Some love for Milligan's Shadowman

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

http://multiversitycomics.com/podcasts/ ... ames-sime/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a great interview with the owner, James Sime, of Isotope Comic Book Lounge in San Francisco. First of all, the guy has some amazing ideas on creating community and has done some really interesting projects through his shop.

Anyhow, when asked about comics he is into, he mentions Milligan's run on Shadowman (just after the 56 minute mark). He's a big Milligan fan and calls it "vintage Vertigo" and "awesome". I had lost interest in Shadowman and never picked up Milligan's run. I think I'll do so now. I used to be a big Milligan fan. Engima was a fantastic book and I was a fan of X-Statix, as well. Sime taste seems to be similar to mine and I was glad to hear such a positive reaction, since I've been on the fence about picking it up.
Multum In Parvo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Some love for Milligan's Shadowman

Post by lorddunlow »

The Dirt Gang wrote:http://multiversitycomics.com/podcasts/ ... ames-sime/

This is a great interview with the owner, James Sime, of Isotope Comic Book Lounge in San Francisco. First of all, the guy has some amazing ideas on creating community and has done some really interesting projects through his shop.

Anyhow, when asked about comics he is into, he mentions Milligan's run on Shadowman (just after the 56 minute mark). He's a big Milligan fan and calls it "vintage Vertigo" and "awesome". I had lost interest in Shadowman and never picked up Milligan's run. I think I'll do so now. I used to be a big Milligan fan. Engima was a fantastic book and I was a fan of X-Statix, as well. Sime taste seems to be similar to mine and I was glad to hear such a positive reaction, since I've been on the fence about picking it up.

Don't get your hopes up too much. I really enjoyed #13 and #14. It sorta went downhill after that and completely jumped the shark and off a cliff with the last issue of End Times.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

lorddunlow wrote: Don't get your hopes up too much. I really enjoyed #13 and #14. It sorta went downhill after that and completely jumped the shark and off a cliff with the last issue of End Times.

Thanks for dashing my optimism :cry: :lol:

The interview was from March, so maybe Sime feels the same way you do now. I do recommend listening to the interview. I'd love to be able to participate and some of his shops events.
Multum In Parvo

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

Read the first trade by Milligan and thought was 2/5. Sorry buddy
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

While I have also been up and down with VEI's Shadowman, if you haven't ready any of the issues yet Dirt Gang, I would give it a shot. Ultimately everyone takes different things from the books that they read; some love Shadowman, some don't.

If I were to recommend specific issues to check out, do the following:

Shadowman 0, 10 (the prior are essentially a two-part story) and then Milligan's 13-16

From there, if you dig what he's doing, then give the three issue "End Times" book a shot. Personally, I also like the first 9 issues of Shadowman but you can do without 11 and 12.

Let us know what you think when you've read Shadowman!
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

caxiotis wrote:Read the first trade by Milligan and thought was 2/5. Sorry buddy

JonesyAZ wrote: If I were to recommend specific issues to check out, do the following:

Shadowman 0, 10 (the prior are essentially a two-part story) and then Milligan's 13-16
I actually have issue 0 and it is probably the best book VEI has produced. That's part of why I was so disappointed with the stuff I've read. Clearly, Justin Jordan can write some great books but the rest of his run didn't do it for me. To be honest, they never made me care about this new version of Jack Boniface. In general, the response on the boards to Milligan's run hasn't seemed great, so I thought it interesting to hear Simes give it such glowing praise. I do need to pick up issue 10.
Multum In Parvo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

JonesyAZ wrote: Shadowman but you can do without 11 and 12.

Let us know what you think when you've read Shadowman!
There was no #11. I won't even believe you if you produce pictures. It does not exist.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Well, I'd still recommend you read it. I don't think you can be disappointed after everyone bashing it, right? I mean, I wasn't happy with it either.....
facepalm

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

Ok i don't understand all the hate on shadow man.
(note: i did not read the original run on the character so i don't have any of that baggage to skew my view of vei's shadow man.)

Lets take a step back and compare shadow man to every comic being produced by all the publishers. Shadow man is pretty dang good compared to most the garbage on the shelf.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:Ok i don't understand all the hate on shadow man.
(note: i did not read the original run on the character so i don't have any of that baggage to skew my view of vei's shadow man.)

Lets take a step back and compare shadow man to every comic being produced by all the publishers. Shadow man is pretty dang good compared to most the garbage on the shelf.
I enjoyed Shadowman #1-10. There were some not-so-great aspects here and there, but overall I enjoyed the series. I think it would have been great if they could have kept Justin Jordan on board in my opinion. (I know it was a mutual separation, but I think VEI pushed a little more for it than he did. I also think the thread here where it was bashed was a big factor in the decision, but that's just my unfounded speculation.)

We won't discuss what occurred between #10 and #13 - some horrors should be erased from history.

I was very excited with Milligan's run while RDLT was manning the art duties, but End Times went from bad to worse. If it continues like this, I will be dropping this book (if it ever returns) - and I didn't drop Q&W.

