The VEI/Dynamite Conspiracy

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

krylox
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
The VEI/Dynamite Conspiracy

Post by krylox »

ok guys. call me crazy, but i think i got it all figured out.

excuse my english, i'm just too excited to be all too careful about it ;)

question 1: why on earth would dynamite bring back those characters who just failed to hold up in the market with dark horse, even when written by the man who's responsible for their biggest success?

question 2: why attach two of vei's most prominent writers to those characters?

question 3: if we're assuming that dynamite wants to compete with vei's successs in reviving the valiant characters, why would said writers kind of "betray" the company who has this success in the first place and therefore endanger their relationship with vei? or putting it another way: do you really think vei didn't know anything about it or couldn't just have said: no way, guys?

dynamite isn't in this for the long run. they very rarely are. they just have rather short runs for their licesensed characters. vei on the other hand, doesn't have the financial backup to buy those characters for good. not yet.

that's why they got it all panned out: dynamite revives the characters with top notch creative teams, bringing them back into the market. one or two years laters they do a big unity-like crossover and have the two universes cross. after the crossover, vei announces that they 1. just sold the film rights for shadowman and harbinger for big figures. also... they just acquired the rights for the gold key characters and reboot the series under the vei banner.

everybody wins.

really, i wouldn't even be surprised if vei uses dynamite as a trojan horse for re-introducing those beloved characters into the market. and by putting two of their most trusted writers on them, they also kind of influence how those charaters will develop until they regain them for good.

think about it.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart
Re: The VEI/Dynamite Conspiracy

Post by MoonChild »

Warren says no crossover in the works. Via twitter last night
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

krylox

Post by krylox »

MoonChild wrote:Warren says no crossover in the works. Via twitter last night
of course he does. that's why it's a conspiracy ;)

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Krylox .. you are NOT crazy - I actually had the same thoughts

Maybe VEI and Dynamite are sort of thinking this might be a possibility down the line ... but they won't show that hand yet.

there is also the possibility that i am crazy AND you are crazy and because we are BOTH crazy we don't recognize the fact that we are thinking crazy things :hm:
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I posted a similar thought with regard to VEI in one of the other threads. I don't think you are crazy at all.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

The more I think about it...I just don't know. The key is the introduction of 4001, Unity and Pak/Van Lente. Let's ponder...

Was the 4001 introduction planned to coincide with the Gold Key Magnus revival at Dynamite? Or was it a preemptive move?

If Erica Pierce does appear in Unity, could her and Solar become "Deathmates" that join the universes together eventually?

Are FVL and Greg Pak double agents or co-conspirators?

Discuss amongst yourselves...
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

krylox wrote: that's why they got it all panned out: dynamite revives the characters with top notch creative teams, bringing them back into the market. one or two years laters they do a big unity-like crossover and have the two universes cross. after the crossover, vei announces that they 1. just sold the film rights for shadowman and harbinger for big figures. also... they just acquired the rights for the gold key characters and reboot the series under the vei banner.

everybody wins.
:hm:

:D

Deathmate 2!

:headbang:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

BugsySig wrote: If Erica Pierce does appear in Unity, could her and Solar become "Deathmates" that join the universes together eventually?
:o

:high-five:

Deathmate 2: Electric Boogaloo!

:banana:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
BugsySig wrote: If Erica Pierce does appear in Unity, could her and Solar become "Deathmates" that join the universes together eventually?

It...must...happen... :twisted:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Deathmate 2: The Secret of the Ooze (Grey goo?)

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:

I'm already warming up for the dance floor!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

Hrrrm. I'm not ready to rock down to Electric Avenue.

It's my understanding that the license allows them to use the characters, but they cannot use elements of the characters as they written in the original Valiant era. In other words, same characters but unique characteristics and storylines. So no Erica, or the Lost Land, etc.

Also, rumor has it that Dynamite is full of D-bags.

Valiant has had one of the most successful relaunches that I can think of. Dynamite is trying to cash in on this, and they are clearly mimicking Valiant's business plan (timed monthly launches), style (Valiant's freelancer writers and artists - boy does that Sears image pay homage or what), and are no doubt hoping to ride their coattails and try to get a crossover. I'm sure we will see other companies attempt to mimic Valiant's approach. We've already seen them copy ideas like character sketch covers. It's an annoying form of flattery.

