Punk Mambo One Shot

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI
Re: Punk Mambo One Shot

Post by ilzuccone »

Shadowman99 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:I am going to buy it, but I am not really a fan of how the character is set up, especially the 'sniffing glue' thing. I get that it has associations with the punk movement (and unfortunately this feeds into my perception of the Milligan tenure on Shadowman and now this as being akin to Vertigo-lite).

Maybe I have interpreted that aspect (glue sniffing) too literally, but it seems that in some ways the activity is in effect glorified which I feel is something very negative, I cannot imagine playing well if ever translated to a mass media vehicle such as film.
Maybe that's quote-easily resolved-unquote with the correct age certificate?

I think this is one of those things where the basic argument is 'does it influence people or not'? I'm not going to get into that now, but personally I don't see the glue sniffing thing as a concern (especially considering how easily other 'controversial' images are shown on a regular basis in the cinema i.e. killing).
that was my thought exactly. the book is full of death and murder but glue sniffing is the problem? meh.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I agree about the interesting cast of female characters that Valiant is building. Compared to the Big 2, Valiant's female roster boasts interesting characters who are more than simple personas or stereotypes.

As for Punk Mambo, I find her interesting, but didn't care for her as much during her last turn. She played the "girl competitive card", which I hate on principal. Get the GF concerned/jealous, manipulate everyone. (These kind of people never know real happiness.) I liked her abrasiveness and the unknown when she was first introduced. Now she seems to have either some suspect plans in the works for Jack, or she's interested him, which would be exceptionally lame.

The thing is, why does a Londoner who communes with voodoo spirits have to move to the middle of the bayou? Is there a need to be neared a location like New Orleans that has a higher concentration of believers? If so, why not go to Africa or Haiti? Why not operate within the city rather than out in the boonies? What young person spurns modern living, access to entertainment, social life, sex? For arguments sake, yes, I'm sure she can head to the city when she wants, but she's choosing a different lifestyle on purpose. Why? She's not a shut-in. She's not afraid of her power or using it.

Probably for a variety of reasons, but she's got an agenda. She's there because she's got something to hide (her activities), plus the bayou is a great place to lose a person. But what is her purpose? Why does she need Jack? I'm guessing it's about power. Isn't it always about power or money (for those who don't have real power)? Wants more but is smart/cautious about how she obtains it.

Initially I thought she was going to be a neutral character, self-serving but one capable of helping. After her behavior and attitude in End of Times, I'm wondering if she'll turn out to be something else.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Shadowman99 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:I am going to buy it, but I am not really a fan of how the character is set up, especially the 'sniffing glue' thing. I get that it has associations with the punk movement (and unfortunately this feeds into my perception of the Milligan tenure on Shadowman and now this as being akin to Vertigo-lite).

Maybe I have interpreted that aspect (glue sniffing) too literally, but it seems that in some ways the activity is in effect glorified which I feel is something very negative, I cannot imagine playing well if ever translated to a mass media vehicle such as film.

I think this is one of those things where the basic argument is 'does it influence people or not'? I'm not going to get into that now, but personally I don't see the glue sniffing thing as a concern (especially considering how easily other 'controversial' images are shown on a regular basis in the cinema i.e. killing).
I would not go far as to suggest the comics character would influence anyone to follow suit. It just seems an unwise choice creatively to me.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

ilzuccone wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

that was my thought exactly. the book is full of death and murder but glue sniffing is the problem? meh.
We all just have a different outlook on these things. :)

Death and particularly murder have some pretty clear harms that do not really require elucidating; they are pretty much akin to a priori. :)

The harms of glue sniffing? Not so much by any extent I'd argue. :)

The power of necromantic energy has been marked for the likes of Darque, so we see the villain profiting from death. If Punk Mambo is to be some kind of hero (or yet another anti-hero), then it is arguably a dichotomy. Just my opinion of course, and just one way of looking at it. :)
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month