VALIANT November 2014 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
VALIANT November 2014 Solicitations

Post by BugsySig »

http://www.newsarama.com/21914-valiant- ... tions.html

So we get a new member of Unity and no harbinger in November. Though Faith does guest star in Unity.

But we do get...Punk Mambo #0?!? Not sure how I feel about that. I know many of us would like some background on the character, and I suppose this means she could play a larger role in the future.

Also some new covers we haven't seen before. A (well colored) Cary Nord EW: Days of Steel cover, A&A: The One Percent mask covers, and some nice Bloodshot variants for issue #25.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: VALIANT November 2014 Solicitations

Post by bygranddesign »

Yep ... definitely surprised not to see a Harbinger title this month - never expected a month off for Dysart. I'd have to expect something big from him in December.

The Punk Mambo is a nice surprise. I'm all for expanding the universe and putting a spotlight on a new character - so i'm pretty excited about this.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

bygranddesign wrote:The Punk Mambo is a nice surprise. I'm all for expanding the universe and putting a spotlight on a new character - so i'm pretty excited about this.
Agreed, and hoping we might get some hint as to future Shadowman plans!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Keith wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:The Punk Mambo is a nice surprise. I'm all for expanding the universe and putting a spotlight on a new character - so i'm pretty excited about this.
I thought the same thing. I'm looking forward to a new character book. This will be the first wholly new property, right? I'll be skeptically optimistic about its success.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

nycjadie wrote:
Keith wrote:
I thought the same thing. I'm looking forward to a new character book. This will be the first wholly new property, right? I'll be skeptically optimistic about its success.
Bleeding Monk is completely new.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

nycjadie wrote:
Keith wrote:
I think its a one shot deal - like Bleeding Monk #0 and A&A: One Percent(both new properties that got their own book). So I don't think there is much risk involved.

I think they are just building up the foundation of these new characters in the hopes of creating a recognizable and successful property down the line. Same some sort of strategy with Gen Zero being the focus of Armor Hunters: Harbinger and putting Livewire in Unity (although she was an old Valiant character she is pretty much new as she has been completely re-imagined). Also building up a huge event around brand new characters (The Armor Hunters) - Another way of building up new properties that will hopefully pay off down the line..

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

bygranddesign wrote:Yep ... definitely surprised not to see a Harbinger title this month - never expected a month off for Dysart. I'd have to expect something big from him in December.

The Punk Mambo is a nice surprise. I'm all for expanding the universe and putting a spotlight on a new character - so i'm pretty excited about this.
Maybe Dysart will have some time off because he has been putting out two books a month for quite some time now. :)

Best news for me here is Clayton doing X-O. We have not seen that before. It also means that Clayton would most likely not be the artist for the next Dysart book. So, would it be Mico with Dysart?

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

At the Supercon panel I went to ... it was mentioned that there would be a Livewire mini-series. Not sure how concrete that was .. but maybe Dysart will come back in December with both a New Harbinger title + a Livewire mini.. :hm:

p-s manowar
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti, Kindt, Dysart
Favorite artist: Henry, Bernard, CAFU

Post by p-s manowar »

A lot of exciting stuff, x-o manowar bloodshot & unity sound awesome. But it looks like less and less ongoing very month and more mini series/ one shot. Would like for the ongoing books to stop going on hiatus and just add 2-3 books for the mini series a month come on the first 2yrs had one miniseries (harbinger war) now they're coming out of the woodwork sacrificing the ongoings.

p-s manowar

Post by p-s manowar »

erwinrafael wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:Yep ... definitely surprised not to see a Harbinger title this month - never expected a month off for Dysart. I'd have to expect something big from him in December.

Maybe Dysart will have some time off because he has been putting out two books a month for quite some time now. :)

Best news for me here is Clayton doing X-O. We have not seen that before. It also means that Clayton would most likely not be the artist for the next Dysart book. So, would it be Mico with Dysart?
I believe it said Diego Bernard is the artist and there was an interview Venditti done about the armorines story arc which said Bernard was artist. So who knows?

