Thoughts on Shadowman: End Times #3 (no spoilers)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Thoughts on Shadowman: End Times #3 (no spoilers)

Post by Tim »

Two questions:

1. This book moved 5,826 copies. Being generous and saying that 1500 of those are buying the book based on Milligan's name alone is it safe to say that 4000 or so is close to the number of readers who are "all-in" with Valiant Comics and will buy anything they put out?

2. That's a low-*SQUEE* print run. Is there any chance of this becoming a VH2 Armorines #4 type thing in the future? It's about twice the print run but is anyone giving any thought to hoarding these?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Thoughts on Shadowman: End Times #3 (no spoilers)

Post by lorddunlow »

Tim wrote:Two questions:

1. This book moved 5,826 copies. Being generous and saying that 1500 of those are buying the book based on Milligan's name alone is it safe to say that 4000 or so is close to the number of readers who are "all-in" with Valiant Comics and will buy anything they put out?

2. That's a low-*SQUEE* print run. Is there any chance of this becoming a VH2 Armorines #4 type thing in the future? It's about twice the print run but is anyone giving any thought to hoarding these?

I like your thinking. Way to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. :high-five:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

rkjock1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre

Post by rkjock1 »

If you mean print buyers? It's possible, but discounts those who generally like Shadowman (shocking, I know,) and don't buy say, Archer and Armstrong. So, if your numbers are accurate, the number is lower than 4000.

That's a low-*SQUEE* print run. Is there any chance of this becoming a VH2 Armorines #4 type thing in the future? It's about twice the print run but is anyone giving any thought to hoarding these?
Only if, at some point, Shadowman becomes desirable. As of right now, it seems very unlikely.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

1. - yes fair assumption

2. Possibly it may rise in value purely for scarcity, definitely not for quality. There's so many more better books than that one which (if based on quality) would rise in price! That said, the only books I imagine will actually rise in price are first appearances of new characters (who later become very popular) rather than rebooted properties.

Magnus9178
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz

Post by Magnus9178 »

Scarcity will always push the value of a book up, that's a given. You just need to wait for it to clear out of the dollar bins.

The story value of this book will depend greatly on whether or not Milligan continues to write for the book. He’s a top name writer and has expressed further plans for Shadowman, but if sales never picked up. The low sales may be why VEI is stepping away from Shadowman for a while. Hopefully we can see Milligan come back to continue the ongoing series or at least let him expand his story in another mini. If that happens and his story picks up in popularity then End Times #3 will definitely shoot up in value.