Bloodshot Salvation - Exclusive comic

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: Bloodshot Salvation - Exclusive comic

Post by nonplayer »

agent_graves wrote:
Gafti wrote:
Nairbe wrote:
Gafti wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
Really!? No one is forcing your hand. VEI is a business, first and foremost, no different from any other comic publisher out here. They come up with innovative ways to increase their profit margin, and stay out the red. Luckily for us, they actually put out quality comics while doing so, and on time....
It's a business? Far out. Thought it was a non profit. Give me a break.
On a side note, what's the weather like this time of year inside Dinesh's rectum?
Well so much for this... http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=50120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, supporting Valiant, especially on these boards does not mean your up Dinesh's *SQUEE*. If you have an issue with something someone said take it to PMs.
Kind of like making a comment on disagreeing with a marketing strategy doesn't mean you don't support Valiant? Whatever.
*SQUEE* you and *SQUEE* this board. Go *SQUEE* yourself with a plunger.
Grow up.. Geez!! facepalm
nonplayer wrote:I belive some people are weather predictors for Valiant Like I used to be. Blind love.
No blind love here, at all. Some months I'm all in, some months I'm not. I read what I like, and buy what I like. :thumb:
:high-five:
I Miss the good old days.

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

I just read this whole topic in one sitting. Wow! I'm personally excited for a new series and will gladly pay up front for the first 12 issues to get the special variant. Also, we are not talking about crazy money here. This prepay will cost between $48 and $60. For the whole year. I would probably pay half that for just the extras.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Summydad1 wrote:I just read this whole topic in one sitting. Wow! I'm personally excited for a new series and will gladly pay up front for the first 12 issues to get the special variant. Also, we are not talking about crazy money here. This prepay will cost between $48 and $60. For the whole year. I would probably pay half that for just the extras.
You and me are very like minded in this statement :thumb:
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Great idea and the free comic comes with the first issue too! I'm surprised Marvel and DC haven't jumped on this idea already.

On a side note, shame about Gafti losing his head, seemed like a storm in a tea cup :? He seemed a really positive fella (until now). Maybe he'll be back at some point.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Great idea and the free comic comes with the first issue too! I'm surprised Marvel and DC haven't jumped on this idea already.

On a side note, shame about Gafti losing his head, seemed like a storm in a tea cup :? He seemed a really positive fella (until now). Maybe he'll be back at some point.
Thanks for the info. The special edition comes in a polly bag.
There will be very few if thease in polly bags because the only way to get this is to sign up to a year. How meny people do you think will sign up for the year and not open the poly bag. Not meny. Might make more sence for shops to just order this and get the free book. So again to my question. Will there be a separate a b and variant covers following along. I see low 1/20 1/50 variants in the near future.
Unless this is only by subscription which makes it extreamly limited.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: On a side note, shame about Gafti losing his head, seemed like a storm in a tea cup :? He seemed a really positive fella (until now). Maybe he'll be back at some point.
This was to be expected for those who have read X-O #10. Truthfully, I can't blame the guy after having been tortured by the Vine for so long, but I do wish him well.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

A. It's a bit too early as VEI has not solicited #1 yet, so we don't know any other info, covers, variant ratios, retailer discounts and other promotional info.

B. You bet your donkey, we will be doing something special. I just need to know more about A. to put it together.

C. Gafti???? Wtf

D. I don't have anything else
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

It is a bummer to have to pay upfront for comics that are not yet written. VEI should be aware of this.
That said, the extra book is a gift for loyal monthly customers.

I'm not getting the book so it does not bug me, but I can understand that someone does not like this. And of course, I understand Valiant's POV- it worked on X-O, apparently.

Damn shame that Gafti lost it here over nothing. :?
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Maybe some shops will charge in advance. Maybe some won't. We just don't know what the details are yet for the shops to play with.

paradise

Post by paradise »

nycjadie wrote:Maybe some shops will charge in advance. Maybe some won't. We just don't know what the details are yet for the shops to play with.
It is wise for shops to charge in advance for this. I can see many scenarios where this could hurt them otherwise
Edward

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Having read this entire thread just now in one sitting, I feel the need to speak up a little for Gafti - even though he has clearly left the board already.

I read his initial post and there is nothing unreasonable or irate written there that deserved the kind of snippy response given by Agent Graves. If I had been the recipient of that condescending snark, I'd probably be a little irritated too. There's really no need to snip at a guy that way for posting a calm opinion that contains criticism of Valiant. I think that we as a community are better than that - we're always collectively going to defend our favourite company as warranted, but we have a reputation as the best fan community for a reason. This place isn't just an echo chamber full of people who don't say anything unpopular.

