Another Valiant first...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Another Valiant first...

Post by Ramses818 »

This holds well for Valiant. Must be new readers coming on. What do you guys think?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/11/ ... n-its-way/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cray_ws
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992 - X-O Manawar
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Peter Milligan
Re: Another Valiant first...

Post by cray_ws »

Ramses818 wrote:This holds well for Valiant. Must be new readers coming on. What do you guys think?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/11/ ... n-its-way/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wouldn't read too much into it. I will believe there's a slight influx of readers if they do a 7th printing.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Cool. Great news.

So glad I'm in on he ground floor. Gonna be quite a ride.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

cray_ws wrote:
Ramses818 wrote:This holds well for Valiant. Must be new readers coming on. What do you guys think?

I wouldn't read too much into it. I will believe there's a slight influx of readers if they do a 7th printing.
I will believe there's a slight influx of readers when I sell all my Valiant comics for BILLIONS of dollars and buy a small island. 8-)

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Elveen wrote:Cool. Great news.

So glad I'm in on he ground floor. Gonna be quite a ride.
Ditto. I think the movie deal has solidified VEI's prospects and more readers will be giving it a look and coming on board.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai

Post by Ramses818 »

I just think it's interesting that for the first time they have to allocate a book. It's not a error or anything like that so I have to believe it is a nice feather in their cap. :thumb:

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

I was at my LCS last Wednesday picking up my VEI stash and the owner's wife asked me about Divinity. I gave her a brief run-down on the first couple issues. I think we might have a new reader. :thumb:

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

cray_ws wrote:

You are wrong, at least in this situation. I know why fourth print was necessary, and why the 3rd is getting allocated pretty severely. There is a REALLY good reason for it, something that VEI fans would get excited about if they only knew. And it's not just this issue, it's across the board on a lot of books.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

paradise wrote:There is a REALLY good reason for it, something that VEI fans would get excited about if they only knew. And it's not just this issue, it's across the board on a lot of books.
Is this something you know but can't tell us about? If so, then how is there an increased demand based on something no one is supposed to know about?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

lorddunlow wrote:
paradise wrote:There is a REALLY good reason for it, something that VEI fans would get excited about if they only knew. And it's not just this issue, it's across the board on a lot of books.
Is this something you know but can't tell us about? If so, then how is there an increased demand based on something no one is supposed to know about?
And how long until you can tell us what you know?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

paradise wrote:You are wrong, at least in this situation. I know why fourth print was necessary, and why the 3rd is getting allocated pretty severely. There is a REALLY good reason for it, something that VEI fans would get excited about if they only knew. And it's not just this issue, it's across the board on a lot of books.

Nanny nanny? :lol: Now you have me really curious...

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Since this is a first issue with a first appearance of a new character, it makes sense that speculators might jump on board of this particular issue, especially with the recent movie news
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:Since this is a first issue with a first appearance of a new character, it makes sense that speculators might jump on board of this particular issue, especially with the recent movie news
Guilty as charged. I've never speculated before but I thought it would be fun to try it on this book, for those reasons. I bought all 40 remaining NM copies of cover A from Midtown two weeks ago and I may submit them to CGC.

They had a lot of VF copies left. Now those are gone, too. Other covers are still available, just not A.

Phoenix8008
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I meant to ask before, but what does it mean that the 3rd printing was 'allocated'? That makes it sound like it got sent to somewhere it wasn't originally set up to be going to. I guess that would be re-allocated though, not just allocated. Can somebody explain that usage of the term and what it means?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Phoenix8008 wrote:I meant to ask before, but what does it mean that the 3rd printing was 'allocated'? That makes it sound like it got sent to somewhere it wasn't originally set up to be going to. I guess that would be re-allocated though, not just allocated. Can somebody explain that usage of the term and what it means?
It means there were more ordered than they can provide so every store who ordered only gets a percentage of their order. So (for simplicity) if 200 were ordered but they only printed 100 then each store would only get half their order.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Matches Malone
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar (V1), Bloodshot (VEI)
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by Matches Malone »

Maybe a combination of speculation and positive feedback, but Divinity and Imperium have been very hard to find in my area. I checked three LCS's a few weeks ago after hearing the praise for Divinity on these boards and couldn't find any version of #1. Many have plenty of current and back stock on Bloodshot, X-O, Harby, but the first issues of the new titles were long gone. Should have the upcoming printing of Divinity on hold so I'm looking forward to finally reading this as I've been sitting on #2 for a while. :!:

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

jmatt wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:Since this is a first issue with a first appearance of a new character, it makes sense that speculators might jump on board of this particular issue, especially with the recent movie news
Guilty as charged. I've never speculated before but I thought it would be fun to try it on this book, for those reasons. I bought all 40 remaining NM copies of cover A from Midtown two weeks ago and I may submit them to CGC.

They had a lot of VF copies left. Now those are gone, too. Other covers are still available, just not A.
whoa dude ...cool, i hope it pays off for you :thumb:

Now ..i'm wishing I at least bought doubles :D

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Playing devil's advocate, here's the potential downside of speculating on Valiant right now; at the moment, the comics back issue market is pretty much driven by movie news. But that could always change. When I started collecting in the late '80s/early '90s, first appearances of characters were big, but also the first professional work by writers and artists, or their first work on a particular title, or classic storylines. That sort of thing fell out of favor (sure, there are still people looking for some of those same books these days, but the idea that a collector had to own the first work by a current big name isn't really there these days. The modern Valiant speculator needs to hope that movies are still driving the back issue market when the movie thing really gets rolling, and also that super-hero movies are still a big factor in selling movie tickets.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

bygranddesign wrote:
jmatt wrote:

whoa dude ...cool, i hope it pays off for you :thumb:

Now ..i'm wishing I at least bought doubles :D
Further confession: I also bought all of their remaining NM Bleeding Monk #0 (again, around 40 copies) and 3 of the Suayan 1:25, and their last 18 NM VEI Harbinger #1 issues.

My rationale: I could never possibly hope to purchase VH1 Harby #1s at the current pricepoint; and I figure if the movie thing works out for them, they'll want some of their own, original IP (Darpan, BM and Divinity) on the big screen at some point.

The print runs play into it, as well. BM #0 and Divinity #1 both have fewer than 10k issues. VH1 Harby #1 had 48k. Plenty of them out there.

It wasn't a lot of money, maybe $300, to have some fun and excitement as the movie deal unfolds. If I spent that on VH1 Harby #1, I'd have gotten like 4 issues. So this seemed like a better expenditure.