Unity 3D cover distribution problem

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
Re: Unity 3D cover distribution problem

Post by JonesyAZ »

I feel for VEI and the potential negative repercussions with this scenario. But if this a distribution problem, isn't it actually Diamond's fault? I still get uncomfortable knowing that Diamond is the monopoly on comic distributors because comic companies are Fudged when something like this happens...they can't choose a competitor?

Maybe we should all band together and form a Valiant Distribution company? As detail-oriented about our fave company as we are, it would save VEI from continued distribution headaches and a ton of bizznitching from folks here as well :)
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I know it's a huge PITA but I've been saying from the beginning that self-distribution is the only way to go for very limited stuff. You can't do it for all the ratio incentives but for this 1/shop stuff it seems like a no-brainer. IMHO.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

JonesyAZ wrote:I feel for VEI and the potential negative repercussions with this scenario. But if this a distribution problem, isn't it actually Diamond's fault? I still get uncomfortable knowing that Diamond is the monopoly on comic distributors because comic companies are Fudged when something like this happens...they can't choose a competitor?

Maybe we should all band together and form a Valiant Distribution company? As detail-oriented about our fave company as we are, it would save VEI from continued distribution headaches and a ton of bizznitching from folks here as well :)

As the most common complaint I hear about comics these days is more and more how expensive they are, I have really been thinking a lot about how much Diamond is really hurting the industry. A comic company or independent creator pays about 40 cents to get a book printed sells it to Diamond for 60-70 cents and we pay $3-4! I know these #'s aren't exact, but you get the idea. Depending on how much product a particular shop orders determines the discount they get from Diamond, so some shops are splitting the profit almost equally with Diamond while others are getting a smaller share. A comic shop has lots of overhead and operating costs so much of their profit goes back into the business, meanwhile Diamond is making disgusting amounts of money at the expense of fans. I just think for the good of the industry having another distributor is essential. Until one of the major companies forces Diamond to change or another distributor comes along I guess things will stay the same. I get so much of my stuff digitally now and this is part of the reason. After a few weeks, books are often on sale for 99 cents and I am usually at least a couple weeks behind in my reading anyway, except for Valiant books of course. There is no paper being used, which is a benefit in my mind, money is saved on the printing process, ink, electricity to run the presses, etc, no shipping and everything that goes with that. It is just so much more efficient. Of course it took me awhile to get used to reading things digitally and I don't like it as much, but I can't afford to buy every book I read otherwise. Definitely no easy answers in this situation, but I think the industry needs to look at forcing Diamond to make some changes one way or another.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Agree with Jace. I also hear about comics these days is more and more how expensive they are....you kidding!!! :O. @ $3.99 an issue.

I try to save as much if and when I can.

Yup... Diamond as a Monopoly... not always as there's a possibility of subscribing comics like magazines at a discount.

Usually I would wait for something that appears on slickdeals.net or fatwallet.com for these special subscriptions. (these offers come once in a while. I just sign up for deal alerts so when they come up, I get an email notification so I don't miss out on the deals) Alert on words "comics"

For example:
Magmall.com had a special during last December 1 year subscriptions... (with coupon codes)

• Action Comic Superman - $13.00 - 12 Issues
• Batman Comic - $13.00 - 12 Issues
• Green Arrow Comic - $19.99 - 12 Issues
• Scooby Doo Comic - $12.99 - 12 Issues
• Supergirl Comic - $19.99 - 12 Issues
• Superman Comic - $18.40 - 12 Issues
• Teen Titans Comic - $24.99 - 12 Issues
• Batman The Dark Knight - $19.99 - 12 Issues
• Detective Comics - $15.00 - 12 Issues
• Flash - $19.99 - 12 Issues
• Green Lantern Corps - $19.99 - 12 Issues
• Looney Toons - $7.99 - 6 Issues

Also.. there was a special a few weeks ago.

From Tanga.com $14.99 each with no tax or shipping costs. Comic series include:

Batman the Dark Knight
Batman and Robin
Superman
Green Lantern
Catwoman
Aquaman
Wonder Woman
Teen Titans
Green Arrow
Green Lantern Corps
Supergirl
Batgirl

Typically takes a couple months until the comics start arriving in the mail.

I won't get the best copies like the LCS, but they surely are inexpensive compared to paying $2.99 to $3.99 an issue + tax per issue.

Its a Newstand Edition, not Direct Market.

Wonder if Valiant can do something like this. Offer a mail subscribe option.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Don't give them any ideas. Next thing you know, there will be subscription variants.

drmirage
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

:funnypost:
jedimarley wrote:Don't give them any ideas. Next thing you know, there will be subscription variants.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

LOL!
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

jedimarley wrote:Don't give them any ideas. Next thing you know, there will be subscription variants.
:takeit:
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

Pretty much all shops would get 3D as long as orders were more than XO, I expected a lot out there, and then combined with the keep a hundred deal. So expected it to be similar to what Unity red did -which my LCS did not get one of. I paid too much for my first red and didn't jump as fast at the 3D, waiting a day made a difference. I not a variant chaser much either, but these 2 seemed quite cool. :?
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

lorddunlow wrote:So, for those that have seen them in person, are they purty?
I finally got one and this comic is perfect. The best looking comic i've ever seen and held.

