Who will replace Clayton Crain on Rai?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Who will replace Clayton Crain on Rai?

Post by hunter_peterson »

kjjohanson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=302760479884328

(ugh, nasty Facebook link... I feel dirty)

Seems Crain has just now finished #3. Definitely needs that hiatus, I would say. I honestly don't care how long it takes to keep him the only artist on the series. I really hope VEI continues this trend with all of the main titles.
Day-um. When is 4 due to ship? Might this be the first late book.
I think he has two months, nearly. Which is long enough for Crain to get it done, I'd reckon, given his average speed. And with Kindt being so insanely fast at writing, I'd be shocked if he doesn't already have the script to five. Crain generally takes about as long as JH Williams, so about nine issues a year.

I like that they're preserving the main book, but minis set in 4001 would be fantastic bridges for the arcs, I think! They should totally get on that.

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

So happy Crain is the only artist on Rai. Kudos to Valiant for having the balls to take a few months off to keep it "his" book.

Just imagine a hardcover full of three Rai arcs, ALL by Kindt and Crain! #QualityFirst
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

RogueJedi74
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar (Old) / Rai (New)
Favorite title: X-O (Old) / Harbinger (New)
Favorite writer: N/A
Favorite artist: N/A

Post by RogueJedi74 »

Carson wrote:So happy Crain is the only artist on Rai. Kudos to Valiant for having the balls to take a few months off to keep it "his" book.

Just imagine a hardcover full of three Rai arcs, ALL by Kindt and Crain! #QualityFirst
+1 Rai art is some of best I have ever seen. Love the story and can't wait to see how the first arc wraps up.

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Carson wrote:So happy Crain is the only artist on Rai. Kudos to Valiant for having the balls to take a few months off to keep it "his" book.

I think it's a great idea. I wish more books would do this.
Multum In Parvo

Captain Craig
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

When I heard the news of the hiatus to allow Crain time for the second arc I instantly jumped to this conclusion as well. That come March '15 another 3month break will, hopefully(odd to think that way, right?), happen. Rai will return July '15 with issue#9 and that Spring '16 a Rai OHC Deluxe of the first 'year' of Rai will be solicited!!

With any luck we won't have to think about who replaces Crain till at least summer '15 and if Crain & VEI are both happy with the working relationship maybe not then??

Carson

Post by Carson »

Captain Craig wrote:

When I heard the news of the hiatus to allow Crain time for the second arc I instantly jumped to this conclusion as well. That come March '15 another 3month break will, hopefully(odd to think that way, right?), happen. Rai will return July '15 with issue#9 and that Spring '16 a Rai OHC Deluxe of the first 'year' of Rai will be solicited!!

With any luck we won't have to think about who replaces Crain till at least summer '15 and if Crain & VEI are both happy with the working relationship maybe not then??
I sure hope so! The book is amazing and I hope the readership stays on board or grows even. This could be Valiant's runaway hit. It is so different than anything on the shelves. :clap:

RogueJedi74
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar (Old) / Rai (New)
Favorite title: X-O (Old) / Harbinger (New)
Favorite writer: N/A
Favorite artist: N/A

Post by RogueJedi74 »

hunter_peterson wrote:I think he has two months, nearly. Which is long enough for Crain to get it done, I'd reckon, given his average speed. And with Kindt being so insanely fast at writing, I'd be shocked if he doesn't already have the script to five. Crain generally takes about as long as JH Williams, so about nine issues a year.

I like that they're preserving the main book, but minis set in 4001 would be fantastic bridges for the arcs, I think! They should totally get on that.
I talked with Matt at Herocon and he said he had 16 books queued up. Not sure how much they close they are to being done but hopefully that is a good sign that Rai is here to stay.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Captain Craig wrote:

This would be great news!

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

FormerReader wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:

Guess I'm the pessimist here. I'd rather have a book a month.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Whoever is doing the Honorverse comic would also be a nice fit.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

ilzuccone wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:

I'd rather have a book a month as well, IF Crain could do his work that fast. Since it's slower than that, I'm willing to wait.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

ilzuccone wrote:
In the case of RAI w/Crain art with Kindt's plotting I'm willing to take quality over quantity in this particular case.

I'd ideally like a monthly book for nearly anything else as well. This is an exception to the rule and it seems the fandom at least largely understands that.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

Captain Craig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
In the case of RAI w/Crain art with Kindt's plotting I'm willing to take quality over quantity in this particular case.

I'd ideally like a monthly book for nearly anything else as well. This is an exception to the rule and it seems the fandom at least largely understands that.
i'm not a big fan of the art. I can see where you all are coming from tho. if i was in love with the art i'd wait until the second coming if i had to.