Eternal Warrior #8 Preview

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Eternal Warrior #8 Preview

Post by BugsySig »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/17/ ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I usually don't read the previews but I did here for some reason. It looks really good and now I am bummed it's going on hiatus. I still don't really understand why other than VEI couldn't figure out a way to fit his book into Armor Hunters or another temporary mini like Delinquents or End Times. "Making way for Rai" makes no sense to me.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: Eternal Warrior #8 Preview

Post by kjjohanson »

BugsySig wrote:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/17/ ... um=twitter

I usually don't read the previews but I did here for some reason. It looks really good and now I am bummed it's going on hiatus. I still don't really understand why other than VEI couldn't figure out a way to fit his book into Armor Hunters or another temporary mini like Delinquents or End Times. "Making way for Rai" makes no sense to me.
I'm guessing it's more a limitation of how many books their staff can handle right now. Since they're adding Rai, they have to pause on something else. Hopefully we'll get to the point sometime next year where they're strong enough to add to the staff and really expand the line.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

brucehartshorn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: MRF #1
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by brucehartshorn »

It is also about maintining their quality. Stretching their resources too thin can only result in the quality which we all have enjoyed to this point. Add to the fact that they are working hard to bring new fans into the fold with new series/mini-series which give them a good jumping on point, and it becomes more understandable that they need to shift priorities around a bit to try and accomplish all they are doing. For a company that is not quite two years in business, they have compiled a tremendous record of quality work that has always been on schedule. Given that, I feel they have earned my patience and understanding as they take a solid and measured approach to continued growth while NOT sacrificing quality. PLUS, there is something to be said for the old saying, "anticipation makes the heart grow fonder". Think how pleased we will all be once the hiatus series return :clap:

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

BugsySig wrote:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/17/ ... um=twitter

I'm completely with you on this. To cram (i.e. shoe-horn) Armor Hunters into every monthly title seems silly and amateurish. I can see how you tie it in with Unity since X-O is a member, but some of the others?

I've been enjoying EW since the first issue and am personally unhappy it's taking a back-seat to "event." Hopefully this is not an omen VEI is cancelling it. Cause if VEI wants to cancel a title, let's start with culling A&A. It hasn't been readable since issue 5.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

david_albuq wrote: Cause if VEI wants to cancel a title, let's start with culling A&A. It hasn't been readable since issue 5.
A&A #12 is outstanding.

Read it.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

greg wrote:
david_albuq wrote: Cause if VEI wants to cancel a title, let's start with culling A&A. It hasn't been readable since issue 5.
A&A #12 is outstanding.

Read it.
x 2. Granted, we all have our tastes David, but I hope you will give a&A another shot in the near future?
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

brucehartshorn wrote:It is also about maintining their quality. Stretching their resources too thin can only result in the quality which we all have enjoyed to this point. Add to the fact that they are working hard to bring new fans into the fold with new series/mini-series which give them a good jumping on point, and it becomes more understandable that they need to shift priorities around a bit to try and accomplish all they are doing. For a company that is not quite two years in business, they have compiled a tremendous record of quality work that has always been on schedule. Given that, I feel they have earned my patience and understanding as they take a solid and measured approach to continued growth while NOT sacrificing quality. PLUS, there is something to be said for the old saying, "anticipation makes the heart grow fonder". Think how pleased we will all be once the hiatus series return :clap:
I can understand all those points, but EW is the only book getting a complete hiatus. Bloodshot & HARD Corps continues with Armor Hunters: Bloodshot (plus BS is joining Unity), and the same for Harbinger. A&A and Q&W are teaming up in The Delinquents and Shadowman is getting a miniseries. I know Gilad will still be in Unity, but considering the book is only 8 issues in, it's very curious why it's the one book being singled out for a break.

Paradigm38
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Paradigm38 »

Or maybe... just maybe there is a team working really hard during the "hiatus" to bring 2 or 3 issues "in the can" to keep top notch quality when the title returns? Wouldn't mind seeing an EW mini-series every now and then if there is not a continuous title. One plot thread at a time...

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Paradigm38 wrote:Or maybe... just maybe there is a team working really hard during the "hiatus" to bring 2 or 3 issues "in the can" to keep top notch quality when the title returns? Wouldn't mind seeing an EW mini-series every now and then if there is not a continuous title. One plot thread at a time...
That wouldn't surprise me, as Cary Nord has been posting work in Instagram of what appears to be an Eternal Warrior story. But VEI went all in to continue Shadowman when it should have taken a hiatus after the second arc before Milligan's run started, so why do so now on EW when everyone is still on board (as far as we know)?

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

BugsySig wrote:
Paradigm38 wrote:Or maybe... just maybe there is a team working really hard during the "hiatus" to bring 2 or 3 issues "in the can" to keep top notch quality when the title returns? Wouldn't mind seeing an EW mini-series every now and then if there is not a continuous title. One plot thread at a time...
That wouldn't surprise me, as Cary Nord has been posting work in Instagram of what appears to be an Eternal Warrior story. But VEI went all in to continue Shadowman when it should have taken a hiatus after the second arc before Milligan's run started, so why do so now on EW when everyone is still on board (as far as we know)?
Remember though that there were some bad vibes here for the 'filler' issues Shadowman was churning out for those three months. Maybe VEI didn't want the quality to suffer so their trying to go the other route with the hiatus thing.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Remember though that there were some bad vibes here for the 'filler' issues Shadowman was churning out for those three months. Maybe VEI didn't want the quality to suffer so their trying to go the other route with the hiatus thing.
I suppose, but it sounds like Pak is still on the book, and that's an awful big change in philosophy from the VEI brass.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
I suppose, but it sounds like Pak is still on the book, and that's an awful big change in philosophy from the VEI brass.
I tend to agree with Phoenix8008 on this - maybe they are paying attention to fan reaction to the inconsistencies in Gilads character and have decided to handle it differently than what they did with Shadowman.

I support the idea of a hiatus in favour of maintaining a high quality book, if its just going to be a temporary thing. Granted, it would be nice to hear some news about what is going to happen with Eternal Warrior in the near future. And perhaps it is equally affected by their decision to limit the number of books in the line during Armour Hunters. Either way, they seem to be trying hard to keep fans happy, and I appreciate the effort.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;