Is anyone just buying Trades and not single issues?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
Re: Is anyone just buying Trades and not single issues?

Post by The Dirt Gang »

ilzuccone wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
ilzuccone wrote: I've noticed eyestrain on both iphone and ipad though. not sure if it was from working all day on the computer then coming home and reading comics in the dark until 2am.
That's my concern. I'm on a computer all day and it's not uncommon to come home with eye strain. I do love all the digital sales and it seems like a good way to stock up on books.
can't really pinpoint the cause of my eyestrain yet. doesn't happen every time. you should download some free books and give it a try. I must say i do enjoy reading on my iPad. the panel by panel view lets me enjoy the art more.

do you buy any of the marvel books with the free digi download? that's a good place to start.
I'll check it out. I've yet to actually buy any digital books. What app do you use for your iPad?
Multum In Parvo

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
ilzuccone wrote: I've noticed eyestrain on both iphone and ipad though. not sure if it was from working all day on the computer then coming home and reading comics in the dark until 2am.
That's my concern. I'm on a computer all day and it's not uncommon to come home with eye strain. I do love all the digital sales and it seems like a good way to stock up on books.
can't really pinpoint the cause of my eyestrain yet. doesn't happen every time. you should download some free books and give it a try. I must say i do enjoy reading on my iPad. the panel by panel view lets me enjoy the art more.

do you buy any of the marvel books with the free digi download? that's a good place to start.
I'll check it out. I've yet to actually buy any digital books. What app do you use for your iPad?
comixology is pretty much the only way to go. DC marvel and image have their own apps. but i'm pretty much sure it's just he comixology software with a marvel skin.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I'm still supporting Valiant by buying all titles, all covers. However, it's tough sometimes to find reading time with a busy job and two kids. I prefer paper copies, but honestly, I'd consume more if they offered a free digital copy with the paper.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Single issues with the odd variant for me, and trying to get the VEI HC's as they come out (I am a little behind). The HC's are great for re-reading for me, so convenience plus supporting VEI from my perpsective.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:I'm still supporting Valiant by buying all titles, all covers. However, it's tough sometimes to find reading time with a busy job and two kids. I prefer paper copies, but honestly, I'd consume more if they offered a free digital copy with the paper.
How could you consumer more than "all titles, all covers"?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Carson
Is anyone just buying Trades and not single issues?

Post by Carson »

I'm buying singles of all books, sometimes multiple covers if I love them and they're not too pricey.

I'm also buying all trades and all hardcovers.

So far, 90% of the time I've read the singles before the trade is released. I stay pretty up to date. Books like XO, Unity and Harbinger are read as soon as I buy them... They're just that good.

If I gave up floppies, I'd be dying to know what's happening in my favorite books.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

kjjohanson wrote:
nycjadie wrote:I'm still supporting Valiant by buying all titles, all covers. However, it's tough sometimes to find reading time with a busy job and two kids. I prefer paper copies, but honestly, I'd consume more if they offered a free digital copy with the paper.
I'm 7 months behind in reading. I can't consume them fast enough!

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

ilzuccone wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:

comixology is pretty much the only way to go. DC marvel and image have their own apps. but i'm pretty much sure it's just he comixology software with a marvel skin.
Everyone but I believe Darkhorse and Archie go through comixology.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

nycjadie wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
I'm 7 months behind in reading. I can't consume them fast enough!
Don't feel bad, Brother. I just finished the "Planet Death" story from X-O! facepalm Part of it is time to read, but I keep getting distracted by other great books.

Michael
Mkb28

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

as we have been discussing just managed to get some more Valiant trades.

Archer and Armstrong Vol.2

Eternal Warrior Vol 1. - This was rough when you compare Gilad to A and A appearance and attitude. I'm really hoping they smooth it out when the next arc returns.

DIrishB
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ivar
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by DIrishB »

I buy the single issues digitally, so I can keep the VEI timeline as up to date and current as possible. I buy the print single issues in cases like Rai #1 and the upcoming Dr. Mirage #1 Plus editions since they contain extra material that won't be published in the trades.

But when the trades come out, I always buy those, as I'm definitely a fan of TPBs and they look nice on the shelf (along with the Rai #1 Plus edition and the Shadowman #13X issues).

