What is your favorite Valiant title? (VEI)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Favorite Valiant Title

Archer & Armstrong
19%
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps
5%
Eternal Warrior
3%
Harbinger
30%
Quantum & Woody
1%
RAI
7%
Shadowman
3%
Unity
8%
X-O Manowar
24%

Total votes: 100

Shade
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: De La Torre
What is your favorite Valiant title? (VEI)

Post by Shade »

I'm new here and I like polls. Plus I thought it could be a good way for me to get to know everyone. I didn't see a thread like this anywhere so I thought I'd take a stab at it.

Oh, and maybe provide a reason why a title is your favorite in the comments. That way I can get to know you.
Changing lives and raising hell at http://www.maxlevelgeek.com

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: What is your favorite Valiant title? (VEI)

Post by ShadowTuga »

Harbinger, because it is the best character comic book that ever was.
Josh Dysart does have a demigod status and quite the fanboy following around these parts, you'll soon notice- if you haven't yet. 8-)

My next choice (considering current form of the ongoing) would be either Unity, Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior or X-O.
Or, as of today Rai.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Shade

Post by Shade »

ShadowTuga wrote:Harbinger, because it is the best character comic book that ever was.
Josh Dysart does have a demigod status and quite the fanboy following around these parts, you'll soon notice- if you haven't yet. 8-)

My next choice (considering current form of the ongoing) would be either Unity, Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior or X-O.
Or, as of today Rai.
Nice choice! I do like writers who develop their characters well, and Dysart definitely does exemplary work when it comes to that.

No Shadowman, though? Boo

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Harbinger and Archer&Armstrong

Josh Dysart is my favorite writer. I love all the characters even the "villains" - they are well rounded with incredible depth. I love the over-arching themes and keeps you guessing storylines.

FVL is another brilliant writer. A&A has been consistently strong with some of the best single issues and one of the best arcs (far far away)

Those are the 2 standouts for me .. But every title has had its great moments - Shadowman #0and 10 are 2 of my favorite issues. The recent issues of XO have been out of this world. Q&W had a great opening arc. EW has had some stand out issues but unfortunately some plot problems and inconsistencies. Bloodshot has had some great issue runs .. but also the occasional clunkers.

Rai obviously just started but is off to an amazing start.

Unity has been great .. But still in the early stages.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Shade wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:Harbinger, because it is the best character comic book that ever was.

Or, as of today Rai.
Nice choice! I do like writers who develop their characters well, and Dysart definitely does exemplary work when it comes to that.

Shadowman is a solid 4th, and climbing. I like the Milligan run so far (even if the last issue felt a bit... rushed), and both issues 0 and 10 by JJ were outstanding. The origin story of the Loa was brilliant comics.
But the majority of the book has been not as good as X-O, A&A, Unity, and even EW constant quality standards.
Each of this series had at least one arc that rocked me, sometimes 2 and 3, but Shadowman has yet to be that consistently good.

Still, I think he'll be on top 3 of my VEIs really soon. :hm:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Shade

Post by Shade »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Shade wrote:

Or, as of today Rai.

Shadowman is a solid 4th, and climbing. I like the Milligan run so far (even if the last issue felt a bit... rushed), and both issues 0 and 10 by JJ were outstanding. The origin story of the Loa was brilliant comics.
But the majority of the book has been not as good as X-O, A&A, Unity, and even EW constant quality standards.
Each of this series had at least one arc that rocked me, sometimes 2 and 3, but Shadowman has yet to be that consistently good.

Still, I think he'll be on top 3 of my VEIs really soon. :hm:
Yeah I feel you there. JJ did have a couple great issues, but I think it had an identity crisis early on and he didn't really do much with Jack as a character IMO.

I really dig what Milligan is doing with Shadowman, especially creating an interesting dichotomy with Jack and the loa. He's really giving us some insights into the two which is mostly what I wanted to see more of from JJ. So props to Valiant for recognizing where the series needed to improve, getting the right guy for the job and executing.

