Valiant Reading Order?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Valiant Reading Order?

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Keith wrote:Suggested modification for your FCBD list, SoS, if I may...

The 2017 FCBD issue also had a Bloodshot Salvation preview that was an exclusive story along the lines of the X-O prologue and other exclusive stories you've called out. Seems worthy of the same classification, don't you think?
Yes, you're certainly right! It's another exclusive prologue. Don't know why I didn't remember that? :!:

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Saw this on Twitter and thought it was great, especially for this topic. Not sure who did it, all credit to that person(s):

Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Sunlight on Snow

Keith wrote:Saw this on Twitter and thought it was great, especially for this topic. Not sure who did it, all credit to that person(s):

The idea is pretty cool... but there is no consistent order! :? :P

Sunlight on Snow

Jrosen wrote:Thanks for that post, it was extremely helpful.

I'm very new to valiant, and I'm really loving it. I appreciate all of the help in getting me up to speed on what to read and in what order.
No worries. Just keep asking.... and reading!

Are you strictly buying floppies (based on our recommendations/reading orders) or trades and hardcovers as well?

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Jrosen »

Buying floppies based on your reading order. They are also cheaper, when buying in large quantities and complete sets.

Keith

Post by Keith »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Keith wrote:Saw this on Twitter and thought it was great, especially for this topic. Not sure who did it, all credit to that person(s):

The idea is pretty cool... but there is no consistent order! :? :P
Definitely not, but I love the sense of overall order for which books are occurring when. I've tried thinking how Valiant would break down into seasons/series of a tv show, and love how this makes an attempt to map it out.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Does anyone have a bigger picture?

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

How does Savage enter all of this?

Keith

Post by Keith »

Jrosen wrote:

Does anyone have a bigger picture?
Image[/quote]

Sunlight on Snow

Here's a slightly different approach. Just a simple wall with all trades in (hopefully accurate) chronological order and a little more branding - be proud to be Valiant and show it! The last two trades haven't been released yet and there wasn't any spot left for Rapture. The SW trades hasn't even been announced yet.

Sunlight on Snow

Click to enlarge!

Sunlight on Snow

Jrosen wrote:How does Savage enter all of this?
SPOILER ALERT! By a plane crash and magic portal! :P

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Jrosen wrote:How does Savage enter all of this?
SPOILER ALERT! By a plane crash and magic portal! :P
Thanks. :funnypost:

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Quick update: I've finished reading XO/Harbinger/Bloodshot/Unity through Armor Hunters. I've also read the first arc of Eternal Warriors, and I'm nearly at the end (issue 20) of Archer and Armstrong.

I was able to pick up the entire series of Shadowman (not including 13x and Punk Mambo) and End Times for less than $0.50 an issue, and am working my way through that. So far I've enjoyed it, but I haven't hit number 11 yet.

I own all of the remaining XO, Ivar, Book of Death, the 4001 AD cross-over, Bloodshot Reborn, and Bloodshot USA. I still need to pick up the second arc of Eternal Warrior, all of the 3 Divinity series, the four one-shots for Book of Death, and finish buying Imperium (I'm missing the first arc) and The Valiant (have 1 and 4). These are all "guaranteed reads"

A few more questions on what else I should focus on,

For some reason I haven't found any deals on large lots of Quantum and Woody. Is that worth reading, and if it is, do I need to read that before I continue on after Armor Hunters.

How is Wrath of Eternal Warrior?

As for the more recent stuff. Are the two Britannia miniseries tied to the overall universe?

I've heard some negative things on this board for A&A: The Adventures of Archer and Armstrong. I have the first 5 issues, should I look into getting the rest?

What about the Ninjak series? Is it just Ninjak or does it pull any of the heroes from Unity into the story? I know that Ninjak 0 comes out this week, and I think there is a new Ninja-k series on the horizon.

Sunlight on Snow

Jrosen wrote:A few more questions on what else I should focus on,

For some reason I haven't found any deals on large lots of Quantum and Woody. Is that worth reading, and if it is, do I need to read that before I continue on after Armor Hunters.

How is Wrath of Eternal Warrior?

As for the more recent stuff. Are the two Britannia miniseries tied to the overall universe?

I've heard some negative things on this board for A&A: The Adventures of Archer and Armstrong. I have the first 5 issues, should I look into getting the rest?

