How does this happen?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
How does this happen?

Post by Ramses818 »

How does Fionna Staples beat out Clayton Crain?! How does Valiant win nothing. I guess as with all awards you can't agree with them all. Congrats on all the nominations though, Viva la Valiant!

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Re: How does this happen?

Post by agent_graves »

I was thinking the same. One category, three out of the five nominees were Valiant, and they still lost that sh!t. :? facepalm I love Fiona's work on Saga, but what Crain is doing on Rai, is simply amazing.
#StayValiant

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Of course I wasn't putting anyone down, but his work is so far and away better. And how does Valiant lose on humor? That was also nuts! It will take a while to get over that. :!:

Euneiro
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1996
Favorite character: Ivar Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Ivar Timewalker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by Euneiro »

They probably split some votes on categories where they had multiple noms. Especially in humor.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

They didn't win *any* Harvey awards?! A nomination alone is a great acknowledgement from the industry as is, but still - getting shut out of the awards really sucks.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Seriously. 20 nominations and nothing? That some flipping bullcorn, there!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

tiredofmyself
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by tiredofmyself »

Valiant needs female creators and female leads, like RIGHT NOW! A female XO Manowar is a good place to start. And fridge Bloodshot and make some female character as the All-New Bloodshot. And nose. Valiant needs to stop drawing proper noses on their characters.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

tiredofmyself wrote: And nose. Valiant needs to stop drawing proper noses on their characters.
Noses?? :?
#StayValiant

tiredofmyself
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by tiredofmyself »

For some reason her effort on drawing noses (or the lack thereof) really stands out to me.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

tiredofmyself wrote:For some reason her effort on drawing noses (or the lack thereof) really stands out to me.
Who, Fiona? But, she doesn't work for Valiant.
#StayValiant

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... vey-awards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a link for anyone that wants to look on in agony. Yes, a nomination, is a significant achievement, but to walk away empty handed with so many nods, :censored: :censored: :censored: .

:rant: Divinity got snubbed. I counted at least three categories, that should have, or could have had, his mini included. Where's the Love!!! :!:
#StayValiant

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

The Harvey's are a self-nominated award, so, like CrossGen a decade ago, VEI has stuffed the nomination ballot box the last two years and come up empty both times. I love (most of) the books, but these nominations were absurd. Specifically, a 17-year vet in Jen Van Meter being in the Best New Talent category.

And, other than Saga getting overly slurped as usual, nothing is really arguable in the winners (I was rooting for Chris Samnee in artists)
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Thomas
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

I don't get the hype around Fiona Staples. She is good but not really something that sticks out.
I would be inclined to say that she didn't add that much to Saga. Clayton Crains art defined Rai for me. When I think about Saga, a bunch of artists could do what Fiona Staples does but with Rai I think it will be hard for VEI to replace Clayton Crain. He makes the title special. His artwork in that book is like a digital screen from a sci-fi movie.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Thomas wrote:I don't get the hype around Fiona Staples. She is good but not really something that sticks out.
I would be inclined to say that she didn't add that much to Saga. Clayton Crains art defined Rai for me. When I think about Saga, a bunch of artists could do what Fiona Staples does but with Rai I think it will be hard for VEI to replace Clayton Crain. He makes the title special. His artwork in that book is like a digital screen from a sci-fi movie.
I don't get Fiona Staples either. I actually found her work in the first Saga trade pretty boring, sketchy and feeling unfinished. But... I don't really dig on Crain either. Digital artwork like his and Stjepan Sejic always feels too static and cold to me. That's why, for me, Samnee was the best choice in artists. Different strokes and all.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong

Post by erwinrafael »

And Clayton Crain does not know how to tell a story. If VEI pushed for Pere Perez or Clayton Henry instead, they could have a fighting chance against Fiona.

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

How Saga is this popular when it doesn't even have that much in the way of an engaging plot, story, or characters makes little sense to me. Though it could be due to how the majority it's reader base isn't all that familiar with comics. I'm not knocking it, there's just far better examples out there that follow a similar execution, but with better results

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

omega_override wrote:How Saga is this popular when it doesn't even have that much in the way of an engaging plot, story, or characters makes little sense to me. Though it could be due to how the majority it's reader base isn't all that familiar with comics. I'm not knocking it, there's just far better examples out there that follow a similar execution, but with better results
If you put out 12 monthly issues a year and sell 10,000 copies each... you sell 120,000 comics.

If you put out 3 issues a year and sell 40,000 copies each... you sell 120,000 comics and everyone praises you for selling 40,000 copies and you win awards.

