Heroes Con Friday Report (Charlotte NC)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

RogueJedi74
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar (Old) / Rai (New)
Favorite title: X-O (Old) / Harbinger (New)
Favorite writer: N/A
Favorite artist: N/A
Heroes Con Friday Report (Charlotte NC)

Post by RogueJedi74 »

Had a great time in Charlotte on Friday. I have never talked with artist before so it was a new experience. When I was entering the convention I had to take the elevator to the lower level. I see a guy wearing a Shadowman shirt and it looked like an artist. Once I got to the artist tables, I realized it was Brian Reber.

Brian had some awesome prints (had to get the Harbinger Kris cover). Brian was nice enough to give me and sign a blank Unity cover because I couldn't get one in time. I also picked up a Captian America hardcover he had colored.

Next was Clayton Henry. Wow, his sketches are 2nd to none. I really wanted to get one of the original sketches for a publishes books but those items are expensive. Plus he had some many I couldn't get through them all. I ended up getting his sketchbooks.

Then I finished up with Matt Kindt. He was an absolute blast to talk to. We had a great conversation about the old vs. the new Rai and he told me that he has the story mapped our for the next 16 issues of Rai (That had me stoked). Obviously not giving a spoilers he only said that through that run there are some big reveals. He was also gracious to sign some items for me.

I wish that I could have been down for Saturday for the Valiant panel but I had other obligations. I would be great if anyone was there and can post how it was.

I ended up messing Lewis Larosa because he was finishing up some work for a deadline (Can't let those books be late)

Picture of where the Valiant guys were setup

Overall it was a great experience and it made my show. I ended up missing a couple of guys because of time and I left my list of Valiant artist in the car. Can't wait for NC Comic Con since Valiant is expected to be there. Also thanks for the great community that helps make the Valiant universe so much better.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Heroes Con Friday Report (Charlotte NC)

Post by bygranddesign »

great report :high-five:

Thanks!
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

Thanks for sharing! I've never met the guy but I would love to hang out with Matt Kindt. He's a Cardinals fan and seems ridiculously cool.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

RogueJedi74

Post by RogueJedi74 »

chriskay99 wrote:Thanks for sharing! I've never met the guy but I would love to hang out with Matt Kindt. He's a Cardinals fan and seems ridiculously cool.
Thanks! He was very open and enjoyed answering my questions. Next time I will plan on having more questions ready.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

RogueJedi74 wrote:and it looked like an artist.
Hey! Artists are people too!! :lol: :kidaround:

Thanks for sharing your experience, glad to hear you had a great time!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Thanks for sharing! :clap: That's awesome news that he ash the next 16 issues planned out. Sounds like he plans to stick around which is great news! :cloud9:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Thanks for the report and pics!

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.

Post by Tim »

I didn't make it to the panel either, but it was great seeing Henry, Larosa, Reber, Jordan, Fowler and Ming Doyle. Even got Esad Ribic to sign a few Valiant books.

Nowhere near the amount of VH1 or VEI titles in quarter or dime boxes, but I did see someone with about 3/4th of a shortbox of Bloodshot Valiant Masters Hardcovers for $5. Also picked up a Harbinger: The Beginning hardcover for $4 and some later VH1 Bloodshot issues (46, 48, 49) for a quarter each.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Tim wrote:I didn't make it to the panel either, but it was great seeing Henry, Larosa, Reber, Jordan, Fowler and Ming Doyle. Even got Esad Ribic to sign a few Valiant books.

Nowhere near the amount of VH1 or VEI titles in quarter or dime boxes, but I did see someone with about 3/4th of a shortbox of Bloodshot Valiant Masters Hardcovers for $5. Also picked up a Harbinger: The Beginning hardcover for $4 and some later VH1 Bloodshot issues (46, 48, 49) for a quarter each.
If you ever see deals like that again, by all means, let the board know (assuming you're willing to pick them up and ship them). I have only the first two collections (X-O and Harbinger), and would get the others if not for the price.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Tim

Post by Tim »

kjjohanson wrote:
Tim wrote:I didn't make it to the panel either, but it was great seeing Henry, Larosa, Reber, Jordan, Fowler and Ming Doyle. Even got Esad Ribic to sign a few Valiant books.

If you ever see deals like that again, by all means, let the board know (assuming you're willing to pick them up and ship them). I have only the first two collections (X-O and Harbinger), and would get the others if not for the price.
I picked up six of the hardcovers and gave them to friends. They were pretty much gone after the first day anyway.

Got a great Matt Kindt Rai sketch on a Unity #1 NC Comic Con Variant:

Also, my Bloodshot #46 that I picked up was a newsstand version and BY FAR the best condition on a newsstand Valiant that I've ever seen.

RogueJedi74

Post by RogueJedi74 »

I think I am going to have to go multiple days next year. The convention floor was so big I really didn't get a chance to look for any deals. Thanks for the update.

cmixer
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by cmixer »

Talked to Clayton Henry & tried to negotiate some original pages,
but yes, his final prices were still out of my range.

Like was said, Matt Kindt is awesome.

At the CBLDF there was some kind of JAM going on ...

now ... LAST YEAR Valiant had a booth & was talking about their upcoming sketch card trading card set ... what was the final decision on that?