Valiant Mentioned on Fat Man on Batman

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Valiant Mentioned on Fat Man on Batman

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Hey all,
So, if you're not familiar, Kevin Smith does a podcast called Fat Man on Batman. He talks to creators who have had something to do with Batman at some point in their career.
This episode is Joe Quesada. At around the 46 minute mark, Joe starts talking about how he used to be a colorist for Valiant, doing Nintendo books.
Of course I knew he did Ninjak, and some other awesome covers, but never knew that he started off as a colorist during the Nintendo era.
Is that common knowledge? I've never heard it mentioned on the boards before, but granted, I've only been on a couple of years...

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Re: Valiant Mentioned on Fat Man on Batman

Post by ckb »

Yes! Quesada's first "work" is something like Captain N #3, seriously. The index part of the web site is down right now or I would look it up for you. I believe his first published pencils were in Solar.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Hey all,
So, if you're not familiar, Kevin Smith does a podcast called Fat Man on Batman. He talks to creators who have had something to do with Batman at some point in their career.
This episode is Joe Quesada. At around the 46 minute mark, Joe starts talking about how he used to be a colorist for Valiant, doing Nintendo books.
Of course I knew he did Ninjak, and some other awesome covers, but never knew that he started off as a colorist during the Nintendo era.
Is that common knowledge? I've never heard it mentioned on the boards before, but granted, I've only been on a couple of years...

I'm a big (like HUGE) Tell em Steve Dave (which is part of the Smodcast podcast network). I have not listened to FMoB yet, but I intend to.

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Elveen wrote:

I'm a big (like HUGE) Tell em Steve Dave (which is part of the Smodcast podcast network). I have not listened to FMoB yet, but I intend to.
I love this podcast man. They're not even interviews, it's just conversations with some of the most amazing comic book creators in history. He's had such a high level of talent, I don't know how he's going to keep it up. And they all share so much. It's a pretty amazing show.
Never listened to TESD, and don't intend to!

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

I knew that he started out on Knob Row, so I'm not surprised that his first work was on the Nintendo books. Which is kind of ironic I guess...David Lapham's first work was also on the Nintendo books. So a lot of their good artists probably started there.
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Elveen wrote:

Do it. It is my fav podcast since it began (quickly followed by OTV, mind you 8-) ), basically because Kevin loves the BTAS as much- if not more- than myself, which I didn't think was possible in an adult.
He had Paul Dini for the first show, and let's just say it was very emotional. I cried listening to those fools cry, because they really get Batman as I get it. If it makes any sense.

Then he got Mark Hamill, Bruce Timm, Kevin Conroy, Scott Snyder and Greg Cappulo, Adam West, Neal Adams, Denny O' Neil, all the great people that made Batman the best character in the world, imho. Except Frank Miller- that's the one missing.
The Quesada episode was one of the worst, sincerelly. Because I think Quesada's work on Batman is just a very well-known poster he did in the early nineties.
Cool interview, but I admitedly listen to FMOB for the Bat-worship. Not so much this time. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Do it. It is my fav podcast since it began (quickly followed by OTV, mind you 8-) ), basically because Kevin loves the BTAS as much- if not more- than myself, which I didn't think was possible in an adult.
He had Paul Dini for the first show, and let's just say it was very emotional. I cried listening to those fools cry, because they really get Batman as I get it. If it makes any sense.

Then he got Mark Hamill, Bruce Timm, Kevin Conroy, Scott Snyder and Greg Cappulo, Adam West, Neal Adams, Denny O' Neil, all the great people that made Batman the best character in the world, imho. Except Frank Miller- that's the one missing.
The Quesada episode was one of the worst, sincerelly. Because I think Quesada's work on Batman is just a very well-known poster he did in the early nineties.
Cool interview, but I admitedly listen to FMOB for the Bat-worship. Not so much this time. :thumb:
I hear ya on that. But he's basically had every big "Bat" name in the studio already. Who's left? He's going to have to bring in people with a little less of a tie to the character to keep the show going. As long as it's comic related, I'm cool with it. He had Kyle Higgins, who only did Nightwing, not Batman. Still, a cool episode :-) Loved the Capullo episode(s?) Jim Lee was amazing as well! It's cool getting all of these creators histories, and throwing in a dash of the bat is the twist it needs.
He needs to get Michael Keaton on!

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
Elveen wrote:

I hear ya on that. But he's basically had every big "Bat" name in the studio already. Who's left? He's going to have to bring in people with a little less of a tie to the character to keep the show going. As long as it's comic related, I'm cool with it. He had Kyle Higgins, who only did Nightwing, not Batman. Still, a cool episode :-) Loved the Capullo episode(s?) Jim Lee was amazing as well! It's cool getting all of these creators histories, and throwing in a dash of the bat is the twist it needs.
He needs to get Michael Keaton on!
Another fellow FMOB fan! :high-five:
Michael Keaton, absolutely. And eventually someone BIG involved in the Nolanverse movies. :hope:
I liked the Kyle Higgins episodes a lot, even if I'm not following Nightwing. I just love to hear how people feel aboth the character- KH is a great bat-fan, for sure.
Jim Lee was also an amazing interview, I agree. And the movie commentaries with Marc Bernardin.

Personally, I'd love to hear Casey Kasem on this podcast: his Robin was "my Robin" when I was a child (4-5ish) and it still echoes in my head everytime I read an old Batman comic. :)
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

The Grant Morrison episodes (3 in all, I think) were SO good. FMOB is at the top of my "read" pile as far as podcasts go.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

ckb wrote:Yes! Quesada's first "work" is something like Captain N #3, seriously. The index part of the web site is down right now or I would look it up for you. I believe his first published pencils were in Solar.

It is Captain N #3 around the middle of the book there is a one page splash that had Joe Q in the credits :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;