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

Yeah, Diego is the artist for XO still

Clayton is just doing the covers

X-O MANOWAR #30
Written by ROBERT VENDITTI
Art by DIEGO BERNARD

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

erwinrafael wrote:

Mico did say he was working on something big for VEI. Anything that these 2 can do together will be awesome: I speculate a Monk mini on the way. :P

I'd personally love to see Clayton Henry doing at least one arc for each ip- his Shadowman sketch's still lingering in my mind... :D
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

bygranddesign wrote:Yeah, Diego is the artist for XO still

Clayton is just doing the covers

X-O MANOWAR #30
Written by ROBERT VENDITTI
Art by DIEGO BERNARD
Awww, I misread it. :( would love for Clayton to have an arc for every core book.

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

p-s manowar wrote:A lot of exciting stuff, x-o manowar bloodshot & unity sound awesome. But it looks like less and less ongoing very month and more mini series/ one shot. Would like for the ongoing books to stop going on hiatus and just add 2-3 books for the mini series a month come on the first 2yrs had one miniseries (harbinger war) now they're coming out of the woodwork sacrificing the ongoings.
I thinl the series of minis are really just to solve the monthly attrition. It really is hard to revive the sales of an ongoing.

p-s manowar

Post by p-s manowar »

erwinrafael wrote:
p-s manowar wrote:A lot of exciting stuff, x-o manowar bloodshot & unity sound awesome. But it looks like less and less ongoing very month and more mini series/ one shot. Would like for the ongoing books to stop going on hiatus and just add 2-3 books for the mini series a month come on the first 2yrs had one miniseries (harbinger war) now they're coming out of the woodwork sacrificing the ongoings.
I thinl the series of minis are really just to solve the monthly attrition. It really is hard to revive the sales of an ongoing.
besides armor hunters the other miniseries (shadowman end times, ah bloodshot ah harbinger) numbers seen low vs the ongoing title numbers. I don't mind the miniseries just not at the cost of the ongoings.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

That "Who will join Unity? cover is perhaps a little spoilerish for the remainder of Armor Hunters.

Also kinda reminds me of this Avengers cover:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2006 ... _1_221.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OT, but do you think Bendis just took a look at this cover when he revamped the Avengers and just said, "Okay, him, him him…"
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

If the Valiant editors are reading these posts - be aware that the Ninjak Bio has 2 sentences that repeat

Also, I find it curious that they would use Christian instead of Cronus on that Unity cover.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

bygranddesign wrote:If the Valiant editors are reading these posts - be aware that the Ninjak Bio has 2 sentences that repeat

Also, I find it curious that they would use Christian instead of Cronus on that Unity cover.
Christian is Cronus :?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Damn, i love the Morrison Doom Patrol covers, hope its an homage:

cdgodin
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by cdgodin »

erwinrafael wrote:
But if you look at it, only 3 of the 9 November titles are ongoing series. And one of those is confirmed as going on hiatus after this month since he'll be appearing in The Valiant (Bloodshot).

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I would like to see more ongoings this month. My LCS mentioned a number of people have jumped off valiant in light of the emphasis on mini's seeing the hiatus of a number of ongoings as a good end point.

My pull list between Aug and Dec has dropped from 10 to 4 due to titles like Q&W, BS, Shadowman, Harbinger (thought there may be a Harby book in Dec) not being represented in monthly format – Armor Hunters resulted in a higher pull list for me this month.

That said, I love the idea of one-shots and mini's (a little contradictory, I know) - perhaps not in the high concentration that Valiant has them in at the moment...

Unity looks very cool – though I’m not sure why Bloodshot is on the cover of ‘who will join them?” – given he was part of the team during AH…looking at the standard cover, you’d have to say Faith is the new member, though surely Torque will join also? Doesn’t feel right not seeming them part of the same team now.

I’m undecided about Punk Mambo – I wanted to get all the Valiant 0’s so will likely add this though haven’t had all the much exposure to her (dropped Shadowman at 13x). This combined with the Dr. Mirage mini has me thinking there are some big plans for an expanded and more involved cast in Shadowman should the on-going resume in 2015 – fingers cross, this feels like solid groundwork for something special.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

X-O MANOWAR CLASSIC OMNIBUS

Hell yeah :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Lots of cool stuff to look forward to - I'm excited for Bloodshot 25 & the new EW mini in particular, plus the intro of the Armorines. The Punk Mambo zero issue is unexpected but looks cool, I'm interested in reading more about her background.

Definitely a heavy shift to mini's & one-shots this month, but at least we get RAI back in December, and who knows what will replace the Delinquents mini (will we get A&A back as an ongoing?)...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;