Plus... you do four times less work.

That leaves plenty of time to shop for a bigger trophy case.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

omega_override wrote:How Saga is this popular when it doesn't even have that much in the way of an engaging plot, story, or characters makes little sense to me. Though it could be due to how the majority it's reader base isn't all that familiar with comics. I'm not knocking it, there's just far better examples out there that follow a similar execution, but with better results
I recently started reading Sage (in the middle of volume 2 now), and I have to disagree with you. What makes you think that the majority of its reader base isn't familiar with comics?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

i'm not a fan of either artist. if i had to pic i would give it to fiona. crain hides half baked drawings behind smoke and mirrors. as an artist it stands out and smacks me in the face every time i read rai.

Thomas wrote: I think it will be hard for VEI to replace Clayton Crain. He makes the title special. His artwork in that book is like a digital screen from a sci-fi movie.
i would disagree. art schools are currently pumping out artists that do exactly what crain does. most of them end up unemployed or work in tv/ video games where the money is so so much better.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

kjjohanson wrote:
I recently started reading Sage (in the middle of volume 2 now), and I have to disagree with you. What makes you think that the majority of its reader base isn't familiar with comics?
It's important to note, as well, that the Harveys are nominated and voted on by comics professionals, I believe, so Saga's readers don't have much to do with the results.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I enjoy Saga and always have. It's a long payoff book, though, and with the scattered release schedule I can see how that rubs people the wrong way. But reading it in trade when each comes out, I think is pretty great.

I haven't read most of the other non-VEI books, so I can't really speak to them, but having that many nominations without winning any is a little odd. Sometimes that is what lays the ground work for future awards however.

And guess what, the Oscars are self-nominated too. That doesn't mean you get to vote for yourself, or that you will even be picked as a finalist. It means you submit which comics, artists, etc you want to nominate from your publisher in each category. The Harvey Awards then choose the finalists from that pool, which are then voted on by industry professionals. Dumb and Dumber To can nominate themselves for Best Picture, but the Academy is never going to make them a finalist.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

The problem with the Harveys is that the nominations are purely ballot stuffing. As long as you are a comic book professional, you can nominate and the final nominations are purely based on numbers. It is only in the final awards that any sort of quality control is done.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

BugsySig wrote:And guess what, the Oscars are self-nominated too. That doesn't mean you get to vote for yourself, or that you will even be picked as a finalist. It means you submit which comics, artists, etc you want to nominate from your publisher in each category. The Harvey Awards then choose the finalists from that pool, which are then voted on by industry professionals. Dumb and Dumber To can nominate themselves for Best Picture, but the Academy is never going to make them a finalist.
The Harvey Awards don't "choose the finalists from that pool." They simply take the most votes. From Baltimore Comic-Con's Facebook page when I called out the ridiculousness of Van Meter getting nominated in New Talent, ""We don't nominate 'em, we just tally 'em. :wink: "

So, sticking with your analogy, if everyone that worked for New Line was told by New Line to nominate Dumb and Dumber To and it got the top five votes due to nomination ballot box stuffing, it would be a finalist. That's what's happening here and why many deservedly don't win. And gross speculation on my part, the obvious nomination stuffing is likely keeping the few that deserve to win from winning because it leaves such a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

SwiftMann wrote:
BugsySig wrote:And guess what, the Oscars are self-nominated too. That doesn't mean you get to vote for yourself, or that you will even be picked as a finalist. It means you submit which comics, artists, etc you want to nominate from your publisher in each category. The Harvey Awards then choose the finalists from that pool, which are then voted on by industry professionals. Dumb and Dumber To can nominate themselves for Best Picture, but the Academy is never going to make them a finalist.
The Harvey Awards don't "choose the finalists from that pool." They simply take the most votes. From Baltimore Comic-Con's Facebook page when I called out the ridiculousness of Van Meter getting nominated in New Talent, ""We don't nominate 'em, we just tally 'em. :wink: "

So, sticking with your analogy, if everyone that worked for New Line was told by New Line to nominate Dumb and Dumber To and it got the top five votes due to nomination ballot box stuffing, it would be a finalist. That's what's happening here and why many deservedly don't win. And gross speculation on my part, the obvious nomination stuffing is likely keeping the few that deserve to win from winning because it leaves such a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
Fair enough, but how can small publishers dominate the Harvey award nominations over Marvel or DC then? They have way more people who can "nominate" books? It cant just be ballot stuffing.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

Because the Big 2 do not care about the Harveys. They know that the battle is in the Eisners.