Aric/Turok

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

gawain36
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
Aric/Turok

Post by gawain36 »

I really miss the relationship that Aric had with Turok. It is a shame what has happened to the Gold Key properties over the years. I would love to see Magnus in the new Rai universe alongside Rai and Spylocke as well as Solar throughout. This new incarnation of Valiant is doing a great job and at this point it may be difficult to infuse those characters so late in the game but still just wanted to pay homage to what came before-the reason most of us are on board here. It would be great to see dinosaurs hidden in the darkest corners of the universe and its greatest hunters seeking them out.
This is truly a good skin!

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Aric/Turok

Post by jmatt »

Welcome to the board!

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by hunter_peterson »

gawain36 wrote:I really miss the relationship that Aric had with Turok. It is a shame what has happened to the Gold Key properties over the years. I would love to see Magnus in the new Rai universe alongside Rai and Spylocke as well as Solar throughout. This new incarnation of Valiant is doing a great job and at this point it may be difficult to infuse those characters so late in the game but still just wanted to pay homage to what came before-the reason most of us are on board here. It would be great to see dinosaurs hidden in the darkest corners of the universe and its greatest hunters seeking them out.
I respectfully disagree; I think VEI has done a wonderful job of redefining their universe without the Gold Key Three. While Magnus would definitely be cool, future Gilad can fill that role. And we get dinosaurs from the Faraway. And between XO and Ivar the godly role of Solar is well filled. I think having the universe made of their original characters can only be better! :thumb:

Sir Sandrick
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: X-O/Aric
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Sir Sandrick »

I gotta say, there are a lot of differences between the original X-O and the new that I have mixed feelings about. Not sure how I like Aric not being the last Visigoth left. I always liked how he was alone, a bit like Supes, and did not have any of his past to grasp onto. He has this punk-ruler vibe going that I can't quite get into. I would rather that he was just trying to make his way in the new world with the help of the suit. I feel like the bond with Shanhara was explored more in the first series so that you really felt when it was destroyed- that he was truly alone again. The new version is good in different ways, but I liked that Aric was alone and forced to make new friends and allies like Ken and Turok.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I think VEI is doing just fine without them and I think at this point it would feel forced trying to introduce them to this universe.

Of course, I am happy to daydream about what could have been because I love those Gold Key characters and hope one day someone breathes new life into them the way Shooter did many years ago.

And welcome to the boards! :thumb:
Multum In Parvo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

The Dirt Gang wrote:I think VEI is doing just fine without them and I think at this point it would feel forced trying to introduce them to this universe.
+1
The Dirt Gang wrote:Of course, I am happy to daydream about what could have been because I love those Gold Key characters and hope one day someone breathes new life into them the way Shooter did many years ago.
What, Dynamite isn't doing that right now? :wink: :lol:
The Dirt Gang wrote:And welcome to the boards! :thumb:
+1 - welcome, gawain!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

abaddon
Valiant fan since: Shadowman (Vol.1) #1
Favorite character: Master Darque
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by abaddon »

It would be nice to see them hang out one more time...

Having said that, I'm one of the few on these boards that enjoy the Dynamite Gold Key relaunch and prefer keeping the Gold Key Three separate from the current Valiant Universe.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I understand the nostalgia for that relationship as well, but I'm okay without the GK3 being in the new VEI universe. Yes, Aric isn't the last Visigoth anymore, but that just means he has something to LOSE! Going through all he did to save them and then to find a safe place to locate them, how much more powerful would the loss be if they were all destroyed in the future... by the Armor Hunters for instance. They are trying to cleanse anywhere that the armor has been after all. (Weird theory that just popped into my head: Heck, what if Aric has gotten his girlfriend pregnant and the baby comes out part armor?!)