What about the Ninjak series? Is it just Ninjak or does it pull any of the heroes from Unity into the story? I know that Ninjak 0 comes out this week, and I think there is a new Ninja-k series on the horizon.
Q&W are something else - they're totally nuts, they're the world's worst superhero team for a reason! It's a fun read if you don't expect it to be a serious book. If you do, you may have a problem with its level of madness and mockery. It has almost no tie-ins and connections to the rest of the VU, however, they do make a few cameos in other books. Just stick to the Q&W reading order.

Wrath of EW is a different type of superhero book and absolutely brilliant and an essential read for VEI's EW. Read it after BoD!

Britannia - no!

The Adventures of A&A - The first arc is hard to get through especially the art (sorry, not a fan). Issue #5 "The Date" is cool and standalone. The next 2 arcs are much better than the first but it doesn't help the series to be more than just average and there's a certain level of madness that even tops Q&W!

Ninjak - There's lots of other VU characters showing up in Ninjak, mainly Neville Alcott from MI-6 but that's obvious as he's Ninjak's handler. #1-9 mainly introduce new villains. After that other characters from the VU show up in major supporting roles and some arcs are essential for later series. No spoilers and names: #10-13 is essential for Rapture. #22-26 is essential for some characters' continuity. #27 is a standalone issue that's completely different and refreshing. If you want to pick up the new series before (finishing) reading Matt Kindt's series, I recommend reading Ninjak #1 and #27 only, and do not read the #0 issue unless you do not plan to read the previous series at all - it probably contains recaps.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

I finished up Shadowman and Shadowman End of Times. I can see why people didn't like the second half of the series. It's like they completely rebooted the character after book 12. Personally, I think if I read the second half of the series before the first, I would have liked the second half better.

That said, does Shadowman appear before Rapture? And what's the deal with the one-shot with Rae Sremmurd? I'm not a hip-hop aficionado, and I have no idea who Rae Sremmurd is.

Also, read the Delinquents. It's wasn't the best storyline, but it wasn't terrible. This was my only foray into Quantum and Woody, so far. Would this story be a typical Q&W story arc in the series? It wasn't the goofiness that threw me off, but it didn't seem to flow from one book to the next very well. I still haven't been able to find any good lot sales for Q&W, and I don't know if its worth $15 for each trade volume. I'm trying to stay to $2 or less per book.

Lastly, do I need read Rai 1-8 before I take on the 4001 a.d. cross-over? I don't own those yet, and I haven't really looked for them.

Beside skipping the Q&W series and Rai, I'm now up to X-O Manowar 0 in the reading order that I've been following:

https://sothatyoumayfollow.wordpress.co ... ing-order/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that's like 170 stories and still going strong!

Keith

Post by Keith »

Jrosen wrote:That said, does Shadowman appear before Rapture?
<cough>Ninjak 10-13<cough>
Jrosen wrote:And what's the deal with the one-shot with Rae Sremmurd? I'm not a hip-hop aficionado, and I have no idea who Rae Sremmurd is.
Right there with you. I’m going to assume it’s out of continuity, even though Dr. Mirage also appears in it. I’m going to wait and see what others have to say about it before deciding to buy.
Jrosen wrote:Also, read the Delinquents. It's wasn't the best storyline, but it wasn't terrible. This was my only foray into Quantum and Woody, so far. Would this story be a typical Q&W story arc in the series?
Pretty much, though I think the collaboration of Asmus and Van Lente amped up things a level or two. Some of the humor is almost too smart. I can easily picture them congratulating each other on how witty they were. The first arc of Q&W is great, along with the Goat #0 and “Valiant Sized” issue that came out down the line. Check those out, for sure.
Jrosen wrote:Lastly, do I need read Rai 1-8 before I take on the 4001 a.d. cross-over? I don't own those yet, and I haven't really looked for them.
Yes. Definitely read Rai 1-12 before 4001 AD.