I also love how quick Valiant puts out their trade collections, literally within 1-3 months after the arcs end in the single issues. It prevents people who only read the material in the trades from falling far behind. Great approach.

I wonder, as I know the sales numbers don't include the digital issues, but are trade sales reflected at all? It'd be interesting to see how the TPBs are selling.

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I've been reading Chew in TPB and it got me to thinking about trades vs. floppies. I had heard that in single issue form after issue 18 of Chew, they release issue 25 and then went back to 19 the next month. However in the trades it appears that the issue are in chronological order.

I thought this was a great idea that really can't be replicated in the trade, sure you could put issue 25 between issue 18 and 19 in the trade but I don't think it works in the same way. I remember when I was a kids and Stormwatch did this and jumped ahead to issue 25. It got me really excited for what was going to happen between the present day and that future issue.
Multum In Parvo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

The Dirt Gang wrote:I've been reading Chew in TPB and it got me to thinking about trades vs. floppies. I had heard that in single issue form after issue 18 of Chew, they release issue 25 and then went back to 19 the next month. However in the trades it appears that the issue are in chronological order.

I thought this was a great idea that really can't be replicated in the trade, sure you could put issue 25 between issue 18 and 19 in the trade but I don't think it works in the same way. I remember when I was a kids and Stormwatch did this and jumped ahead to issue 25. It got me really excited for what was going to happen between the present day and that future issue.
It was actually #27. I agree it should have been replicated in the trade. I guess it was just a little fun to be had for monthly readers.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

The Dirt Gang wrote:I've been reading Chew in TPB and it got me to thinking about trades vs. floppies. I had heard that in single issue form after issue 18 of Chew, they release issue 25 and then went back to 19 the next month. However in the trades it appears that the issue are in chronological order.

Stormwatch was the only book i bought when i was a kid. the 25 issue made my little kid brain go bonkers about the series.

seems like at that point the 25th issue being release is more like advertisement or a way to create buzz. makes sense they wouldn't do that in the trade. unless they way the did the 25th issue (27th issue?) fits into the continuity between 18 and 19. :?

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

ilzuccone wrote:

Stormwatch was the only book i bought when i was a kid. the 25 issue made my little kid brain go bonkers about the series.

seems like at that point the 25th issue being release is more like advertisement or a way to create buzz. makes sense they wouldn't do that in the trade. unless they way the did the 25th issue (27th issue?) fits into the continuity between 18 and 19. :?
It wasn't just Stormwatch; I think 3-4 Image books did the 'Images of Tomorrow ' thing IIRC.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

I was just buying trades with the odd single issue and of course digital, now I'm switching more to digital and holding out for the yearly hardcovers rather than buying trades...I still buy single paper issues though.

Basically it's a completely random hodgepodge of stuff, other than my intention to eventually own everything in hardcover.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

leonmallett wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:

It wasn't just Stormwatch; I think 3-4 Image books did the 'Images of Tomorrow ' thing IIRC.
Sounds like an interesting marketing gimmick.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

drmirage wrote:Just wanted to throw this out there for curiosity.
Are there anyone buying just trades instead of single issues for VEI.
I have actually decided to do this months ago just because it's less expensive than buying single monthly issues. (More specifically with Amazon.com's discount on trades). The price per issue is just hard to beat.
That being said, I've actually very behind on reading... ;)
Not with VALIANT I haven't. They need that monthly dollar support. So even on titles like Q&W and Shadowman, the lesser titles imo, I'm still buying them to support the company in hopes of them pursing things like Dr.Mirage and other legacy characters I want.

I've been doing the trade wait on most all of the big family character books at Marvel&DC for some time. I don't buy a single Bat book monthly nor Cap, IM, Thor, Spidey, WW, Supes or JLA. The only Avenger book I buy is Mighty cause that's a lesser roster that I feel needs the support(doesn't hurt Blade is there). Those title will NEVER cease, ever. My monthly dollar doesn't sway the production of them. My monthly dollar does possibly affect what VEI does.

So, ergo I'm behind anywhere up to a year +/- on some goings ons with the BIG characters at the dominant two houses.