Anyway, I'm just saying that by giving him the struggles and trials he's had to overcome to make a safe place for his people, the loss would be even bigger if they got taken away. He wouldn't just be starting as the last of his people, we'd see the whole journey then get some of the same angst and sadness from the original character later. It goes back to the whole reason that many heroes wear a mask - to keep their non-powered loved ones safe. Aric just doesn't understand yet that the US military can't be the only ones who might have a crosshair painted on his valley of people.

Aric could also have a similar relationship with Gilad and be nearly the same. Two old school warriors in the modern day hanging out. I would like to see something like that showing some downtime. Of course, I'd also like to see him involved with Orb Industries and Alexander in the future as well. And to go hunting the rest of the plantings on Earth... eventually.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Phoenix8008 wrote:(Weird theory that just popped into my head: Heck, what if Aric has gotten his girlfriend pregnant and the baby comes out part armor?!)
I like this idea but I'm pretty sure the armor turns into a prophylactic device. It is supposed to protect Aric right!?!
Multum In Parvo

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:(Weird theory that just popped into my head: Heck, what if Aric has gotten his girlfriend pregnant and the baby comes out part armor?!)
I like this idea but I'm pretty sure the armor turns into a prophylactic device. It is supposed to protect Aric right!?!
I'm sure the armor could do that if Aric wanted it to, but don't you think KING Aric the 1st would want heirs for his kingdom?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Phoenix8008 wrote:I understand the nostalgia for that relationship as well, but I'm okay without the GK3 being in the new VEI universe. Yes, Aric isn't the last Visigoth anymore, but that just means he has something to LOSE! Going through all he did to save them and then to find a safe place to locate them, how much more powerful would the loss be if they were all destroyed in the future... by the Armor Hunters for instance. They are trying to cleanse anywhere that the armor has been after all. (Weird theory that just popped into my head: Heck, what if Aric has gotten his girlfriend pregnant and the baby comes out part armor?!)

Anyway, I'm just saying that by giving him the struggles and trials he's had to overcome to make a safe place for his people, the loss would be even bigger if they got taken away. He wouldn't just be starting as the last of his people, we'd see the whole journey then get some of the same angst and sadness from the original character later. It goes back to the whole reason that many heroes wear a mask - to keep their non-powered loved ones safe. Aric just doesn't understand yet that the US military can't be the only ones who might have a crosshair painted on his valley of people.

Aric could also have a similar relationship with Gilad and be nearly the same. Two old school warriors in the modern day hanging out. I would like to see something like that showing some downtime. Of course, I'd also like to see him involved with Orb Industries and Alexander in the future as well. And to go hunting the rest of the plantings on Earth... eventually.
I'm also enjoying Aric without Turok around, Gilad fills that role quite nicely in the new books so far. I'm perfectly happy with no GK3 in VEI.

As for the loneliness of being the last Visigoth - Phoenix8008 makes a good case for how much more potent it will be if we see him lose his people now in comparison to starting out & staying alone as per the VH1 version.

And come to think of it, this makes me worry a little for what will happen in Armor Hunters... surely the Hunters will trace his location to the new Visigoth lands in Nebraska at some point, and I think they will immediately choose to eradicate them all when they do. We've seen from some previews that some major devastation is going to happen...

You know, its just not safe in Nebraska anymore. I don't care how far away from the Visigoth camp they are, SonicDan & Pixierosa need to get outta there, stat! VFans can't handle losing our #1 royal Valiant couple!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ras the future fan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot

Post by Ras the future fan »

Yes in the new universe Eternal Emperor does replace Magnus and Ivar replaces Solar. But we haven't gotten a replacement for Turok yet, I think a new hero set in the Faraway would be a good idea, as that place has so much more about it to flesh out. A "Faraway Hunter" please.
Don't be afraid of the Darque!

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Ras the future fan wrote:Yes in the new universe Eternal Emperor does replace Magnus and Ivar replaces Solar. But we haven't gotten a replacement for Turok yet, I think a new hero set in the Faraway would be a good idea, as that place has so much more about it to flesh out. A "Faraway Hunter" please.
Or a girl with Faraway eyes
Multum In Parvo