This thread is not an example of us at our best. Gafti certainly had a bit of an extreme reaction to the response to his initial post, & has left some posts that are inappropriate on a largely family friendly board. Just to be clear, I'm not defending that stuff.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

grendeljd wrote:Having read this entire thread just now in one sitting, I feel the need to speak up a little for Gafti - even though he has clearly left the board already.

I read his initial post and there is nothing unreasonable or irate written there that deserved the kind of snippy response given by Agent Graves. If I had been the recipient of that condescending snark, I'd probably be a little irritated too. There's really no need to snip at a guy that way for posting a calm opinion that contains criticism of Valiant. I think that we as a community are better than that - we're always collectively going to defend our favourite company as warranted, but we have a reputation as the best fan community for a reason. This place isn't just an echo chamber full of people who don't say anything unpopular.

This thread is not an example of us at our best. Gafti certainly had a bit of an extreme reaction to the response to his initial post, & has left some posts that are inappropriate on a largely family friendly board. Just to be clear, I'm not defending that stuff.
I just want to point out that I had in no way intended to hurt his feelings not one single bit. And I think my post was fine and with out attack.
I truly belive he got attached privately.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Keith wrote:Well. That escalated quickly.
Yeah. What the heck. :?

To be honest, when he first arrived some of his initial posts were overtly critical of NvsVU, which I thought was a tad unseemly for a new member. Now, everyone is entitled to their opinion but it was like walking into a house party where you didn't know anyone and complaining that the music sucked.

Then he got pretty positive about VEI and was posting a lot. Some of it was fun. And then this spontaneous, profanity laden meltdown. Weird.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

In fairness, and this is coming from a self-described Mega fan, it's hard to be critical of Valiant on this board.

paradise

Post by paradise »

nycjadie wrote:In fairness, and this is coming from a self-described Mega fan, it's hard to be critical of Valiant on this board.
I see plenty of different opinions. Though vei people are so different from other publishers that many here have developed personal relationships with them and it is harder to criticize someone you know and like.
Edward

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I'm new around here too, but I'm a longtime comic fan. VEI isn't perfect, but they are very consistent. More consistent than the Marvel and DC? It's just a different quality.

They do seem to like to try new things with marketing, covers, movies, games, etc. I'm just in it for the stories myself, and I trade wait. So I'm really only miffed when content is exclusive. But even if I'm not interested in something they're doing there's someone else out there who loves it. And that word of mouth is priceless. It's comics after all and sometimes part of the fun is just in the hunt.

I like that SALVATION is following the new X-O model of small arcs built around a larger story.
I won't get the pre-order with Salvation but I'm sure I'll get the trade. It's cheap entertainment. Amazon has RAPTURE for $6 and BRITANNIA 2 for $9! It's hard to find anything to complain about. There's been a few duds and questionable decisions but my chief complaint is I want more!

I also need more time and money.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

grendeljd wrote:Having read this entire thread just now in one sitting, I feel the need to speak up a little for Gafti - even though he has clearly left the board already.

But that's exactly what you're doing, defending his childish temper tantrum. You're reaching, looking for a reason, an excuse for his actions, when there are none. We can absolutely agree to disagree, on any given topic, statement, and or opinion made on this forum. I didn't agree with his ham-fisted (incompetent) statement made about Valiant. You say my reply came off condescending and snarky. Snark, yes, but not at all condescending, or disrespectful in any way. But his response, full of vitriol, very childish and immature, and that is what you're actually defending. How?? And even after his blatantly disrespectful response, I still kept it civil. facepalm :?
#StayValiant

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

nycjadie wrote:In fairness, and this is coming from a self-described Mega fan, it's hard to be critical of Valiant on this board.
To some degree, I concur. But we survived like 15 pages of hysteria when the Legends of the Geomancer brouhaha happened without that level of vitriol. He went nuclear in just a few posts.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

jmatt wrote:
To some degree, I concur. But we survived like 15 pages of hysteria when the Legends of the Geomancer brouhaha happened without that level of vitriol. He went nuclear in just a few posts.
How to stop an exploding man?

Looks like he wanted to blow off some steam for whatever reason. Nobody forced him to say what he said about the Nerd Boss. It was uncalled for. Really poor choice of words.

I still feel bad for Gafti. He seemed to be a nice guy and perhaps he was just having a bad day? Perhaps he had just spent all of his money on catching up with Valiant comics. Then, an announcement like this could have been too much to handle especially with some people's reaction like it was no problem for them spending another $50 or so and he shouldn't even complain about it!

