February 2014 Comic Sales

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
February 2014 Comic Sales

Post by Keith »

Newsarama has the preliminary info up:

http://www.newsarama.com/20513-february ... sales.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RETAIL MARKET SHARE
MARVEL COMICS - 34.10%
DC COMICS - 28.73%
IMAGE COMICS - 7.85%
DARK HORSE COMICS - 6.61%
IDW PUBLISHING - 6.01%
DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT - 3.51%
BOOM! STUDIOS - 2.05%
EAGLEMOSS PUBLICATIONS LTD - 1.28%
ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC - 1.05%
VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT LLC- 1.02%
OTHER NON-TOP 10 - 7.78%

UNIT MARKET SHARE
MARVEL COMICS - 37.36%
DC COMICS - 31.12%
IMAGE COMICS - 8.88%
DARK HORSE COMICS - 5.59%
IDW PUBLISHING - 5.00%
DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT - 3.40%
BOOM! STUDIOS - 1.94%
VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT LLC - 1.08%
ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC - 0.99%
OTHER NON-TOP 10 - 3.70%
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: February 2014 Comic Sales

Post by BugsySig »

Still hovering above 1%. Not bad considering Boom ships 3x as many books and can't double VEI's share.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

Is it the beginning of the end still?

Or is The Beginning is the End is the Beginning...?

:?
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

You know, Zenescope is basically a T&A show (not that I'm complaining...). They market their product quite differently than VEI does, and certainly to a different demographic.

So, in honesty, for VEI to be around 1%+ with the QUALITY stories they have been putting out,it says something, and something indeed good.

It's ALSO more than it was a while back! which shows growth that we can all be proud of.

DBS

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

DirtbagSailor wrote:You know, Zenescope is basically a T&A show (not that I'm complaining...). They market their product quite differently than VEI does, and certainly to a different demographic.

So, in honesty, for VEI to be around 1%+ with the QUALITY stories they have been putting out,it says something, and something indeed good.

It's ALSO more than it was a while back! which shows growth that we can all be proud of.

DBS
I concur on Zenoscope. Eaglemoss shouldnt even be on these lists as they publish reprints of other publisher's IP's and magazines.

I have to say Avatar is doing a nice job. They ship about the same number of books as VEI and have done very well, too.

If you had to divide the publishers up, I guess Avatar would be to Image for creator-owned/independents what Valiant is to Marvel/DC for original/shared universes.

Meanwhile, if not for licensed properties, DH, BOOM!, Dynamite and IDW would probably be close to or below VEI.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.

Post by Tim »

BugsySig wrote: Eaglemoss shouldnt even be on these lists as they publish reprints of other publisher's IP's and magazines.
I've never even heard of Eaglemoss. :?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Tim wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Eaglemoss shouldnt even be on these lists as they publish reprints of other publisher's IP's and magazines.
I've never even heard of Eaglemoss. :?
You wouldn't. Even if you saw something they published that you recognized, you'd probably think it was from Marvel or DC.

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

DirtbagSailor wrote:It's ALSO more than it was a while back! which shows growth that we can all be proud of.

DBS
Truth. Here's where we were at Feb. of last year:

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT LLC: Retail Share - 0.94% Unit Share - 0.98%
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I find this reassuring...

In January, Valiants overall retail market share was .95%, in February it was 1.02%. An increase of nearly 1%. Meanwhile, the rest of the comic industry decreased around 5% on average from Jan to Feb as shown here: http://www.comichron.com/. So while the others lost ground, Valiant was gaining. I'll take it. :clap:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Phoenix8008 wrote:I find this reassuring...

