Bleeding Cool: Three Teases from Valiant FCBD Issue

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Spoiler Warning

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/26 ... title-meh/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly, nothing too Earth shaking after the Summit, but at lease we now know Psi-Lords has a Winter release
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Bleeding Cool: Three Teases from Valiant FCBD Issue

Post by greg »

My first thought is that winter always feels like "same year", but winter starts December 21 and goes through most of March. March 2018 is what we might expect.

Keith

Post by Keith »

Oh man... so maybe it's me, but in the Psi-Lord teaser, it looks like a blacked out image of a ship in the upper left. I think that might be the same ship being discussed in the X-O Manowar #1 pre-order edition:

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 0#p1055925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I immediately thought the same thing.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Keith wrote:Oh man... so maybe it's me, but in the Psi-Lord teaser, it looks like a blacked out image of a ship in the upper left. I think that might be the same ship being discussed in the X-O Manowar #1 pre-order edition:

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 0#p1055925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Keith wrote:Oh man... so maybe it's me, but in the Psi-Lord teaser, it looks like a blacked out image of a ship in the upper left. I think that might be the same ship being discussed in the X-O Manowar #1 pre-order edition:

Yep, no question. So the question then becomes, if that is the same ship how are these timelines matching up? Assuming Psi-Lords is still set in the 4002 timeline with Rai like the original series was, how is that pictured ship crashed back in the past so long ago that an alien city has been built up around it in the present/near future time when Aric/X-O is on this alien world?? :hm:

Unless the whole ship went through the Faraway and came out again in an earlier time? :?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Keith

Post by Keith »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Assuming Psi-Lords is still set in the 4002 timeline...
That's the rub, right there. Based on the Fall of Bloodshot (which is clearly canonical) we are told that the Psi-Lords are active in the not too distant future when Bloodshot is taken by the aliens. I think we can safely presume that this version of Psi-Lords might be based closer to the present, and not related to the H.A.R.D. Corps or 4001 AD this time.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Was psi Lords bad people?
Maybe they go attack earth for Aric's meddling
I Miss the good old days.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

nonplayer wrote:Was psi Lords bad people?
In the original series in the 90's, it was set in the 4001 timeline. The Psi-Lords were survivors that had fled Earth after one of the Harbinger Wars. They were out in space and out of contact with humans for a couple thousand years. They developed tech that combined Bloodshot's nanites and the HARD Corps power set switching, so that it was all internal and needed no 'softcore' to switch the powers for them. Whether they were 'bad people' or not is dependent on your point of view. They came in and played it cool until the human worlds had a problem bad enough that they needed Psi-Lords help with. Then they started ramping up and kind of taking over subtly. You could see the seeds planted of them long term taking over the governments by insinuating themselves into the hierarchy. They were also slowly building a dyson sphere around the solar system. They were all but immortal due to their nanites, and they planned very long term because of it. They were 'friendly', but you could see them planning to slowly take over and become an authoritarian, 'law & order' force... because they were obviously older and wiser and new better how things should be run. There was some barely talked about history that seemed to indicate that they had done this kind of takeover in multiple systems elsewhere on their way back to Earth. So from their point of view, they were helping, but the series had a human diplomat that was kind of the protagonist of the series so that we could discover these truths through her eyes and see her reactions to their fascistic plans.
Viva la Valiant!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
In the original series in the 90's, it was set in the 4001 timeline. The Psi-Lords were survivors that had fled Earth after one of the Harbinger Wars. They were out in space and out of contact with humans for a couple thousand years. They developed tech that combined Bloodshot's nanites and the HARD Corps power set switching, so that it was all internal and needed no 'softcore' to switch the powers for them. Whether they were 'bad people' or not is dependent on your point of view. They came in and played it cool until the human worlds had a problem bad enough that they needed Psi-Lords help with. Then they started ramping up and kind of taking over subtly. You could see the seeds planted of them long term taking over the governments by insinuating themselves into the hierarchy. They were also slowly building a dyson sphere around the solar system. They were all but immortal due to their nanites, and they planned very long term because of it. They were 'friendly', but you could see them planning to slowly take over and become an authoritarian, 'law & order' force... because they were obviously older and wiser and new better how things should be run. There was some barely talked about history that seemed to indicate that they had done this kind of takeover in multiple systems elsewhere on their way back to Earth. So from their point of view, they were helping, but the series had a human diplomat that was kind of the protagonist of the series so that we could discover these truths through her eyes and see her reactions to their fascistic plans.
Man, I am pretty excited to see what they do with the PSI-Lords concept this time around. I don't have the full run of the original series, but I have a few & while it's a dated looking comic, the core idea is really cool & has tons of potential.

Phoenix8008, everything you wrote above to describe the theme & setting of the series sounds incredibly cool if you try to picture how it might be handled by a current creative team. Can't wait for this one!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

grendeljd wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Man, I am pretty excited to see what they do with the PSI-Lords concept this time around. I don't have the full run of the original series, but I have a few & while it's a dated looking comic, the core idea is really cool & has tons of potential.

Phoenix8008, everything you wrote above to describe the theme & setting of the series sounds incredibly cool if you try to picture how it might be handled by a current creative team. Can't wait for this one!
As you can probably tell, I was a pretty big fan of the series. The ideas and themes in it really spoke to me. It was definitely a case of better potential than execution, but my mind saw all the potential and loved it for that. Just so many neat ideas and concepts to explore. I remember a scene in the first issue where they had arrived in their ship and got permission to build a space station for themselves. The humans were like, "Sure, go ahead!" Thinking that would keep them busy for a few years. Then the Psi-Lords launch one missile out to the asteroid belt and release some builder nanites. The start cannibalizing the asteroids to build more builder nanites, and then over the course of an afternoon, their space station just materialized as the nanites built it out of stacked carbon molecules, as hard as diamond. It was a cool scene. This is making me want to go back and reread the series now...
Viva la Valiant!

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Phoenix8008 wrote:

Yep, no question. So the question then becomes, if that is the same ship how are these timelines matching up? Assuming Psi-Lords is still set in the 4002 timeline with Rai like the original series was, how is that pictured ship crashed back in the past so long ago that an alien city has been built up around it in the present/near future time when Aric/X-O is on this alien world?? :hm:

Unless the whole ship went through the Faraway and came out again in an earlier time? :?
Xo can't go to 4001 or 4002. He dies well before that. Maybe his daughter gets to play in 4001 land but not xo.
I Miss the good old days.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

nonplayer wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

Xo can't go to 4001 or 4002. He dies well before that. Maybe his daughter gets to play in 4001 land but not xo.
Just because he dies before that, doesn't mean he couldn't visit there. X-O, or even the pictured ship itself, could make their way through a portal into the Faraway and then back out to a different time. Or either could be taken there by a Timewalker. As long as they X-O gets back to his timeline before death, there's no disruption there.
Viva la Valiant!