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Can we move passed the Gafti incident? it's getting old. :!:
We all understand he gave his life to save earth had he just given the suit to Aric he probably would have fought off the Vine invasion him self.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

agent_graves wrote:

But that's exactly what you're doing, defending his childish temper tantrum. You're reaching, looking for a reason, an excuse for his actions, when there are none. We can absolutely agree to disagree, on any given topic, statement, and or opinion made on this forum. I didn't agree with his ham-fisted (incompetent) statement made about Valiant. You say my reply came off condescending and snarky. Snark, yes, but not at all condescending, or disrespectful in any way. But his response, full of vitriol, very childish and immature, and that is what you're actually defending. How?? And even after his blatantly disrespectful response, I still kept it civil. facepalm :?
Just for further clarification, not interested in perpetuating any kind of flame war - I was specifically referring to this exchange only;
agent_graves wrote:
Gafti wrote:It's a little bit of a bummer to have to pay for all 12 at once. That feels like a forced feeding.
Obviously I want the books and the extra content, but paying a year in advance is going to be a bridge too far for a lot of people. Some because they can't afford it as a one-time payment, and some for the principle of the thing.
Is the company hurting for money or something?
Really!? No one is forcing your hand. VEI is a business, first and foremost, no different from any other comic publisher out here. They come up with innovative ways to increase their profit margin, and stay out the red. Luckily for us, they actually put out quality comics while doing so, and on time....
I don't think there was anything ham-fisted or vitriolic about that initial post of his. Your response does come off as condescending (no-one here really needs to have someone take the time to point out that Valiant is a business looking to make money). I was trying to express that I'm not surprised he was sarcastic in his first response to that. A few others pounced on him as well afterwards, but I was not & am not looking to defend his full on meltdown beyond that.

Still a shame that we lost a new member who seemed alright otherwise though.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

grendeljd wrote:
agent_graves wrote:

Just for further clarification, not interested in perpetuating any kind of flame war - I was specifically referring to this exchange only;
agent_graves wrote:
Gafti wrote:It's a little bit of a bummer to have to pay for all 12 at once. That feels like a forced feeding.
Obviously I want the books and the extra content, but paying a year in advance is going to be a bridge too far for a lot of people. Some because they can't afford it as a one-time payment, and some for the principle of the thing.
Is the company hurting for money or something?
I don't think there was anything ham-fisted or vitriolic about that initial post of his. Your response does come off as condescending (no-one here really needs to have someone take the time to point out that Valiant is a business looking to make money). I was trying to express that I'm not surprised he was sarcastic in his first response to that. A few others pounced on him as well afterwards, but I was not & am not looking to defend his full on meltdown beyond that.
But... He took the time to ask the question, I took the time to respond, with logic. I didn't like his question, you didn't like my response. Understood!
grendeljd wrote:Still a shame that we lost a new member who seemed alright otherwise though.
Agreed!
#StayValiant

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

This whole *SQUEE* with Gafti was over days ago, why are we still talking about it? :?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

Time out.

I buy everything Valiant so for me, if I can get a freebie for pre-ordering, then that is an excellent deal for me. I can probably get it discounted online or in a sweet package of books. I've liked what I've seen from the pre-order X-O bundles, too.

I've seen a lot of negatives on this and I just think that Valiant isn't doing stale business. They always think of new ways to do things and I support that. It comes with being a fan. I would rather do a pre-order bundle for a year of a title, which just feels like a subscription, than wade through 15 variants for a number 1.

I look at it like this: Valiant's books sell great for a number 1. It's probably to do with all the shop variants. Then, there's the big drop for all of the issues. I think this could be something that helps out the rest of the issues in the product line with keeping good sales numbers. It gets those books into the hands of fans and some shops might be able to get people to get the series this way. I try to look at the positives and really, if you don't do this, you can just pick up cover A.

Okay, back to your account inactivity controversy.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Joshua wrote:Time out.

I buy everything Valiant so for me, if I can get a freebie for pre-ordering, then that is an excellent deal for me. I can probably get it discounted online or in a sweet package of books. I've liked what I've seen from the pre-order X-O bundles, too.

I've seen a lot of negatives on this and I just think that Valiant isn't doing stale business. They always think of new ways to do things and I support that. It comes with being a fan. I would rather do a pre-order bundle for a year of a title, which just feels like a subscription, than wade through 15 variants for a number 1.

I look at it like this: Valiant's books sell great for a number 1. It's probably to do with all the shop variants. Then, there's the big drop for all of the issues. I think this could be something that helps out the rest of the issues in the product line with keeping good sales numbers. It gets those books into the hands of fans and some shops might be able to get people to get the series this way. I try to look at the positives and really, if you don't do this, you can just pick up cover A.

Okay, back to your account inactivity controversy.
:lol:

I agree - the positive side of this marketing idea is to hopefully guarantee a boost to the numbers over a full year. At the very least, there's plenty of us willing to commit to a year of a Valiant comic sight unseen. It's a nice reward for anyone who does commit, with no impact on any casual fans buying from month-to-month.