The @ValiantPodcast Thread

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: The @ValiantPodcast Thread

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Enjoyed the James Asmus interview in episode 5, he's an interesting guy. Don't know anything about the new artist on the 3rd arc of Q&W but hopefully he can complement Asmus' writing with the visual side.

Roll on episode 6! :thumb:

Chris Campbell
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Chris Campbell »

Episode 6 of the Valiant Podcast is now available! We talk Eternal Warrior and announce 2 new contest giveaways. Available as always on iTunes, Stitcher radio or direct from the Taylor Network site.

Thanks for listening!

http://thetaylornetworkofpodcasts.com/2 ... l-warrior/
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Right on! Will be listening soon.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Listened to it today while walking to one of my LCS's, good stuff :thumb:

for the contest do the questions have to be Valiant related?
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:Listened to it today while walking to one of my LCS's, good stuff :thumb:

Thanks Mark! We imagined they'd be Valiant-related. We were really happy to get these giveaways. I'm excited.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Chris Campbell wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:Listened to it today while walking to one of my LCS's, good stuff :thumb:

Thanks Mark! We imagined they'd be Valiant-related. We were really happy to get these giveaways. I'm excited.
I kinda figured that I was just kidding. So don't worry I won't send any questions about Galactus' penis or anything like that :lol:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Enjoyed episode 6, Mike made a great contribution to the show. I'm curious (and impressed) about 200 comics a month habit! Next time he's on ask him:

1) how many hrs per day he reads?
2) how does he track of that many stories?
3) Where does he store all his comics (or does he use digital)?

Interesting discussion on EW. I like Hairsine's art but I agree that some panels can be a little odd.

Look forward to episode 7! :thumb:

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Enjoyed episode 6, Mike made a great contribution to the show. I'm curious (and impressed) about 200 comics a month habit! Next time he's on ask him:

Interesting discussion on EW. I like Hairsine's art but I agree that some panels can be a little odd.

Thanks! Mike was always supposed to be our 3rd host, but he had a hearing issue pop up. We're hoping he comes back often. We've both been good friends with Mike so I can tell you some of the answers :). But it is fun listening to him talk about his collection.

He uses Comicbase and a scanner to track his boxes. Everything is stored in boxes in his house. And he really does read constantly.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chris Campbell wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Enjoyed episode 6, Mike made a great contribution to the show. I'm curious (and impressed) about 200 comics a month habit! Next time he's on ask him:

Thanks! Mike was always supposed to be our 3rd host, but he had a hearing issue pop up. We're hoping he comes back often. We've both been good friends with Mike so I can tell you some of the answers :). But it is fun listening to him talk about his collection.

He uses Comicbase and a scanner to track his boxes. Everything is stored in boxes in his house. And he really does read constantly.
If he remembers the detail of all his books the way he know the detail of VEI books then he must have some kind of super brain! Psiot capabilities perhaps? :P Anyway, he was a great addition!

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Great episode really on depth look at EW, the podcast is even better with 3 guys.

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Just a reminder that we're giving away BOTH deluxe hardcovers at the end of the month. Courtesy of Valiant. Details in episode 6, but it's as easy as sending an email to ValiantPodcast@gmail.com with your best listener question(s) you can come up with. Deadline is 1/31/14 at midnight. Good luck and thanks for listening.

Chris

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Episode 7 is now available on iTunes, stitcher and direct download. Darrell and I finish off our talk with Mike Myers about Archer and Armstrog and Bloodshot. Also, the listener question contest to win one of 2 Valiant deluxe hardcovers is still running through the end of January. The podcast's email is Valiantpodcast@gmail.com. Thanks for listening!

http://thetaylornetworkofpodcasts.com/2 ... h-history/

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Enjoyed episode 7. Nice little chat about trading cards at the end, not something I'm into personally but the $60 price tag (for 9 cards?!) versus the possible demand was interesting.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Great discussion on the books, I'm a big HARD Corps fan so that was great.

I agree with high end collectible BS, how about a nice $10 poster or something?

Darrell's comment was spot on for $60 a pack it would take top shelf artist (Nord, Suayan, Henry, Luppachino, Zircher etc.) original cards to go for that and I'm sure that would be undoable. I'd rather have the artists working on the books than cards and such.

That said there may be a space for this but $60 is way off on the price point IMO.

