Barry Windsor-Smith signature on X-O Manowar # 1

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
Re: Barry Windsor-Smith signature on X-O Manowar # 1

Post by Juki »

Wow depluto,

That is a nice bold signature. It looks like BWS signed while taking fencing lessons (like “the mark of Zorro”). :clap:
The sig does look like it is changing. Was this around 2000?

Those are 3 cool comics to have sigs on. Solar #2 is a great cover. I’ll bet there are not many Bloodshot #1s with BWS signatures either.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Does anyone ever remember Frank Miller signing any Valiant comics in the 90s? I haven’t really noticed any of his sigs on Valiant comics through the years until more recently (I’ve seen CGC SS Valiants done within the last few years). Back in the day, did he freely sign (ala Shooter and Layton)?.... or was he stingy like BWS?

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Took me a while to remember to take this photo. It's one of my oldest Valiant things I own, box set of 4 books, signed by Barry, Shooter and Walt Simonson. I never met Shooter or Walt, I bought it signed by all three. I have other BWS signatures as I had met him at least 3 times. Obsessed. But this was a long long time ago. It's beat to hell cause the younger me did not understand the value of autographs and keeping things nice. I read those so many times.

Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Wow... that is great. It does look like you loved to read it. The Walt sig is interesting with the “big O.” The BWS sig looks similar to the one on depluto’s Solar #1.
Last edited by Juki on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:56:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Juki wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:29:58 pm Does anyone ever remember Frank Miller signing any Valiant comics in the 90s? I haven’t really noticed any of his sigs on Valiant comics through the years until more recently (I’ve seen CGC SS Valiants done within the last few years). Back in the day, did he freely sign (ala Shooter and Layton)?.... or was he stingy like BWS?
He signed an Eternal Warrior 1 for me a few years ago in Orlando. I sat through his panel because it gave me a 1-in-6 chance of getting a ticket for his signing. When it was time to sign we had to line up (about 200 people) in a fenced off area. When it was my turn he didn't look up, acknowledge anybody in any way ... he just grabbed the book, signed and pushed it off to the side. I wouldn't really call it rude, but he didn't regard me any higher than he would a turd on the bottom of his shoe.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

depluto wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39:48 am
Juki wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:29:58 pm Does anyone ever remember Frank Miller signing any Valiant comics in the 90s? I haven’t really noticed any of his sigs on Valiant comics through the years until more recently (I’ve seen CGC SS Valiants done within the last few years). Back in the day, did he freely sign (ala Shooter and Layton)?.... or was he stingy like BWS?
He signed an Eternal Warrior 1 for me a few years ago in Orlando. I sat through his panel because it gave me a 1-in-6 chance of getting a ticket for his signing. When it was time to sign we had to line up (about 200 people) in a fenced off area. When it was my turn he didn't look up, acknowledge anybody in any way ... he just grabbed the book, signed and pushed it off to the side. I wouldn't really call it rude, but he didn't regard me any higher than he would a turd on the bottom of his shoe.
I’ve never met any of the Valiant creators/artists/writers. But, hopefully he was in a rush for some reason and doesn’t act that way consistently. That does seem like a missed opportunity to interact with the fans. I could see being very quick with each person since there were so many. But, not to look up and at least say “Hi... thanks for coming” seems a little arrogant.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

depluto wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39:48 am
If that was my experience signing books, I probably wouldn't ever do it either. Must be a character.

paradise
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Juki wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:17:18 pm I’ve never met any of the Valiant creators/artists/writers. But, hopefully he was in a rush for some reason and doesn’t act that way consistently. That does seem like a missed opportunity to interact with the fans. I could see being very quick with each person since there were so many. But, not to look up and at least say “Hi... thanks for coming” seems a little arrogant.
The old bunch were really high on themselves back in the day. Frank has always been Frank, and it's only gotten worse. Neal Adams loves me but he's a jerk to many others. We had booths back to back at Wondercon last year, and he wanted to take a photo together while I was up in the air setting up my shelves. You can't say no to Neal Adams.

I guess I have been around for a long time to where I have have had personal relationships with many of the OG creators (Layton, Kevin Van Hook, Bart Sears, Bernard Chang) plus met a BUNCH of others (too long to list, including BWS about 3-4 times) and Frank Miller (does he count) MANY times as I used to hang out at Golden Apple in mid-90s and Frank was a regular. This was a different time. John Romita Jr. would get me my subscriptions from the back once in a while, wild. He'd just hang around the shop for hours. I stood in line for all the Image creators in the 90s, but since then have become friends with most of them, and I get a lot from them by mentioning those 5 hour lines. (How do you think I have a Marc Silvestri X-O sketch? He hates the character after drawing him in Deathmate).

As far as the new crop, I can say that I probably have met and been friend(ly) with most of the creators. Some of the nicest people I have known in this industry, and many are good friends. Matt Kindt, Robert Vditti, Philip Tan, Jody Houser, Mico, DYSART, James Asmus are all people I see or hear from somewhat regularly. Most have signed at my stores, some have slept on my couch, others will in the near future, I hope. Vditti was my sales rep at his old job before he wrote comics. Dino and I used to trade art waaaaaaaay before he started the company.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

The new crop....“Some of the nicest people I have known in this industry, and many are good friends.”

