers know the rarity of late acclaim issues. If you go through boxes and pick out 10 armorines vol2 issue 4. They may think, hang on ~ why take 10 of an issue?
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Phantom wrote:My father always said it is only worth the money people are prepared to pay.

Like houses, the bank nominates what it thinks your house is worth, you have your opinion, so does the real estate agent, and the buyer has theirs. But what does it actually sell for?
Back when I was a mortgage broker, I'd have to tell people that all the time: It's worth what someone will give you and not a penny more; I don't care what your appraiser buddy says. A thing is valued by what someone is willing to pay and everything else is hogwash.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

jmatt wrote:
Phantom wrote:My father always said it is only worth the money people are prepared to pay.

Back when I was a mortgage broker, I'd have to tell people that all the time: It's worth what someone will give you and not a penny more; I don't care what your appraiser buddy says. A thing is valued by what someone is willing to pay and everything else is hogwash.
Not just what someone is willing to pay - but also what you will take. My comics might be worth XXX dollars. But if I never sell them...
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Elveen wrote:

:high-five:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

FormerReader wrote:
Elveen wrote:

:high-five:
Though I'm sure it's what Elveen meant, we should probably clarify...

"Ebay SOLD ITEMS are the price guide that matters."

Unsold items aren't telling us anything except what is overpriced.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Phantom wrote:
siren3-4 wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

So can the dealer!
How many dealers know the rarity of late acclaim issues. If you go through boxes and pick out 10 armorines vol2 issue 4. They may think, hang on ~ why take 10 of an issue?
Lol, I don't think anyone's found a stack of 10 of those! If you do, you cover your tracks and buy the rest of the acclaims....