War Mother mini-series by FVL and Segovia

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Re: War Mother mini-series by FVL and Segovia

Post by SuperMage »

Shadowman99 wrote: I have a feeling that VEI's use of miniseries is solely to maintain a steady rotation of titles whilst sticking to their 'no more than 10 issues per month' affordability plan. Sure, they probably get pitches from some writers for shorter length arcs and if that's the case (e.g. Dr. Mirage) then I expect that's a factor too, but that fits in with VEI's rotation anyway so it's probably just more of a convenience for them. Anyway, just taking a guess there obviously.[/color]
That's exactly it, combined with the testing the waters theory. The thing is there's only some much room for books to be published, and in order for Valiant to build its universe it's going to have expand past its tentpole icons. Dinesh himself said that's the exact reason why they introduced a new line of books in 2016. They wanted to have more toys in the box for writers to play with, and at the same time they wanted a chance to introduce these characters and concepts properly. When screen time is limited you need to share the spotlight.

FlipMega
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: Ninjak vol. 1 #23
Favorite title: Harbinger, Imperium, Divinity
Favorite artist: Hairsine, Suayan, LaRosa

Post by FlipMega »

Shadowman99 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Minis are just the way to go nowadays unless you have a proven character who can sell an ongoing. I'm not sure how many of those VEI has...XO, Ninjak, and Bloodshot probably. Then Harbinger, A&A, Q&W, Faith and maybe Shadowman (if they ever do him *well) could potentially carry ongoings. Rai, Timewalker, Psi Lords, Divinity, etc all seem better suited for the mini or maxi series. I agree you need a good balance of each though.
*Fixed that there...

Honestly, I see what you're getting at with that list there, but I'm of the opinion that any of these comics could safely run a minimum of 12 issues if they were written well enough. And that's what it should, in theory, always come down to: whether a story's written well enough to support an ongoing. Rai and Ivar both ran >12 issues if I remember right and Divinity could easily have done it if VEI hadn't originally planned on introducing it as a Unity arc.

I have a feeling that VEI's use of miniseries is solely to maintain a steady rotation of titles whilst sticking to their 'no more than 10 issues per month' affordability plan. Sure, they probably get pitches from some writers for shorter length arcs and if that's the case (e.g. Dr. Mirage) then I expect that's a factor too, but that fits in with VEI's rotation anyway so it's probably just more of a convenience for them. Anyway, just taking a guess there obviously.
I agree with the well written sentiment. And I could read Harbinger and the related forever ongoing.

What isn't being mentioned regarding the minis is that VEI is, effectively, a new business and trying to expand. The fact that they have legacy characters and fans I think blurs the big picture a little at times. You don't see new publishers jumping into the fray with 4-5 long running titles. In order to grow the fanbase and the universe simultaneously they have to be prototyping and testing new characters, new lines on existing characters, all while synchronously supporting a legacy system. Doing minis is lightweight and insightful. Committing resources to long runs across multiple lines is prohibitive. You test in small cycles, iteratively, learn and adapt. Additionally, it's all the more accessible the new readers. "New jumping on point" sounds less daunting as a #1 than as a #16, and picking up a self contained trade or vol #1 is also more approachable. For what it's worth I started with 4001AD, Divinity and Harbinger vol 1 myself. The way to new readers, largely, is vol. 1 trades and #1 issues.

They don't have an easy task, but it seems to me they are taking the smarter approach. And like someone else mentioned I think the sweet spot is a good balance of all types. Just easier said than done, particularly in acquisition mode.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

FlipMega wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Minis are just the way to go nowadays unless you have a proven character who can sell an ongoing. I'm not sure how many of those VEI has...XO, Ninjak, and Bloodshot probably. Then Harbinger, A&A, Q&W, Faith and maybe Shadowman (if they ever do him *well) could potentially carry ongoings. Rai, Timewalker, Psi Lords, Divinity, etc all seem better suited for the mini or maxi series. I agree you need a good balance of each though.
*Fixed that there...

Honestly, I see what you're getting at with that list there, but I'm of the opinion that any of these comics could safely run a minimum of 12 issues if they were written well enough. And that's what it should, in theory, always come down to: whether a story's written well enough to support an ongoing. Rai and Ivar both ran >12 issues if I remember right and Divinity could easily have done it if VEI hadn't originally planned on introducing it as a Unity arc.

I have a feeling that VEI's use of miniseries is solely to maintain a steady rotation of titles whilst sticking to their 'no more than 10 issues per month' affordability plan. Sure, they probably get pitches from some writers for shorter length arcs and if that's the case (e.g. Dr. Mirage) then I expect that's a factor too, but that fits in with VEI's rotation anyway so it's probably just more of a convenience for them. Anyway, just taking a guess there obviously.
I agree with the well written sentiment. And I could read Harbinger and the related forever ongoing.

What isn't being mentioned regarding the minis is that VEI is, effectively, a new business and trying to expand. The fact that they have legacy characters and fans I think blurs the big picture a little at times. You don't see new publishers jumping into the fray with 4-5 long running titles. In order to grow the fanbase and the universe simultaneously they have to be prototyping and testing new characters, new lines on existing characters, all while synchronously supporting a legacy system. Doing minis is lightweight and insightful. Committing resources to long runs across multiple lines is prohibitive. You test in small cycles, iteratively, learn and adapt. Additionally, it's all the more accessible the new readers. "New jumping on point" sounds less daunting as a #1 than as a #16, and picking up a self contained trade or vol #1 is also more approachable. For what it's worth I started with 4001AD, Divinity and Harbinger vol 1 myself. The way to new readers, largely, is vol. 1 trades and #1 issues.

They don't have an easy task, but it seems to me they are taking the smarter approach. And like someone else mentioned I think the sweet spot is a good balance of all types. Just easier said than done, particularly in acquisition mode.
Definitely, really well spotted and put.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

I wonder if Faith and the FF and War Mother could be connected in one way or another?

And if Neela returns Faith to the very same time and place in the present day of the VU then she will already know about certain future events during Harbinger: Renegade.