Who will replace Clayton Crain on Rai?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Who will replace Clayton Crain on Rai?

Post by Sven the Returned »

If i read the interview correctly he will be gone after the first arc.
Who would you want? I would prefer Chris Scalf who has a somewhat similar style.

Who would you prefer?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Stjepan Sejic

Adding some screenshots to demonstrate his awesomeness:

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Who will replace Clayton Crain on Rai?

Post by Ramses818 »

To start off with they keep mentioning that he's going to be around for a long time. So they may alternate arcs? I don't really know as far as the replacements who would be good. But of the artist's suggested so far I don't really know Chris work at all but Sejic does not have the backgrounds of Crain and I think that would really hurt the book.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Rob Liefeld
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

My understanding is that Crain will not be going anywhere

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Phoenix8008 »

betterthanezra wrote:My understanding is that Crain will not be going anywhere

-Brian
But can he really keep up with that level of artwork every month? I thought he might do every other arc as well to give him enough lead time to keep up. We'll see.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai

Post by Ramses818 »

I definitely believe he can keep up with the artwork. He has been on monthly titles before. And he had a real good lead time for this project. So until I hear otherwise I will presume that he's going to be on the title.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Ramses818 wrote:I definitely believe he can keep up with the artwork. He has been on monthly titles before. And he had a real good lead time for this project. So until I hear otherwise I will presume that he's going to be on the title.
Don't get me wrong. I'm fervantly hoping that he stays on the title and can keep up as well. His artwork is just so gorgeous that I imaging it takes longer than the standard time for most comics to complete it.
Viva la Valiant!

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Ramses818 wrote:I definitely believe he can keep up with the artwork. He has been on monthly titles before. And he had a real good lead time for this project. So until I hear otherwise I will presume that he's going to be on the title.
Don't get me wrong. I'm fervantly hoping that he stays on the title and can keep up as well. His artwork is just so gorgeous that I imaging it takes longer than the standard time for most comics to complete it.
This is the quote from Dinesh from the State of Valiant article at Inside Pulse.
DINESH: Clayton’s well ahead in the book. He’s going to do the entire first arc. We have some interesting stuff coming up after that. And you’ll be seeing more of Clayton Crain on Rai. Definitely.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Phoenix8008 wrote:

Well, he did my sketch cover painting of the Bleeding Monk in two days in addition to a bunch of other commissions. It's quality was not much below his actual production in an actual comic and he was painting it old school by hand with actual paint - I would assume the digital painting speeds him up a little more. From talking to him on the last day and seeing him work on it, I think he actually did the majority of my cover that day at the con while talking/signing/sketching for others who visited him at his booth.

It's weird, I would say he and Stjepan Sejic have some of the most detailed artwork in comics, but they both seem to be able to output a lot of material compared to other artists who draw with far less detail. I don't think either of them ever stop drawing. I never saw Crain not painting while at his booth. While he was painting my cover, he had palette in one hand and brush in the other working on my cover. When someone came up and wanted a signature or quick sketch, he just grabbed a different brush and signed their comic with it and then went immediately back to painting my cover, all the while talking to fans.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

iwantvaliant wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
This is the quote from Dinesh from the State of Valiant article at Inside Pulse.
DINESH: Clayton’s well ahead in the book. He’s going to do the entire first arc. We have some interesting stuff coming up after that. And you’ll be seeing more of Clayton Crain on Rai. Definitely.
See, that doesn't sound to me like it's firm that he will be doing ALL of the Rai issues. He's doing the entire first arc. Check. We'll see more of him on Rai. Check. They have some interesting stuff coming up after the first arc. That could be anything. But he's not saying that Crain WILL be the artist for the second arc. Nothing saying that he won't be though. I'm just trying to read through the doublespeak, ya know?
Viva la Valiant!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

A good way to give Crain some time might be to have Kindt do a stand-alone issue here or there. A very different style, but considering he is the writer and has a following for his art, it could work.