Sunlight on Snow

Keith wrote:
Jrosen wrote:And what's the deal with the one-shot with Rae Sremmurd? I'm not a hip-hop aficionado, and I have no idea who Rae Sremmurd is.
Right there with you. I’m going to assume it’s out of continuity, even though Dr. Mirage also appears in it. I’m going to wait and see what others have to say about it before deciding to buy.
Rahal/Guedes, guys! I expect it to be good.... as in SM #0/10 good!
Keith wrote:
Jrosen wrote:Also, read the Delinquents. It's wasn't the best storyline, but it wasn't terrible. This was my only foray into Quantum and Woody, so far. Would this story be a typical Q&W story arc in the series?
Pretty much, though I think the collaboration of Asmus and Van Lente amped up things a level or two. Some of the humor is almost too smart. I can easily picture them congratulating each other on how witty they were. The first arc of Q&W is great, along with the Goat #0 and “Valiant Sized” issue that came out down the line. Check those out, for sure.
Goat #0 and Valiant-Sized are awesome. They are the QW equivalents to SM #0/10. :lol:

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Still going strong.

I just finished the 14 floppies of the wrath of the eternal warrior. It was great. Is there any follow-up? I'm hoping he's not staying dead.

I saw on the VEI website that there was a one shot with the eternal warrior. Is that related to this series at all? Are there any other one shots like Immortal Brothers and Shadowman Rae Sremmurd?

Also got through the first two arcs of Ninjak. I thought the first arc was perfect, but the pacing of the second arc was too quick.

I finally found a deal on some Q&W floppies. I picked up the Valiant sized in my lcs' 50 cent bin. It was good, but I wouldn't equate to shadowman 10.

I still need to find the first two arcs of Rai. I own the 4001 series, but I want to hold off until I can find a deal on 1-8.

I'm about to start A&A, but I don't have high hopes.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Jrosen wrote:Still going strong.

I just finished the 14 floppies of the wrath of the eternal warrior. It was great. Is there any follow-up? I'm hoping he's not staying dead.

I saw on the VEI website that there was a one shot with the eternal warrior. Is that related to this series at all? Are there any other one shots like Immortal Brothers and Shadowman Rae Sremmurd?

Also got through the first two arcs of Ninjak. I thought the first arc was perfect, but the pacing of the second arc was too quick.

I finally found a deal on some Q&W floppies. I picked up the Valiant sized in my lcs' 50 cent bin. It was good, but I wouldn't equate to shadowman 10.

I still need to find the first two arcs of Rai. I own the 4001 series, but I want to hold off until I can find a deal on 1-8.

I'm about to start A&A, but I don't have high hopes.

The Eternal Warrior: Awakening one-shot isn't related to WRATH's plot, but I do feel like it's a nice coda to that series and both are written by Robert Venditti. Besides the one-shot there's been no more Eternal Warrior, yet. He's still in the heavens having dinner with his family. But there's plenty of Gilad to be had in Unity, X-O, A&A, Timewalker, Book of Death, 4001AD, and Legend of the Geomancer.

There's also a RAI one-shot, Rai: The History of the Valiant Universe. It's kinda like the old RAI #0 where it lays out all of Valiant's history and future. Unfortunately it doesn't show us anything we haven't already seen. It's still neat tho. Gilad's in that too.

The 4001AD series is really the fourth RAI arc. #13-16 are by CAFU and they tell the story of all the previous RAIs, leading right up to the first issue. Ideally you'll want to read #1-12, then 4001AD #1-4.

A&A and Q&W are both great! EDIT: Fred Van Lente A&A that is.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

I've read all the miniseries (Book of Death, BOD one-shots, Legend of the Geomancer, The Valiant) along with Unity (0-14), Timewalker, A&A (first series), and XO (through 42). I still need to find the remaining Unity books (15-25) to finish out that series.

I own Rai 9-16, the 4001 ad miniseries, and the one-shots that go with it. I haven't started them yet. There is a sale at my LCS in a couple weeks on backissues, and I'm hoping to pick up Rai 1-8 then.

I really liked the Death Defying Doctor Mirage series, and I hope she returns with the new Shadowman series in 2018.

The only series that are not on my radar are Savage and Britannia. Are they worth reading? Am I right that they don't tie into the VEI universe quite yet?

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Yes they are both great!

Savage does have ties to the greater Valiant universe. Britannia does not, yet.

Keith

Post by Keith »

Jrosen wrote:The only series that are not on my radar are Savage and Britannia. Are they worth reading? Am I right that they don't tie into the VEI universe quite yet?
Definitely worth reading, as they are both entertaining stories. The connections to the universe are definitely more subtle, but they are there.

Keith

Post by Keith »

kinggirlfriend wrote:Britannia does not, yet.
Or does it? :hm:

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

I just finished the first issue of A&A. Did I miss something in the first series that talked about his satchel being magical. I'm very confused on where this all came from.