The 3D effect is incredible and the Crain artwork really lends itself to this process. Its amazing

I even just bought a 2nd one. :cloud9:

Putting the distribution issues aside ... I hope this is something Valiant does again and more often. This is an incentive, a variant that is really worthwhile and something that I have NO Problem spending good money for.

I'd love to see them cut back on all these Pullbox/incentive covers (many of which don't even relate to the actual story) and just release 3-4 of these 3D covers per year.

The Crain Rai #1 was made for 3D! :headbang:

I also would love to see the Bloodshot #1 Lozzi cover in 3D :cloud9:
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

drmirage wrote: Wonder if Valiant can do something like this. Offer a mail subscribe option.
Valiant can not do anything like that. Here is how those cheap subscriptions work. DC (or Marvel) do not make most of their money from comics themselves. Most money is made from selling ads to advertisers, like most magazines out on the newsstands. And like those magazines, the money they get to charge for the ads depends on one thing : circulation numbers.

Actual comics cost less than a dollar to produce when you are making a lot of copies. That includes printing AND creative costs. When sold to retailers, Diamond gets a cut, making their cost more expensive. When sold directly as subscriptions, there is no Diamond fee, which gets passed on to these companies to sell cheap subscription offers.

That's also why you see Marvel & DC constantly re-number and relaunch their series, because each time it's a #1, circulation numbers go higher, and they get to charge more. Every series has an attrition rate, so when a series goes lower than a certain amount, plans are made to relaunch, rebrand, and get it back to a number that is more advertiser-friendly.

When that does not work, they "rest" the characters for a while, to let consumers forget the bad taste in their mouth from the previous incarnation.

Once you understand that system, you can see clearly every decision that is made by those Publishers. It's not based on a creative burst of energy, but by circulation numbers. Cold hard truth.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

paradise wrote:
drmirage wrote: Wonder if Valiant can do something like this. Offer a mail subscribe option.
Valiant can not do anything like that. Here is how those cheap subscriptions work. DC (or Marvel) do not make most of their money from comics themselves. Most money is made from selling ads to advertisers, like most magazines out on the newsstands. And like those magazines, the money they get to charge for the ads depends on one thing : circulation numbers.

Actual comics cost less than a dollar to produce when you are making a lot of copies. That includes printing AND creative costs. When sold to retailers, Diamond gets a cut, making their cost more expensive. When sold directly as subscriptions, there is no Diamond fee, which gets passed on to these companies to sell cheap subscription offers.

That's also why you see Marvel & DC constantly re-number and relaunch their series, because each time it's a #1, circulation numbers go higher, and they get to charge more. Every series has an attrition rate, so when a series goes lower than a certain amount, plans are made to relaunch, rebrand, and get it back to a number that is more advertiser-friendly.

When that does not work, they "rest" the characters for a while, to let consumers forget the bad taste in their mouth from the previous incarnation.

Once you understand that system, you can see clearly every decision that is made by those Publishers. It's not based on a creative burst of energy, but by circulation numbers. Cold hard truth.
Thanks Ed. :thumb:

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

I saw one last week at my local comic shop. It was purdy, but the $75 price tag....not so much.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

david_albuq wrote:I saw one last week at my local comic shop. It was purdy, but the $75 price tag....not so much.
Should be able to get it much cheaper on eBay. Even i ended up getting one since they are relatively inexpensive.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

paradise wrote:

Good info. Reaffirms why IDW relaunches GI Joe every time it dips below 10,000 readers per comic.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Impulse creations has a few of them left for 140.00
I Miss the good old days.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

Just won a copy on eBay this morning for $31.82 shipped. :banana:
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Carson

Post by Carson »

I got one off of eBay for $50 last week. After holding it in my hands and turning it and curling it to make it move in different ways, I have to say I am very happy with my purchase. :high-five:

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

I have 2 now.. for the moment.. and they are full of super sturdy amazing-ness and seem to work awesome in a mylite 4 without a board.. :cloud9:
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Chris Campbell
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Chris Campbell »

I grabbed 2 and they are so neat in person. Completely recommend.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Picked up one on eBay for $38.50 shipped :clap:

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

Snagged one for $35.99 shipped.

Prelate1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Prelate1 »

Picked up one today for $30 shipped. :thumb:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Beware Cyclops wrote:Snagged one for $35.99 shipped.
You got me by a penny. $36 shipped
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

kjjohanson wrote:
Beware Cyclops wrote:Snagged one for $35.99 shipped.
You got me by a penny. $36 shipped
:P Mine was a Best Offer. Down from a $48.99 BIN.