It is of my opinion that Valiant shouldn't crossover with anyone. Their work stands on it's own, and I'd hate to see them have to deal with potential timeline problems like they did with Image.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:

I'm already warming up for the dance floor!

PSN- gorakthebunny

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

pixierosa wrote:Hrrrm. I'm not ready to rock down to Electric Avenue.

It's my understanding that the license allows them to use the characters, but they cannot use elements of the characters as they written in the original Valiant era. In other words, same characters but unique characteristics and storylines. So no Erica, or the Lost Land, etc.

Valiant has had one of the most successful relaunches that I can think of. Dynamite is trying to cash in on this, and they are clearly mimicking Valiant's business plan (timed monthly launches), style (Valiant's freelancer writers and artists - boy does that Sears image pay homage or what), and are no doubt hoping to ride their coattails and try to get a crossover. I'm sure we will see other companies attempt to mimic Valiant's approach. We've already seen them copy ideas like character sketch covers. It's an annoying form of flattery.

It is of my opinion that Valiant shouldn't crossover with anyone. Their work stands on it's own, and I'd hate to see them have to deal with potential timeline problems like they did with Image.
I'll second Pixie here. Valiant hasn't had a late monthly book yet. Why roll the dice on teaming up with the same D-bag that tried to strong arm VEI into a publishing deal by registering the trademarks while the intellectual properties were being auctioned at bankruptcy? I don't think Fred, Dino, Warren or the rest of the leadership want to go there.

Just speculating. I don't have any inside info, but I heard Fred's almost angry tone when he answered the GK 3 question at HeroesCon with a resounding "Our universe is stronger WITHOUT those three characters"
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I'll give you this part of your conspiriacy:
krylox wrote:dynamite isn't in this for the long run. they very rarely are. they just have rather short runs for their licesensed characters. vei on the other hand, doesn't have the financial backup to buy those characters for good. not yet.

that's why they got it all panned out: dynamite revives the characters with top notch creative teams, bringing them back into the market. one or two years later
... after their short term titles have failed, they'll have made some money and maybe jacked up any potential price VEI would have to pay to Gold Key (or whomever owns the rights) if the ever DID want to actually buy these characters rights.

I'm with those who are fine with VEI never again touching these characters (unless it's to reprint previous VH1 stuff). Their current roster and universe are fine and dandy without the GK3. I'm really excited to see what the future is going to look like in 4001 without the Magnus backstory as the assumed background.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Carson wrote:
pixierosa wrote:Hrrrm. I'm not ready to rock down to Electric Avenue.

Fred answered with a resounding "Our universe is stronger WITHOUT those three characters"
BINGO!!!!

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the1captain
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by the1captain »

Interesting discussion. I wasn't aware of this history between Dynamite and Valiant. I recently started trying out some dynamite books. Some good some not. I try to not allow the behind the scenes business interefere with my enjoyment of a book. For me it comes down to the book. Not the company that puts out said book. The exception is Valiant. They have built up enough good will with me that I will try anything they put out.

On another note, those that question the "moral" issues regarding creators working at Valiant and Dynamite at the same time. Really? Who cares? I love comics. But it's still just comics. Relax.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

the1captain wrote:
On another note, those that question the "moral" issues regarding creators working at Valiant and Dynamite at the same time. Really? Who cares? I love comics. But it's still just comics. Relax.
I'm relaxed, but I'd hate to have anything interfere with Valiant's progress. So I'm careful where I spend my support/money. I like tons of comics, but I'm can only buy so much.
Enjoy
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

Carson

Post by Carson »

http://youtu.be/aLGbXHc-Ce0?t=35s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson

Post by Carson »

doodlebird wrote:
the1captain wrote:
I'm relaxed, but I'd hate to have anything interfere with Valiant's progress. So I'm careful where I spend my support/money. I like tons of comics, but I'm can only buy so much.
Enjoy
+1. I'm gonna vote for Valiant with my limited comic budget. The above video link is a joke in response to being told to relax. :P :thumb:

the1captain

Post by the1captain »

doodlebird wrote:
the1captain wrote:
Enjoy
:thumb:

