X-O Manowar issue 2 & 3 variants

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
X-O Manowar issue 2 & 3 variants

Post by kjjohanson »

Does anyone know how the pre-order bundles work towards the earning of incentives? Did each bundle count as 1 towards each incentive variant for the first three issues?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
Re: X-O Manowar issue 2 & 3 variants

Post by paradise »

kjjohanson wrote:Does anyone know how the pre-order bundles work towards the earning of incentives? Did each bundle count as 1 towards each incentive variant for the first three issues?
Pre-order variants do not count towards 1:20 and 1:50 variants, only covers A and B

Sorry, gave wrong info, apparently they do count. I assume they count for corresponding issue variants.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Thanks, Ed. Considering that, something occurred to me. From what I heard the pre-order editions were ordered in higher numbers than expected. Considering the following:

• First issues are generally ordered in much higher numbers than subsequent issues
• There were a decent numbers on the preorder edition, meaning that there are already a good number of that variant committed to for #2 & #3, and
• Preorder editions count towards incentives for those issues

We might have a case where stores didn't order many of the A, B, or other order-all covers for #2 & #3, if they've already committed to enough pre-order copies of those issues to fulfill their usual demand for Valiant books. I imagine stores would have ordered them for collectors that specifically requested them, but they may be harder to find than you typical order-all cover down the line.

paradise
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

kjjohanson wrote:Thanks, Ed. Considering that, something occurred to me. From what I heard the pre-order editions were ordered in higher numbers than expected. Considering the following:

• First issues are generally ordered in much higher numbers than subsequent issues
• There were a decent numbers on the preorder edition, meaning that there are already a good number of that variant committed to for #2 & #3, and
• Preorder editions count towards incentives for those issues

We might have a case where stores didn't order many of the A, B, or other order-all covers for #2 & #3, if they've already committed to enough pre-order copies of those issues to fulfill their usual demand for Valiant books. I imagine stores would have ordered them for collectors that specifically requested them, but they may be harder to find than you typical order-all cover down the line.
That's a WHOLE LOT of assumptions that don't necessarily play out that way.

1. Stores don't automatically get variants, they have to order them AND qualify for them.
2. higher than expected is not a number, it could be they expected 100 and got 500 or expected 1,000 and got 3,000.
3. With close to 2,000 diamond accounts, it is easy to think that each store had 1-2 customers who asked for it, and so no store will add any additional qualifying variants
4. Even if they do have 20-50 customers ask for it, (DOUBT IT) does not mean they ordered it, because just like me (and I would like to think I am smarter than an average store owner) they don't think that those qualify, only covers A&B. The wording on Diamond site is pretty unclear.
5. Doubt that vei will release any real numbers on either the pre-order bundle issues or the ratio variants, it does not help them to have those numbers out there. Online fans keep guessing numbers and making assumptions regarding print runs and ratios and all those other insane variables that just do not work the way most threads here discuss them, and make assumptions, and it is good for them to have people guessing.

I could come up with many more but it's late :) BUT basically you (by you I don't mean individual you, but fanbase in general) are not equipped to make correct assumptions because most fans do not know how the comic book publishing industry works and how things are ordered, created or distributed. Nor should you be, it's not good when everything is so transparent that nothing is left to imagination and speculation.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Thanks for your input, Ed. I said "might" because I recognize that I don't have all of the facts. It just occurred to me that with the points I mentioned that an under-order of the regular editions of issues 2&3 might be an unintended consequence of the pre-order edition. Unquestionably I'd say that issue 2&3 of any title are ordered in lower quantities than issue 1 (barring some special circumstance). The number of pre-order editions actually ordered is certainly an unknown quantity, but I can say from my experience to Midtown Comics this week (who order heavily on everything – they gets tons of traffic in Times Square) that at least one big store had about as many of the preorder edition on the shelf as the regular editions of issue 2 combined. I guess what I'm saying is if you're a collector, maybe make it a point to get your regular editions now, if you want to individual issues.