I think once Milligan gets some more issues under his belt this series will start to take shape and, hopefully, hit that consistent quality we're looking for.

This book is finally being treated like the horror book it is. I think that's starting to show with the types of artists Valiant is putting on this series.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Archer and Armstrong is the standout for me, as it has been so consistently entertaining throughout for me as a reader, and has felt true to its own premise for its whole duration.

Bloodshot/Bloodshot and HARDCorps follows up as the best of the rest for me. This is based on a couple of things: I loved the pre-HW run by Swierzyncski; and I have liked HARDCorps' development as part of the VALIANT (VEI) universe. There are other books that I could have voted for, but Bloodshot and HARDCorps is simply my second favourite on enjoyment terms.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

It is a good thing that we could pick two titles because I don't think I could have picked just one.

X-O and Harbinger.

Josh Dysart is a good author and we are fortunate that he has decided to write our funny books.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I scream for Harbinger.

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

I said A&A just because I always highly anticipate it and it always makes me feel like I won Pass the Parcel when I get it. But Harbinger is also extremely fantastic and I probably should have co-picked it, especially given my profile data, but picking two felt wrong, so I went with the one that gives me the most visceral reaction.

(I also agree with all that has been said about Shadowman here- though hopefully Milligan doesn't feel the need to recap for the reader next issue of End Times. That killed the pace a bit.)

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

It's easy...... Harbinowar

Shade

Post by Shade »

Today I've been catching up on Harbinger (up to ish 21 so far) and hoo-eee. I forgot how much Dysart kills it on this book. I like everyone of his characters, for different reasons. I think I'm changing my answer to Harbinger lol

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I went with Harbinger and Bloodshot and HARD Corps, I like that the 2 books were brought together by Harbinger Wars and when I think of all the little orbits in the VEI universe theses are the stories I like best. Dysart all the way :thumb:

Secondly I would go XO and Unity as these books are also quite linked now and always high quality.

Third would be Shadowman, I think it started strong then slipped off and is now going in right direction again both with story and art.

Fourth I'll go Rai just because it was such a great debut and looks to be a really strong book that VEI is fully invested in.

Fifth would be A&A, I really like Archer and the little hints via Timewalker was great. A couple of things bother me about the run though- 1. Eternal Warriors goofy debut 2. Armstrong sleeps with Mary Maria, totally ruined the character for me I have zero respect for him now and it seriously impedes my enjoyment of the book.

Sixth would be Eternal Warrior which are decent stories on there own but don't seem to sync up with the VEI universe as a whole. Instead of revealing the universe it seems to be muddling it, no mention of Kay and the big reveal of Mitu at the end of the first arc resulted in a fizzle at the end of the second arc. A lot of stuff was set up in these 2 arcs but I really don't know why, it seems very out of step with everything else.

Seventh would be Q&W which had some great art by Fowler but over all I don't like the characters or the book as whole, I've stopped reading it as it was annoying me.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Eternal Warrior was my favorite, unfortunately it got canceled (or, "on hiatus") after only 8 issues.

X-O is my next most favorite, although Bloodshot used to be (before Duane Swierzynski left and Manny Garcia).

I enjoy all the books for the most part. I think i am one of the few not really enamored by Harbinger (its good, but not great imho).
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

My fav VEI book is Harbinger. I just really love those characters and Dysart is doing an amazing job of bringing out the best of them with this new version. It has the spirit of the VH1 version just masterfully written by a dude that's becoming one of my overall fav writers in all of comics.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Shade

Post by Shade »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:My fav VEI book is Harbinger. I just really love those characters and Dysart is doing an amazing job of bringing out the best of them with this new version. It has the spirit of the VH1 version just masterfully written by a dude that's becoming one of my overall fav writers in all of comics.
Well said Mark, I couldn't agree more!