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Deathmate 3: The Search for Deathmate 2

:headbang:

PSN- gorakthebunny

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

krylox wrote:ok guys. call me crazy, but i think i got it all figured out.

question 1: why on earth would dynamite bring back those characters who just failed to hold up in the market with dark horse, even when written by the man who's responsible for their biggest success?

question 2: why attach two of vei's most prominent writers to those characters?

question 3: if we're assuming that dynamite wants to compete with vei's successs in reviving the valiant characters, why would said writers kind of "betray" the company who has this success in the first place and therefore endanger their relationship with vei? or putting it another way: do you really think vei didn't know anything about it or couldn't just have said: no way, guys?

dynamite isn't in this for the long run. they very rarely are. they just have rather short runs for their licesensed characters. vei on the other hand, doesn't have the financial backup to buy those characters for good. not yet.

that's why they got it all panned out: dynamite revives the characters with top notch creative teams, bringing them back into the market. one or two years laters they do a big unity-like crossover and have the two universes cross. after the crossover, vei announces that they 1. just sold the film rights for shadowman and harbinger for big figures. also... they just acquired the rights for the gold key characters and reboot the series under the vei banner.

everybody wins.

really, i wouldn't even be surprised if vei uses dynamite as a trojan horse for re-introducing those beloved characters into the market. and by putting two of their most trusted writers on them, they also kind of influence how those charaters will develop until they regain them for good.

think about it.

I guess I'll try to address this, IMHO of course.

Q1. They think VEI really wants these properties and will pay to get them is all I can think.
Q2. Money talks.
Q3. See answer to question 2.

As far as your other thoughts, VEI has stated time and time again they are going to spend their resources, both from a creative standpoint and a financial on the IP's they fully own. I don't think they have any interest in "renting" these characters, although, they might be interested in "buying" them, but right now, I think they've got enough on their plate. Also, I don't think VEI or anyone else in the industry is too worried about any kind of competition from VI- oh, I mean Dynamite, although I am sure they are watching their back.
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.

NapoleonBlownapart
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: May 2012
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite title: Magnus, Robot Fighter (2010)

Post by NapoleonBlownapart »

ok guys. call me crazy, but i think i got it all figured out.

krylox wrote:question 1: why on earth would dynamite bring back those characters who just failed to hold up in the market with dark horse, even when written by the man who's responsible for their biggest success?
Same reason that DC can reboot the superman movies in 2005 and 2013 and Marvel can reboot the Hulk movies in 2003 and 2008. They've been hugely successful twice in the past; one failed reboot doesn't mean that their time is over, it just means that the reboot wasn't executed properly. Plus, Dynamite's been pretty successful in resurrecting pulp heroes lately; maybe they can repeat the success with Gold Key?

krylox wrote:question 2: why attach two of vei's most prominent writers to those characters?
Because they know who their audience is.
krylox wrote:question 3: if we're assuming that dynamite wants to compete with vei's successs in reviving the valiant characters, why would said writers kind of "betray" the company who has this success in the first place and therefore endanger their relationship with vei? or putting it another way: do you really think vei didn't know anything about it or couldn't just have said: no way, guys?
The same reason that Venditti and Pak are working on Green Lantern and Superman respectively, and the same reason that oodles of DC and Marvel creators have successful creator-owned comics published by Image. They don't have an exclusive contract, they can work on whatever they want.
krylox wrote:dynamite isn't in this for the long run. they very rarely are. they just have rather short runs for their licesensed characters. vei on the other hand, doesn't have the financial backup to buy those characters for good. not yet.

everybody wins.

think about it.
Not happening.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

krylox wrote:vei announces that they 1. just sold the film rights for shadowman and harbinger for big figures. also... they just acquired the rights for the gold key characters and reboot the series under the vei banner.
I doubt very much that Dynamite has the right to transfer the licensing rights to another company.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.