In January, Valiants overall retail market share was .95%, in February it was 1.02%. An increase of nearly 1%. Meanwhile, the rest of the comic industry decreased around 5% on average from Jan to Feb as shown here: http://www.comichron.com/. So while the others lost ground, Valiant was gaining. I'll take it. :clap:
I think you meant an increase of nearly 0.1 percent.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

lorddunlow wrote:

Yep, I messed up my decimal place. So they went up a little teeny tiny bit, but they did it during a month where the average of the industry dropped 5%! They didn't drop less than the competition, they didn't just hold their ground, they made some gain in an enviroment where all others were sliding backwards. I'd say that means the sky isn't falling, it actually got raised up a little bit... maybe almost 0.1%! 8-)
Viva la Valiant!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Yep, I messed up my decimal place. So they went up a little teeny tiny bit, but they did it during a month where the average of the industry dropped 5%! They didn't drop less than the competition, they didn't just hold their ground, they made some gain in an enviroment where all others were sliding backwards. I'd say that means the sky isn't falling, it actually got raised up a little bit... maybe almost 0.1%! 8-)
I think what it shows is that VALIANT has a very loyal reader base who likely buy multiple, if not all, titles they produce.

Of course they must also be gaining about as many or slightly more readers as they lose month to month, which is pretty impressive.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

lorddunlow wrote:

Actually that's an increase of about 7% of their previous numbers, but a gain of .1% of the total market. Keep in mind that that's a larger percentage of less total numbers, so the dollar figure gain isn't 7%.

Let's assume that $1,000,000 was the total dollars spent in the market in January. (I'm just picking a nice round number which is probably nowhere near the actual figure; I have no idea what the real numbers are, but since we're talking percentages it doesn't matter.) February's % decrease in dollars was 5.48%, meaning $945,200 was spent. Valiant's % of the market (in dollars, not items) was 0.95% and then 1.02%

1,000,000 * 0.95% = $9500
945,200 * 1.02% = $9641.04

I don't know if the market share included just comics or collections as well, so the numbers may be off, but it looks like Valiant's numbers are steady.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

kjjohanson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Actually that's an increase of about 7% of their previous numbers, but a gain of .1% of the total market. Keep in mind that that's a larger percentage of less total numbers, so the dollar figure gain isn't 7%.

Let's assume that $1,000,000 was the total dollars spent in the market in January. (I'm just picking a nice round number which is probably nowhere near the actual figure; I have no idea what the real numbers are, but since we're talking percentages it doesn't matter.) February's % decrease in dollars was 5.48%, meaning $945,200 was spent. Valiant's % of the market (in dollars, not items) was 0.95% and then 1.02%

I don't know if the market share included just comics or collections as well, so the numbers may be off, but it looks like Valiant's numbers are steady.
Good summary. The market shares include trades and collections, but I don't think that changes your overall point.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

kjjohanson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

A question, though; were the number of books shipped the same? Or is there an extra issue of Bloodshot & HC in there for the 0 issue?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

kjjohanson wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

A question, though; were the number of books shipped the same? Or is there an extra issue of Bloodshot & HC in there for the 0 issue?
I just double-checked the page on this site showing release dates. Assuming that that page is accurate as far as actual ship date, Valiant shipped 8 books in January and 9 in February, so average numbers were down, even though total numbers were up.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

kjjohanson wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I just double-checked the page on this site showing release dates. Assuming that that page is accurate as far as actual ship date, Valiant shipped 8 books in January and 9 in February, so average numbers were down, even though total numbers were up.
Okay, so there were 9 books and not 8, but still... as a company Valiant increased it's sales during a month that the average drop across the industry was around 5%. I still say that's pretty decent. The sky is still up there, it's not falling. :P That's my opinion, despite what the doom-sayers will preach once the individual book numbers come out and we find that some have lower sales than last month.
Viva la Valiant!

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Another bad month for valiant. Seven titles under 9,000. Five under 8,000. EW and Unity lost 5,000 combined. XO picked up 500.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

From Comichron.com for February:

170 Unity 4 --- 10,644
180 X-O Manowar 22 --- 9,808
193 Archer & Armstrong Archer 0 --- 8,671
195 Harbinger 21 --- 8,473
205 Quantum & Woody 8 --- 7,992
207 Bloodshot & Hard Corps 0 --- 7,895
208 Eternal Warrior 6 --- 7,862
216 Bloodshot & Hard Corps 19 --- 7,281
217 Shadowman 15 --- 7,239
Viva la Valiant!