Otherwise, maybe they could bring back Arturo Lozzi. He did several parts of the initial Bloodshot arcs and multiple VEI covers. He is also another digital artist: http://www.arturolozzi.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

i don't think there has been a book yet in which an artist did 2 straight arc's

I think this is part of VEI's strategy to ensure that they always ship on time

So i would fully expect a different artist on the next arc .. with Crain possibly coming back for the 3rd arc or #0 issue?? :hm:

My pick for the 2nd arc (out of the artists that have already worked with VEI)

Hairsine - I liked his variant cover alot. He is not as detailed as Crain obviously but he can deliver great action and give Rai a grittier feel ... but he might be too busy with armor hunters

Pere Perez - just delivers every time - clean and expressive. Probably will be available as current A&A arc will be wrapping up at the same time Rai's 1st arc wraps up.

Artists outside VEI?

David Aja would be a dream

and obviously the artists posted in this thread are incredibly gifted and compliment Crain's work .. but I have a feeling VEI would want a different look and feel for the 2nd arc.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

iwantvaliant

Post by iwantvaliant »

bygranddesign wrote:i don't think there has been a book yet in which an artist did 2 straight arc's
Only Manuel Garcia who did the first two arcs of Bloodshot, and he had assist from Lozzi in the first arc, and he didn't draw #7.

Zircher started the second arc of Shadowman, but then got scooped up by DC.

I think it is verrrrry unlikely that we will see Crain doing (complete) interiors on #5. It would be cool if I were proven wrong though.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

erwinrafael
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

lorddunlow wrote:It's weird, I would say he and Stjepan Sejic have some of the most detailed artwork in comics, but they both seem to be able to output a lot of material compared to other artists who draw with far less detail. I don't think either of them ever stop drawing. I never saw Crain not painting while at his booth. While he was painting my cover, he had palette in one hand and brush in the other working on my cover. When someone came up and wanted a signature or quick sketch, he just grabbed a different brush and signed their comic with it and then went immediately back to painting my cover, all the while talking to fans.
It's because most of the slow artists in the biz take a lot of time in putting a lot of thought in the layouts. Details are easy for a lot of artists, it's the layouts that are hard.

While Clayton Crain's artwork looks beautiful because of the detail, he is seriously lacking in the storytelling department. One of the worst among VEI artists. In the first page alone, the panel layouts are a mess because it does not guide the reader where to look to follow the story. There are really a lot of bad storytelling approaches, like the irrational use of white spaces in page 5, the descending panel layouts in page 7 while depicting sectors going up, the inexplicable close-up to the gun in the second to the last panel in page 10, and the worst panel in page 16 where Rai appears to be launching towards Spylocke but was actually going to the side.

Compare that to David Aja, who is notoriously slow but whose storytelling is almost perfect (as this feature regularly shows: http://atollcomics.blogspot.ca/search/label/David%20Aja" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Here's one analysis of how Aja's art just flows to tell a story:

Clayton Crain's art is promising but he really needs guidance on how to draw to tell a story. Maybe he can learn from the best storytellers in VEI's stable: Pere Perez, Clayton Henry and Cary Nord.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

bygranddesign wrote:i don't think there has been a book yet in which an artist did 2 straight arc's

I think this is part of VEI's strategy to ensure that they always ship on time

So i would fully expect a different artist on the next arc .. with Crain possibly coming back for the 3rd arc or #0 issue?? :hm:

My pick for the 2nd arc (out of the artists that have already worked with VEI)

Hairsine - I liked his variant cover alot. He is not as detailed as Crain obviously but he can deliver great action and give Rai a grittier feel ... but he might be too busy with armor hunters

Pere Perez - just delivers every time - clean and expressive. Probably will be available as current A&A arc will be wrapping up at the same time Rai's 1st arc wraps up.

Artists outside VEI?