Dysart's character work is top notch and it makes it such a standout series. Not just one of Valiant's best, but one of the best comics out there right now period.

floriss
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2000
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar / A&A
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by floriss »

X-O Manowar and Archer & Armstrong are my favorite books.

X-O Manowar
Strong, compelling story. The art suffered during Planet Death in my opinion and is with Armor Hunters up to scratch.

Harbinger
Took me a while to warm up to it. Art and story during Perfect Day pulled me out of it, nearly dropped the book.
But after that it picked up supersonic speed. Wow!

Bloodshot
Enjoyed it. Thoroughly during Harbinger Wars. Since the start of H.A.R.D.corps, not so much. Bart Sears? Not my cup of tea.

Archer and Armstrong
The story by van Lente, the artwork an pacing. What a whimsical adventure!

Eternal Warrior
Generic start storywise. Second arc intrigued.

Unity
Great book. Compelling and surprising. Consistent great art.

Rai
Have not read it yet.

Shadowman
The fist issues, after that, meh. Dropped it.

Quantum and Woody
The art by Tom Fowler fitted the quirky story. After that it winded down. Where is the book heading? Dropped the book.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Harbinger for the same reasons as everyone else.

Unity because I love the idea of a rotating cast title and it's just been excellent from the start.

X-O is pretty much tied with Unity for me, but with Unity I get more characters.

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

Harbinger, because Josh makes each character seem real. That's no small feat on a team book with a large cast.

I really enjoy XO. It's a close second. Unity has been great and Rai is of to a beautiful start.

A&A and Q&W are fun, but I'm not dying to read them.

Shadowman, oh shadowman.... morsels of brilliance (0 and 10) sprinkled over luke warm mediocrity.

EW confuses me, but I'm liking the second arc much more than the first.

Welcome to the boards!
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I'd have to go with Harbinger as my top pick due to Dysart's amazing ability to write great stories about these great characters. X-O is my second pick for the epic scope of his book and the awesome quiet moments of humanity amidst the various gruesome new invented means of death.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

I think my favorite title is XO, followed vary closely by Harbinger, Unity, and EW all in 2nd place. Q&W is a close 3rd for me.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Anyone who says anything other than XO and Harby is crazy mental! :P VDitti and Dysart are very consistent with their writing and have introduced superb character development and new concepts.

Haven't read Rai yet but sounds like it could be a future contender?

Peter
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by Peter »

Eternal Warrior - This book has always been my favourite. So much potential and if done right, this book has limitless storylines as each story can take place any time in history. This title should be storytelling at it's best, it could be adventures on the high seas, Germanic tribes defeating Roman's best, wartime espionage, wild west, to go Viking, crusades, and so on and so on, whilst at all times, an undercurrent of two other brothers looming large in the background. This it what the first series briefly touched on, but eventually lost their way. I have high hopes for the new series ?when? it comes back :hope: . Come on guys treat this book right, make me proud. Also if you ever make a TV series of this character, you couldn't go past using Anson Mount (Hell on Wheels) in the lead role. :)

X-O Manowar - This title just continues to blow me away. To use the phrase "You had me at Hello", when X-O debuted Valiant's return, the artwork and storyline drew me back in hook line and sinker. I class this title as the premier title in Valiant's stable. Why isn't there an X-O movie in the works yet? One of the comic titles out of all the publishers that I cannot wait to take home and read.

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Archer & Armstrong and Harbinger for me. Van Lente and Dysart have consistently delivered the most entertaining and world building tales.

X-O and Unity next. Both are brimming with potential in the face of Armor Hunters, and I really believe Kindt has a long game in store for us with Unity.

Rai gets an honorable mention at this point. One issue in, but what an issue!!

Bloodshot & HC and Quantum & Woody next. Enjoy both very much, just not my "Valiant Firsts" each month.

Last... Shadowman and Eternal Warrior. Trying to like them, but I think the writing is just not grooving with me. Being a Valiant devotee, I will stick by them and hope.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Harbinger & X-O

:thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;