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

jedimarley wrote:Another bad month for valiant. Seven titles under 9,000. Five under 8,000. EW and Unity lost 5,000 combined. XO picked up 500.
Quoting Yoda to another Jedi a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away: "So certain are you. Always with you what cannot be done!"

Were the stories bad? Was the art horrible. What besides the sales numbers was bad in February?

3 of those 5 that are under 8,000 are just barely so. It's not as good as I'd like it to be, but what can any of us do about it beyond what we already are? We buy and read the books. We promote the comics and the company to try and expand the reader pool. Yet many people only seem to speak up when there is some bad news or negative fact to spread around. Maybe those people also post some gushing loving posts about some of the titles or whatever, but if so, I must be missing alot of them.

Maybe I should just stay out of this thread if it bothers me this much. I don't mind honest critiques and I'm not trying to forbid any negative opinions. It just seems that some have nothing to offer but negative opinions. If there's nothing good about Valiant and how their doing, then why are you still reading them and why are you posting here? facepalm Sorry about the :rant: , I'll bow out and stop for now.
Viva la Valiant!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

jedimarley wrote:Another bad month for valiant. Seven titles under 9,000. Five under 8,000. EW and Unity lost 5,000 combined. XO picked up 500.
"Bad" relative to what? The prior month? Maybe... but the whole market was down 4% in February vs. January.
Valiant total comics sold went from 73,967 in January to 75,865 in February.
The market fell 4%, Valiant rose 2.5%.

"Bad", maybe... if that's your viewpoint. Better than others? Definitely.

Valiant isn't competing against Marvel, DC, or Image.
They can't. They're too small. They're too new.

Valiant competes against IDW, Dynamite, Boom, Avatar, Zenescope.

So, how did Valiant do against their actual competition?

Average sales per book in the Top 300:
IDW 10,178
Valiant 8,420
Boom 8,091
Dynamic Forces 8,031
Zenescope 6,098
Bongo 5,723

Valiant is 2nd.
IDW is first... publishing TMNT, My Little Pony, Star Trek, X-Files, Transformers, G.I. Joe.

Yep... it's really sad... Valiant came in second to all those well-known properties from the past 50 years.

Some of those publishers actually publish books that didn't make the Top 300.
When you put those into the averages (even pretending "best case" they were all #300 on the list), the publishers look like:

Valiant 8,420
IDW 8,108
Zenescope 6,098
Dynamic Forces 5,996
Bongo 5,723
Boom 5,698

Valiant is 1st.

Yep, let's keep preaching the doom and gloom.
It's all over for Valiant. Play the sad trumpets.
Start writing the eulogy.

Just make sure you bury all their competition first.
The competition is all failing harder... for longer... and somehow still kickin'.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Bad that valiant can't attract new readers.

Bad that valiant can't keep existing readers.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

jedimarley wrote:Bad that valiant can't attract new readers.

Bad. Bad. Bad.
Just a question out of curiosity? Are you still reading the books? (This is not a loaded question)
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Bad. Bad. Bad.
So true... Valiant is horrible... just 8,000 copies per book?

Think of how much better properties like Transformers, with multi-billion dollar movie franchises are doing... with 9,000 copies per book.

So much better, those Transformers, what with all the fantastic numbers of readers they have due to being in the public (more than meets the) eye for the past 30 years.

The box office records, the toys, the bed sheets... so many, many more readers they have.

Why does Valiant fail so hard? :roll:

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

lorddunlow wrote:

Bad. Bad. Bad.
Just a question out of curiosity? Are you still reading the books? (This is not a loaded question)
I will have to say that the quote "Bad that Valiant can't keep existing readers" is the craziest thing i ever read around here. Including your rants, dunlow. :kidaround:

That poster is on my ignore list for a reason: at one point, it's just not criticism it's *SQUEE* trolling. It's posting lies as if they are a fact. It's crazy talk.
Don't expect a reasonable answer.

Seriously, :lol: :lol: :lol: accompanied by a huge *SQUEE* facepalm.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo