TOP 10 Most EXPENSIVE/VALUABLE Valiant books, EVER!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: TOP 10 Most EXPENSIVE/VALUABLE Valiant books, EVER!

Post by greg »

kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Serious question: is there a greater number of 9.9/10.0 books from the 90s? You would think that the mass overproduction and in some cases entire cases of untouched books in cases that weren't opened, that there would be a higher likelihood of the gem mint books being found. Is that what is seen in the market?
Yes, the newer the books, the more likely a CGC 10 has occurred.
http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/statsbydecade.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the 1990s, that is particularly true for chromium covers. They're "indestructible". :D
I am fairly amused that there are recent books that someone chose to have graded that came back 0.5. Including some restored 0.5s.
Some of those are actually jokes... people competing for "worst slab in the world". :D

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

greg wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Serious question: is there a greater number of 9.9/10.0 books from the 90s? You would think that the mass overproduction and in some cases entire cases of untouched books in cases that weren't opened, that there would be a higher likelihood of the gem mint books being found. Is that what is seen in the market?
http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/statsbydecade.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the 1990s, that is particularly true for chromium covers. They're "indestructible". :D
I am fairly amused that there are recent books that someone chose to have graded that came back 0.5. Including some restored 0.5s.
Some of those are actually jokes... people competing for "worst slab in the world". :D
People who submit Dynamite books? :?
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

greg wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote:

People are stupid.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

greg wrote:In the 1990s, that is particularly true for chromium covers. They're "indestructible". :D
Except that they are extra sensitive to being left in a warm car. Kind of thing one learns from living in California.

/Magnus

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote:

People are stupid.
I have bragged at one point or another about owning a LOWEST ON CENSUS slab.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Chiclo wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote:

People are stupid.
I am kinda interested in how small a portion of a book you could submit that CGC would still slab it identified as that book. But I'm not so interested that I'd spend the money to find out.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

kjjohanson wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote: Yes, the newer the books, the more likely a CGC 10 has occurred.

People are stupid.
I am kinda interested in how small a portion of a book you could submit that CGC would still slab it identified as that book. But I'm not so interested that I'd spend the money to find out.
I have heard of individual pages of really, really valuable books like Action 1 or Detective 27 being graded singly.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I have a Superman #18 CGC 2.0 where the cover was detached, but the graders put it back on (without staples of course) and slid the whole book into the case. Looks alright, might try and get it pressed into a 2.5-3.0. :p

DBS

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I sort of feel as if we never figured out what the TOP 10 were!?!?! LOL!

DBS

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

DirtbagSailor wrote:I sort of feel as if we never figured out what the TOP 10 were!?!?! LOL!

DBS
I think trying to figure out what the most collectible, rather than the most valuable, are is a more interesting question. For many this means the same, but value right now can be pretty easily determined by what books are actually selling for, while the collectible question to me asks which books are going to be the most sought after by comic collectors down the road.

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

kjjohanson wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:I sort of feel as if we never figured out what the TOP 10 were!?!?! LOL!

DBS
I think trying to figure out what the most collectible, rather than the most valuable, are is a more interesting question. For many this means the same, but value right now can be pretty easily determined by what books are actually selling for, while the collectible question to me asks which books are going to be the most sought after by comic collectors down the road.
It's all subjective.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

kjjohanson wrote:

DBS

I think that make sense. There are more than a few books that WOULD sell, but are NOT available to how rare or collectibly (is that even a word :? ) valuable they are.

DBS

greg

Post by greg »

I agree... this is a little bit like asking to list the Top 10 pieces of original art, with only a few sales records for candidates and some definitely important pages with no sales.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

DBS

I think that make sense. There are more than a few books that WOULD sell, but are NOT available to how rare or collectibly (is that even a word :? ) valuable they are.

DBS
It's not even that, in my opinion. While the rarity of the Bloodshot platinum will probably keep it the most expensive book for quite some time, I'm not sure that that's as highly targeted a book to own as some others. If VEI takes off, I think that there's going to be an increased demand in first appearances that exceeds any increased demand for some other issues, such as last issues, even though the latter is rarer. Last issues will be an important target for people that start reading Valiant and want to own everything, but there are going to be a lot of collectors that don't fall into that category. So to me, a book like X-O Manowar #68, while rare, is not going to be as important as some of the earlier VH1 books that were printed in large quantities, mainly because 68 is going to have little or no bearing on the future X-O storylines, whereas a book like Solar 3, Harbinger 1, Solar 10, and X-O 1 are always going to be the first appearances of important characters.

greg

Post by greg »

kjjohanson wrote:If VEI takes off, I think that there's going to be an increased demand in first appearances that exceeds any increased demand for some other issues, such as last issues, even though the latter is rarer. Last issues will be an important target for people that start reading Valiant and want to own everything, but there are going to be a lot of collectors that don't fall into that category. So to me, a book like X-O Manowar #68, while rare, is not going to be as important as some of the earlier VH1 books that were printed in large quantities, mainly because 68 is going to have little or no bearing on the future X-O storylines, whereas a book like Solar 3, Harbinger 1, Solar 10, and X-O 1 are always going to be the first appearances of important characters.
I had to look twice to make sure that I wasn't the one who typed all that. :lol:

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

greg wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:If VEI takes off, I think that there's going to be an increased demand in first appearances that exceeds any increased demand for some other issues, such as last issues, even though the latter is rarer. Last issues will be an important target for people that start reading Valiant and want to own everything, but there are going to be a lot of collectors that don't fall into that category. So to me, a book like X-O Manowar #68, while rare, is not going to be as important as some of the earlier VH1 books that were printed in large quantities, mainly because 68 is going to have little or no bearing on the future X-O storylines, whereas a book like Solar 3, Harbinger 1, Solar 10, and X-O 1 are always going to be the first appearances of important characters.
I had to look twice to make sure that I wasn't the one who typed all that. :lol:
So you're saying that you pretty much think the same way?

greg

Post by greg »

kjjohanson wrote:
greg wrote:
So you're saying that you pretty much think the same way?
Definitely. :D