Reading comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Reading comics

Post by Shadowman99 »

Chiclo wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
possumgrease wrote:The voice I have the most trouble with is Aric. I always go with this Old English, Shakespeare tone, but that wouldn't be it all. He's always written so stuffy, except for the early VH1 with all the "good skin" talk.
I guess we could all benefit from finding out what ancient Romanian would've sounded like in terms of placing Aric's accent :?
Ancient Romanian in the early 5th Century was just a dialect of Latin and probably not even Vulgar Latin.

Aric and his visigothic breteren spoke Gothic, an extinct language from the extinct East Germanic branch of the Germanic languages. It is the oldest attested Germanic language and has a modest sized corpus of extant texts. We have an idea as to the vocabulary and words but the sound of the language as it was spoken is lost to history.

Best guess - probably sounds vaguely somewhere between a Dutch and a Danish accent. Maybe could pass for an Afrikaaner?
I'm not sure about that. Dacia as far as I understand it was a region within Thrace, where 'Thracian' was spoken, but apparently 'Dacian' was a dialect of Thracian. What constituted the language itself is a bit of a shot in the dark as far as I can tell as it looks as though very little of either language has ever been recovered, but I don't think it was Latin at all.
You are correct in that there were Dacian and Thracian languages and that it is thought they were closely related and that Dacian may have been a dialect of Thracian. They were Indo-European languages of unknown provenance and definitely not Latin or an Italic language.

The Visigoths were a people that had migrated to Dacia from somewhere in northern Germany or Scandinavia through the northeast Balkans. The fourth and fifth centuries (around which time Aric was captured by the Vine) was called the Migration Era and is so-called because many Germanic tribes migrated within the Roman Empire, especially from the northeast, where they were being attacked by and fleeing from the Huns. The Visigoths migrated from Dacia through the Italian peninsula and into France, eventually conquering a kingdom in Spain and Southern France which they ruled for 300 years until being displaced by the invading Umayyad Caliphate in the 700s.

Aric is very specifically a Visigoth. His uncle is Alaric I, one of the better-known Visigothic kings. Alaric was the leader of his people during the sack of Rome in 410, a few years after Aric is said to have been abducted. A battle with Stilicho, a Roman general who fought the Visigoths, is depicted in X-O Manowar (2012) #1.

So I feel very confident in saying that no, Aric did not speak Dacian or Thracian. He spoke Gothic.

edit - When I said that Ancient Romanian in the 5th Century was a dialect of Latin, I meant the forerunner to the modern language of Romanian (which I am currently studying) was still a dialect of Latin and had probably not become its own language, separate from Italian, Portuguese or Spanish. I did not mean to imply that the native Dacian or Thracian languages spoken in the region around the time of Roman conquest were Latin-related languages.

Claiming that the Visigoths spoke Dacian would be like claiming the Anglo-Saxons that settled in England at about the same time spoke the Welsh-like Britonic language that the native Britons spoke prior to the Roman conquest of Brittania.
Excellent bit of history here :clap:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

TripleH_0225
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by TripleH_0225 »

I have a hard time keeping the voices in my head quiet, so I can actually read and enjoy the book I'm reading :D

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

TripleH_0225 wrote:I have a hard time keeping the voices in my head quiet, so I can actually read and enjoy the book I'm reading :D
:funnypost:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

Interesting topic! I like to get super into it when I read comics. Quiet setting. Intro song in my head sometimes. Anthrax’s “I am the Law” is great for Judge Dredd. Lol. Main character voice I attempt to pre-determine a bit if they’ve been around for a while. Example: Aric is always gruff sounding in my head. Russel Crowe like. Support character voices are developed in my head over time as I get a feel for them as individuals. Some are tough! Took me a long time to find a voice for X-Men villain Apocalypse. I settled on a version of Gibby Haynes (Butthole Surfers) “Locust Abortion Technician” era voice. Baby Jesus is Will Ferrell.
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.