VALIANT goes DRM free

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
VALIANT goes DRM free

Post by BugsySig »

http://comicbastards.com/valiant-entert ... -releases/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: VALIANT goes DRM free

Post by lorddunlow »

Awesome news, although I've never heard of Drive Through Comics.

Wonder if this will eventually lead to the Comixology issues being DRM-free?
Last edited by lorddunlow on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:58:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:Awesome news, although I've never heard of Drive Through Comics.
I checked out the site. Pretty standard. I suspect this should lead to DRM free back ups on Comixology shortly.

Also no reason why they shouldn't offer it themselves eventually through their own website like Image.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Awesome news, although I've never heard of Drive Through Comics.
I checked out the site. Pretty standard. I suspect this should lead to DRM free back ups on Comixology shortly.

Also no reason why they shouldn't offer it themselves eventually through their own website like Image.
:lol: You pretty much added what I did while I was editing my post.

I need to check out the site. .cbz included or just .pdf?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Dino replied to my Tweet of enthusiasm about this news with "Just the start too!"

So, I'd say DRM-free at Comixology is not far behind. Probably have a timed exclusive period with Drive Through (which is PDF only - ugh).

Funny thing, is I've gone from despising Comixology to being quite fond of their service now that they don't require DRM. They put the ball in the publisher's court.

ValiantCentral
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: July 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by ValiantCentral »

I would suspect DRM free on Comixology is coming. Drive Thru seems cool but I'm kind of stuck on Comixology right now. Despite its problems, I still think it's the best solution. Good on them for bringing other guys on board, and I agree with the above, take a page from Image and just sell direct from the site as well.

PDF only is a start at least.
Valiant Database, up to date information on all VEI books and titles
Ivar's Longbox - a look back at books from VH1 and Acclaim
Valiant Central Podcast - a weekly discussion of the Valiant universe

RogueJedi74
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar (Old) / Rai (New)
Favorite title: X-O (Old) / Harbinger (New)
Favorite writer: N/A
Favorite artist: N/A

Post by RogueJedi74 »

Good news for the fans! :clap:

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

DRM-anything is nothing more than a tail-pipe up the backside of the consumer. I think VEI should have had an online store at the outset where readers could buy DRM-free issues at a discount. $1.50 to MAYBE 2 bucks an issue. It's not like it's a physical product that will increase in value. One digital file on a server, including bandwidth costs. :?

Good news and a long time coming. Very good job that VEI is leading the path towards a logical, digital future. :thumb:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

david_albuq wrote:DRM-anything is nothing more than a tail-pipe up the backside of the consumer. I think VEI should have had an online store at the outset where readers could buy DRM-free issues at a discount. $1.50 to MAYBE 2 bucks an issue. It's not like it's a physical product that will increase in value. One digital file on a server, including bandwidth costs. :?

Good news and a long time coming. Very good job that VEI is leading the path towards a logical, digital future. :thumb:
Because they, and other publishers, believe, right or wrong, that offering DRM Free at a discount will hurt paper sales and therefore the bottom line. I can't speak to whether it would or would not.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:
david_albuq wrote:DRM-anything is nothing more than a tail-pipe up the backside of the consumer. I think VEI should have had an online store at the outset where readers could buy DRM-free issues at a discount. $1.50 to MAYBE 2 bucks an issue. It's not like it's a physical product that will increase in value. One digital file on a server, including bandwidth costs. :?

Because they, and other publishers, believe, right or wrong, that offering DRM Free at a discount will hurt paper sales and therefore the bottom line. I can't speak to whether it would or would not.
Not that I entirely agree with paying the same price for a digital copy as a physical one, but there are different costs associated with it that aren't part of printing costs - I would imagine the difference in that portion of the overall cost to produce a comic book is relatively negligible.

Drive Thru is a fairly big RPG download site (for traditional rpg pdf's, not video games), I think that's a great spot to start out with for Valiant in terms of the Drive Thru comic branch. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AnthonyF
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by AnthonyF »

So.... what happens to their relationship with Comixology. :hm: I don't want cut off from all the comics in my comixology library. :o

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

AnthonyF wrote:So.... what happens to their relationship with Comixology. :hm: I don't want cut off from all the comics in my comixology library. :o

All this stuff is happening (MadeFire, DriveThru, etc.) because their exclusivity agreement with Comixology has expired. This shouldn't affect Comixology availability at all. It will likely lead to DRM-free with Comixology and possibly availability through other venues.

I would say the DRM-free files with DriveThru are also now under an exclusivity agreement that would likely benefit DriveThru more than VEI (increased visibility of a company that I'm pretty sure no one - except RPG players - knows about).

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

I doubt Valiant went exclusive, but maybe Drive Thru got first rights for a while, but there are no more exclusives out there. I think publishers learned their lesson already, and need as much exposure on as many different platforms as possible. A move like this will help other publishers stray from Comixlogy as well, and help provide more competition in the marketplace, and hopefully a better overall reading experience.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I doubt Valiant went exclusive, but maybe Drive Thru got first rights for a while, but there are no more exclusives out there. I think publishers learned their lesson already, and need as much exposure on as many different platforms as possible. A move like this will help other publishers stray from Comixlogy as well, and help provide more competition in the marketplace, and hopefully a better overall reading experience.
I meant a timed exclusivity agreement - "first rights" - whatever you want to call it.

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

I love my physical books, but could see why I'd like digital comics as well. If there was some kind of bundle agreement I might by both, but I can't justify it right now with current prices.

DRM free Valiant titles is a step closer to getting me to try out digital comics. Heck, pretty much everything I read is Valiant or Image (with the rare Marvel title). Valiant and Image are both DRM free now so maybe that's a big hint to try out digital comics.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Intrepidxc wrote:I love my physical books, but could see why I'd like digital comics as well. If there was some kind of bundle agreement I might by both, but I can't justify it right now with current prices.

DRM free Valiant titles is a step closer to getting me to try out digital comics. Heck, pretty much everything I read is Valiant or Image (with the rare Marvel title). Valiant and Image are both DRM free now so maybe that's a big hint to try out digital comics.
Or you could try this with no risk or cost (unless you're an iOS guy).

Intrepidxc
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

lorddunlow wrote:
Intrepidxc wrote:I love my physical books, but could see why I'd like digital comics as well. If there was some kind of bundle agreement I might by both, but I can't justify it right now with current prices.

Sadly, I am an iOS guy.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Intrepidxc wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Sadly, I am an iOS guy.
Then it is just the minimal cost of the app.