I mostly commented to The Dirt Gang to adjust expectations in the hopes that he might enjoy it more. This series is not awesome at all. #0 and #10 were, but not the series. End Times is 2nd arc of Q&W bad.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

It's interesting that this board has such a concentration of negativity towards Shadowman. Most of the Valiant fans I know and talk to in other places are digging it, and I have found several good reviews of End Times #3.

BTW, my best friend started picking up Q&W because of the 2nd arc. I can't imagine anyone not liking it...unless they're a gun-toting, white-supremacist separatist, in which case, ouch, that run probably stung a little.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

GammaJosh wrote:BTW, my best friend started picking up Q&W because of the 2nd arc. I can't imagine anyone not liking it...unless they're a gun-toting, white-supremacist separatist, in which case, ouch, that run probably stung a little.
Just shows different strokes for different folks. I can't imagine anyone liking it. And I'm about as opposite of a gun-toting, white-supremacist separatist as one can get. The art literally (not figuratively or hyperbolically in any way) made me nauseated. The writing of the 2nd art was not that good either, but dear god, my eyes!

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

I agree it wasn't pretty, and nowhere near the remote vicinity of my preferred comic art style, but I thought it told the story quite effectively.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Different strokes for different folks. I enjoyed Milligan's Shadowman issues. I also enjoyed Quantum and Woody right till the end (though i admit the art in the second arc was painful to read).
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Shadowman End Times 3 is AWFUL! I have enjoyed parts of Shadowman, I do like the character (esp. The redesign by Zircher!) but the ending... facepalm . 'Nuff said.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

i like how the "love for" thread turned into another "hated it" thread.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Loved it! :P

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:i like how the "love for" thread turned into another "hated it" thread.
Sorry about that. :oops:

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:i like how the "love for" thread turned into another "hated it" thread.
Sorry about that. :oops:
Oh no problem. it was inevitable. there was no malice in that statement.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

I think Milligan's run got off to a great start ... and I think Shadowman: End Times had some good ideas with the ending setting us up towards an interesting new direction.

But there is definitely some issues with the execution of those ideas and a lot of implausibility and a lot of Jack acting like an unlikable brat.

Making him "bad" though actually might be a pretty ingenious way of making him "likable". If he starts showing up in books as a "villain" that would be fun. Unity vs. Master Darque and Shadowman? :hm:

I do wish that they just continued with the normal numbering instead of making a mini-series ... because I think it failed to boost sales.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I had high hopes for Milligan's run, it just never seemed to find it's footing. Shadowman #0 & #10 are still IMO the best issue's in the run as a whole...
#StayValiant

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

For me there was way too many twists on the Jack character thrown around by Milligan that what seemed the central purpose of his run actually created a bigger problem.

A wasted opportunity IMHO. On balance, I think the damage wrought by Milligan in 8 issues exceeded harm of the arguably insufficient development in the preceding 13 issues.

If VEI have a get-out already planned for the ending of End Times, then great, if not, then I ask this: what was the point of Shadowman as an ongoing then <ahem> 'prestige' mini series? Because that ending of Shadowman: End Times just felt incredibly forced to say the least.

VALIANT is not Marvel nor DC, and neither should they try to be a bad pastiche of Vertigo (and the irony that a Vertigo stalwart produced this is not lost on me).
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Thanks for all the honest reactions. Clearly, it's a polarizing book. :D

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Well, I'd still recommend you read it. I don't think you can be disappointed after everyone bashing it, right? I mean, I wasn't happy with it either.....
facepalm

This is very true! :lol:
Multum In Parvo

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

I was expecting a very good run, this is the guy that wrote one of the best Batman tales (DN,DC), an horror-story set in the superhero world.
This book should fit like a glove. Put RDLT on it and HOW CAN IT FAIL?

It did. I don't know wth happened but between the rushed ending of his first arc and this poor excuse for a mini (literally) I am completely uninterested in reading about this Shadowman.
I'm glad it's on hiatus and I hope that his return will be better. Worse, I doubt it can be. They need to set a plan for at least 2 awesome years of stories to make me forget the frustration of wanting this book to be as good as Bloodshot, at least (for a random example OF A NOT-MY-TOP-3 books, but still good reads every month)

So, let's wait and see. I trust VEI that they will FIX this character and series. It just might take more time than everyone expected, since he's one of their primary TOP characters. imho.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

lorddunlow wrote: (I know it was a mutual separation, but I think VEI pushed a little more for it than he did. I also think the thread here where it was bashed was a big factor in the decision, but that's just my unfounded speculation.)
This is board is sort of like a test audience. A lot of companies pay good money for this kind of feedback. It would not be surprising at all if this were true.
ShadowTuga wrote: I am completely uninterested in reading about this Shadowman.
I read up until about issue 8 or 9 and that was the biggest problem for me. This Shadowman was uninteresting. When Jordan wrote about the Darque family it was great but it just seemed like they didn't know quite what do to with Jack. Maybe an apropos tagline would have been, "You don't know Jack" hehe :D
Multum In Parvo