David Aja would be a dream

and obviously the artists posted in this thread are incredibly gifted and compliment Crain's work .. but I have a feeling VEI would want a different look and feel for the 2nd arc.
I've mentioned this before, but seeing Cary Nord do an entire arc, utilizing the same style shown in X-O #19, would be awesome. While it would be a big departure from Crain's style, I still think it would fit Rai.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

erwinrafael wrote:
Clayton Crain's art is promising but he really needs guidance on how to draw to tell a story. Maybe he can learn from the best storytellers in VEI's stable: Pere Perez, Clayton Henry and Cary Nord.
I love David Aja ... and those VEI artists ... but I think Crain takes a back seat to no one. He put his heart and soul into those Rai pages - the level of detail is astonishing .. and the page layouts were quite inventive. I think any young artist who has ambition to draw in comics should take some layout classes from Aja .. but get your Masters in Crain's digital art class.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

lorddunlow wrote:
It's weird, I would say he and Stjepan Sejic have some of the most detailed artwork in comics, but they both seem to be able to output a lot of material compared to other artists who draw with far less detail. I don't think either of them ever stop drawing.
Back in October Clayton told me he usually works about an average of 10 hours a day, 6 days a week except for Saturdays.. which he "takes a break".. and what is that break to him??.. going out to a live model life art class where he draws/paints for hours. :lol:

He also said he was planning on doing "a lot" of work in 2014 to help prepare for some other things he'd like to work on after that. So I have no doubt we will see lots of great stuff from him probably being released over the next 12 months, hopefully primarily at Valiant. :hope:
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

I'm not a huge fan of the painted look. I wouldn't mind seeing an artist who has a more traditional aesthetic with a heavy painted undertone.

Crain is a good artist. I wouldn't mind seeing more of his work in VEI books. but i agree his story telling is week compared to his drawing ability. also i feel his pages are dark (but this could be a printer issue)

as for traditional art taking longer than digital it it's actually quit the opposite. when painting or drawing traditionally you have limited tools and for the most part undoing what has been done comes at a cost so it's usually avoided. when working digitally you have millions of colors and a scary amount of tools. this coupled with unlimited editing (undo can be a time killer) and your time has been sucked away.

I assume artists like crain have figured out systems and limit their digi tools in order to produce art quicker.

also here's a free art lesson: detail does not alway equal good. bad artist (NOT talking about crain here) tend to use detail to hide lack of skill. the fewer details a painting/ cartoon/ comic/ movie/ etc have the harder it is to do because every decision counts.

sorry you got me started on art.

Aram
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

bygranddesign wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:
I love David Aja ... and those VEI artists ... but I think Crain takes a back seat to no one. He put his heart and soul into those Rai pages - the level of detail is astonishing .. and the page layouts were quite inventive. I think any young artist who has ambition to draw in comics should take some layout classes from Aja .. but get your Masters in Crain's digital art class.
I think I've said this before, but I completely agree and I think Crain is still just getting started to hit his stride and is set on the road to become one of the legends of this era.

I honestly don't get what people are saying about Crain's story telling. That's the writer's job, unless You're named Bob Hall. :thumb:
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Aram wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:
I think I've said this before, but I completely agree and I think Crain is still just getting started to hit his stride and is set on the road to become one of the legends of this era.

I honestly don't get what people are saying about Crain's story telling. That's the writer's job, unless You're named Bob Hall. :thumb:
+1

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I'd love to see this guy work on Rai -

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/04/tomcat-brothers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I hope he makes a comic out of his two brothers idea
Multum In Parvo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

The Dirt Gang wrote:I'd love to see this guy work on Rai -

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/04/tomcat-brothers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, that's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

lorddunlow wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:I'd love to see this guy work on Rai -

Well, that's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

Indeed! :thumb: I'd like to buy a print for my two boys room.
Multum In Parvo

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

Aram wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:

Writer/artist relationships in comics are a tricky thing, because who does what can vary depending on the relationship. Look at it this way: the writer's job is to create a story, and the artist's job is to present that story to the reader visually. It's in the gap between those two things, how a story is presented visually, where the relationship or collaborative method comes into play. For example, a writer can say that on page 16, there's going to be brawl between Aram and Gilad. In one case, the writer might provide little additional info other than where things need to be at the end of that fight, leaving it to the artist to interpret that as he/she sees fit, or the writer can give a panel by panel breakdown, including exactly what camera angle to use, how the scene should be lit, etc. Most relationships fall somewhere in the middle, I imagine, with information on what's going on in each panel, but maybe leaving things like camera angles or light sources to the artist's discretion, unless it's something that crucial to the plot. So there is some story-telling responsibilities on the artist's part, which is probably a good thing, as I imagine most artists would get bored with having their work strictly dictated.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.