That is great to hear. It sounds like the relationships you have made with all of these creators have been very positive. Now... that’s how it should be. :)

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

geocarr wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:40:22 pm
Juki wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:30:24 pm
geocarr wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:23:10 pm
Juki wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:20:26 am I have read that Barry Windsor-Smith doesn't sign comics. How rare is his signature on the 1992 X-O Manowar #1 ? Did BWS sign a lot back then? I have one issue signed by BWS and Bob Layton. I have seen tons of Valiant comics signed by Layton and Shooter. But, I have not seen any signed by BWS (other than this one). I was thinking of sending it to CBCS for their verified signature program if it might be a true rarity. What do you think?
Did you ever send it to CBCS?

Has anybody else ever seen a X-O Manowar #1 signed by BWS?
Funny you should mention.... I just sent it off last week to CBCS along with 3 other comics for my first submission to them. They e-mailed me a few days ago saying it was received and placed in their vault awaiting service. It will probably take some time. I have never seen another X-O #1 signed by BWS.

I told CBCS if they cannot verify the signatures (BWS and Bob Layton) not to grade. For some reason, CBCS downgrades the comic if they can’t verify a signature to about a 7. If they can’t verify then I will send to CGC for green label. But, I’m kind of interested to see what happens with CBCS verified signature service.
:thumb: Good Luck!! :hope:
CBCS received my submission on May 30th 2020. After 5 months I emailed them to check on things. This was their response:

“This invoice still has a few weeks to go, and once completed you will get an email updating you with the tracking # as well.
Hope you are staying safe and if you need anything else please let us know!”

On a side note; I did see another X-O #1 comic signed by BWS on the inside first page sold on E-Bay a couple of weeks ago.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

I am not sure if the signatures were verified or not by the above response by CBCS.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

I have always been curious how CBCS "verifies" signatures when not in the presence of the signer. Cool story and good luck with the books.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

That's awesome. At least he signed some of those back issues. His run on A&A 1-12 is the best comics ever.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

tarheelmarine wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:35:29 pm I have always been curious how CBCS "verifies" signatures when not in the presence of the signer. Cool story and good luck with the books.
It's done via a computer program that has the sigs on file. The computer then compares the two and based on how well they match they are verified or unverified. It is a very reliable service..like all systems mistakes do happen. My Kirby auto I got from him was deemed not authentic, even though I got it in person. I still trust it.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Ramses818 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:22:41 pm It's done via a computer program that has the sigs on file. The computer then compares the two and based on how well they match they are verified or unverified. It is a very reliable service..like all systems mistakes do happen. My Kirby auto I got from him was deemed not authentic, even though I got it in person. I still trust it.
As a dude with a day job in computers and some experience in this area, this phrase "The computer then compares the two and based on how well they match they are verified or unverified" made me cringe.

Computers still have trouble deciding if Andre and Andrea are the same person based on the typed out name, much less a squiggle of an autograph.

greg

Post by greg »

paradise wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:25:12 am It's beat to hell cause the younger me did not understand the value of autographs and keeping things nice.
How "young" were you in 1994? Because that's the youngest you could have been and have a Unity Saga slipcase to destroy. I get the feeling you were definitely younger than now, but not exactly a kid. :lol:

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The above statement is what CBCS has listed on their website about “verified signatures.”

greg

Post by greg »

Juki wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:18:01 am Image

The above statement is what CBCS has listed on their website about “verified signatures.”
People review the signatures, not computer matching.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

greg wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:55:42 pm

Last time I used it , it was a computer. That is what they also told me at Long Beach Comic Con this past year. I wonder what is the truth? Computer, person or a combination of both? I would really like to know.

greg

Post by greg »

Ramses818 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:59:43 pm
greg wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:55:42 pm

Last time I used it , it was a computer. That is what they also told me at Long Beach Comic Con this past year. I wonder what is the truth? Computer, person or a combination of both? I would really like to know.
If it's computer matching, I can tell you it's worse than human expert opinion guessing.
Computers still don't know the difference between Chihuahuas and blueberry muffins, and no one is counterfeiting either of those.
:lol:
blueberrymuffins.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

In some countries, the chihuahua/muffin thing wouldn't represent any problems as both are eaten.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

greg

Post by greg »

lorddunlow wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:09:12 pm In some countries, the chihuahua/muffin thing wouldn't represent any problems as both are eaten.
Both are eaten... :hm:

... by computers that can't tell the difference?!? :o

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Now I don’t think I can eat a Blueberry Muffin for a while without worrying about it being a Chihuahua head!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Juki wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:51:17 pm Now I don’t think I can eat a Blueberry Muffin for a while without worrying about it being a Chihuahua head!
Like most other humans, I can easily tell if the object in my hand is a blueberry muffin or a chihuahua head. I would not want to eat a blueberry muffin.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

After a long wait I got this back from CBCS Verified Sigs 9.6