WHAT IS VALIANT COMICS?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
WHAT IS VALIANT COMICS?

Post by Sven the Returned »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1yG6DhvBvU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Embed magic needed.

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval
Re: WHAT IS VALIANT COMICS?

Post by Psiot X »

That's awesome. Imma share that around.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

It's funny they keep saying "It's the world outside your window"--Jim Shooter always said "It's the world outside your door" about his New Universe line at Marvel, and I think he definitely took that idea to Valiant when he founded it as well. I'm glad that the Valiant reboot has kept that mantra in creating their comic books.

badlander86
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: Harbinger Wars
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Various
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Stephen Segovia, Paolo Rivera

Post by badlander86 »

Does anyone remember how comics got hyped back in the day (to which I mean early/mid-90s). Answer is simple: Saturday Morning Cartoons. Batman The Animated Series, the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, the Jim Lee-styled X-Men cartoon, Justice League...

Heck even Wildcats and The Savage Dragon got some hype thanks to their short and very watered down TV cartoon series back in the day which got me curious enough to look at Image's stuff...to the shock and probable delight to my pubescent self. Which leads me to wonder, which Valiant property can safely be adapted to an all-ages type show with little to no risk of offending anyone?

Faith seems to be the obvious choice but anyone else have any ideas? Bloodshot and Shadowman seem out just due to the original nature and tone of both titles and Archer&Armstrong have a lot of PG themes (drinking, cults, skirt chasing). A slightly modified Harbinger would be pretty good too. A cartoon or a more mature-themed live-action TV series would also help in making more buzz for any upcoming related movies.

I think H.A.R.DCorps the live-action TV series would make for a decent introduction to the Valiant Universe. Toyo Harada (to be played by Hiroyuki Sanada, otherwise someone dropped the ball big time) and his Psiot Messiah complex can set the tone for the whole show while Palmer (played by...I dunno. I want to say Bruce Greenwood but thats more for older Charlie Palmer. Younger Charlie Palmer needs to be a more...face-type actor) is convinced that the Psiots are a threat which needs to be neutralized in secret. It would have all the makings of a good hour-long episode: politics, civil rights discussions, sci-fi elements, religious themes...etc.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

badlander86 wrote:Does anyone remember how comics got hyped back in the day (to which I mean early/mid-90s). Answer is simple: Saturday Morning Cartoons. Batman The Animated Series, the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, the Jim Lee-styled X-Men cartoon, Justice League...

Heck even Wildcats and The Savage Dragon got some hype thanks to their short and very watered down TV cartoon series back in the day which got me curious enough to look at Image's stuff...to the shock and probable delight to my pubescent self. Which leads me to wonder, which Valiant property can safely be adapted to an all-ages type show with little to no risk of offending anyone?

Faith seems to be the obvious choice but anyone else have any ideas? Bloodshot and Shadowman seem out just due to the original nature and tone of both titles and Archer&Armstrong have a lot of PG themes (drinking, cults, skirt chasing). A slightly modified Harbinger would be pretty good too. A cartoon or a more mature-themed live-action TV series would also help in making more buzz for any upcoming related movies.

I think H.A.R.DCorps the live-action TV series would make for a decent introduction to the Valiant Universe. Toyo Harada (to be played by Hiroyuki Sanada, otherwise someone dropped the ball big time) and his Psiot Messiah complex can set the tone for the whole show while Palmer (played by...I dunno. I want to say Bruce Greenwood but thats more for older Charlie Palmer. Younger Charlie Palmer needs to be a more...face-type actor) is convinced that the Psiots are a threat which needs to be neutralized in secret. It would have all the makings of a good hour-long episode: politics, civil rights discussions, sci-fi elements, religious themes...etc.
I personally think it's fair to say that if it's done properly any comic franchise could be turned into a kid's cartoon.

You pointed out Bloodshot as unsuitable - perhaps it could be made suitable by going easy on the gun action and having BS use his tech-manipulation skills to work his way out of sticky situations, and a bit of classic beat-'em-up style fighting. If the 90's Mortal Kombat cartoon could get away with that I'm sure Bloodshot could, short of any actual killing. Maybe he could have stun weapons like tranq guns and tasers and stuff :?

Point is, anything can be done if one just finds the right way to do it.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

badlander86
Valiant fan since: Harbinger Wars
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Various
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Stephen Segovia, Paolo Rivera

Post by badlander86 »

Shadowman99 wrote:
badlander86 wrote:Does anyone remember how comics got hyped back in the day (to which I mean early/mid-90s). Answer is simple: Saturday Morning Cartoons. Batman The Animated Series, the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, the Jim Lee-styled X-Men cartoon, Justice League...

I personally think it's fair to say that if it's done properly any comic franchise could be turned into a kid's cartoon.

You pointed out Bloodshot as unsuitable - perhaps it could be made suitable by going easy on the gun action and having BS use his tech-manipulation skills to work his way out of sticky situations, and a bit of classic beat-'em-up style fighting. If the 90's Mortal Kombat cartoon could get away with that I'm sure Bloodshot could, short of any actual killing. Maybe he could have stun weapons like tranq guns and tasers and stuff :?

Point is, anything can be done if one just finds the right way to do it.
I do hope the Sony connection can get Valiant access to some animation studios in Japan or Korea. I recall when Marvel pushed for some short anime series by Madhouse and they were pretty graphic and entertaining. I can see Rai or Blooshot being done is a series from the people who gave us classics like Ninja Scroll and Monster.

Psiot X
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Considering who owns all the cartoon channels, can they actually get an animated show on air where the targeted audience is liable to see it? It's not like the 80's and early 90's now. I doubt they could get on air with a network associated with a competing comic company.

DC's most recent attempts at a quality animated show all were tanked by the networks for being too adult oriented... You couldn't do a good BTAS or Adventures of Superman for Cartoon Network now. You would need another good network home willing to host them. Syfy? El Rey? IDK...

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

Psiot X wrote:Considering who owns all the cartoon channels, can they actually get an animated show on air where the targeted audience is liable to see it? It's not like the 80's and early 90's now. I doubt they could get on air with a network associated with a competing comic company.

DC's most recent attempts at a quality animated show all were tanked by the networks for being too adult oriented... You couldn't do a good BTAS or Adventures of Superman for Cartoon Network now. You would need another good network home willing to host them. Syfy? El Rey? IDK...
Netflix is doing his own aniume. We see if they find a green pasture for adult animation.