If I was VEI I wouldn't concentrate on exclusive product for dyed in the wool fans, I would rather cool looking relatively inexpensive merchandise to build the fan base.

But not this-

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Thanks. There is definitely 2 different markets - the hardcore fan and the casual fan. I think a line of the Funko Pop vinyl figures for like $15 a pop would be great.

comicm
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor-Smith

Post by comicm »

Glad you liked episode 6 it was a lot of fun. I thought I would answer your questions.

1) Most of my reading is done during the weekend because of my work load during the week. I read probably about 14 hours on the weekend and maybe 5 hours during the week.
2) :) I am getting old and don't remember as much as I used to but it is easier to remember things that I love. Still I read a lot so I am not a Valiant expert and will not always remember all the names or events in detail. But I read roughly about 50 comics a week from all kinds of publishers.

3) House in Mylar/Board and Drawer boxes. The database I use is what Chris mentioned and is ComicBase which is the best there is but does have a early subscription fee but it is amazing and well worth the cost for large collections.

Thanks for listening.

Mike M.

comicm
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor-Smith

Post by comicm »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Enjoyed episode 7. Nice little chat about trading cards at the end, not something I'm into personally but the $60 price tag (for 9 cards?!) versus the possible demand was interesting.
I would love to add the cards to my Unity Card binder but $60 is too much for the amount of cards you get. Even if you get a sketch card.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

comicm wrote:

Glad you liked episode 6 it was a lot of fun. I thought I would answer your questions.

1) Most of my reading is done during the weekend because of my work load during the week. I read probably about 14 hours on the weekend and maybe 5 hours during the week.
2) :) I am getting old and don't remember as much as I used to but it is easier to remember things that I love. Still I read a lot so I am not a Valiant expert and will not always remember all the names or events in detail. But I read roughly about 50 comics a week from all kinds of publishers.

3) House in Mylar/Board and Drawer boxes. The database I use is what Chris mentioned and is ComicBase which is the best there is but does have a early subscription fee but it is amazing and well worth the cost for large collections.

Thanks for listening.

Mike M.
Cheers Mike, can't be many people (if anyone) can beat that level of reading. Glad you can contribute to the podcast, hopefully you'll be a regular. :thumb:

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
comicm wrote:

Thanks for listening.

Mike M.
Cheers Mike, can't be many people (if anyone) can beat that level of reading. Glad you can contribute to the podcast, hopefully you'll be a regular. :thumb:
All 3 of us will be on for Saturday's recording of Episode 9. Very excited. Episode 8 will be available this Sunday. We talk with Fred Van Lente and learn some interesting stuff about his intentions when creating Kay McHenry. :clap: ... And some other stuff too.

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Episode 8 is now available on iTunes, the website and Stitcher radio. On this episode, we talked with Fred Van Lente and had a great time. Thanks for listening! And the January contest giveaway still has 6 more days! Giving away both Deluxe Hardcovers courtesy of Valiant. Just send your best listener question to @ValiantPodcast to enter.

http://thetaylornetworkofpodcasts.com/2 ... van-lente/

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Just a last reminder that the prize giveaway for the 2 oversized Valiant hardcovers ends tomorrow night (the 31st). Thanks for all the entries so far. Can be sent to ValiantPodcast@gmail.com.

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Thanks for all the entries! We had 23 overall, and the 2 winners will be announced on episode 10.

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

SPECIAL EPISODE! Last night, Darrell and I recorded and released a special edition of the Valiant Podcast to discuss yesterday's announcements. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for listening!

http://thetaylornetworkofpodcasts.com/2 ... t-special/

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Great episode, very timely.

I share much the same thoughts as you guys.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Excellent episode fellas, very 'hot off the press' of you to get the episise out so quickly! I hadn't had a chance to read all the info on social media about the launches so it was very helpful to hear you break it down. I wonder if Shadowman will be the series to continue only as mini series?

You were very 'diplomatic' about the Ming Doyle art on Q&W :P but yes that was definitely the wrong choice to follow up Tom Fowler with.

Funny how you were talking to FVL in the last episode about Q&W/A&A team up, he was very cagey about the plans already in place wasn't he!

Ps don't get any ideas about relaunching the podcast as a new number 1 to boost listeners! :kidaround:

Nice work! :thumb: