Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd #1

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

raiden
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite artist: Cary Nord
Re: Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd #1

Post by raiden »

raiden wrote:Maybe this will be a giveaway at record stores.
Answered my own question... $3.99 :?

https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/1 ... Sremmurd-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

raiden wrote:Anyone think this has more to do with VEI trying to get more cross-entertainment industry exposure along the lines of the Vans Warped Tour sponsorship? Shadowman didn't show up there, so maybe this is his music industry connection... although I have to think there must have been a better option than Rae Sremmud (who I'll admit I had never heard of until now).

Was the Faith/Keep-a-breast comic at the Warped Tour a freebie? Maybe this will be a giveaway at record stores. I don't really understand it otherwise.
Well, if you look at the hits those two videos that TheFerg posted, you'll see 500 million hits. Now, that's not 500 million different people, mind you, but say it's 100 million, or 50 million.

Let's say 50% of those people are hard core fans of theirs, which is possible, as they seem to be seriously known by the younger group of people.

SO that's 25 millionish people. If a portion of those people pick up the comic, win Valiant.

If a portion of those people pick up the new Shadowman, win Valiant
Moose

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

This is so stupid... facepalm
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

ShadowTuga wrote:This is so stupid... facepalm
Should have been Chapa Zero :wink:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

hawkeyeps wrote:

:lol:
Nah, just leave them musicians alone and tell good stories, that's what fans pay for.
This is gimmicky, awful and puts Valiant in a very bad place, imho. Can they still brag about quality of story first, after this... storyline/issue comes out and sucks? Even if it's good, or not bad, WHY? :? Besides $$$$$$, of course.

I don't get it, but the folks at VEI must know what they are doing, right? "This will bring the huge demographic of teen hip-hop fans who never read a comic, because they are all white guys, right? Shadowman is the hipster, new cool kid, AND he'll bring new readers who never cared for comics. Just watch."

facepalm
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

ShadowTuga wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:

:lol:
Nah, just leave them musicians alone and tell good stories, that's what fans pay for.
This is gimmicky, awful and puts Valiant in a very bad place, imho. Can they still brag about quality of story first, after this... storyline/issue comes out and sucks? Even if it's good, or not bad, WHY? :? Besides $$$$$$, of course.

I don't get it, but the folks at VEI must know what they are doing, right? "This will bring the huge demographic of teen hip-hop fans who never read a comic, because they are all white guys, right? Shadowman is the hipster, new cool kid, AND he'll bring new readers who never cared for comics. Just watch."

facepalm
:roll:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:SO that's 25 millionish people. If a portion of those people pick up the comic, win Valiant.

One has to assume that's the angle. Who knows. I hope it works.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I think this is about $ and reaching people. Doubt they are making much, but if they get 1/10 of 1% of the fans to look at this, (which honestly might be unrealistic) that would be a win.

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Well, I suppose it's not the worst crossover idea:

Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Glad to see I'm not alone in going WTF?
Rae Sremmurd, never heard of you. Unlike the Aerosmith issue from OG Valiant at least Aerosmith was an established act with credibility that longevity(despite the issue itself).
I expect Rae to drop off the musical relevancy scene in about 5 years or less.

All the Shadowman fans are chomping at the bit for the character to be revived after it's uneven and downward slide through 2013 and now this? THIS?!
I think we all get the necessity for the Magpie alias but that look has served it's purpose as well, it's got to go.

VEI this is a sad stumbling block of creative options.

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Captain Craig wrote:Glad to see I'm not alone in going WTF?
Rae Sremmurd, never heard of you. Unlike the Aerosmith issue from OG Valiant at least Aerosmith was an established act with credibility that longevity(despite the issue itself).

All the Shadowman fans are chomping at the bit for the character to be revived after it's uneven and downward slide through 2013 and now this? THIS?!
I think we all get the necessity for the Magpie alias but that look has served it's purpose as well, it's got to go.

I'd love to see Shadowman back and in a good direction.

This particular issue, as others have stated, opens up the potential for a larger audience for the character.

But, at the same time, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the direction they'll take things. I'll hope for the best in 2018... or at least something better than the Milligan issues.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Zhuge1 wrote:

This particular issue, as others have stated, opens up the potential for a larger audience for the character.

But, at the same time, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the direction they'll take things. I'll hope for the best in 2018... or at least something better than the Milligan issues.
I honestly am really *SQUEE* at the fact that the next Shadowman chapter starts with this. I have been patient ever since "I AM SHADOWMAN!" kinda *SQUEE* me off about what VEI was going to go with the character; then, after a boring run with 2 surprisingly stellar issues in there (0 and 10), we had character assassination in End Times, which followed a mini-run that apparently, doesn't matter, outside of bringing Mambo to the table. I was really excited when the Milligan series was hinting at a "Shadowman hunting rogue Loa" type- better than the aimless first run, imho.
Then Magpie, Darque's B-Atch. I liked the look, although the ropes are weird, and I'm liking the slow character rebuild. Ever since End Times ended, Shadowman has been really well handled, imho. Until this was announced.
I know that Valiant tributes the 90s a lot by ways of crazy variants since day 1, but this gimmicky comic is too damn much. What story could possibly come out of this that matters to the continuity? Magpie likes Hip-hop?

I a disappointed, both as a Shadowman fan (my fav Valiant character, if you can't tell by my username) and as a Valiant fan. I honestly can't comprehend this book's reason for existence.

Like I also don't understand the Colonel and GL thing- when I first saw that crap days ago I really loled.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:

I honestly am really *SQUEE* at the fact that the next Shadowman chapter starts with this. I have been patient ever since "I AM SHADOWMAN!" kinda *SQUEE* me off about what VEI was going to go with the character; then, after a boring run with 2 surprisingly stellar issues in there (0 and 10), we had character assassination in End Times, which followed a mini-run that apparently, doesn't matter, outside of bringing Mambo to the table. I was really excited when the Milligan series was hinting at a "Shadowman hunting rogue Loa" type- better than the aimless first run, imho.
Then Magpie, Darque's B-Atch. I liked the look, although the ropes are weird, and I'm liking the slow character rebuild. Ever since End Times ended, Shadowman has been really well handled, imho. Until this was announced.
I know that Valiant tributes the 90s a lot by ways of crazy variants since day 1, but this gimmicky comic is too damn much. What story could possibly come out of this that matters to the continuity? Magpie likes Hip-hop?

I a disappointed, both as a Shadowman fan (my fav Valiant character, if you can't tell by my username) and as a Valiant fan. I honestly can't comprehend this book's reason for existence.

Like I also don't understand the Colonel and GL thing- when I first saw that crap days ago I really loled.
Yeah, I can honestly say I wasn't thrilled about Justin Jordan's run on Shadowman initially (I didn't think it was bad -- just not great), however, I'd now say I pretty much miss his take on the character (especially after Milligan's run, including his work prior to End Times).

I expect this to be something along the lines of VEI's issue 11 (the Halloween fill-in issue with Doctor Mirage).

WhoDoo
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: XO 90's Zero issue
Favorite character: Pete
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa and Mico

Post by WhoDoo »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
raiden wrote:Anyone think this has more to do with VEI trying to get more cross-entertainment industry exposure along the lines of the Vans Warped Tour sponsorship? Shadowman didn't show up there, so maybe this is his music industry connection... although I have to think there must have been a better option than Rae Sremmud (who I'll admit I had never heard of until now).

Was the Faith/Keep-a-breast comic at the Warped Tour a freebie? Maybe this will be a giveaway at record stores. I don't really understand it otherwise.
Well, if you look at the hits those two videos that TheFerg posted, you'll see 500 million hits. Now, that's not 500 million different people, mind you, but say it's 100 million, or 50 million.

Let's say 50% of those people are hard core fans of theirs, which is possible, as they seem to be seriously known by the younger group of people.

SO that's 25 millionish people. If a portion of those people pick up the comic, win Valiant.

That was my thought as well. Just looking up more about them (Which I have never heard of them before) Looks like they have had a Billboard #1 song, 6 Billboard top 50, Won BET & Billboard award, Nominated for Kid's Choice Award, and have a platinum album, and last album sold 50,000 in first week which debut at #5 that week. Those are some impressive numbers.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I had never heard of this group either, but you can't argue with 500,000,000 views on YouTube.

Beyonce's "Single Ladies", the video that was the whole Kanye/Taylor Swift microphone steal only has 591million. Rae Sremmurd has two videos at 500million+.

I don't think it matters if I get it or not. A billion YouTube views on two videos is an untapped market. As long as the books are good, I don't mind anyone and everyone reading them with me.

GammaJosh
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

As you guys might imagine, I have some feelings about this! Rather than share them, let me just say that Rae Srummerd has a pretty massive audience, 100x bigger than A Sound of Thunder if you use social media following as a metric. So take this as a positive sign of growth. Three years ago Valiant was partnering with unsigned metal bands. Now they are partnered with an industry leading hip-hop group. Also, even though this is obviously a marketing-driven move, can't we be open to the possibility that the story will actually be good? I mean, having musicians as characters in the story doesn't automatically mean the story will be bad, right? Let's cross our fingers. Maybe it will be really good.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd #1

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Elliot Rahal is writing it, right? The story should be at least above average!

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

GammaJosh wrote:Also, even though this is obviously a marketing-driven move, can't we be open to the possibility that the story will actually be good? I mean, having musicians as characters in the story doesn't automatically mean the story will be bad, right? Let's cross our fingers. Maybe it will be really good.
Perhaps it will address the elephant in the room, which is that a couple of young musicians have an extremely large following which seems "ok" with heavy use of the n-word in their music. Maybe they'll meet Jimi Hendrix in the deadside and he'll have some things to teach them. It wouldn't be the first Valiant comic with Jimi. 8-)

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I miss Archer & Armstrong. :(
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t