X-O Manowar 2017 #1 - Cover Gallery / Checklist

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Re: X-O Manowar 2017 #1 - Cover Gallery / Checklist

Post by otomo »

Wow I picked up a couple covers thinking oh there will be four or five and I'll find em no problem.... wow that's a crap ton of variants. Is this mid-90s Image? lol
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

otomo wrote:Wow I picked up a couple covers thinking oh there will be four or five and I'll find em no problem.... wow that's a crap ton of variants. Is this mid-90s Image? lol
The 20 retailer exclusive variants are a result of the 1:500 brushed metal. Some of them are really cool and some are just lame but I guess it's all personal taste and all that. If I had to pick my least favorite it would be Cloud City's variant. Since you like to talk about art and how art fits to the story & character what are your most and least favorites?

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
otomo wrote:Wow I picked up a couple covers thinking oh there will be four or five and I'll find em no problem.... wow that's a crap ton of variants. Is this mid-90s Image? lol
The 20 retailer exclusive variants are a result of the 1:500 brushed metal. Some of them are really cool and some are just lame but I guess it's all personal taste and all that. If I had to pick my least favorite it would be Cloud City's variant. Since you like to talk about art and how art fits to the story & character what are your most and least favorites?
I'll point out here since I haven't yet that though I give opinions, I am not studied in art, I can't even draw a stick figure that looks good, and so I am not an expert and these are just what I like or don't like opinions!

I'd say cover A for sure. I don't know if it gives a real feel for the story as Aric in the story feels very alone, and without that whole "Star Wars" cast of characters with him. However, that feels the most "action/adventure old pulp" and that fit the story in that regard. It's beautiful and it's what drew me to the book and Valiant. I literally checked things out because of that cover. I really wish I had the Humble Bundle version with the full art of that!

Least favorite, I'll have to think about. I mean there's the obvious ones that are just sketches or the silly cat one which I don't love (the brushed metal one looks kinda meh to be honest), but in terms of regular art, I'll consider and get back to you. :)
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Sunlight on Snow

otomo wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
I'll point out here since I haven't yet that though I give opinions, I am not studied in art, I can't even draw a stick figure that looks good, and so I am not an expert and these are just what I like or don't like opinions!
:lol:

Yeah. Me, either.
otomo wrote:I'd say cover A for sure. I don't know if it gives a real feel for the story as Aric in the story feels very alone, and without that whole "Star Wars" cast of characters with him. However, that feels the most "action/adventure old pulp" and that fit the story in that regard. It's beautiful and it's what drew me to the book and Valiant. I literally checked things out because of that cover. I really wish I had the Humble Bundle version with the full art of that!
Exactly. There are too many people on that cover. Why didn't Larosa put Planet Gorin's two moons in the background? It would have been a much better replacement for the Death Star in Hildebrandt's original than the second giant head.

Larosa's signed 2000+ copies of the Virgin Art. There'll be copies on Ebay. :wink:
otomo wrote:Least favorite, I'll have to think about. I mean there's the obvious ones that are just sketches or the silly cat one which I don't love (the brushed metal one looks kinda meh to be honest), but in terms of regular art, I'll consider and get back to you. :)
I like the Brushed Metal variant design for what it is and it may look much better on actual brushed metal than it looks on a digital image. Nonetheless I don't feel the urge to spend 750 or so bucks to find out.

Sunlight on Snow

In March's NERD BLOCK was another exclusive by JJ RYP.

In January's NERD BLOCK was a weird cat cosplay variant for Divinity III.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

otomo wrote: I don't know if it gives a real feel for the story as Aric in the story feels very alone, and without that whole "Star Wars" cast of characters with him.
Wait till you read issue 2.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net